Anyone else hyped about this?

I love Watchmen, and I get why this may upset some people, but the concept alone is enough to get me really excited for the DC universe going forward.

I feel like there are a lot of villains in DC that exist that aren't part of a creator owned miniseries and you're just using them to get hype happening. which makes me just lose hope in ya

>Idea from Hypocrite Johns
>Execution by the bunch of hacks currently working at DC Comics
>Being hyped

Why would Dr. Manhattan want to screw with the DC universe?
He left Earth because of his effect on people.
He went to go create new life, not decide "You know what? The problem was that I wasn't fucking enough with people."

Maybe because he found the multiverse and came to the enlightenment that life is meaningless

Yes, OP, you are the only one excited about this. You are the only person on the internet who cares about Watchmen.

C-Can I lick your balls, sir?

Wait, so they're attempting to connect Watchmen to the canon of other DC comics?

Doesn't that kind of undermine the idea behind the original work, regarding its portrayal of masked heroes? Watchmen's strength was as a standalone work with a solid beginning and end.

The way I see it, why should anyone be upset? The characters have a lot of potential, and it's lot like using them now somehow ruins their original story. I will never understand how some people think that.

Yup.

Mainstream capeshit (aka Big Two) is, and always will be desperate trash.

Nah

If Johnny Storm's T-Bolt kicks the shit out of Osterman? I will ejaculate so hard it will land in Alan Moore's beard

>Doesn't that kind of undermine the idea behind the original work, regarding its portrayal of masked heroes

Not really seeing as how it's a different universe

It's not. It's the Watchmen canon being connected to the pre-52 universe while also working in New 52 through Manhattan's godmodding.

It's not so much that they're trying to make "Watchmen" DC Universe canon as much as it is that they're trying to make "Watchmen" DC Multiverse canon.

The implication is that Dr. Manhattan left the universe of "Watchmen" to go create a new universe, and in doing so he fucked with the DC Multiverse, specifically Earth-0, which resulted in the post-Flashpoint "New 52" universe.

Or something along those lines.

The story of the Watchmen works as a great standalone and as a deconstruction of superhero comics.

The characters and properties, however, can work outside of that one story. It's not like anything is ruined by this either. It's like how we saw Constantine enter the DCU after New 52 launched, but Hellblazer was still running normally The two can exist separately just fine.

This shit with the Watchmen bring in rebirth may end up garbage, but it's not really fair to dismiss it all out of hand.

Except that's not what's happening

>hyped
No, never.

That's just speculation. And even then, we will always have the original Watchmen books.

>Alan Moore, wielder of Rasputin and Santa's powers will destroy DC

That doomsday clock is at 23:46 or 23:47.

That's pretty far from doomsday, considering
we're currently sitting at 23:57 in modern day
and the farthest the clock has been set back
is to 23:43

Given the history of such things from the Big Two, I think it's COMPLETELY fair to be dismissive. Granted, the outside possibility does exist that the writers won't completely fuck it up, but I can't even remember the last time I saw a big dumb stunt like this NOT suck.

Manchildren just buttmad that their dark and edgy "deconstruction" is being treated as what it is, just another dumb comic about superheroes.

>dark and edgy
But Watchmen isn't either of those when compared to a lot of regular capeshit.

It's not the same as Constantine and Swamp-Thing, since they started out in the DCU and had interacted with DC characters before. This is more like making Transmetropolitan a part of the DCU and having Spider Jerusalem meet the LoSH or some bullshit like that.

>Watchmen isn't dark or edgy

I know the internet has bastardized these words, but really?

>but really?
As far as I'm concerned, it really isn't. The pirate story within Watchmen was dark and edgy. Or at least edgy. I refuse to call anything dark unless it actually has some maturity to it.

It's not. Dark maybe, but there's a much more dignified treatment of it as opposed to a lot of regular capeshit.

Then again, this is Sup Forums so a response like this and was not unexpected.

I think the clock is shown at 23:52.

Please tell me what you guys think edgy means. Because saying The Watchmen isn't edgy, and I mean the literal use of the word, is just weird to me.

DC Rebirth: We've Completely Run Out Of Ideas And Have to Desperately Turn Back to Alan Moor'e Decades-Old Stories

Again

Well, for one, outside of the edges of the page it's not really any more sharp or jagged than any other tpb you'd find, nor does it seem nervous or irritable. I hope this has been helpful.

>This is more like making Transmetropolitan a part of the DCU and having Spider Jerusalem meet the LoSH or some bullshit like that.

Please do not give DC any more fucking brilliant ideas.

