Do Americans and Europeans really get internet speeds this high?

Do Americans and Europeans really get internet speeds this high?

I have "ultra-fast broadband" and my download speed is 2 mb/s. This is considered "ultra fast" in New Zealand.

I honestly can't tell whether these speeds are real or just exagurations.

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/news/2017/08/14/63-million-americans-exposed-unsafe-drinking-water/564278001/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have the speed in your picture

>I honestly can't tell whether these speeds are real or just exagurations.
They're real

Why is the Swiss flag square shaped

>I have "ultra-fast broadband" and my download speed is 2 mb/s
No you don't

Its illegal to call that broadband here.

Eccentric or stubborn

post a pic, kiwi

I have a download speed of 60mb/s using wired connection and It's pretty standard, how the fuck can someone put up with 2mb/s outside of a smartphone? Governments were overthrown over less.

i don't know if any ISP offers 1gbit/s download here, maybe in some big and good developed cities like Wrocław, but definitely no 1gbit/s upload, not even close to that

250mbit/s download and 20mbit/s upload is pretty common here

from speedtest.net

i knew some New Zealanders from Tibia and fuck me, playing with them was horror, 200 ping and constant kicks
and Tibia is very unforgiving game when you die

Living in NZ/Australia seems like hell tbfh.
I would seriously emigrate for better internet.

1000/1000 is rare as fuck here, since FTTH isn't common at all. Most "fiber" internet plans are FTTN, so once you're usually not getting above 250/250 on those.

If you want gigabit your only option is usually DOCSIS 3.1 cable, which means fuck all upload, usually going to be getting 1000/30

When I played halo 3 back in the day, I'd blue screen the game every 2mins. Pissed off people so much they'd rage quit.

>even poortugal is more first world than you

FUCK OFF ALBERTO. FUCK OFF

first !

If you truly have "UFB" you really need to look at replacing your shitheap wifi AP.

It is more likely you don't have UFB and are stick on a conklin ADSL cabinet in some bumfuck outer suburb.

whats the fastest speed you can get and how expensive is?

You related to the president or something?

Who needs more than 100mbit

not event bants, just a poor attempt to fit in, have self respect man

Honestly this.
I have 60mb/s and the only times my internet speed isn't satisfactory is when the server has problems.
Actually, if I want to stream shit from youtube in 1080p I'd have to wait for a few seconds, but that could be resolved by bumping it up to 100mb/s or less.

>b-but muh poortugal

>flag
>self-respect
>implying

Im not the faggot spitting lines from another thread

>Mexico has faster internet than you

If you live several people in a household and everyone streams/downloads stuff, then 100mb can reach its limit.

>1ms

I have doubts, it takes 1ms to get from switch to switch in my 100% cisco environment at work. ~13ms to google.

The faggot is probably running a server locally

QoS may fix that

Are you retarded? That will just make streaming a nightmare for everyone

thats the point. I let MY devices normal and facebook machines 1MB at most

I have 50 down and 20 up and it is plenty.

What do you faggots do that would benefit from a 1Gbit/s connection?

yeah

Australia and New Zealand have Telstra as the wholesale company who controls most of the connections in our region, meaning that there is basically nothing we can do because even if the government tried to force Telstra to not be complete cunts of humanity, they wouldn't care, because ultimately they have no competition.

downloading stuff to my raid ssd setup

are you sure its the companies fault and not geography?

it makes sense to upgrade infrastructure for places with hundreds of millions of people but australia and NZ don't have the density to pay for such upgrades and you guys are in the middle of nowhere.

Dunno about Aus, but we had major monopoly issues in NZ up until recently. We had to break up the major provider, who ended up rebranding because of the negative press they recieved.

>I have "ultra-fast broadband" and my download speed is 2 mb/s.

That would be considered a very bad connection here.

The people who would benefit from it are those who either have a lot of machines connected to the network (and not just facebook machines, torrenting and hosting shit and so on) or are running a fairly active server (that is, a lot more than just running a vidya server for 32-ish people).
But that doesn't matter, because the people who get it are morons with disposable income.

