Is airbending underpowered compared to everything else

Is airbending underpowered compared to everything else.

>what about the one character that can fly

Thats 1 guy

>Is airbending underpowered compared to everything else.

Nope. Opposite is true. Standard air bending is stronger than any other element (excluding special types like blood, lava, metal ect).

Only blood bending is stronger, and that is usually circumstantial and can only be countered by a trained avatar.

90% sure that an airbender could give you botulism, somehow.

They can also probably manipulate the air pressure around your face and just make your head explode, or direct gale force winds into every orifice if your body at once, but yknow

By all accounts air is the strongest with fire being a close two. Fire is extremely down played due to it being a kids show, but it can do a ton of shit. Healing, lightning, limited flight, and heat siphoning.

When has fire bending ever been used to heal? You're thinking of water bending and healers were rare.

Korra after being knocked da fuck out and landing on that firebending island during season 2. It's possible that it's only for spiritual healing.

I don't even remember. I don't remember much from season 2.

That wasn't firebending, they used a pool of Spirit Water for that, they kind of just lowered her into it, no bending required.

Airbending at it's base is really quite strong and very versatile but yeah it lacks subforms, it doesn't have anything like Metal, Lava, Blood, or Lightningbending or healing.

Water is probably the MOST versatile, it's only issue is you need a source for it all the time.

If you're going for lethal, air would be best.
Just force all the air out of everyone's lungs in a small area and watch them all collapse.

Also Korra was never physically too hurt there, they just did that to strengthen her connection to the past Avatars and stuff so she could restore her memories. It was the only way Wan could talk to her too since he was SO FAR back in the line.

Let's not forget the time someone finally sucked the air out of a person's lungs. Shit was so cash.

Couldn't you airbend some air into their veins and give then the bends or something

Yeah, frankly the only reason the Airbenders WEREN'T known as the deadly force in the world was their own philosphy and principles.

Fire seems to be the only thing you don't need a source for, it's just that earth and air are much more pervasive than water.

>Earthbend an airbender into space
>No air to bend
checkmate

Yeah, the only bender type that can make their own element is fire benders. And that's only when it's not too cold.

Airbending is only weak due to the show's age rating, even without affecting air inside living things.
Everyone is surrounded by air at nearly all times. How are you going to dodge that? You'd be sliced like an onion by the time a water or fire projectile can travel halfway to your opponent.

But that applies to pretty much everything

The air monks are pacifistic, so airbending comes off looking weak and faggy.

There's a lot more you could do with it (assuming being a faggy monk isn't a strict prerequisite for learning airbending).

Like, you should be able to score an instant KO on anyone just by collapsing their lungs. It's not even part of the body like with blood and bloodbending, just gotta stick your magic power down the other guy's throat-hole and pull

>It's not even part of the body

clarifying: the air IN your lungs is not part of your body. your lungs obviously are

Yeah basically, what Zaheer did to the Earth Queen was an excellent example of what Airbenders COULD DO if they weren't almost all pacifist.

Also, air being a gas (or several gasses), airbenders should be able to do some interesting and powerful things with expansion/compression, like say, compressing the air around someone to superheat it and burn them, or expanding it so a firebender's flame doesn't have the oxygen to reach you

Basicly combustion bending

Which is well withing the airbending range

Aang'smentorsurroundedbydeadfirenationguys.jpg

I think the dead airbender guy surrounded by a dozen dead firebender guys would say no

eh... you'd have to put them in a bubble of high pressure first, and then take the pressure away instantaneously. i'm not sure any air bender is that powerful. trying to do it within the bloodstream itself is not feasible

So by that extension, was combustion man part airbender? Enough for him to do what he did anyway.

I don't think so
His powers seemed to come from different

this defies the laws of thermodynamics without matter to fuel the flames. it would make more sense to say that firebenders have the ability to make the oxygen in the air hyperreactive. i think this would explain cold air being harder to ignite because of low temperatures. apparently liquid oxygen is not flammable...

water benders, if able to make ice or cool the humidity around them would make any air attacks weaker from the air molecules contracting and becoming less energetic, but if it doesn't work they might risk frostbite

Firebenders could fly too.

No, not really.

I think overall, waterbending is probably the strongest, considering all that it's capable of. But to be honest, we never really saw all that airbending was capable of, probably. I could see there being some badass sound-bending air ninjas or something. Too bad Avatar is dead outside of the comics and that we'll never get a glimpse into the past of the Avatar world to see this kind of shit.

I'm not sure how you guys got that air or firebending was stronger than waterbending.

Standard waterbending is pretty meh and the scarcest element, it's the special techniques that are stupid OP.

It's really not a big problem if waterbenders carry some water with them or pull it out of the atmosphere.

A waterbending master is something to be afraid of. Honestly if anything, the Avatar world is more or less balanced when it comes to bending, but waterbending probably has the edge overall.

>sound-bending
Examples?

>Fire comes from the breath

Takes forever to pull off, though.

you can cauterize with fire but they can't put a wound that brutal in a kid's show

I said I *could* see it happening. It's theoretically possible with what airbending is capable of.

Lots of people iirc were throwing around ideas about 'vortex-bending' and bending the air out of peoples' lungs, and that's what Zaheer did to the Earth Queen. Well the later at least.

I just watched it actually. I'm pretty sure the fire monks were bending fire over her in the same manner a water bender does to heal you. I highly doubt that those two actions aren't related.

That's a cool theory I always assumed it a fire bender was closest to the old benders in that they are using their own energy to bend.

Remember how Gyatso was able to defeat at least half a dozen comet powered firebenders by himself? It's not that airbending is underpowered, it's just that we never really get to see it used to it's full potential.

Dontcha just love how the deadliest bending power goes to the most pacified group of people on the planet.

Maybe that's why?
Though I don't think it's any deadlier than the rest. It's all about application

bunch of neckbeards in this thread admiting that avatar was just a kids show, but they still care about it

how embarassing

Doubt any water bender is powerful enough for this but theoretically one could heat an enemy's blood by a huge amount really rapidly, exploding them in an instant from the rapid increase in energy.