How do you feel about anime influence in cartoons?

How do you feel about anime influence in cartoons?

I don't mind it until they start trying to copy the humor or faces, then it feels a little cringe-y.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg8HOBz7sg
youtube.com/watch?v=VJaPjPZNxjk
youtube.com/watch?v=LE4jcrNS2qM
youtube.com/watch?v=67xFiC_O790
twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/709203944564596736
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

same

I dont really care about it.

I wonder what Star Fires feet smell like ha ha

anime and cartoons together(like OP) should've never been a thing. they should be their own separate thing

Can anyone think of examples when anime takes influence from cartoons? I'm thinking Looney Tunes or classic theatrical cartoons like that.

It was fine in Teen Titans.

And it's all cartoons at the end of the day.

It is okay for the most part.
But Teen Titans really did this shit too much.

Astroboy?

/fucking thread
/board
/site

One Piece? Gear 3 is some Tom & Jerry shit. Oda has specifically stated american cartoons influenced his style.

It's okay if the show in question is already trying to imitate an anime art style.

cute feet

This

Either because the writter dont know how to properly use it or the gag becomes the joke itself

It's not that hard to figure out. You see it every day. The ones that went the farthest out, have gone the other way.

Disney influences anime, anime influences cartoons. Full circle no big deal.

>anime and cartoons together should've never been a thing

Anime is cartoons you mongoloid. Just because it's from Japan doesn't make it its own super secret medium.

Literally all of anime

I don't have problem with the faces on japanese cartoons, so I don't know why I would have a problem with it on western cartoons.

As other user said, its all the same on the end.

oh she painted her toenails green
neat

>until they start trying to copy the humor or faces

It's the easiest, cheapest quality they can copy, and they usually don't do it well either.

I really don't care. Only quality matters. If they do it right, great.

I'd rather have cringe anime faces in Teen Titans than lifeless spaghetti arms

Avatar is pretty much the only series that does this properly, Teen Titans makes it too obious and uses it too much it becomes a little cringey

I noticed that too. All the current shows have that same art style, probably cause all the creators are friends

we really gonna ignore that flapjack and chowder both had really distinctive styles and were just a couple years ago?

What, no Adventure Time style?

I honestly didn't mind TT's anime styling. I like both anime and cartoons. But lately I've been phasing cartoons out in favor of anime, because while both mediums have stagnated, one stagnated as "Something only for children" and the other stagnated as "Something only for otaku". At least the latter handles more mature themes.

I've been watching the Viz dub of Sailor Moon and there are a lot of visual elements that are clearly from old American cartoons. Things like eyes replaced with beating hearts, steam coming out of ears when mad, things like that.

It made me think how the most obvious 'anime features' as above are just old American techniques coming full circle.

Big O took influence from Batman the animated series

(You)

>oh boy, I posted it again! this time it didn't even have anything to do with the topic!

this is such a shitty argument. this compares 9-10 shows from the early 60's to the late 90s, where the second picture only compares 4 from around the same few years. All of which do have diverse faces beyond the protags "beanface". for example, Gumball has some of the most diverse character designs in a cartoon show ever and just boiling it down to "beanface" is beyond unfair and just idiotic

ok then

Literally could not watch OG Teen Titans because of this. Took me years later to watch Avatar.

What I learned from both is: I shouldn't let it bother me and ruin a good series.

Nice strawman.
You do realize that the top few are made by Hana Barbera while the few selected hereare made by different cartoon creators.

Funny how Teen titans go's style isn't "cal arts" by Sup Forums's logic.

Both of those fucking posts are (you) material.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK BEEEEEEEEEEEEES

that doesn't change the fact that the first picture is still horribly flawed and biased and completely ignores the fact that modern cartoons are still just as diverse.

Weeb garbage?

>Avatar is pretty much the only series that does this properly
Found the retard

What? Avatar did that shit too just not as often since as it went on and moved away from the animeisms

I love it, but only when you can tell the creator's influence goes beyond the superficial.

That's not good, conformity leads to stagnation.