I guarantee you in a few years when we get DC: NuRebirth, Spider Jerusalem will be working at the Daily Planet or some shit.

>at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde

I don't think you actually want to talk about comics and want to pretend that book being thought of as edgy (because of your warped view on the word) is a terrible thing

I didn't know he used twitter

He doesn't. That's not him. He doesn't have any official social media presence except a Facebook page for one of his projects, but it's not a personal page he comments on, it's just promotional.

Moore is the last person in the world who'd use Twitter.

Oh, I see now. The clock was at 23:52, then ticks back in each successive panel.

>52
Oh shit.

>I love Watchmen
The point of that book was that the main cast were a bunch of deranged fuck-ups and the whole superhero concept was a stupid idea that none of them should have tried.

I take immense delight in Moore's unhappiness.

Well you're pretty much wrong on all accounts buddy.

DC's attitude when they perceive they are in a bind always bugs me.

They always have a massive persecution complex and blame their problems on something else and build strongly this victim complex into the fans.

Rebirth read very very crass to me and I don't want any part of that DC.

That defeats the entire purpose of his character arc

That's pretty dumb of you, unless you only like watchmen for its most meaningless and superficial aspects, in which case you're just dumb.
This isn't going to be doc manhattan from watchmen, it's going to be Geoff Johns' Big Scary Bad Guy, this time playing the role of "doc manhattan"

He's going to wreck the heroes for five issues, then in issue six hal jordan is like "but what if we... HIT HIM REALLY HARD" and everyone will hit him really hard and then he'l "die".

It's not actually him fuck off

Didn't Johns say that's exactly what they're not going to do?

>those dumbasses that thought it was real
Good job, mate

POST YOUR FACE AS YOU ENJOY REBIRTH BATHING IN MARVELKEK AND WATCHMENFAG TEARS

IT'S A GREAT TIME!

>POST YFW REBIRTH SPECIAL BEAT STEVE ROGERS; CAPTAIN HYDRA #1 AT CMX
ftfy

Do you think Johns know that shit??

The idiot thinks ROMANS were a thing 3000 BC. The guy is one of the most ignorant people working in the media, a complete jackass.

The point wasn't that superheroes are stupid, it's that if superheroes were real, you'd have to have some real problems to want to be one and if you don't you'd develop them from the mental stress/trauma of going out every night to beat up bad guys. It's not condemning them, it's taking them to their logical conclusion.

Despite what you and your kind think, Moore never hated superheroes, otherwise he would have never wrote about them to begin with.

>the main cast were a bunch of deranged fuck-ups

How? None of them were deranged except for Rorschach, and he isn't even deranged so much as severely traumatized. Manhattan MD was just apathetic and detached from humanity to the point of laziness. Veidt was pretty fucking normal enough to be that world's equivalent of Lex/Bruce Wayne in terms of personal success. The Comedian was a shithead rapist, so I'll give that one to you. Laurie was pretty normal, too, just miserable about how lonely her life had become, same with Dan.

>Veidt was pretty fucking normal enough to be that world's equivalent of Lex/Bruce Wayne in terms of personal success
All the death he caused should have given you a hint that he wasn't sane.

To be fair, he said BATMAN wouldn't.

>"but what if we... HIT HIM REALLY HARD" and everyone will hit him really hard and then he'l "die".
Man, Hal Jordan must've had an anime boxing coach.
>PUNCH HARDER, KID!

>Moore is the last person in the world who'd use Twitter.

I don't know. He IS a pretty big twit.

Quit pretending you didn't already know. Fucking false fags

I just can't imagine the conflict being settled by punching this time around.

But maybe I'm just being optimistic.

Of course it isn't.

Kindly keep your "favors" to yourself

Must be meant for

Have there been demons in the DCU that made Constantine and people from New 52 join up?

Will we be seeing Roschach and Batman interaction?

When was the last time a DC event was solved by punching it really hard?

Why do I get the feeling that V For Vendetta is right around the corner?

Because why the fuck not? There's no integrity in comics anymore

You do know V already had a comic tie in with another universe right? Oh right of course not you don't read comics and just saw the movie.

See:

DC fans genuinely blame all the ills and fuckups of the DC writing staff on Watchmen. It's laughable man. Like it's Moore's fault that comic book writers are hack frauds that shamelessly and badly emulated his work.

Nothing good ever comes out of being a DCfag my nigga. Nothing good EVER!

>people excited about DC raping Watchmen
>again
>Big Two company wars
This thread is disgusting.

>Unless you read every fucking comic ever you're a casual

Get fucked you cunt

DCAU is still the best cape media ever made

I usually only think people are casuals when they act like a smug know-it-all even though they really don't know what they're talking about.

