What do you guys think of Mortal Kombat which has had like two crossovers with DC characters and countless comics so is...

What do you guys think of Mortal Kombat which has had like two crossovers with DC characters and countless comics so is totally Sup Forums-related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1uZwA4Qu4bI
youtu.be/fF9lWOAvPt0
youtube.com/watch?v=nGbB8cC54Nc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i think the lore is stupid in a interesting sorta way

One of my three favorite fighters.

The story is actually really interesting, even if it goes off-the-wall-crazy sometimes.

Still mad that the DC comic killed off pretty much the whole old cast.

MK has, without a doubt, the best story in any fighting game.

Pretty sure the vast majority come back in the game itself.

True, but if you aren't in MKX (and your name isn't Sheeva, Goro, or Onaga) you're dead.

Did we really lose anyone of value, though?

The original trilogy has aged poorly (especially 1), but are good to go back to for a bit of nostalgia. I haven't played 4, but it looks like it's only remembered for "I'm so gay" for a reason. Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon were objectively shitty games, but I got into the series from them, so I still like them. MK9's story mode difficulty bullshit is patronizing, but it and X are kickass fighting games that took the best from modern fighting games and combined them with the Mortal Kombat style.

If you think anything good came from DA other than Kenshi, Bo' Rai Cho, and Cooking with Scorpion, you may be too far gone.

Thats objective, I suppose.

I for one will miss the cyborgs. (Triborg was non-canon.)

Any good comics of them or any other piece of media that isn't the games?

games are pretty good, my favorite would probably be UMK3 or Deception.
honestly curious to see where they go next with the series.

Hes the only one I miss

Does death mean anything in MK anymore? Four of the recurring characters in X are canon dead, and they brought them back with revenant magic and alternate universe bullshit. Fucking Kobra could come from the dead with a revolver bullet between his eyes and it wouldn't mean a damn thing.

There was a cartoon that followed the movie continuity that was pretty cool.

Most of the comics were done in-house at Midway and were written/drawn by the game's designer, John Tobias. They are typical 90's tie-in comics, I guess. Not too good, not too bad.

The DC comics are good.

The cartoon is so-bad-its-good, and has some awesome VAs.

The first movie is one of the few legitimately good vidya movies in history.

Death never meant anything in MK. Liu Kang died and they brought him back the next game. (As a zombie but still.) Then literally every character died and they rebooted the whole timeline.

Vogel needs to stop writing MK story modes.

triborg is canon.
He's the fighting styles of all lin kuei ninjas recorded onto aocmputer.
then special forces found it,made triborg, who gained sentience with all their powers, killed them all, and ran rampant.
He's not sektor or smoke or cyber sub or cyrax. He's a new guy who just has all their mvoesets.

There is some weight to it now that Scorpion killed Quan Chi. He killed him before they had a chance to revive Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Stryker, Kabal, and the others that are still zombies.

If it wasn't in Story Mode its not canon. Just a "what-if". They COULD canonize some of it later, but for now nothing in Arcade counts.

I love it, played the shit out of almost all the games.

I'm eyeing the comics, are they good? At least by game comic standards

mortal kombat is eternal

The MKX comics from DC are good, yes.

no see, all the dlc characters barring guest characters in mkx ARE canon. their storymodes may or may not be, but the characters themselves exist.
I forgot where I read it, so it might be bullshit.

the mkx comics are great, yes. most of it is canon. mkx contradicts a few small things ehre and there, but that's it.

Hm...that raises some questions with Goro.

But, as usual with MK, we probably won't know for sure until MK11.

I'm not convinced that they won't come up with some contrivance to bring them back for future games. It's not like Liu Kang and Kitana are too mad about being stuck in the Netherrealm either way, and Kung Lao's story implied that any revenants seeking redemption can work for it.

Best ninja coming through.

Man, the first three MK games are like a perfect trilogy. It's like Terminator to Terminator 2, they tweak the story in just the right ways where it's like 'holy shit' but it always has the same classic feel.