Japan loved the shit outta old school American cartoons, specifically Disney. Anime eyes are really just Snow White eyes. Don't be shocked if some Japanese corporation bought it out one day.

This. There's an actual cringeworthy way of doing it like My Life Me, and then there's this show that I have no problem with.

you aint my nigga

I only see it bothers people who are avid fans who believe the Japanese are superior in everything. It didn't bother me with Teen Titans and Avatar back then and it still doesn't bother me now when revisiting them, it only becomes a problem when the people behind them don't know how to place them or think they're being "authentic" because they abuse certain aspect (the fucking sweatdrop). With Teen Titans it was obvious that the staff were well verse in anime tropes more specifically the works of Gainax which is why they went all out with the expressions instead of just copying shit they saw it one specific show while other shows like Xiaolin Showdown, Kappa Mikey and virtually any Marathon show didn't know to properly do it which made they stick out like a sore thumb.
This is pretty much my favorite moment in the show. Whoever storyboarded it watched a lot of His or Her Circumstancesbecause it was iinfamously known for using various expressions for its characters in high octane comedy scenes which angered the creator
youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg8HOBz7sg

youtube.com/watch?v=VJaPjPZNxjk

Another show that went a step further with animeisms was Super Robot Moneky Team Hyper Force Go! Also made by Teen Titans staff which imitated the limited animation style of anime including the mouth frames, the biggest influence of the show draw from classic 60's and 70's anime more specifically Cyborg 009 and Voltes V

youtube.com/watch?v=LE4jcrNS2qM

A lot of people praise Steven Universe as the show to "get anime right" but all its doing is the same thing Teen Titans did in the 00s and that is copying anime the creators like, what Sugar does anything right is that she captures a lot of the subtle camera work anime does all the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=67xFiC_O790

I appreciate Teen Titans more so now as an adult than I did as a child, DC will never do something like this ever again.

slutty feet

i hate the faces like in pic related but i otherwise don't mind anime style.

Honestly as someone who kind of likes both anime and western cartoons i really hate it when american shows do that smug thing where they have "anime" in it and it's just awful, based on tropes that'd put an 80s toy commercial to shame.

what was going on when they had the straight up anime intro with japanese vocals? was the show animated in japan or something?

Japan still loves the fuck out of Disney. The whole world is pretty much obsessed with Disney. Shit people lose their damn minds when they find out that America isn't just one big Disneyland themepark all the time.

Puffy AmiYumi was a famous Japanese pop duo who dong the intro in both English and Japanese. A Japanese intro means that the episode is going to be comedy centric

>dong
*sang

Panty and stocking is inspired by the powerpuff girls

Yeah. The most familiar the creator is with anime generally the better the references are going to be and the more they'll add to the work. Anyone can do a Pokemon or a DBZ parody but that doesn't mean they'll understand the appeal of either show. It ends up becoming a family guy reference. When you start getting references from shit like Satoshi Kon, Osuma Tezuko or Leiji Matsumoto then you know there's genuine love in it.

The best animations take influence from multiple sources. Too bad that cartoons rarelly use anime influences right. I would say that Gumball is one that uses it right.

>I would say that Gumball is one that uses it right.
I would say you're an idiot.

Actually it was inspired by Drawn Together

Imaishi has stated several times he's a huge fan of Western works. Most of his stuff has references to American cartoons.

He is a big fan of Japanese animation you know? So is Pixar and they run Ghibli movies while work for inspiration.

I felt that it was a great way to set itself apart from Justice League at the time and I enjoyed how it made the characters very expressive for the humor
And I feel like people who say Teen Titans was shit to defend TTG are contrarian faggots

>He is a big fan of Japanese animation you know?
So is everyone who made all those shitty faux anime shows in the 00s

But he takes influence without trying to make faux anime and ending up with a caricature instead.

>But he takes influence without trying to make faux anime
Because its not trying to ape its style. Gumball is literally just a series of references

There is more about taking influence than just trying to copy something.

