What's the story of Tony's heart in the comics? I know the beginning, but how did it go from chest plate to arc reactor?

What's the story of Tony's heart in the comics? I know the beginning, but how did it go from chest plate to arc reactor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UXyTurqWlm8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Ah, but what if half-asian, half-spiderman, half-Tony Stark asked you?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think he was trying to make a joke about how tony in this picture kinda looks like an Asian peter parker

It's weird shit like how Doom's face gets better and always gets wrecked again I think. He had the chest plate, then he got rid of it and had a heart transplant, then something happened to his heart again, then he got Extremis which healed him and put his armor in his bones, then he lost it again, then he lost his memory after Civil War, then he got the Bleeding Edge which put the armor under his skin again, then he lost it, then he had the arc reactor.

Okay good. I thought it was relating to some sort of rumor I hadn't heard about where Bendis retcons it so Tony's biological parents are an Asian person and one of Peter Parker's parents.

sleeping in a chestplate must've been uncomfortable

its a reference to this

Just something made up to be more reminiscent of the circle Buck Rogers often had on his costume.

Still don't really have an answer.

I think they only put in the arc reactor in response to the movies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=UXyTurqWlm8

It canonically was. He ripped it off... and then crawled towards it as his heart started to fail. He then decided to improve it. (Odd).

Tony Stark went to Vietnam to help with the war effort as an inventor. Somehow he went into the jungle on a sortie, but they were ambushed and when he ran, he ran into a booby trap. He had shrapnel in his chest; a local doctor, working for the villain Wong Chu, removed most of it, but could not get all of it out.
Wong Chu told him that he if built advanced weapons for him, he would let him live, but Tony Stark knew he could not survive and secretly swore to defeat his captor. On the second day, they gave him Doctor Ho Yinsen as his assistent. and he helped Tony to build a life-saving chest plate. He then expanded it into an armor to escape, but doctor Yinsen was killed after all. Tony then walked into the jungle, reflecting how he basically was trapped in the armor for life.

Those videos were interesting, but they didn't explain why he got the arc reactor put in after he got the heart transplant.

marvel wanted to make the comics more in line with the movies. That's the only real reason.

Of course. But is there an in-comic explanation?

probably but I can't recall it, check the marvel wiki they should have a plot synopsis.

>It's Afghanistan now

have they ever provided a good explanation why the shrapnel causes heart failure rather than just tearing his heart to shreds?

I looked in some of the summaries of comics related to the earliest appearances of the arc reactor in comics. Stuff says in 2008, during Fraction's run, Pepper was in an explosion and he created the technology to save her heart from shrapnel. Then it says she gave hers to him as per his instructions when his mind was rebooted and he lost his memories and was in a comalike state after Extremis healed him or something. Not sure why getting an implant in his heart would be necessary. It was hard to piece together. If anyone else knows more, feel free to add it.

man i always like the Ironman origin

That's vaguely familiar. I thought they did it before then.