Start out with a normal tournament, typical fighting game fare, then in the second one establish a multiverse, get a big bad in there, and finally throw in a third game featuring a dimensional invasion.

is the MKX comic still ongoing?

i havent read ll the mkx comic. so is goro dead or are his arms just off?
Because either or, boon can find a way to bullshit him back to life?

PREPARE YOURSELF!

Kotal ripped his arms off. The Shokan race is severely dwindled, with Goro and Sheeva really the only important ones left. So either they ignored the comic or his Arcade mode story is decidedly non-canon.

My nigga
My only complaint is how over the years Reptile has become more of an actual...reptile
Wish he would of just stayed a green ninja

half the arcade mode endings are non-canon, half aren't.
We won't know which ones are which until the next game.
That being said, Goro's probably arround, with arms due to boon fuckery, sometime in the 25 year span of mkx.

I do too, but at least they gave a cool explanation for it in the story. The longer he's separated from his people, the more he physically 'de-evolves'.

It's a'ight. Fun and one of the rare good Western fighters. It didn't really become a good series until MK9 though.

I think you meant to say Ermac

Death has never meant anything. Johnny Cage once came back from the dead by waiting for scorpion to do it and following him out.

anyone else wish that dc would make mortalkombat one opf their mystery worlds in the multiverse?
complete with an ongoing or two?
Crossovers with the mainstream dc universe would be baller and have happened before at least once. twice counting scorpion in injustice.

Konfession Time:

I never really beat Shaolin Monks. The most close I came is to the final fight, even with Ko-Op, I couldn't beat it. Shit was too damn difficult. Good game tho

He was always a reptile man. These days he just doesnt wear his human disguise. I do think a costume where he wears a ripped up human disguise would be fucking rad though.

Scorpion in Injustice made it clear how much face your average MK character would rape if dropped into any other fighting game. The teleport shit is intense, man.

Rip in peace based Stryker.

Reptile has died the least out of all the characters. Prove me wrong.

Yes

>reptile is my main since I was a kid
>play MK9
>he just get his ass kicked all the time in history mode

Seeing he and Baraka as jobbers was really painful.

Well, that may be due to the fact he's boon's waifu

gone but not forgotten ;_;

in the original timeline he got cut in half. he could totally come back

Ok yeah that at least makes sense.

Yeah but that's probably what made it appealing for a capeverse crossover. It's got elements of cape comics in it.

That being said, I'd like to see a Mortal Kombat cartoon.

He is already dead though. Killing him just sends him back to hell for a while.

In the current timeline he got sucked into a soulnado.
There's no tellign what happened to him.

Jobbers are the most difficult characters to kill in MK.

>I'd like to see a Mortal Kombat cartoon.
no you don't
youtu.be/1uZwA4Qu4bI

The last time a wraith got sucked into a soulnado he just got to go talk to the gods.

I both love and hate that "Soulnado" is the official name for that thing and not just the fan-term everyone uses.

That's because those are basically enhanced remakes of MK's 1-3, when Reptile was more of a henchman than a...well, fuck it he's still a henchman but back then he was a generic henchman with very little plot holding him up.

I still loved him though.

It's still weird to me that they made Nightwolf of all people their tech guy.

Not exactly. He was absorbed by the soulnado that was used to revive Syndel.

Which means he's the deadest someone could possibly be.

Which is a big fucking shame because having him show up and getting revenge on Scorpion would be fucking amazing. Also just a reunion of him and Kuai Liang.

welcome to mortal kombat.

you really, really don't
youtu.be/fF9lWOAvPt0

He's a mounted zombie gunman now, though. He went from an overpowered zero to fan favorite in one game, and that's more than he almost deserved. He's had a good run.

I still wish he had a true retro costume in 9, though.

he had a reunion with kuei lang. made it clear he didnt love his lil bro no more.

He is too popular to really kill off.

I meant him visiting him in the sense of the war between the Brotherhood of Shadows and the Lin Kuei

You suck
Its been years but I remember loving the shit out of that game

Dude. He was absorbed by someone who is now a jobber that isn't even in the roster.

