Tell me what you know about this (literally) cool country

Tell me what you know about this (literally) cool country

Other urls found in this thread:

nordic.businessinsider.com/icelandic-is-at-risk-of-becoming-an-extinct-language-2017-4/
pri.org/stories/2015-06-02/will-icelanders-one-day-ditch-icelandic-english
qz.com/420342/icelands-tech-imports-are-killing-the-icelandic-language/
youtube.com/watch?v=7slBWk4iaxI
youtube.com/watch?v=PQNet3oRm4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=S-X97xxw5aI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I used to like Sigur Rós and I still like Bjork and múm.

Nice landscapes, consanguinity

They have a volcano and some cool rock formations.

typical nordic shithole

They enjoy pop songs about anal sex

Land of the gods and air the smells of farts

>biggest desert in europe
>largest glacier in europe
>vikangz
>landscapes
>lots of retarded tourists that should die

I made this thread because I'm really interested in their remoteness from the continent which makes them unique, also i am thinking of learning their language, which preserves the Old Norse

See. This is like the remotest paradise

>it was settled by norweigans and became part of the norweigan crown
>a lot of irish slaves were brought there
>after the dissolution of the danish-norweigan union it became part of denmark
>they had some weird variation of serfdom
>there are sagas about the first settlers who came there
>a lot of the fjords are named after the first people who visited the island
>it was given the name iceland after some explorer saw a fjord full of ice
>their language is the closest to old norse
>it was invaded by britain in ww2 to prevent germans from doing it first and the only person to die in the invasion was a british soldier who killed himself
>they have had "wars" with britain about their territorial waters and they have won all of them

The last one is so true.
Chinese, Americans and Brits are the loudest and most annoying tourists. When I was in Iceland some Chinese whore almost drove off the road.

This makes me feel like visiting there even more

Retardedly difficult to learn desu.

The more challenging a language is, the more i feel like learning it

I heard that their language is doomed. Most authors and entertainers are in English and English is the language most commonly spoken by young people.

they still speak their langauge

First time I was in iceland, I saw a chinese family in rental car get blown off the road by a powerful gust of wind. Hopefully they stay in chinkland next time they consider traveling.

yep, tourists generally don't seem to be able to drive here. And I've seen at least two seperate news stories of the fuckwits walking on the ice in a glaciar lake, which then brakes off
load of shit, leaf

can you read Edda?

yeah, the icelandic language hasn't changed much from the time it Edda written 800 years ago

Sounds so cool. I heard you guys can understand Norwegian to some extent, true?

>2-1

Basically it's the Old Norse language gone unchanged due to isolation for centuries while the the language of Scandinavia broke down into grammatically simpler languages.

Even worse than the cod wars tbqfwyf

I definitely understand words here and there when I hear spoken norwegian, and I can kinda get the context when I read it

they went bankrupt and told their lenders to fuck off
pretty based

they're inbred

>Tell me what you know about this (literally) cool country
They're the decendants of shipwrecked Norwegians, and kidnapped Anglo women, that somehow managed to live of a vulcanic rock in the middle of the Atlantic for about a millennium.
They eat a lot of fish, and wrote the Norse sagas.

A pretty cool place, tbqh.

They will win the World Cup.

>Most authors and entertainers are in English and English is the language most commonly spoken by young people
Did you actually hear this, or are you just making it up?

Anglo? Or Irish?

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's a mix of them both.

fucking delete this immediately

he's making it up to make his shitty cunt relevant in this thread

They have areas where you're not allowed to go because they believe there are trolls and fairies. They also have awesome landscapes and I want to go there once.

DELET

a clump of icy mountains floating in the middle of nowhere. norse colonized it, and used it as a way to get to greenland

They aren't c*cked by tax-leeching monarchs
They have a QT parliament house
Their president is wrong about ananas on pizza

Sounds really interesting. Language is like a creature.

I'm disgressing, but i wish my language belonged to some big language group, then i can learn related languages so easily.
Perhaps i will start learning Icelandic.

btw how should i behave so that i will not look like a retarded tourist when in Iceland?

btw is there anyone who've been to Iceland or learned Icelandic?

It was either on NPR or BBC World News. They were talking about the growing use of English in Iceland and interviewed an author who wrote only in Icelandic, something they framed as an increasing rarity.

nordic.businessinsider.com/icelandic-is-at-risk-of-becoming-an-extinct-language-2017-4/

pri.org/stories/2015-06-02/will-icelanders-one-day-ditch-icelandic-english

qz.com/420342/icelands-tech-imports-are-killing-the-icelandic-language/

Doesn't the entire place smell like farts because of volcanism?

This is just a bunch of sensationalist journalist who want to sell their stories.
The Icelanders barely use any loan words at all, compared to other languages.

>lying on the internet
icelanders are really autistic about their language

the vast majority of icelanders speak icelandic
the ones who don't are cringy teenagers, who are probably too much brainlets to be able to use icelandic properly

I hope that autism never dies

That's probably true, I was just remarking on something I had heard on a talk radio show some time ago. No idea how valid or sensational it was ir was not. I do know that I have mentioned it on Sup Forums before and Icelanders have said that it is disconcertingly common among young people in Reykjavik.

