Think this guy was cool in the cartoon as a douche character

>think this guy was cool in the cartoon as a douche character
>find out his comic predecessor was a white supremacist and wigger stereotype

Huh....

Other urls found in this thread:

johnrozum.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-i-quit-static-shock.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SURPRISE! The cartoon was better than the comics.

Was it really? I'm only learning about them now, haven't actually read them

...The fuck?

Crap, I'm glad I only ever watched the cartoon and not the source material it derived from.

they also made richie a faggot

I can't imagine why they wouldn't use that personality in a 90s Saturday Morning cartoon.

Hotstreak has fans? All the guy did was show up and blow shit up. I don't even remember him doing anything interesting.

did you expect DC to change formula? it's nothing but edgelord reading.
the only way to like DC is to watch the cartoons.

>personality removed for Y7 audiences
>better

The Static comics were much more political. In the first arc or two, Static fought white and black supremacists alike, tried to not fuck up with his gay best friend, dropped a casual anti-Semitic remark around a Jewish friend and realized he had to get his shit together a little...

He was also smarter. Not quite Peter Parker level, but he studied physics and chemistry to figure out how to use his powers well and deal with his opponents'.

>Dwayne McDuffie is an edgelord

He was gay in the cartoon too

>dropped a casual anti-Semitic remark

I gotta hear this

I cant look at Ebon without laughing because all I here in the background is a Charlie Murphy skit
>DARKNESS!

Pretty dumb they never transitioned Ebon into the comics.

He had the potential to at least be a major player as a crime boss for DC's street level characters.

He's just Shadow Thief.

It's been a long while since I read it, but it was some typical teenage edgelord "the Jews control the world" joking. One of his friends was like "You know I'm Jewish, right? I'm tired of hearing that shit" and Static realized he was kinda being an asshole.

It wasn't a big deal or a plot point or anything, just a quick 'everyone's a little bit racist' moment.

His design is 90 as fuck, guy looks like he belongs in N'Sync, but I liked it.

He had a smidgen of character development in No Man's Island if I remember right.

So they decide to go with the racist wigger version instead of some jackass hothead with fire power, and by almost all accounts the Nu52 version of Static is some kind of travesty

Is it such a sin to adapt the Cartoon or write a storyline of Virgil defending Dakota against the bang baby of the week?

>by almost all accounts the Nu52 version of Static is some kind of travesty

Next to Blackhawks, it was the worst book of the first wave. Hawk & Dove had Liefeld art, but at least Sterling Gates tried a little bit to make the story interesting. But Static had the second worst art of wave 1.

There was like a fucking plot point where Sharon was cloned, no one could tell the two apart, and so there were just two Sharons. After the book got cancelled, Virgil's lone appearance afterward was as a cameo in Teen Titans, then dropped off the face of the Earth.

Shit, the book didn't even take place it Dakota.

I know McDuffie had already died at that point, but why did anyone think that giving a notable black hero property to two white guys was a good idea at all?

black guys shouldn't write white comic characters either, amirite user?

Sorry, rephrase.

>I know McDuffie had already died at that point, but why did anyone think that giving a notable black hero property to two hacks was a good idea at all?

I've never seen anything that McDaniel did that I ever liked. Rozum, never read his stuff too much, but wasn't impressed by his 4 issues on Static.

johnrozum.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-i-quit-static-shock.html

John Rozum (who'd written Kobalt and Xombi for Milestone under McDuffie's editorship in addition to having already written Static's character multiple times) was supposed to be writing the book but the artist who had never read Static or watched the cartoons or even written a comic book before in his life decided that he could do better than Rozum and the editor agreed. So outside of a few details Rozum wasn't even allowed to write the book he'd been hired on.

The racist white supremacist wigger is the original version.

Well, I retract my derision of Rozum, and magnify my distaste for McDaniel.

You should check out Kobalt. It's about this vigilante who has to train this wimpy teenager how to be a superhero because he owed his dad a favor. I haven't gotten around to reading Xombi yet but I heard it's good too. DC even did a six-issue revival of it back in 2011 believe it or not.

Hotstreak was terribly underutilized and handled in the cartoon, I wanted to see him develop into a real nemesis, not fusion material for Ebon.