Lucasfilm had no mapped story after Force Awakens says Rian Johnson on twitter

Lucasfilm had no mapped story after Force Awakens says Rian Johnson on twitter.
When a fan asked in VanityFair "But some of the story was already planned, yes?"
He simply replied: "Nope."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iXDnFYu91vY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why is this surprising at all? TFA was a rushed mess. they hardly planned that entire film, let alone anything past it.

this is a train wreck waiting to happen

it's not like the original movies was planned for a trilogy. but seriously guys we can't let Rian get his hands on the nuclear codes

>a jew jew abrams storyline was not properly thought out

The hack of a director that is JJ Abrams treated Star Wars like a pilot for random sci-fi TV series where all you have to do is open the mystery box and let other guys deal with the mess you created.

The original trilogy, not only had the whole story but also more. George actually planned 3 trilogies. He didn't make trilogies because it's fun, he did it because he created such a huge story, it would never fit in one film. Disney on the other hand are making trilogies on the fly with absolutely no idea where they're going.

The plan is clearly the original trilogy
TFA was a ANH
The next movie is going to follow Empire

Also they clearly want to see what fans want.
Like if Finn ends up gay that is clearly a fan wish and not something that was planned.

they will probably hint that the asian is a transgender to make everyone happy. Like Finn founds her ID card and asks who is Robert? ANd she says, he used to be me.

Hey guys, you ever see that really old movie, Empire Strikes Back?

I know there was backlash because there were no Asians so that is why she is there but I didn't know there was transgender backlash.

This.

>transgender backlash.
those weirdo fucks cry about everything, disney didn' even let rey and finn get together, they're not going to stick a fucking tranny in the next one.

selling star wars was a mistake

fucking this. George was the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars. Fact.

If he was the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars then why did he off hand writing and directing duties to other talent for V and VI.......................

Are you saying that wasn't a great decision?
Especially for V.

He was the ideas man. He's definitely not the best director or writer around, but he can build a world and use ideas creatively.

Yeah, you're right because he isn't the best thing to happen to Star Wars.

He will receive your apology now.

Star Wars would literally not exist if he didn't create it from nothing but his own brain. Good luck arguing that.

He will be knowns as the man who killed SW won't he. It's happening

Considering shitty star wars now vastly outweighs good star wars I'd say it would be better for Star Wars if it didn't exist.

Idiot

Because after ANH, Lucasfilm became a huge company and he was the CEO. He said it himself, he couldn't run the company and direct the movies at the same time. However, the story is entirely his, and Kasdan's contribution is irrelevent, probably just some dialogue. He also said he constantly had to tell Kirshner and Kasdan what he wanted to be done and how it should be. He explained it in the Charlie Rose interview

>if he didn't create it from nothing from his own brain.
Except A New Hope is pretty much the American remake of The Hidden Fortress with all of his science fiction influences like Flash Gordon as well as Western films.
George Lucas was the worst thing to happen to Star Wars and the '97 editions of the movies that we're stuck with and the prequels are proof of that.
He simply got lucky that he was friends with Spielberg and Coppola in a time where they were emerging talent and was married to Marcia who saved what would have been another crappy science fiction B movie.

Hi, Lucas.

youre a legitimate retard
go to bed

>He explained it in the Charlie Rose interview.
Yeah, at least Kirshner and Marquand were alive to defend themselves.
I'll take the actors words over his. It's amazing A New Hope even completed filming at all considering he barely even spoke to the cast because they'd laugh at his terrible dialogue.

holy shit

Thank God

Star Wars always was a derivative shit designed to sell merchandise, now it's also a trombone for SJW leftist propaganda. Anyone who has anything to do with it should consider removing his genes from the history of human species.

It wa splanned for THREE trilogies. Lucas even wrote novels for the 3 movies of the OT before the first SW even came out (not the ones that came out later co-authored/ghostwritten by other people but proper Lucas novels). Lots of things changed over the years, to the point of being completely different in the end, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a plan.

There was even a plan to make tv movies if they couldn't make TESB soon enough. That plan became the book Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Lucas was talking about the 3 trilogies as early as 1979 in magazines.

>because they'd laugh at his terrible dialogue
I've read this for years and years, was the dialogue changed on set? Because the dialogue is good and charming.
>Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?
>Great, kid! Don't get cocky!

Those are off the top of my head but I really don't understand what people have against the dialogue in ANH.

You don't know anything about Lucas, he is arthouse filmmaker that made a movie the producers didn't understand and thought it was a stinker. It's the opposite of the current Disney movies. If the movie had been made to sell toys, his producers would never had sold him him the copyrights.

There was a lot of improvisation because there was dialogue that no human person would actually say.

What the fuck is Disney even doing? Why is Kennedy so dumb? She probably didn't think it beyond the Mary Sue protagonist thing.

An we know they were wrong you stupid. The dialogue are excellent and fit to the space opera that SW is. Now in Disney movies we have the crappiest one-liers from adults who speak like children who've never been to school. And everyone is happy

Star Wars was pretty much the first movie that had to sell merchandise in order to promote and market the movie.