I'm not sure why my uplink is faster

That's kind of wasteful, even if you run some sort of server.
try contacting your ISP about it, I may be coming off a little tech illiterate here but I heard you can ask them to trade some uplink for downlink and vice versa.

Running home businesses or small businesses with many connections and users. Here in Australia, high speed, reliable fibre connections businesses use are incredibly expensive, sometimes thousands a month. Cheaper access to these sorts of higher capacity bandwidth connections makes smaller businesses and working from home, especially for IT related work, so much more viable. We have been losing small businesses who have taken their work overseas to cheaper Eastern European countries, for example.

>and not geography
There's no fucking excuse.
>but australia and NZ don't have the density to pay for such upgrades and you guys are in the middle of nowhere.
user, in Australia almost everyone lives in a tiny slice along the coast. 84.7% of our population live 50km from the coast. Your argument is the sort of bullshit the likes of Telstra like to throw around, but it doesn't match reality.
These companies are making an absolute fortune and have fought back against government urging them to invest in infrastructure every step along the way, because they benefit from holding the nation back.
During the recent national broadband scheme being an election talking point, Murdoch spent millions on anti-NBN propaganda because he owns the pay-tv sector and makes a massive amount of money from cable TV services, which would be far less appealing if people could access Internet streaming services cheaper and easier simply with their home connection.
There is absolutely no excuse for the state of our Internet. It has been held back for decades purely out of corporate greed, nothing else. To give you an idea, the government spend some 60 million dollars buying back fucking rotting copper from Telstra to use for the new mixed technology fibre to the note national broadband project. From the date of the roll-out happening, Telstra started to refuse maintaining and fixing existing connections because they are pissed off that even this shitty national broadband overhaul means they stand to profit less. This means that thousands of people are going to and have been left with shitty fucked up services due to water in pipes, spilt cables, etc. and Telstra aren't lifting a fucking finger because eventually the NBN is going to be overhauling that section.

You know how America has Comcast and other shitty pseudo monopolies? Australia has a version of this if they were allowed to get away with everything.

I don't want them to touch something and fuck my connection forever.

I am American and one of my best friends is in NZ. He has fiber and gets better speeds than I do. Gigabit internet is in very few places, mostly larger cities. 60mbit is the top speed where I live in the US. There are fiber providers here in the Philippines that can give you more than that. Most US ISPs suck ass and take forever to upgrade their lines. They want to squeeze as much as possible out of their existing infrastructure.

Many places got gbit fiber through municipal broadband projects built by local government. ISPs used lobbying to get Republicans to pass laws preventing this from happening so there hasn't been as many new projects. This means underserved and rural areas will likely never see these speeds.

I nearly said 'oh come on, they wouldn't break anything', but I know the feeling of having a solid, working internet connection after a series of fuckups, so I understand where you're coming from.
Still, all this uplink is going to waste if it's higher than downlink, if you ever feel risky keep it in mind.

I normally don't have speeds that high but I'm thinking about upgrading. Comcast is offering a new "light-speed" plan but you can only access facebook, youtube, and a few news sites.

Had to move to smaller city and downgrade my internet from 100mb to 2mb, I just want to cry every day

how is geography not an excuse? you guys are in the middle of nowhere surrounded by water. you also don't have a significantly large population to service so all the infrastructure required to bring you up to EUR or NA standards costs way too much, so much you guys don't want to pay the extra dollars to get it. notwithstanding AUS population grows like shit compared to higher density regions so the future payoff is significantly lower if any company decides to upgrade the infrastructure.

>2mb
HAHAHAHA WHAT THE FUCK

goodbye wife

rude

dick measuring contests on the internet

seething greens voter
you do know the nbn is being fixed right, not with an fttn model either

telstra owns all the cables yeah but there are now plenty of providers so shut your trap cunt

I'm at 300 Mbps in Lyon.
This is pretty average for a big city in France.

I think OP pic would be expensive here. 100 mbit/s costs around 55 dollars a month, 40 mbit/s around 45 dollars.

In my place in the US there is 60/5. It costs $30 a month. If I want I could get 100/10 but the price jumps to $100. I consider that unreasonable.

