Mignola ends Hellboy

Are you guys ready for the END?

>What made you decide to call it a day?

>Hellboy in Hell, as originally conceived, was radically different than what I ended up doing. My thing of getting him off the world into hell was just so I could do these stories where he rambles around. But even by the end of issue five, I started realizing: “There’s this one big story we’re telling.” I tried to do standalone stories, but I’d had him kill off Satan, which I somehow thought wasn’t going to be a big deal, but the weight of that thing took over the book. So originally it was going to go on forever, and then it was going to be four books, and then I replotted it so it was three … And I guess by the end of issue eight, which is out, he’s sitting under a tree and it just suddenly felt like, “Oh. This is the end of the series.” There’s one big thing he has left to do, or maybe two.

theguardian.com/books/2016/may/30/mike-mignola-final-hellboy-comic-paint-watercolors?CMP=share_btn_tw

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookresources.com/article/does-hellboy-in-hell-finale-signal-the-end-of-mike-mignolas-time-with-the-character
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did he reclaim his crown yet?

It's waiting for him in hell, if I recall

IS BPRD ending along with it?

pandemonium is gone
only his ring remains but his wife took that

hell on earth ends early 2017
abe sapien ends in august I think
but there's stuff planned after

>I tried to do standalone stories, but I’d had him kill off Satan, which I somehow thought wasn’t going to be a big deal, but the weight of that thing took over the book.

didn't it sunk into the sea of fire?

All good things must come to and end eventually.
It's almost sober how even hell is in shambles. The song from neon genesis evangelion is playing in my head and I can't help but chuckle
JustKeepsTumblingDown.mp3

Wife? I must be outta the loop ... care to clue me in?

It was a good idea in theory - take hellboy out of the world mignola created. Throw him in a new one with new characters and no sense of urgency and you have a fresh start/blank slate/ jumping off point to go from.

Shame it didn't work.

Hellboy in Mexico, Hellboy Gets Married, then Hellboy in Hell 9

Mucho gracias senior

>no preview because spoilers

Can't wait for tomorrow.
Also wonder if Bromhead's gonna appear.

Is the mignolaverse continuing at least? This I must know

>Wife? I must be outta the loop ... care to clue me in?

he got married during his drunken month in Mexico to a vampire

Witchfinder, BPRD, Hellboy and the BPRD, and Lobster Johnson will continue

If I'm reading this right then this seems kinda abrupt.

they'll probably do a solo of howards in the past too

The crown,Hell's throne and he sword of Azzael (HB's dad) sunk into the sea of fire with all the rest of Pandemonium in Hellboy in Hell 9.

It's the end of an era. No matter the amount of tie-ins and spin-offs, the end of Hellboy regular series is basically the end of Mignolaverse. I'm not ready.

No one is...
It's like hearing Sakai's wife died all over again. You feel for the man but you know he's gonna wrap it up and leave.

Mignola seems similar in this. Like something is driving him to finish hellboy and leave it there. I only hope for one hell of a send off. A magnum opus if you will.

he just wants to end it and paint for a few years

Obviously it had to end some day,with a glorious grand finale otherwise it would probably turn into a ridiculous another Silver Age cape comic just like most of current Marvel and DC, but man, it's hard to asume.

At least is practically sure Mignola will come back to comics in the future. Don't think he'll lay down the pen forever.

how long until release? i don't know whether to stay through the night or what

Tomorrow

>the end of Mignolaverse. I'm not ready.
Not just that, John Arcudi is leaving too.

>John Arcudi is leaving BPRD

ftfy, he's still writing Lobster Johnson

comicbookresources.com/article/does-hellboy-in-hell-finale-signal-the-end-of-mike-mignolas-time-with-the-character

Mike says he's plotted other stories but doesn't know if he'll draw them

he really should just ask fegredo again

It honestly truly was news that ruined my day. And it's extra difficult because Mike has given me so much joy for so many years that I can't be mad at him for wanting to grow as an artist. I just kind of wish that the thought never occurred to him you know?