>Who are your heroes who work/ have worked in animation?
>>Miyazaki is a big hero of mine. I’ve always been very inspired by Japanese animation.

Disney is literally worth more than the two richest Japanese companies in the world.

Anyone got any ITunes rips of Teen Titans?

>Both of those shows ended in 2010
>just a couple years ago

literally the worst thing about Teen Titans, it makes it borderline unwatchable because of how garbage it makes the show look

it really isnt, its cartoony but not in the same way a lot of the 'cal arts' style cartoons are

Do you think she farts? ha ha do you think she gets embarrased when she farts? Haha does anyone have a funny picture of starfire farting? I need it for a laugh ha ha

> Original image takes a bunch of over the top expressive reaction images from old cartoons and compares them to characters from new cartoons all making the same expression
> Counters with picture of over-the-top expressive reaction images from new cartoons compared to older cartoons all making the same face
> "th-th-that's bullshit"

You're an unbearable whiny faggot.

Wander Over Yonder completely disproves your argument though.

The creator of that Teen Titans show is Asian so it's okay.

When it comes to CN, no. You cannot deny there's been a bit of incestuous homogenization between shows on that channel, to the point where the art styles are almost interchangeable barring a small handful of exceptions like TTGO. The NuPPG showcases this the best, where anyone that wasn't part of the original show could've been easily part of another CN show(fuck, the dream bears from the painbow episode are literally the bears from WBB).

Now shows from other channels like Disney/Nick are a completely different story, but there is a speck of truth to it when it comes to CN.

>disproves
>gets cancelled for shit rating and not fitting their grid

i feel WOY isn't fair to bring in because it's made by an industry veteran. though no one brings up those mickey mouse shorts either, or a lot of other disney shows.

The difference is that the first pic compares shows from the past across different animators and networks to shows of the current era across different animators and networks
The second pic compares shows of the current era across different animators and networks to literally one fucking studio
Fuck you, that's cherry picking

>With Teen Titans it was obvious that the staff were well verse in anime tropes more specifically the works of Gainax
Hell the last episode was basically a Gainax ending

I see it more as an anime stereotype instead of actually applying the tropes like in anime.

> That's cherry picking

Wow, sort of how the first image cherry picked in choosing specifically stock images of the characters making generic expressions? Gosh, it's almost like that's exactly the point of the entire fucking image.

> inb4 "no but see, my image cherrypicked in a slightly different manner, so it's okay"

Man, I don't care.

they always copy the bad shit (humor, chibi) and not the good shit (mechanical designs, fight scenes that are actually good)

One of Akira Toriyama's inspirations for Dragonball was 101 Dalmations.

This, so much
but hey, don't take it from me, let's see what someone who is actually in the anime industry has to say

twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/709203944564596736

>"Anime" アニメ in Japanese is just a shorter way to say "Animation" アニメーション It defines a medium, not a genre. Adventure time is "anime".

>By the way Masaaki Yuasa (Mind game, Ping Pong) directed an episode of Adventure time. Don't stick labels on everything.

Prove it

I know you're trying to make it seem like the guy you just responded to has a weak argument, but if anything, that pic proves that CalArts is in everything now. FFS, it already happened

>During the 70s everything looked like Hanna-Barbera
>During the 2010s everything looks like CalArts

Give it another 10-20 years and we'll have another cartoon boom like we did in the 90s

Ironically, Disney and Nickelodeon have various other artists compared to Cartoon Network.

Which is why the show Mighty Magiswords felt like it was on the completely wrong channel for what it originally was and deciding it to buttfuck it with it's Canadian juvenile tone and not to mention the subpar animation from all becuase of its artstyle.

>not this_post_gave_me_crystals.jpg

>How do you feel about anime influence in cartoons?
great when applied to super hero shows, shit when applied to anything else

>starfire's foot will never expand to an enormous size whilst pressed against you face

I think ben ten has a lot of anime style

Especilly ben ten alien force.

I just called him, he said its true.

>Cartoons now
>Everything is pink
>or
>Everything is blue