Let's have a thread about pirate comics

Let's have a thread about pirate comics

Even though I liked the pirate comic interludes in Watchmen, It seemed weird that Pirates would take the place of Superheroes. I thought Detectives or Space-Exploration comics would be more likely to take the space.

It's weird that superheroes are in the place of superheroes desu be honest.

what was the point of the pirate comic in watchmen? I always skipped it because it felt boring and verbose

There were probably are some of those around, the kid just happened to be reading a pirate comic.

It works at least threefold: as a contrast to the material in the rest of the book (and superhero comics in general), as a comment on the genre narrowness of the (American) industry, and also a parallel to what Veidt decides to do in Watchmen.

He's probably referring to a letter that states Pirate comics getting a bigger push with the decline of Superheroes. Something in-universe I think was the result of Superheroes actually existing and either being banned or disappointing.

Can't comment on the detective and space stuff. I think it depends, looking at the setting it seemed not many people gave a hoot about adventure and intrigue just savagery.

It's less about "it's a pirate comic" and more about the general tones of dread and greed that permeated most EC comics. Whether it was pirates, soldiers or cops, there's a tension that comes from palpable impending doom, and THAT'S also the point of the black freighter in watchmen.

(not ignoring the other answers. Pirates replacing heroes etc are all salient points.)

also the "man in the wilderness, slowly loosing his mind" is parallel to most all of the men in Watchmen.

>tfw no ironic twist at the end of watchmen

I guess nothing ever ends counts maybe?

Ozy's "I did it fifteen minutes ago" is pretty close. It's a weird deflated/Pyrrhic victory

but you're right in the sense that it's not an EC style "final page shock"

That makes sense, thanks for the answers!

i want an ugly crypt-master cackling and maybe giving me a pun.

well actually now that Johns is using them in DC it's really just a matter of time

Same reason people were fucking obsessed with movies about cowboys for a couple decades:

Not really any reason at all, we're just weird bandwagonning little apes

>I always skipped it because it felt boring and verbose
The pirate story is about a guy becoming a monster in his desire to avert a perceived impending tragedy. Kind of like Ozy.