It's the end of an Era and I may honestly get a bit teary eyed tomorrow when I buy my copy. God do I wish Mike all the luck and happiness in the world though.

I started reading Seeds of Destruction and I'm loving it. I'll definitely continue to collect more.

I don't know why people are saying it's the end, he's straight up saying it's the end for NOW. He might get back to it, he might not but he's not saying he's never going to do anymore again.

Post like this are silly, it's like you people can't read. He could be back in 3 years for all you know. The Hellboy thread tomorrow is gonna be awful because people are going honestly think it's the very end.

Sure it's a bit doom saying but I don't think it's an uncalled for reaction. Hellboy is a huge comic to a lot of people, let people feel their feelings my man

I've been out of the loop for a while. Is it actually ending in just one more issue?

no.
1) Mignola wants to take a break.
2) Mignola realized that by killing Satan, he drove himself into a corner plotwise.

Hopefully, he could use this break to untangle the mess he made so as to give us more stories of Hellboy wandering hell before he makes his comeback to the realm of the living

>killing Satan
I was expecting a giant kick ass fight and instead we got a sneaky murder.

I don't if I should be disappointed or impressed.

>I was expecting a giant kick ass fight and instead we got a sneaky murder.
didn't we all?

But yeah, most antagonists in Hellboy have died in surprisingly anticlimactic ways if you really think about it

That's part of the charm for me, every enemy is just another job for hellboy

I don't know about job.
Satan was definitely killed in a way that had a lot of weight attached to it. Something shakespearian you might say.

I still regret not getting an awesome duel, but this was justified so I'm okay.

did they ever digitally release the recent FCBD story
heard it's got art by corben and I'd like to read it

yeah, but I mean, come on, Hellboy went to hell ffs
We could've seen Mike's version of Hell, probably something finally different from Dante's version of it, but all we got was:
>Pandemonium capital of Hell!
>It's empty, everyone ran away hue hue hue
>But wait there's Satan! THE fallen angel, ruler of Hell, and all around head honcho!
>Sneaky shank stabby-stabby murder most foul!
>"Villain!" cried he as he fell dead in his throne
>LOL he ded
>Ok, so, wat do?

True true.

I still hope for some short adventures like his BPRD years, except about him walking around Hell. Either as a wandering guy like right now, or as the new king having wacky adventures around hell to reunify it or some shit.

I was really looking forward to all of the Asian hells.

>his BPRD years
>righting wrongs, settling debts or just acquiring insight by interacting with the denizens of hell
>Mustering the forces of hell to steam roll the Odgru Hem and the Black Flame in preparation for his battle with the Odgru Jahad
>The creature will be the sole surviving being to tell the descendants of mankind of Anung Un Rama, the creature born to destroy this world, that shed off the yoke of fate, so that mankind would survive into the new world

It is, but it's no surprise either. He's talked before about this being the end, and devoting himself to painting again.

Look user,is not that people think it's THE END, but because we think is the end of the Hellboy reguar series. After that is all BPRD to the End of the World (because Abe Sapien is also finishing in a pair of issues, and then reconnects to BPRD,apparently) and "Hellboy and the BPRD" + Lobster Johnson + Witchfinder.

Yes,the Mignolaverse will still go on for some years, but we know for sure Hellboy's journey is practically over; the only thing than can happen to him from this point on is he gets out of Hell, riding a motherfucking dragon and leading the army of Hell, crashing with the Ogdru Jahad along the BPRD and the remaining Russian guys, thus finishing the world.

>Hellboy murders Satan instigated by his bride in a full Macbeth style
>Anticlimatic

Dude, this kind of things are all along the series. If you expected a gigantic boss battle between Hellboy and Satan, I think you're on the wrong ride.

The empty hell is cool as shit dude

Does Hellboy have hooved feet?

He's got this sort of clooven hooves instead of toes, but he has "feet".