Here everyone speaks English but if you are in a French part of Canada, a group of young people will speak exclusively French and will only use English for tourists. I've been led to believe that it is not at all uncommon for young Icelanders to use English, even if everyone in the group speaks Icelandic.

>the ones who don't are cringy teenagers, who are probably too much brainlets to be able to use icelandic properly
Do some kids really use English instead of Icelandic in day to day use... man that's sad if true..

me too, i hate how we stopped speaking norse

>yep, tourists generally don't seem to be able to drive here.
The Chinese in general can't drive.

I feel like sleeping here

No but the hot water tastes and smells sulfuric

It's shit

Lost a war to us over fish I believe

when you were in school, was there a group of losers that no one else talked to?
cause those are the people that do it
is there much interest in general in the old norse language over there?

Mmm...
The image which I have are like these. :3

Island country
many waterfalls
volcanic country (same as Japan)
Geothermal power generation (Many equipment made in Japanese companies )
Iceland Cloner crashed(temporary)
Very cold
Easy to mistake as Norway's flag

-its a very small island nation
-

one of the best looking flags in the world

Cute Icelandic boys in my country in 2018 :33

Sounds self praise a bit lol

What do I do there?

They produced the most beautifully voiced singer of this generation.

youtube.com/watch?v=7slBWk4iaxI

Also, they systematically exterminated their population with downs syndrome, which is kind of fucked.

Why in the name of fuck would somebody walk on a glacier lake?

Strongmen

never underestimate the stupidity of people

I googled Iceland and found this pic. blonde girl in judo clothing looks noice

We have a Christmas troll woman monster, with an origin from Snorri's Edda but she wasn't directly linked to Christmas until the 17th century. She eats bad children, pretty neat.
youtube.com/watch?v=PQNet3oRm4Q

Will u welcome me if i visit Iceland

youtube.com/watch?v=S-X97xxw5aI

I like their Anti retard program
the are very open to genetic testing and abortion

It uses geothermal energy. They have great genetics even tho they are a little bit inbreed. Have volcanoes. Doesn't have trains. Fights over fish with poms

Yes. Japanese tourists are often nice, you're not loud and you respect our nature since you're probably all as autistic as us.

>even tho they are a little bit inbreed
Source?

How can i hang around with locals?

Literally THE best climate of any country on earth, live in reykjavik and it will always be between 5 and 15 degrees celcius with comfy rain
Beautiful nature
Clean
Cool old norse language
I wouldn't think twice about living there

I haven't found one source so you are right. I are not inbred

Is 5 ~ 15 degrees celcius with rain comfy for Swedes? 3cold5me

don't forget the cat who eats children that don't get new clothes on christmas
sure, will you welcome me if I visit Japan?

Let's eat ramen and go to sentou

It's pretty nice, 20+ is too hot to do anything, can't walk anywhere i get too exhausted but when it goes down to -20 it's annoying because car won't start sometimes and you need to heat everything.
Around 10 degrees celcius is perfect for my every day needs

I honestly want to learn Icelandic. It's a beautiful sounding language.
That being said I bet it's a bit of a bitch to speak considering how different it is from other Nordic languages. I have a grammar on my bookshelf but I never read it.

Killing Spaniards was legal in Iceland until 2015.

>20+ is too hot to do anything

You will die if u get out of Scandinavia

I want to learn icelandic too but i feel it will sound retarded when i speak because of my mother tongue

you'll be retarded because you decided to learn icelandic

Here's what I found although it's a pretty bad graph.
We don't use an app to make sure we aren't related when we have sex, it's twisted information. It was just a university competition here of putting our genealogical database into an app format which is the largest and most accurate in the world, one of the features of the app that won was bumping phones together.
Incest was also punishable by death here when we were catholic and our settlers were like 30% Gaelic evening out our settlement a bit.

If you come to Japan in the Summer,
you might die. :_3

The Summer in Japan become sometimes over 36C...

Yeah 36 degrees is too hot, i would need air condotion on 24/7

You guys killed some of our regional whales while we were starving and then you stole our harðfiskur when you got stranded. I guess we went a bit overboard with torturing and mutilating the whole crew and then making laws that it would be best to kill every Spaniard who came here. But we're all good now right?

Of course, we understand the whole ax crazy amoklauf thing was just banter.

One of our villages was at war with Denmark for two centuries until 1981, that's worse.

It's kind of a meme language, there's no point in learning it if you don't live in Iceland, want to read the sagas in the original tongue, or if you want to larp as a vikang.
And yeah it's probably the hardest germanic language to learn, also very limited study material for foreigners as far as I know
you really have to live in a place were the language is spoken if you want to get good at speaking it, same as with any other language
there are some foreigners who can speak it and sound like natives, but they are few and far in between

can you check my pronunciation if i start it?

How difficult on a scale 1-10 is it to learn icelandic if you already speak a nordic language?

I don't think it should be that hard for you, since the languages are related and all it definitely gives you an advantage