What do Europeans think about Charlemagne?

What do Europeans think about Charlemagne?

We are never taught about him in school. Is he important?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g-o9L21MpiY
youtube.com/watch?v=sg_418mWCJE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Of course he's important, he was made of gold.

I am not a Euro but I think he was the first "Holy Roman Emperor". Basically angry and hungry barbarians crashed the olden Rome. OK now what. Well in Turkey they made the "Byzantine empire" (Orthodox Christians) and that lasted til the Ottomans. In the West? The Pope (not sure which one) decided they needed a new emperor to maintain the peace and unity of Europe (Europe will fight each other unless they have soemone to maintain the peace thats why we have EU). So the Pope declared Charlemagne to be the new Roman Emperor even though he wasn't Roman (I think he was a Frank which is the olden type of French). The rest is history and Holy Roman Empire lasted a long long time.

He is based because he protected Europe by making Magyar retreat

Stupid Frenchie that roleplayed as Roman

Daily reminder that France is the direct descendant state of the Frankish Empire, therefore the French are the heir of Charlemagne.

didn't his empire split between proto-france and proto-germany?

charlemagne is fucking based

I always wondered why we're taught about the founding of America, the American civil war, and basically all of American history, but no European history prior to WW1.

Are we an American colony lads?

Proto Germany restructured the HRE with Otto, but France was still called the Kingdom of the Franks and its ruler the King of the Franks until the beginning of the 13th century

we all know that BELGUIM is the heir

Do you honestly believe that C*ntinentals killing themselves for no reason is more important history to a kiwi, than that of another Anglo nation?

All you need to know right here

Do not talk to me about this filthy *nglo buffer state

Awesome upvote this.

I know NOTHING about New Zealand btw other than (not taught in school) that there was Maori before white people and Maori killed whoever came before them.

We are best friends!
We're the two best countries in the world!

>Maori killed whoever came before them

This is a falsehood that gets repeated often. Maori were the first to NZ. That story comes from something slightly different.

Off the coast of NZ (pic related) there are the Chatham Islands. When Europeans came to NZ, the Chatham Islands were inhabited by the Moriori people. The Moriori were different from Maori in that they had a peaceful culture, since the limited resources on the islands meant they had to cooperate.

When Europeans came, Maori stole a European ship and used it to sail over to the Chatham Islands. When they got there, they took the islands over and murdered half the inhabitants. They then made it a yearly tradition to genocide and cannibalise the Moriori people. It's pretty fucked up. They literally hunted Moriori children before raping and eating them every year.

I don’t get it

Europeans constantly murdered each other even after Christianity

NZ facts:
-They are called kiwis
-Maybe kiwis are from there? And kiwi birds? WHY NOT.
-Australia jr, aka Australia's Canada
-Commonwealth state
-Maoris were there when white people got there but Maori were fierce and killed whoever came before them. White people ended up respecting Maori way more than Aborigines as a result.
-They thought about redesigning their own flag but then chickened out

WTF
T
F

WTF
T
F

WTF
T
F

That is the most fuck up thing I ever heard I was happier not knowing that story but thanks anyway. Damn I didn't want this NZ fact.

Maori were probably the most savage natives British encountered. They had literally been in a constant state of tribal warfare for 500 years.

We're not taught the Moriori history in school though, because that would make (((Maori))) look bad.

He is the greatest Belgian ever existed

eh's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

Moriori were pacifists who were sworn to non violence. When the maori first arrived they were half dead from the trip and the locals nursed them back to health.

The maori started slaughtering them and they didn't fight back even though they outnumbered them 10 to 1.

Honestly one of the saddest stories in history

The fuck? Even in the U.S we're taught about Charlemagne.

Euro 秦始皇

Pictured here in the " emperor checks his bitcoin wallet value "

Opa Karel! He bfto'd the Frisians into christianity and stuff with some epic battles. Both sides where badass to read about.

No, that's not true. Charlemagne was the king, who made the Frankish Empire powerful by conquering almost all of western Europe. After the death of his son, who inherited the whole empire, it was split between Charlemagne's 3 grandsons (pic related).
The eastern part later transformed to the HRE, after Otto I became the emperor by being crowned by the pope in 962

he killed my ancestors :(
i demand reparations from france.

Shut the fuck up you Irish retard. I hope your country gets nuked.

Gonvert to ghrisdianidy you bagan :DDDD

t. Charlemagne :DD

>aversion 2 avars
>achin' for aachen

He didn't equalate Romans though. The Roman Empire was much more developed than the rest of the world at that time. The Empire of Charlemagne was a shithole with 99% of people living in poverty and being uneducated. It was certainly less developed than the Roman Empire 8 centuries earlier.

>We are never taught about him in school.
don't worry we don't either lol

What? Is it a joke?

Belgium is a meme

The original German

j'ai l'impression d'être le seul à avoir eu des profs bidons c'est dingue.
On a à peine appris de Charlemagne et de son empire au collège
je croyais que c'était pareil partout en France

He was a pretty cool guy, he kicked the Lombard's asses and had a white elephant

>never taught about him in school
Bet you could whip me in Indochinese history though

>German
no such thing

I think you have to learn for this guy on the pic too
>In the words of French historian Alfred Nicolas Rambaud (1842-1905), “Simeon was the Bulgarian Charlemagne, but he was better educated than our Charles the Great and much greater than him, for he laid down the foundations of literature that belonged to the people."

i dont give a fuck about simeon

My ancestor :)

There are some very old songs were he is in.

youtube.com/watch?v=g-o9L21MpiY
youtube.com/watch?v=sg_418mWCJE

other than that, never heard of him.

Literally one of the most important figures in European history and thus also the history off European offshoots(colonies).

seems really cucked.
time to replace the union jack on the flag with stars and stripes

proud of my father

>look at this irrelevant dude from my shithole he's totally like charlemagne

That's crazy.
European history is the most important thing in this world. It's what gave birth to the modern world.

Should have conquered all of Iberia.
Did he fear the Moor warrior?

my ancestor :)

He's not that important in British history though and British colonies are the only ones that are >relevant

But Britain is a french colony so...