Thurop van Orman @ Disney

Thoughts?
Disney definitely seems to have something that's attracting veteran creators

Other urls found in this thread:

plus.google.com/117723736465761404558
jhonenv.tumblr.com/post/102166605675/very-important-house-pilot-update-news-edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Disney definitely seems to have something that's attracting veteran creators
Yeah, we call it 'money'

Literally who?

I probably won't watch whatever it is but good for him I guess

The guy who made Flapjack. The forerunner of Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Creator of Misadventures of Flapjack

Could very well be, job security too. Craig's show got cancelled and they're keeping him on the payroll.
But at the same time I have to imagine the work enviroment is pretty good. Lots of genuienly talented and creative people in top positions (like Rich Moore), you don't usually get that. They even got Jhonen Vasquez to make a pilot for them and it didn't really seem like he wanted to work in animation again after how Nick treated him. Wonder if that show will get made, or if we'll see that pilot if not

Seeing that Cartoon Network is no longer for seasoned cartoonists and is more for recent CalArts graduates, I can see why everyone is going to Disney

I hope he and Craig work together on something.

Also yeah, Disney definitely seems to be a better place for cartoons than CN is now.

>enjoyed the disney shorts
>look at the writers in imdb
>some of them actually worked on older cartoons I liked
As long disney gives them enough money and time I trust them except in videogames

How do you see this post?

plus.google.com/117723736465761404558

Will Disney bring back the 2005 cartoon era?

It's Facebook

Awesome. He also worked with Dreamworks on the upcoming Home Netflix cartoon. Now that I know his name is attached I actually might watch it. If it sucks, well Disney has him now. And his future Dreamworks movie projects are dead. My guess is Universal buy out. Anyway he did voice Lil Gideon so idk why you are so surprised. I hope that he can make that untitled Viking film for Disney or Pixar. If its attached to Dreamworks it will be garbage.

Cool, nice to see he spent that time between Gideon VA work to get a into other shows. Here's to him getting a pitch through.

Craig has posted he's planning out a serialized comedy cartoon. Maybe something to that.

That would be a slick feature to put with their Polynesian film coming out. Have her interacting with those Vikings in a short.

large sacks of cash with dollars signs on them?

Thanks!

>mistook a faceboook screenshot for google plus
i am pretty sure this is literally the first time any human has made this mistake

That helps I bet.

I'm using neither. Sorry, senpai

Well you don't have to worry about that anymore because Disney shut down Disney Interactive and is only going to outsource stuff from now on.

Money?

Yes, they all want some of that green stuff

I wonder why Alex Hirsch wanted to get out of there so badly then

Welcome to the team!

Tv division?

Am I the only one who doesn't like FlapJack? I mean, yeah, a lot of people who later created shows I like started their career at this thing, but still

>a lot of people who later created shows I like started their career at this thing
It's nice that you noted that

In my mind, I always sit it next to Rocko's Modern Life in terms of how influential it was for cartoons that would come later

You do know this guy did that horrible PPG episode and the 1st season of Sanjay and Craig (aka the season what even the fans of the show don't like)?

Because he disagreed with them too much. Constantly had to fight to get shit approved. Disney repeatedly rejected ideas like "Mabel has a pet butterfly and it dies to a bird and her world crumbles as she tries to understand the concept of death" for being too dark. And things like how Disney refuses to release a full box DVD of Gravity Falls because it's too costly even though Alex wrote a long essay to their higher-ups why it would be beneficial.

He's a young man trying to fight an old system that veterans have accepted by now.

Still bothers me how much slack people cut to it because of that
At least stuff like Ren and Stimpy had a lot of good things going for it

It was funny af

I thought craig wasn't on disney anymore after getting fucked over by executives

I think somebody posted a twitter of him saying that he was getting a pitch together about a serialized series.

>serialized series
>serialized
>series

>all the artists i grew up looking up to now have jobs at CN, Nick, and Disney
>maddie flores has jumped between all of those companies
>kc green wrote for adventure time
these people are living my dream and im sitting here working a deadend job. fucking kill me bros

>Disney definitely seems to be a better place for cartoons than CN is now.
>Pickle and Peanut
>Star Vs
>Penn Zero
>Marvel
>not even on the main network but the sister one

What makes you say that?

Of all networks, CN really seems to be the network equivalent of being "Indie Friendly"

hasnt he had a project going on for a while? i think its called black forest or something?

