Punisher War Zone

I needed my Punisher fix after DD season 2 so I watched this movie. It is on IFC right now and it is gonna be on again later. It is way better than the reviews say. Same RT score as BVS but it is loads better. This film is dark but it balances that with cheesiness. Villain is awesome and more entertaining than most modern ones. I hope Marvel makes the Punisher show over the top despite this movie's negative critical response. The director of this film Lexi Alexander does DC tv now. Doubt she will be involved with the Netflix show though but that is possible. Would the reviews be better if it was released now? Deadpool is loved by critics and this Punisher film was made for the fans. Haven't seen the Thomas Jane movie yet but I heard Travolta is its problem.

It's fun. Obviously pretty small in scope, a quick action romp, but well directed, a little tongue in cheek, Stevenson is good. Yeah, it'd probably do better now. Way better than Jane's.

It's a great movie until the entire abandoned hotel battle scene at the end. It really tanks at that part, which is unfortunate because they built it up to be so much better.

Nothing is more satisfying than seeing the parkour guys getting dealt with.

>watching movie for the first time with friend
>Parkour guys do their thing
>friend goes into movie already hating it
>Friend thinks "these parkour dudes are gonna be the final bosses before Punisher gets to Jigsaw right"
>Frank kills one of the Parkour guys mid epic jump with a fucking rocket launcher
>HOLY SHIT
>Me and my friend are both laughing so hard we hardly see the rest of the Parkour dudes gat slaughtered.
>Later in the movie Frank then proceeds to kill the faggot coke sniffing son with ONE PUNCH THROUGH HIS SKULL
10/10 best Frank Ever

1. BvS was great
2. OP's movie was good
3. Critics are a joke

I don't understand why critics hate this movie so much, yet love Dredd.
It's the same kind of schlocky violent fun.
And Stevenson > Bernthal.

I used to agree with you OP. I always considered this a hidden gem. Then I watched it on tv a few years ago and realized, it's kinda shit. I like Stevenson as Frank, but the subplot about the dead undercover cop and his wife and ex partner is boring as hell. Julie Benz is legitimately terrible in that role and the movies spends a lot of time with her.

Some definite highlights though. Jigsaw and his brother are classic.

Side note: it's weird to me that Frank just straight up kills an undercover cop at the start of the movie and there's never a twist or reveal that kind of undoes it. Seems like Frank should probably hang it up if he's gotten sloppy enough to kill an undercover

>Julie Benz is legitimately terrible
FTFY

Dredd is violent, but the beats are pretty normal and it's got the arty slo-mo that will appeal to critics.

War Zone is angry, weird, neon-drenched camp that's screaming in your face for 2 hours. It's like someone tried to remake Cobra while on crystal meth, that's not going to appeal to most people.

I love this movie because it isn't baked by a studio. This was Deadpool before Deadpool. This film is not for everyone but the rotten tomatoes reviews make me cringe. The critics killed this movie. But thankfully everyone appreciates it now. The director Lexi Alexander was on Fatman on Batman recently. People are finally appreciating this film.

Also, Wayne Knight as Micro. Best casting since Wayne Knight as Evil Emporer Zurg

>This was Deadpool before Deadpool

Again, Deadpool is goofy and weird but it's still pretty traditional as a superhero movie. At the end of the day it's a (very good) superhero romance story with some metatextual winking as spice.

War Zone is fucking weird, man. From the set design to the performance to the cinematography, it's probably the closest any modern has gotten to actually re-creating an old 80's Cannon Pictures action movie outside of the Purge sequel. It's film that start with Frank literally cutting people's heads off and jamming wooden posts into people's eye-sockets in graphic detail.

>People are finally appreciating this film.

That episode of How Did This Get Made seemed to do a lot of good for it, which I'm glad for. I was one of the nine people who actually saw it in theatres, and while I understood why it flopped I was still pretty sad over no sequels.

>that one guy that does a flip in the air and gets blown by a rocket from Frank in midair

It knows it's not going to win any awards and does a great job of having fun.

>I hope Marvel makes the Punisher show over the top

They won't based on the performance in DD. The Punisher works best when it's just Death Wish or any revenge tale. You don't need to see him have emotional breakdowns or go deep into what makes him tick. Frank is just a guy who snapped. He doesn't need to cry or look angry, what he needs is a thousand yard stare

By Deadpool before Deadpool I mean it is creative and without studio interference. More comic movies need this. Studios now are willing to experiment with new stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy. War Zone is not perfect. It is a niche film. All the reviews on YT say it sucks. It deserves some credit though. The director and Ray Stevenson definitely had fun. More comic movies need to be like this, and the ending is hilarious. I hope the Punisher show has dark humor. Too bad Ray cant be him anymore.

I cried when he died. Glad this film is standalone. I could not stand a sequel without him. I wonder who Netflix will cast as Microchip. The scene at the end of Daredevil season 2 had me so hyped.

I think this movie is widely regarded as underrated. If you like Punisher, it is extremely fun. And yeah, the HDTGM podcast on it with Lexi Alexander is really worth listening to. It made me give this movie a chance.

I liked BVS. It isn't perfect though. Zack made Suckerpunch. That was bad. Has some cool scenes in it though. Zack isn't gonna control the DCEU and I am glad. He should not be a head writer, but if he has awesome ideas they should use them. He should still be involved though I love his visuals.

The reason for that was pretty brilliant. Apparently there was this big trend for parkour dudes in films and the director was sick of it.

So she put them in there just to fucking kill one.

Thats why I watched this movie.

>I needed my Punisher fix after DD season 2 so I watched this movie.
GO
BACK
TO
Sup Forums

It's a terrible movie, but it's enjoyable to watch.

>BvS was great

After having seen the movie for myself, I actually cannot comprehend people thinking it's good. Entertaining, sure, in a so-bad-it's-good way, but everything except a small handful of Batman scenes is so horrendously executed.