>selling star wars was a mistake
George Lucas was blackmailed.

Who quips first? Me? You?

I've been saying this from the moment I first finished TFA but everyone was in denial.

We will never find out who/what Snoke is nor his background and motivations by the end of 9. Cap this. The only way we might is some future spin off movie or game.

I like that they did it this way. It's just like the original trilogy.

>dialog was excellent.
quip ford
femnazi leia
butler robot
beeping robot
bigfoot growing
sarcastic joke murder bot.

>Power convertors

Even Mark Hamill mentioned at celebration that he was sure there will be books and videogames explaining his background story as how he ended up on that island. But what do you expect after lines like "that's a story for another day"

It was openly stated during the production of TFA that the writers had mapped out all the movies at once, at least the overarching basic story. I specifically remember thinking it was a contrast to how the OT was made, which was made up along the way despite what Lucas would have you believe

>planned three trilogies
He liked the idea but he didn't really have it planned beyond a few vague statements.

So, either Kathleen Kennedy is lying or Rian Johnson.

Both
Somehow.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA
*BREATHES IN*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA

Why do women pretend to like Star Wars?

>American remake of The Hidden Fortress
???????
have you seen hidden fortress or did read that shit opinion online and are now parroting it?

People been saying this since lost S2.

Snoke pretty much tells you how the trilogy is going to end in TFA. He has a little speech where he talks about the ruse of the new Jedi order. Well it's obvious the main characters aren't going to fail in their mission. So that's how this whole thing is going to end.

The twist is the "new Jedi order" thing. It's going to be built on the whole Grey Jedi thing Luke is going to teach Rey.

>still believing this horse shit

George went back and forth ALL THE TIME. He said 5, 12, 6, 9, 6..... there was NEVER A SOLID PLAN. When Star Wars did well and sequels were a go they were going to do 4 more. ESB was part 2, not part 5. When Leigh Bracket died and wasn't going to be writing parts 3 and on, George came up with the prequel idea and retroactively numbered star wars part 4.

Star wars was the first movie to revolutionize the merchandise tie-in. Where toys were at the time was perfect timing. Star Wars was not made to sell merchandise. It all came after the movie was successful. The sequels? ROTJ? Those ended up pushing products for sure. The prequels were hugely about toys. The original is far from that. If Fox got the toy rights and not george we'd have seen less toys Im sure. Fox might not even have thought to do it in the first place cause star trek and planet of the apes toys never sold that well.

kys you gullible retard

Although I agree George made up the OT as he went along, there was a lot of post ROTJ talk about three trilogies. There's a good collection quotes on original trilogy dot com.

Gary Marshall even mentions that George had plans for a bigger baddie who was behind all the problems in the universe, including the rise of Sheev. The guy who bank rolled the whole thing. This is basically what they're doing with Snoke.

Are you idiots too retarded to know studios shut Lucas down because the original script for Star Wars was so massive? It was so big it was split into 6 movies. 3 never got made and the prequels were literally background notes for the OT during the 80s

>I've read this for years and years, was the dialogue changed on set? Because the dialogue is good and charming.
The actors HATED the dialogue of the film. Its baffling how people give the OT a pass for being cheesy but rip on the PT and ST for it.
>"George, you can type this shit, but you can't say it
>"Before I met him, I couldn't write a word, and now I'm the King of Wooden Dialogue."
>"I know clunky dialogue"
>"Yes, George but you can't just say these lines!"
>"new rubbish dialogue reaches me every other day on wadges of paper"

>I'll take the actors words over his
You're being an idiot because what that user said was true. Lucas had a company to run in the 80s but had to constantly baby sit ESB and ROTJ. He may not have directed but he was there almost everyday. There were so many problems during ESB. Yoda kept breaking down, money was drying up. He described Indiana Jones as his best experience because he didn't have direct (which he hates) because Spielberg was a competent and established director that could be trusted.

Urban legend. You can read the original draft of "The Star Wars" online. It's clear he did not have anything else. The only people we've heard the mythical story you're telling is from George himself, and he's a pathological bull shitter.

You can also read Building Empire. It's hard to get a hold of because Lucasfilm hates it, but it's about the making of ESB, and it clearly proves George was just making it all up as he went along

>Confirmed for never seeing the hidden fortress

If it wasn't for lucas himself telling people he was inspired by it no one would have ever drawn a comparison between the two movies.

>Urban legend. You can read the original draft of "The Star Wars" online.
He literally says this in multiple interviews. A notable one is with Leonard Maltin.

>The only people we've heard the mythical story you're telling is from George himself
It was his script he pitched himself to these companies. Are you being retarded on purpose? You think Harrison Ford was next to him the entire time?

>You can also read Building Empire
>written with anecdotal evidence

>clearly proves George was just making it all up as he went along
>movie goes into production
>things change because real life doesnt go the way you plan
This has happened to virtually every film.

>no plans for a story
>nine movies mapped out
You're an idiot if you believe this

>nine movies mapped out
How many of these movies are anthologies unrelated to the ST?