There are a lot of comments along the line of "why would you want more upload speed?" There are plenty of reasons why these days. Being able to run one or more live video streams at a decent bitrate is important to me. Having the other people in my house be able to decide they want to upload photos to Facebook at the same time without causing my stream to wildly buffer would be nice too. I don't exactly need a gbit line but I wouldn't bitch if I had one. 100/100 seems perfectly reasonable.

doesnt america have numerous places where it's not advised to drink the water?

>63 million americans exposed to unclean drinking water

usatoday.com/story/news/2017/08/14/63-million-americans-exposed-unsafe-drinking-water/564278001/

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAH. Better update your pic, m8

i got 500 mbps at daytime and 1 gbps at night for

lol no
i get 20mb/s on average and sometimes it's 30mb/s if i'm lucky, and i'm in paris not the countryside
so did i, but it wasn't my internet provider it was the computer
turns out i changed provider for nothing, twice

inside the computer is some sort of "network card" shit that limits how much you get no matter your actual provider's limit

>i get 20mb/s on average and sometimes it's 30mb/s if i'm lucky, and i'm in paris not the countryside
What the fuck are you talking about I'm also in Paris (Clichy) and pic related with basic internet (no fiber)

yeah 100/100 is nice ofc but 1gb/s is nothing more than a dick measuring contest if you're a home user

I am getting 100/40 mid next year :D

I could make use of a gbit line at home though. I would clean up on private torrent sites.

much better than this

that can't be real

I don't understand how NZ and Aus can't have superfast internet. Most of your population lives in concentrated big cities on the coast. A few big submarine cables to Asia and you're plugged into the world's network easily. Rural areas on the other hand would cost a bomb, maybe better off with satellite internet than cables.

how ? i am using orange and i have used free and numericable, all of them were shit

and i am not in clichy lmao i am in the fucking 6th district ... how come you have better internet than me you nigger ?

TVK in Wrocław has symmetrical 1Gb up/1Gb down for 80pln.
Problem is, not everywhere. My block has only 300/300 from them for the same price or 600/60 bit cheaper from Orange. And fuck Orange.

>Americans
Some of them
>Europeans
Yes

I am in a rural area of the Philippines in a house without running water. I only get 1 bar LTE by sticking the modem in the window. It beats your connection.

>faster than 97%
well it is, its also slower compared to the rest of the country

My internet is complete garbage. They've been talking about fiber for years but it never happened. I'm in the most densely populated part of the country too.

They are the Nepal of Europe

That's because most people are using shitty mobile internet, pocket wifi devices without LTE or even 4g, and old USB modems. 3G is always gonna be shit. There are much faster connections than what I have readily available if you live in a city though.

Pls send gibs

haha bro whatever you have, its not UFB.

lol yeah? our 4G is actually really good, vastly superior to any fibre connections. not sure how that happened

Yes, this is my maximum upload, I shit you not.

I actually have this speed but that's due to the region I live in [i have DSL Frontier]. Luckily we are switching the internet to a new service via TV Cable. It's 96 mbs which is more than enough considering we had the former since 2009.

prbly related to the president or something

i fixed it fellas

>vastly superior to any fibre connections
How?

Probably because their fiber is just fiber to the node and it's pretty trash. It's similar to the AT&T U-Verse service in the US. Can't even compete with docsis.

a fair bit of the fibre that was developed was to the node; however they are fixing that now and every new development will be to the curb which shouldn't fuck over the connection speeds

When they installed fiber in the condo, they signed an agreement with the provider that gives everyone here a "free" internet connection and you can pay the provider more for a faster connection. I say "free" because the condo fees increased, but just a little bit, so it's a pretty sweet deal. It used to be 30/30, but seems like they raised it to 50/50 recently.

how do anzacs play online games

>Unsafewatertugal

i went from 100/100 to 7/5, im in hell.

which is ironic because i went from living in a shitty LA ghetto apartment to a nice house.

Ping is more important than speed for those I think.

we have a very good internet a cellphone infrastructure tbqh

tfw mass political corruption ruined the chances of your country getting super fast internet

>streaming

;_;

mass political corruption gave us the chance to get fast internet