Though to be fair, we also know that Disney was pretty much ruining the flow of the show because of all the hiatuses. I personally think one of the big reasons we didn't get a season 3, and 2B felt so rushed, is because Hirsch wanted to try to keep people somewhat satisfied, and they wouldn't have been very happy if they waited for months for episodes with little plot progression, and then they had to fit in too much plot in too short an amount of time, which left what should have been a big player (Ford) feeling sort of flat and underutilized.

That's an idea for a stop motion movie he had, I think he tried to get it developed at Dreamworks but mostly it's just his slowly gestating hobby, who knows if it'll ever get made, lots of pitches don't.

without his shitty influence CN can only get better. He's a fucking hack that only hires people who think like him. Good ridance.

He's been away from CN for six years

The bad PPG episode can chalked up to him being young and inexperienced and also him possesing a style tonally inappropriate for that show. Sanjay & Craig he had little input on, didn't write or storyboard any of it.

I thought JV just did the character designs for that show.

I want Thurop to be my dad.

He's honestly my favorite showrunner of a cartoon, I named my cat after him

He did some character designs (and nothing else) for
Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja. That show got two seasons.
Disney ordered a pilot co-created by him and a Rick and Morty staff member called Very Important House last year. No other word on it yet, as far as I know

Which PPG episode?

Well, there's this:
jhonenv.tumblr.com/post/102166605675/very-important-house-pilot-update-news-edit
So it's probably still in development, most likely.
Also
>Synopsis: 11-year-old Frolie moves into the Very Important House and suddenly finds herself in the role of caretaker of the universe.

As long as he gets to make his own show, this should be great.

No excuses.

Money.

They want their Spongebob Killers, and they're willing to shoot in all directions to get it.

>Spongebob Killers

They fucking almost had it with Phineas and Ferb too. People forget how fucking huge that show got in it's prime.

Phineas and Ferb WAS a huge success, and it lasted as long as it possibly could have.
>the pilot aired almost 9 years ago

>Aaron Springer finally gets his own show because of disney

>They want their Spongebob Killers

CN's been doing that since 2005

Yeah, I think it might have legit succeeded in keeping Spongebob down for a time, since SB was at it's absolute lowest at that point.It was everywhere and everyone was talking about it.

Man, I'm glad P&F ended when it did, but I still miss those days when it was the new biggest thing.

>Tfw it beat Kim Possible for longest running Disney TV cartoon

So what's CN's current "Spngebob Killer?" TTG?

Why not copy the text, and post a high quality image, rather than a single word question and a screencap of a tweet? Like a picture of the creator and/or some of his work.

for real. he does so much cool shit with his kids and built a fucking amusement park in his backyard called van orman land entirely by hand. this guy lives the life i want to live

Aside from that, It doesn't have one

>Worked on the savino seasons of PPG
>was a storyboard revisionist for Billy and Mandy
>like some other guys working on PPG at the time (like Clay Morrow and Mark O'Hare) he went on to work on Camp Lazlo (which was mostly staffed by spongebob people that left after the movie)
>Created flapjack (mostly staffed by Lazlo crew members and some fresh blood)
>Served as Supervising Producer for Season 2 of AT, being involved with the outlines of the first 2/3rds of the season
>Left CN and served as supervising producer for season 1 of sanjay and craig
>Served as co-developer of the upcoming Home netfix show (with a sanjay and craig guy named Ryan Crego)

>(mostly staffed by Lazlo crew members and some fresh blood)
And Lazlo was made by Rocko's creator

God damn I swear every cartoon on TV right now can be traced back to Rocko

sun scream

rocko, ren & stimpy, or 2 stupid dogs (and even then a lot of Ren and Stimpy guys worked on 2 stupid dogs, though not the creator)

>1st season
>even fans don't like it

So who the hell would dislike the 1st season of something and then still stick around for the second? How does that show have fans at all?

>built a fucking amusement park in his backyard called van orman land entirely by hand.

Holy shit, pics?

isn't shit like that illegal though

IT'S DISNEY. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gee, maybe the fact that it's fucking Disney?

Yeah

The name "Disney"

which means a plot that continues episode to episode and is built upon a larger plot.

networks commonly want episodic self contained episodes not serialized larger idea series.

Save Netflix who encourages serialized plots.

Just start talking people in the know learn what they look for and start applying. Nick has a few openings staffing a new animated show.

Was there a real reason for you to samefag like this?