SW was ALWAYS episode 4. It didn't have the sub-title A New Hope back then, but the crawl named Episode 4 : A New Hope was always there.

>but the crawl named Episode 4 : A New Hope was always there.
'no'

>"The crawl is such a hard thing because you have to be careful that you're not using too many words that people don't understand. It's like a poem. I showed the very first crawl to a bunch of friends of mine in the 1970s. It went on for six paragraphs with four sentences each. Brian De Palma was there, and he threw his hands up in the air and said, 'George, you're out of your mind! Let me sit down and write this for you.' He helped me chop it down into the form that exists today."

lol

Yes. Are old are you, kid?

>George came up with the prequel idea and retroactively numbered star wars part 4
Star Wars was changed to a New Hope a year after release.

That's simply wrong. "Episode 4" was only added after Episode I came out.

>the roll-ups on the original trilogy films—A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi—were accomplished with physical models laid out on the floor. Muren says the models were approximately two feet wide and six feet long. The crawl effect was accomplished with the camera moving longitudinally along the model. It was, says Muren, difficult and time-consuming to achieve a smooth scrolling effect.

>The subtitles Episode IV and A New Hope were only added to the opening crawl in subsequent re-releases. Accounts differ as to when this designation was first added; some date the change at the theatrical re-release of April 10, 1981, while others place it much earlier at the re-release in July 1978.

No. I saw TESB in theatre with my dad (oldfuck here) and it was Episode 5.

Why do you lie?

No you didn't:
youtube.com/watch?v=iXDnFYu91vY

Are people dumb enough to actually believe this bullshit? You can literally look up it was changed in '81 or '78. Empire Strikes Back was planned after success but in the case ANH didnt do well, there was Splinter of Minds eye as backup.

So?

But how can Rian kill star wars if Lucas already did?

>confuses original crawl with subsequent re-releases after '77
Is reading too hard?

Yes I did.

>A New Hope: Episode IV added after Phantom Menace
>change is as early as '78
>So?

I just watched the 7 saga films in a row after not having seen any of them (besides 7) in years.

How can people be so wrong about these movies?
I enjoyed the first 6 equally and immensely.
1, 2, 3 and 4 all feel like the exact same person made them. I don't see the change or loss of touch.
They are all excellent and ambitious films with contrived scripting that nonetheless that drew me into the world.

5 and 6 each feel somewhat different to Lucas' films, with 5 having an almost Ridley Scott-ish feel, and 6 feeling like a George Lucas film if Lucas was a bit more... restrained? I don't know, it feels almost like a Lucas film, but subtly different. (I know it's due to Lucas only sort of directing it with Marquand as the main man, but it still feels almost like Lucas directed it, with the slight difference probably being Marquand's more drama driven style.)

But episode 7. Oh my. Watching it after watching the other six in order, just... yikes.

I don't see what this movie has for any camp of SW fans.
It is pretty much the exact opposite of the PT, without capturing the feel of OT.
Seriously, SW7 does not feel ANYTHING like the OT. Not even close.
For example, ESB and TFA feel universes apart in every way from style to quality of all aspects of movie making.

I'm not sure what i'm more baffled by, the at large dislike of the PT compared to the OT and especially ANH (which is very very similar to the PT in every quantifiable way), or the seeming acceptance of TFA by anyone with more than a passing interest in Star Wars.

Even for people that think the PT is a crime against humanity and worship the alter of everyone who made the OT except George Lucas- TFA just has none of what made the OT special.
At all.

Are old I are.

The novel was published before the movie came out and it was Episode 4. I'm lucky enough to have an original 1976 copy (it's in shit condition and not worth anything though) and it was Episode 4: A New Hope.

>. Its baffling how people give the OT a pass for being cheesy but rip on the PT and ST for it.

If you can't see the difference between the OT cheese, and the PT cheese, I don't even know what to say to you other than kys for being an autistic millennial or 90s queer.

You're confusing me with another user.

daily reminder

>Brian DePalma helped with dialogue
lol

He is right tho. Name one non-white or non-human member of the Empire.

>same thread everyday for counterculture hipsters

Really REALLY wish TFA wasn't a fuckin New Hope rehash, but now with this and the lego AT-ATs I'm legitimately worried.

They should have just gone somewhere completely new. Star Wars is the thing to risk that on, because it WILL sell no matter what. You actually can take risks with a franchise like this.

We get it George, you browse Sup Forums. Go hump your ewoks or something.

Darth Vader before the end of TESB. JEJ was well known and people knew he was a black man. That's why the twist worked so well.

Palpatine before the PT.

Ummm they actually did take huge creative risks, did you not notice a tiny bulge on the chest of the main character? Understandable, but that was actually a female and it's very innovative to have a woman in a film

Go watch TESB again and come back.

That was just a cameo by a Xeno, like in Predator 2.

When Sheev became Emperor he had 2 aliens on his left and right of his floating throne as part of the Empire. One blue devil and one bald woman.