South Carolina here. Ask me anything

South Carolina here. Ask me anything.

What is the difference between NC and SC, other than that SC is more redneck?

Do they take it in the ass over there?

NC is bigger and has more money due to the fact that they had a gold rush at one point which caused a lot of banks to move into North Carolina. Other than size and money, the two states are culturally more similar to each other than any other two American states would probably be.

Some do. I'm an exit only type fella myself.

What's your opinion on east TN?

how old are you? what is your political orientation? what is your race?

My mom's family is from East TN, around Maryville, and we go vacationing in that area. I'm pretty fond of it.

23, white. I was raised in a Conservative Republican household, became Libertarian in high school as a way to rebel against my parents without becoming a liberal which I thought was lame, and I remained a libertarian for a good while after finding out what they are really stand for. Nowadays, I find myself going leftward socially every day. Part of that is a reaction against the current presidential administration, and part of it is just me not really knowing where I stand on some things.

what are race relations like in south carolina? did you vote on the election?

They aren't as bad as in other states including some very close to here, but they aren't exactly fantastic here either. We were the first southern state to elect a black senator since Reconstruction, but we also had two of the biggest acts of racial violence in recent memory.

South Carolina is a state full of good people and most every South Carolinian you meet will mean and want nothing but the best for you. However, this state has a very long history and a good bit of that history is not pretty at all, especially when it comes to race- this history contributes in some way to the identity of every South Carolinian, for better or worse.

As for the election, I voted, yeah.

56%???

No, I live in one of the whitest areas in the entire United States. Very rural, and not very many non-white people at all. My ancestry is Scottish, English, and Dutch, with the small possibility of a tardrop from back in the Plantation Days.

Were your family slave owners?
Who did you vote for? Also, I'm assuming you're mostly talking about White-Black relations? Or are you including Hispanics and Asians as well?

What is tardrop??

Charleston looks like a good city from pics and stuffs but is it really a good place to live?

Looks like a MENA themed flag

>Maryville
It's a good place as far as I know.
I've been in Charleston before, it was a lot of fun. I felt pretty safe, too.

Some of my family were slaveowners, others were not even in the United States yet when slavery was allowed in the US. So, yes and no depending on which part of my family.

I voted for a third party for president because I knew Trump was going to win SC anyway and didn't really give a shit since I hated both candidates. I voted for Tim Scott, but not for Lindsey Graham.

As for race relations, the way races are treated in South Carolina is a bit like this:

Whites = South Asians (Indians) > Other Asians > Blacks = Hispanics > Mixed Race

My cousins are both mixed Hispanic-white girls entering elementary school and I think seeing them grow up and being protective of them like I am may be one of the things making me move left politically.

A single drop of African blood resulting from being an unrecognized and illegitimate descendant of a slave and their owners. It is not uncommon for Southerners with deep enough roots to find somebody back in their family tree with one very wealthy parent and one "Unknown" parent.

Never lived there myself, but I've got friends who do. They absolutely love it there. The only negative compared to where I live in the Upstate, they say, is a lack of good moonshine and the constant faint smell of fish. Great city though. I go pretty often to visit.

R u Uni student?? And do u like Obama??

God I fucking love this cat

>Some of my family were slaveowners, others were not even in the United States yet when slavery was allowed in the US. So, yes and no depending on which part of my family.
How does a topic like that get brought up when growing up? Or do Southern families don't discuss it at all?
>Whites = South Asians (Indians) > Other Asians > Blacks = Hispanics > Mixed Race
Why are South Asians considered on par with Whites? And why are Mixed Race on the bottom?

Do you have any non-White friends?

>My cousins are both mixed Hispanic-white girls entering elementary school
Interesting, how did your family react to the mixed marriages? Also, what kind of Hispanics are there in South Carolina?

Sorry I forgot to ask in my other comment

>ask a [random US state] anything thread
>it's actually sort of interesting
bravo, Mr. Underwood

Why are south asians treated so well in SC?

I graduated this past spring. I am currently starting off my teaching career and I plan to go to grad school in a few years at ECU or somewhere with a similar program.

It really is cute af.

Like I said, the state has a lot of history, so any observant child comes home and asks "Mama, why is our name in that schoolbook about the old people and the Civil War?" Then a conversation happens. Interestingly enough, my first real encounter with a non-white person was watching Bulls highlights and Space Jam and seeing Michael Jordan as my hero.

Indians specifically are considered on par with whites because the ones who immigrate to South Carolina generally have money, education, and conservative values, which is enough to easily win over the Old Guard folks down in Charleston and Columbia.

I have a decent amount of non-white acquaintances. I only have a few people I would really call "friends", and in that group one is black and one is Hispanic. Several people in my family have been in mixed marriages, and in general their reaction has depended on the person being married. One of my aunts married a drunk, alcoholic black man who beats her, so we obviously didn't like that, but one of my uncles married a black woman who works as a secretary at a law firm and it was all good. The father of the cousins I previously mentioned saved my aunt's life by personally keeping her away from a relapse into a cocaine addiction, so we really like him, but I had a cousin who eloped with a Honduran gangbanger and had three kids before he just suddenly left her one day. Not very cool.

In South Carolina, about 60% of Hispanics are Mexican and 40% from elsewhere.

I'm going to bed. If this thread is still going in the morning, I'll try to answer any questions.

>tfw Lindsey Graham likely blew the chances of South Carolina actually producing an irl president in my life time

I think I know you, you was the kid that was sent to that camp... whats the name...

PRAY THE GAY AWAY????

Mike... ???
Mike Hoc ???