Why is hard sci-fi no longer allowed? Why must every show be grounded in reality with no cool alien designs?

Why is hard sci-fi no longer allowed? Why must every show be grounded in reality with no cool alien designs?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bcIlQFPbPnM
youtube.com/watch?v=-c4UJJPEyGA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Capeshit replaced it.

Pretty sure Mike told you why in the '09 reviews, and even then if you have to be told why you're already in fantasyland enough and don't need another dose.

Farscape isn't anywhere close to "hard sci fi" though.

First of all, no brand recognition to sale previously patented merchandise.

Expecting viewers to use their imaginations? Studios, and producers think we're too stupid to do that.

What you're referring to is something fans actually want, so creatively they hate giving sci-fi fans what they want.

Clever story? Writers want money, and special contract recognition for original content.

What you're suggesting sounds fun, and interesting, so that means no immediately. They do not enjoy satisfying audiences, only in making money on dumber audiences that don't care.

Today's target audience are kids with ADD, who cannot use their own imaginations, or sit still enough of more than 2 second of quick edited cuts scene to scene. Dumber audiences that like something that resembles something else with no originality.

Hard scifi is grounded in reality, that's the point. You've misunderstood what it means.

This, but I do like the muppet aliums.

Farscape is good sci-fi, but it's also a fun show, made me laugh often.

It's hard af dude. Space empires, starships, wormholes, alien races, laser guns, bioships, space swords, etc and I could go on.

I don't think you know what hard sci-fi is.

>hard sci-fi

you mean FUN sci-fi

I think user was being facetious.
Its good space opera.

i don't think you know what hard scifi is

Farscape concept artist here. I'd consider the series to be hard-scifi. But the last season's scripts were the result of harcore drugs that the writers were taking (which is why the series was canned). It could also have been much better than it was if it were not for the Henson Group slashing the VFX budget to pay themselves more money.

Good to see someone enjoyed the series. It was considered "groundbreaking" in its day but perhaps not so much now. Either way, it was the best sci-fi to come out of Australia.

That said, in some ways it was derivative of Blake's 7.

STEM fags and Reddit ruined sci-fi

Nigger I love me some farscape. It always made me sad it got shitcanned.

>it was the best sci-fi to come out of Australia.

One of only a handful of Aussie works of note.

uh this is the opposite of hard sci-fi but I think I get your point, weirdly enough seth mcfarlane is the last best hope for this kinda show again, worst timeline

>blakes seven
kinda a little yea I guess sort of, not really

It's literally B7 with muppets

GOTG is the contemporary successor. It's literally Farscape mixed with reddit humor.

>Crichton= Starlord, guy taken from earth, quirky leader who throws out pop culture references aliens don't understand
>Aeryn= Gamora, former soldier with daddy issues, fights own people.
>D'argo= Drax, no-nonsense warriors on a quest for revenge after the death of a wife
>Visually Rygel= Rocket, small sarcastic puppet like figures
>Groot=Zhaan, humanoid plants

>Cool alien designs
Yes, humans in some exotic color, or with a pig nose and big forehead, very very alien.

That shits always looked awful

i was like 11 when it aired on scifi, was too young to appreciate it

watched on netflix over a decade later and its my favorite scifi show hands down

Also GOTG 2 had Ben Browder in it which is a dead giveaway.

how does fasrcape compare to sg1?

Until Starlord goes insane he's nowhere near as good as Crichton.

The first half of the first season is kind of slow, but then two things happen that make it incredible to watch.
Scorpy shows up and Crichton loses his god damn mind.

Isn't that The Expanse's whole gimmick?
Quit out of boredom halfway through S2 though.

Will we ever have hard scifi like this again bros?

When it's good, SG-1 is the best.
When it's bad, SG-1 is the worst.

Farscape is consistently decent.

Post your art, you fucking jerk.

Also, who the fuck is on the right or do they look that much older in real life?

"Grounded in reality" is a loaded term. Hard SF is rooted in science proper as opposed to SF that hand waves technical things as it focuses more on story and characters.

Nigga you even know what Hard Sci Fi is supposed to mean? That literally describes shit like Arrival.

Word you're looking for is Space Opera, and Valerian is probably gonna scratch that itch for you. Hell, the main characters are already great alien designs.

youtu.be/bcIlQFPbPnM

Farscape was hard sci-fi for the first 15 minutes of the first episode.

>Word you're looking for is Space Opera, and Valerian is probably gonna scratch that itch for you. Hell, the main characters are already great alien designs.

I don't think we'll ever again get space operas. Everything with a decent budget these days is just an action movie with a different backdrop, SF in this case.