Black Forest looked like the greatest thing. I just can't explain it. Not only did the style and concept look cool, but centering a movie around a blooming child romance that doesn't succumb to tropes seemed really neat.

I kind of liked Sun Scream. It was lewd.

but

and were made less than a minute apart, bonehead.

Chris Savino was responsible for tanking both Dexter's Lab and PPG, but Loud House is pretty fucking good.

Yeah, paychecks.

>and PPG

Didn't know that, just thought he did the Dexter's Lab revival.

Has Craig ever talked about how he feels about those post-movie PPG episodes? I know he was still at CN at the time so he clearly wouldn't have said anything then...

Everyone else here knows who he is and there's no other source or info at this time, ya numbnuts

That doesn't make a screencap of a tweet an appropriate OP image.

>2014

RIP

couldn't we have least gotten concept art

I like this guy. I hope his project comes out well.

>image
Miles from Tomorrowland has a legit catchy opening song

A lot of these guys wouldn't have wanted to work for Disney earlier in their careers, they have idiosyncratic unique styles. Much of Disney's television work has long been perceived as corporatized, homogonized, and bland, few until recently have recieved the same sort of acclaim as Cartoon Cartoons and Nicktoons. Their films obviously have a prestigious legacy and they're all well-made but they generally fair no better in riskiness or originality.
I think if that were still the case these veterans wouldn't be working there, but something's changed. The work enviroment has become conducive to the type of work these guys are creating.
Given that CN seems to be mildly falling into disrepair given its braindead schedule and lack of a published future programming slate so far this year (the only kids channel to not have done so) and Nick long since past its heyday with just a couple of gleams of hope I would say Disney's looking brightest right now, even if they lack a truly great show currently airing (I like Star okay though).

>even if they lack a truly great show currently airing

WOY's good too... Rest in paradise ;_;

But yeah after GF it does feel like it's missing something. Not that GF was perfect but it was DIFFERENT, the heavy story focus and conspiracy angles were great fun.

When a new season of a show is released (especially S2) many people will.give it another shit to see if it worked out the kinks.

I know I always give a show a second look if it gets another season, no matter how much I originally disliked it. I've found some good work because of it.

GF had a hook in the mystery stuff and appealing animation/character designs and it kept people with the humor, storytelling, and characters. It was a very well conceived show idea and it was inevitable that it was going to be a big hit, especially with the older crowd who watches cartoons.
I think they're hoping one of these guys can create something that appeals on such a wide level again.

And even with that, Disney is still in a far better place than CN right now. AT and Regular Show haven't been good on years, and SU is decent at best. Also

>Star vs
>bad

>I think they're hoping one of these guys can create something that appeals on such a wide level again.
They're definitely trying to push shows as having the same kind of appeal as GF considering how huge that got. Star seems to be their next big hope, as it has a similar character dynamic and has hints of the mystery elements everyone loved in Falls. Not to mention they've already given it three seasons, a comic book series, a phone game and Carl Weathers, so they must really think they're onto something here (or at least are trying to make people think they're onto something.)

Clarence is great, the fever dreamy late season one episodes less so but they've gotten back on their feet. It is it's own thing and does it extremely well
Gumball is hit-or-miss and I personally can only take in small doses but it is often hilarious and incredibly original
We Bare Bears is indeed easily forgettable tier but it's pleasant enough, I don't mind that it exists
Adventure Time and Regular Show should end already
TTG! is bad

I think they definitely intended Star to hit the same sweet spots and get a lot of GF's fans but it lacks older audience appeal. That is to say it's got inneudos n such and it's a good quality show but it does indeed feel like a goofy kids show. It has its fans among people who don't mind that (and there are plenty) but there will always be a cap to its appeal. Gravity Falls feels like The Simpsons, I've met several otherwise normal adults who don't even enjoy AT/RS kind of stuff who've gotten hooked on it.

Not really. RIP just development and getting production rolling takes a long time.

>even if they lack a truly great show currently airing
They had one, but got rid of it for some reason.

>Craig McCracken had wander and is now developing his own show. Faust was also involved with season 1
>Maxwell Atoms, CH Greenblatt, and William Reiss worked on fish hooks (though only Reiss still works at disney)
>Paul Rudish has the mickey mouse shorts (which are almost over)
>Dave Wasson works on star vs and the mickey shorts
>Aaron Springer worked on GF and the mickey shorts and is getting his own show
>Povenmire and Marsh are still at disney