I'm still unsure if Superboy Prime being a whiny destructive manchild about the then current state of the DCU and all its unnecessary violence was supposed to be Johns taking shots at fanboys, because in the end he still beat Golden Age Superman to death. The symbolism of that has always seemed really fucked to me. Maybe editorial made the decision and he just had to roll with their command, but still.

>every fucking comic
How about just the comics you're posting about?

>Watchmen was overrated!
>Why aren't people over watchmen!?
>Watchmen doesn't matter anymore!
>I'm so over Watchmen I'm going to write a comic about how over Watchmen I am!

Said no one ever

We could all learn a lesson from Comedian.

>DC fans genuinely blame all the ills and fuckups of the DC writing staff on Watchmen

And now we have an event that literally blames all the ills and fuckups of the New 52 universe on Watchmen.

so he creates dc universe?

Yeah, this is the thing that bothers me. Doctor Manhattan's whole thing is being detached from humanity. Why the fuck would he care about whether Superman is married to Lois Lane or whether Green Arrow and Green Lantern ever went on a roadtrip or how many Robins Batman's had enough to fuck with time and change that shit? They'll have to pull some really contrived shit to force Manhattan into the role of antagonist in another DC Crisis story.

I liked pre-Nu52 better than Nu52 and I miss a lot of the elements that were removed, but first and foremost, I like good comics. As glad as I am to see Wally West back, Rebirth just wasn't a very good comic. It was pretty much just another rehash of every DC event comic ever.

>watchmen
>creator owned

uhhhhhh

No, he just removed specific parts of history as far as we know.

Like King Crimson?

Doc wanted to make his own universe. He needs peices. He takes bits and pieces from the DC universe. The DC universe fixes itself as best it can ("I need a Wally West... This one will do," etc.)

It's like if you wanted to build a castle out of Legos, so you take some from another castle.

Remember, Johns has unequivocally stated that Doc is not a villain.

I like this theory.

The entire point is that they ARE undermining Watchmen. They are declaring that statement Watchmen made about superheroes is wrong, and pointing out that as much as it complains and tries to differentiate itself, Watchmen is still a superhero story.

It's not some grand take-down of those fucking capes like people want to pretend it is, not is it a sacred cow that deserves to be held above the rest of the industry. It's just another story.

>b...but muh stand-alone
this is the most meaningless argument I've ever heard.

>Why the fuck would he care about whether Superman is married to Lois Lane or whether Green Arrow and Green Lantern ever went on a roadtrip or how many Robins Batman's had enough to fuck with time and change that shit?
he had a weird moment of 'enlightenment' when he found out Laurie wasn't convieved when Comedian raped her mother but during consensual sex that happened later

I assume it's related to that

lol

"That story that was published 30 years ago is to blame for all the shitty decisions we made 5 years ago!"

If anything, the metaphorical villain of the series should be movie execs or something. It seems obvious to me that Nu52 was meant to make the DCU a testing ground for films. It was WB that told Didio to do something big quick or get the boot. Characters suddenly get costumes that look like movie concept art with seams that a live-action costume made of real material might hypothetically have, rather than abstracted color blocks. Captain Marvel changes his name to Shazam, probably because WB had a movie in development and were worried about a superhero having a name they can't trademark. JL: Origins looks like some treatment for a JL movie.

Remember how Wonder Woman's DCnU costume was originally supposed to have pants, but they were changed back to shorts before the comics were released? That's because Andrea Palacki would had been wearing a Wonder Woman costume with pants on the television show, and WB wanted the comics to match that. It was only when the pilot wasn't picked up that DC was allowed to change it back. And now the movie has her in pteruges, the comics do, too.

I'm not complaining about the costume itself, it still looks fine to me and personally I don't really care. It's just the fact that it has to be dictated by adaptations that is worrying.

Are we really going to sit here and pretend that Watchmen being the progenitor of dark and edgy comics hasn't been common knowledge for decades now?

Is this the hill Watchmenbabbies want to die on?

marvel baby found

>The characters and properties, however, can work outside of that one story.

Not really. What made those characters interesting was how they behaved in the context of that particular story. You don't really get anything by removing them from it.

According to two user's Watchmen isn't dark or edgy because those would be bad things

How to spot a casual

>Watchmen is the best comic ever written!!!!

>thinking Moore's Charleston ripoffs are special snowflakes
lol

You typed all that out just to say you're a mouseketeer. What a waste.

That's precisely the opposite of what I said.

Why would any watchmen fan be gyped for this? There's nothing to be gained from connecting watchmen to the greater multiverse.