Farscape is hard af nigga where u comin from u dont seem hard 2 me come at me nigga where u comin from

I thought it got canned because the faggot that took over the sci fi channel had a hateboner for sci fi

Red Dwarf, Stargate SG1 and Atlantis are the only sci-fi I can handle.
Tried Firefly and Star Wars and Star Trek and Farscape but it's all wank if it's not Dwarf, SG1 or Atlantis.

Star Wars and Farscape aren't even science fiction, they're full blown science fantasy/space opera.
Firefly is shit, so of course you wouldn't like it.

What would you consider hard sci fi then you ignorant lout?

Most movies/tv writers are idiots. They use the same template for everything (the BS2 beat sheet for the uninformed) and a few "rules" they think are muh speshial secrets (don't give the viewers what they want but want they need, show don't tell, etc.) but they are too retarded to use them in a good way.

Not him, but:
The Martian
Gattaca
Alien (just the first one though)
Blade Runner

Hard doesn't mean ultra-realistic, it just means realistic enough. Alien beings can be hard sci-fi.

BS2 is just a simplified Campbell's Hero's Journey for the slow witted.

Where is the hard evidence for alien beings because I would say hard sci-fi is fiction based on hard scientific evidence.

Transcendence and Interstellar would be more good examples.

Shows in general changed because producers have to watch their quotas of minorities, women etc now. They simply can't carry out their ideas anymore without taking these things into account, it's virtually impossible now. Thought provoking material is automatically excluded from mainstream exposure.

Ps. if you cry 'go back to Sup Forums' about this, you're part of the problem because nothing could be more obvious.

youtube.com/watch?v=-c4UJJPEyGA

holy fuq

Even The Man from Earth is considered Hard Sci-Fi and it's about an immortal guy that was the basis for Jebus.

It's about scientific accuracy and realism. If an alien being is handled that way, it becomes hard sci-fi.

Soft is when you could easily substitute science for magic and it would be the same. It's not explained or based on existing knowledge/potential scientific possibilities.

>The heart of the "hard SF" designation is the relationship of the science content and attitude to the rest of the narrative, and (for some readers, at least) the "hardness" or rigor of the science itself.[8] One requirement for hard SF is procedural or intentional: a story should try to be accurate, logical, credible and rigorous in its use of current scientific and technical knowledge about which technology, phenomena, scenarios and situations that are practically and/or theoretically possible.

There is more hard evidence that some DNA mutations, like with the immortal jelly, can cause cells to split indefinitely and DNA to be preserved nearly forever than there is for advanced alien beings traveling light years.

It's not just about edvidence, it's also about theories.

Hard is just they way the story is told.

Hard is about what kind of evidence supports the theory you are building the fictional story around.

No. Not really.

Its more coherent than saying hard is the way the story is told, what does that even mean and how is MfE told in the same way as 2001?

sounds exactly like the new star wars films

>Where is the hard evidence for alien beings because I would say hard sci-fi is fiction based on hard scientific evidence.
No, it's fiction BASED ON scientific knowledge. It can be speculative as long as it's plausible within the frame of current scientific knowledge.
You might have heard the name thrown around before, but go read Blindsight.

>BASED ON scientific knowledge
Scientific knowledge is by definition based on hard evidence.

>speculative
That is hypothetical or theoretical science, not scientific knowledge.

>Firefly is shit
I disagree

>implying Farscape is hard sci-fi
more like hard piece of shit

God Daniel became a fucking tank in the later seasons.

POST IT

>

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

remember that time they went to a muslim planet and carter joined new-mohammed's harem?

They were mongols dude.

that's not hard sci-fi you baiting faggot

that's not stargate you baiting faggot

Well mongols were muslims for a while so now what smart guy? How about the episode where NOT-hitler didn't like niggers and Jack was such a good goy he killed him instead of saving earth.

Except they showed no evidence of being Muslims. Their culture had probably created their own religion after generations on that planet.

But you're right about not-Hitler.

this: also it was like the first episode after they closed the movie thread, where they didn't really found they tone and went for the Planet of the week scheme

>theoretical science, not scientific knowledge.

You heard it here first folks, theoretical physics BTFO. Einstein, Hawking, literally NON-SCIENTISTS.

Nah the entire first season of sg1 is pretty bad. There's also the apocalypse now episode for example.

Hawking isnt a scientist, he's a puppet who hasnt been able to speak his own mind in decades.

that not-hitler was a clone-army , no? O'neilll did nothing wrong.

No they used drones, to fight the nonwhites. They had a bunch of guys in cryostorage though, you're probably confusing the point when they realize they're all whites.

bop