Global Warming will make the days longer?

So...if global warming hypothetically occurs and ice melts and ocean levels rise, does that mean that days will start to be longer since the liquid on a rotating object will move to the extremities slowing down it's rotation? An analogy to this could be a figure skater who keeps her knees and arms in close to her in order to spin faster and releases her arms and legs to slow her spin.

Other urls found in this thread:

scientificamerican.com/article/global-warming-shortens-day/
youtube.com/watch?v=9xvuHMgPq38
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most of the earth is not liquid water.the amount is so negligible that it won't effect it

Figure skaters move slower with their arms out due to air resistance, whereas the Earth is suspended in a vacuum, thus no air resistance.

Most of the ice caps are near the poles so it would be more like her legs shortening which has no effect.

This makes sense. I don't think the reduce in speed is solely because of air resistance. ice caps would melt so liquid would move because centrifuge.

I just googled it and you're right, mass farther away from the axis does in fact slow the rotational velocity down. So in order to figure out how much slower, we would need to calculate the mass of the ice caps and the distance it would add to the equator.

>what is rotational momentum
Even satellites use this principle in stabilizing slings, look it up and buy/pirate a physics textbook while you're at it.

25-30million km^3 -> km^3 can be converted to Litres (m^3 = L) so if all the polar ice caps melt that's 2.75*10^13 extra litres of water on earth if they all melted. seems pretty feeble to even try to figure it out actually

Since the rotational energy (Erot = 1/2 Inertia angular_frequency^2) of earth wouldn't change, I assume, the moment of inertia about earth's equatorial axis and angular frequency would follow this equation

I_current w_current^2 = I_noice w_current^2

where I_current and I_noice are the inertia of our current planet and earth with no ice, respectively. Same notion for w, which is the angular frequency.

Since I assume the rotational energy wouldn't change, earth would have to adjust it's angular frequency, in order for the equation to stay true. Which way I'm not 100%, but I suspect that it would indeed make the days longer.

Quick followup:

Curiously, slowing down earth's angular frequency would actually decrease centrifugal forces on the oceans. So, the oceans would come closer to minimum decompression, and thus change the inertia, again.

So it's actually a bit complicated, since the inertia of earth's rotational axis appears to be nonlinear.

Good detective work Denmork

your reasoning here is good. See this for a fuller explanation scientificamerican.com/article/global-warming-shortens-day/

TLDR: the article actually says the increasd bulge at the middle will be more than offset by water overrunning shallw areas near the poles, which if I read right means the bulge will actually be less.
Still it's an interesting quesiton if this is measurable. Sure the water on earth has to be several orders of magnitude smaller than the solid mass. But our measurement of rotational time is similarly precise to many significant digits.

Wrong. 1 dm^3 = 1 L.

You're right mexico its getting late for me

That is quite surprising. It just goes show how complex a system something like Earth actually is.

The difference between accounting for temperature changes, and just accounting for melted ice is apparently pretty drastic.

yah, the toughness of predicting with confidence how systems as complex as the atmosphere or oceans will react is what took climatologists so long to approach today's near unanimity on warming being anthropological. There is a lot of chemistry going on in the atmosphere and the oceans and the fact that both are constantly moving can't make it easier.

>all these faggots who think global warming is real

You're an idiot. We're talking about a hypothetical situation where if the polar ice caps were to melt, what that effect would be on the earths rotation.

But global warming isn't real, explain antarctic sheet expanding youtube.com/watch?v=9xvuHMgPq38

You fucking piece of shit you didn't even try to read.

>not knowing what seasonal ice sheets are
I love nige though don't get me wrong
no?

Who needs to read when we already know that it's your theory is groundless and pretty impossible as the ice is only moving not completely melting, the only way it'd happen is if there was a catastrophic event that we wouldn't even be alive to see the affect on the poles.

You are a fucking idiot.

>rotating

still.

Man made climate change is DA JEWS. But yes, it would technically make the days longer. How much longer, you ask? That calculation becomes a problem because the earth isn't a perfect sphere to begin with. The exact displacement of the water would be nearly impossible to determine, but the majority would bulk around the equator. The maximum distance the sea level can possibly rise is about 230 feet, while the radius of the earth is immensely greater in magnitude. Therefore, I would guess that the lengthening of the day would be somewhere in the same order of magnitude as a few pico or femtoseconds.

If high tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon, then the moon loses potential energy each time it causes the tides. Why hasn't the moon fallen from the sky yet?

It would be opposite. Days would get faster, as ice melts and the water flows closer to the centre of the earth.
Effects would be minimal though.

Funfact: Apparantly the worlds largest dam in china have built up a large enough resovoir of water to slow down the earth by like 1/10 of a micro-second or something

>he doesn't know the difference between surface area and volume

>Why hasn't the moon fallen from the sky yet?

What makes you think it should have fallen?

It constantly falls towards earth. That's what keeps it in orbit.

THEY
WERE
FREEING
SLAVES
CAPTURED
BY
MUSLIMS
READ
THE
FUCKING
HISTORY
BOOKS
NOT
WIKIPEDIA
YOU
DEGENERATES

>swedish education

>Man made climate change is DA JEWS
Can you redpill me? I've learned a lot on Sup Forums tonight already, I feel like I can handle all of it

If anything, it would make rotation faster, since liquid water is denser than ice. But anyway the axis of rotation goes through the poles so the effect should be insignificant