Having a hard time learning a 4th language

>having a hard time learning a 4th language
I speak Romanian, English and French. I'm trying to learn Catalan but for some reason it seems confusing as shit, despite being a Romance language.
Are there any retardspeaks like English that I can learn without much effort?

Danish
:^)

Finnish

Thanks, but I'm too dumb for those.
>inb4 Basque

I was about to say that :DDD i studied that language for 2 years and couldn't speak it at all when in Basque.

Indonesian?

only the superior catalan race can speak catalan

imagine being romanian
lol

No I'm being serious. Stop bullying me user

Romani, then

Did you learn French by yourself ?

Indonesian is arguably the easiest language, though.

I studied it in school and now I'm polishing it by myself. I'm nowhere near mastery but I can speak it decently.
I feel like I'm hopeless without a teacher.

Spanish probably, also useful

I'd learn German, Russian or Arabic if I were good with learning languages like you

Tfw forced to learn four languages as a kid (English+mother tongue+language of the region where I live+Hindi) and all those languages have different writing systems.

can you read Sanskrit?

catalan? is that seriously a language that exists? Never heard of it and honestly wouldn't it be completely useless to speak it?

lol no, even muslimes speak it because of muh catalan cucks want refugees and gib money

I can't understand it but the script is the same as Hindi so I would be able to read it aloud without knowing the meaning.

Most languages are completely useless if you don't leave your home country. It's cool but I'm too dumb for it.

It looks totally mysterious and cool

Dude, it is the sole official language of Andorra. Sure, it is outweighed by Spanish in Catalonia, Valencia and the Balearic Islands, but that doesn't mean it's not very much alive in those places.

Come over to /fr/ to practice it, you'll also learn tons of colloquialisms

Puis-je visiter /fr/?

>tfw both my parents are Polish
>tfw can understand and read the language perfectly
>tfw becase of lack of practice I sound like a mentally retarded faggot speaking it

Yeah but I'll feel like a languagelet whose brain caps at 3 languages. Should I just accept it?

>English+mother tongue+language of the region where I live+Hindi) and all those languages have different writing systems.
mother tongue bengali, local tongue kannada?

Oui, bien sur
Of course you aren't going to be a master at it over night, but it will help you with French a lot.

Well the point of this thread is that I'm ok with my French and I want to learn something else. Should I just forget a 4th language and improve my French instead?

I think you should, but do what you want to my dude :)

O-ok I guess. I'll make sure to pay you guys a visit.
You won't bully me right?

I wont, but i cant talk for others, they can be rather aggressive

Well everyone hates romanians here :c

neat fact, Lithuanian and Sanskrit share a bunch of words and stuff. You might understand a little of Lithuanian if you knew Sanskrit well.

I don't know it at all. The languages I know are Bengali, Kannada, Hindi and English. The only places I've seen Sanskrit-sounding words outside India are like Malaysia and Indonesia, although the languages are unrelated.

How similar are the languages you know? Like are they more like dialects of the same one or are different like English-Lithuanian-Russian and learning one does not mean that learning the other will be easier?

Kannada is non-Indo European hence drastically different from Hindi and Bengali. The difference between Hindi and Kannada should be like the difference between English and Arabic. However there are many loan words from Sanskrit in Kannada so many of the technical/formal words are common with Hindi. Bengali and Hindi are similar but I guess as different as Dutch and English, maybe further apart. The only official languages that are kind of like dialects of Hindi are Punjabi, Gujarati and Nepali. Also all the three languages I had to learn have different writing systems. It's so much easier when all the west European languages use the Latin script or when all the Pakistani languages use the Arabic script, but Bengali, Kannada and Hindi all have different scripts. Those plus English, so I had to learn four different scripts. :(

Deva‐divine

Fuck you. Stop bragging.
t. monolingual american, although i can understand a bit of spanish

I'm not bragging. You're probably monolingual because you haven't been exposed to other languages. I'm just fucking dumb.

I wouldn't abandon Catalan so easily, if that's what you want to learn. For your question, maybe you should try Castillian, because of sheer number of resources online.

Catalan seems too fucking weird and counterintuitive for me for some reason. I don't know what to do.

Where would you get exposed to French from? They teach it in school?

learn japanese

In Romania, they do. I can't speak for Americans though.

>it seems confusing as shit, despite being a Romance language
Honestly romance languages are hard to speak at a high level if you're a native romance speaker, unless your native language is pretty different from your native language.

Learning Spanish as an Italian for example might be easy at the beginning, but it gets really confusing the more you go forward, because Italian often just sound Spanish enough to be right (and that is often the case, but not always)

byłes kiedys w polszy ?

French doesn't seem confusing, though. My aunt speaks Italian and one of my friends speaks Spanish so it's not always the case.

you will eventually make sense of it
I encourage you to do comparative study.
To learn vocabulary, for example, you might struggle with strange words that appear on no other romance languages. They usually have cognates in Germanic languages, including English.
You will eventually realize in what contexts they usually appear, and you will be able to know their meaning just by thinking in English (or German, Scandi languages, whatever you know...)

The grammar can get complicated, but I'm sure you will get it eventually. It is more mechanical than it looks.

The worst thing in the language, for me, are things like accentuation rules. Since the written language was "redesigned" (or at least modernized), it can be a little bit sketchy, with many exceptions and so.

>is more mechanical than it looks.
Is it though? Tenses are confusing the hell out of me. Everything else is alright I guess.

>Are there any retardspeaks like English that I can learn without much effort?
To English speakers, Frisian is the closest (it's like a sibling language) but it's worthless.

What is confusing about them?
You already speak French, which should probably help you.

The most "strange" thing in them is the periphrastic past. It is not strange to me, of course. But I guess it can be weird to a non-native:
"Jo vaig menjar" = "I ate". (periphrastic)
"Jo menjava" = "I ate" . (imperfect)
The meaning is NOT the same. The periphrastic past expresses something that was done, normally at particular time or moment. The imperfect past expresses that something that "was being done", maybe in a particular time, or not. Sometimes it is somewhat like saying "I (used to) ate".

In this sense, the periphrastic past should be equivalent to the Perfect past "Jo menjí". However, you will not hear this one too much in spoken Catalan.

"I (used to) eat"**

sorry

I don't know. It might just be some serious brain fog but I can't seem to get them down.
"Vaig / vas / va parlar", for example, is a form of past, whereas in French, verbs constructed with aller ("vais parler") are in futur proche, so French isn't all that helpful.

Try to simply memorize them. The irregular verbs will also annoy you anyway, so for the moment don't bother 'understanding' it. Just memorize.

Maybe that will work... :/
I am sure you will soon feel improvements, friend.

You're just showing off