>tfw you unlock scorpion and subzero as playable characters

>those MK Malibu comics
There was some great QUALITY there. But I do miss when games would have shitty tie in comics. I don't feel like they do that as much anymore

If it weren't for the three.way fight with little-to-no recovery and the 30% hit of Shao Kahn I would've beated it

Sindel will get killed again and his soul will pop out the next time they want him as a playable character.

Or this

Y'know, it would've been easy for them to handle the whole Sonya/Johnny/Cassie thing by having Johnny be the sitcom deadbeat dad with the estranged daughter and Johnny and Sonya's whole divorce could've been treated like a joke where he's too egotistical and pigheaded to see that he's the one who ruined the marriage. I was actually really impressed that SONYA was the one who ruined the relationship, Cassie and Johnny have probably the strongest father/daughter bond I've seen in a video game in years, and Johnny's struggling between trying to get back together with Sonya and respecting her choices that led to the divorce in the first place.

I dunno, I always liked Stryker. He was basically MK's Doomguy- a competent everyman who found himself neck-deep in monster shit and decided the only way out was to RIP AND TEAR. Or I suppose bomb and bludgeon in his case.

I hope you're right but I don't think so.

When I heard a cyborg would be DLC for MKX I thought that was Noob's ticket, as it'd be something like Noob-Smoke.

But nope. Nope. No love for Bi-Han

Gameplay wise, is MKvsDC better than Injustice? I've been wanting to play as Superman and Cpt Marvel in a fighting game.

>tfw you beat the game in ko-op with Sub Zero and Scorpion

Shao Khan is almost fucking unbeatable like that too.

Never forget that Scorpion's ending in Injustice his him killing superman and then killing Trigon.

tfw Milleena will never give you a Blowjob.

Because shes dead

why even

He died in his ending for mk4 and he later became a sacrifice for Onaga.

His mk4 ending was non canon and onaga took possessed his body rather than kill him.

And that's why MK is the best.

>they finally gave her some DSL and a justification for pronouncing shit
>she's dead before she can use them for anything but sapphic execution

MKvsDC plays like ass.

I still haven't played MKX, and probably never will since they're never doing a full release on PC, but what was the justification for it? I don't think they covered it in the MKX comic

No not at all
Its a pretty crappy game desu

My favorite 2D fightan series.

Really wanted a continuation on the comics story and making the story characters playable sort of like how Street Fighter IV brought extra characters in.

MK vs. DC is an unfinished piece of shit that wasn't even fun to play. Story mode sucked ass, too.

Injustice is amazing in comparison. It's pretty visually dated now, but the DLC bundled version is on every console known to man for dirt cheap. It also has a wealth of single-player content, from a fuck ton of gimmicky arcade ladders to challenge mode with an ass-ton of minigames.

MK vs. DC only has the MK crossover appeal over it, and even Injustice has Scorpion as DLC/GOTY content.

if you mean why they killed her off she was the Last piece of Shao Khans Regime and Kotal just wanted her dead because gotta kill the Rebels trope. also her death scene is pretty damn hot

youtube.com/watch?v=nGbB8cC54Nc

No one comments on her growing lips in the game.

I meant the mouth

Well she is a magical mutant. Not that odd if she mutates.

It was never fully explained, but it makes complete sense.

1. Mileena is obsessed with beauty, wanting to surpass her sister/clone Kitana in all regards, but men find her hideous because of her Takartan mouth.
2. Mileena becomes khanate, thus commanding Shao Kahn's court of sorcerers and fleshshapers.
3. Mileena suddenly begins to look more human and less monstrous, starting with the mouth.

I mean, you can decide for yourself if it adds up, but it seems pretty clear cut to me.

Just seems odd considering she didn't grow a mouth while she was pretending to be Kitana in the original timeline during Deception

Still be funny for Cage to bring it up.

I miss him.

Sure he was simple but his fatalities also hilariously brutal in MK9.