Revolution crossover by IDW

IDW is finally making a proper crossover, guess it helps that they're all Hasbro.

So we have Transformers, G.I. Joe, Rom, Action Man and M.A.S.K.

New titles and status quos after its done as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookresources.com/article/idw-unveils-revolution-crossover-new-status-quo-for-several-hasbro-titles/pageno=?utm_campaign=idw-unveils-revolution-crossover-new-status-quo-for-several-hasb&utm_medium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner
ew.com/article/2016/06/01/idw-revolution-hasbro-universe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oops, forgot Micronauts.

comicbookresources.com/article/idw-unveils-revolution-crossover-new-status-quo-for-several-hasbro-titles/pageno=?utm_campaign=idw-unveils-revolution-crossover-new-status-quo-for-several-hasb&utm_medium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner

It was originally teased as a creative retreat a month ago.

Original sauce: ew.com/article/2016/06/01/idw-revolution-hasbro-universe

>IDW has been teasing a mysterious “Revolution” banner for the past few months, and now EW can exclusively reveal the meaning. Revolution will be a five-issue biweekly event series, starting this September, that will bring together all of the company’s Hasbro properties: G.I. Joe, Transformers, Micronauts, ROM, Action Man, and M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand)). In its wake, all the series will kick off with new number one issues and a new status quo. But IDW editor-in-chief Chris Ryall insists this isn’t a reboot.

>“We didn’t want this to be what fans have seen from so many others, which is a reboot or a relaunch where you’re asked to forget about all these characters and stories you’ve been following for years,” Ryall says. “It’s just now everybody will be acknowledging each other in a much greater way than ever before.”

>IDW’s announcement comes after rumbles of a Hasbro Cinematic Universe that would unite properties like G.I. Joe, and ROM on the big screen. Btu before any Hasbro characters come together on film, we’ll see them in the pages of comics.

>Above, check out a beautiful image of the different characters interacting (illustrated by Fico Ossio and colored by Diego Rodriguez). And if that tickles your nerd button, check out EW’s interview with Ryall about the details of Revolution below.

>>ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did this whole thing come about?
>CHRIS RYALL: It happened in a stealthy way. When I was bringing back ROM, the co-writer Christos Gage and I were talking about a nice way to make something big and impactful happen in that issue. So at the end of the issue there’s a big reveal that shows ROM might be a part of a larger universe than fans expected at the start. We were going to stealthily seed things along the way, so that fans would think these guys might exist in ROM’s world and then, in talking about it internally, it just made sense, now that we’re launching Micronauts and ROM, and we’ve already got G.I. Joe and Transformers, and were looking to do M.A.S.K. All these things should exist together. That’s what fans want to see.

>When we first launched G.I. Joe, fans asked us, “Are they gonna meet the Transformers?” And every time we’ve added a Hasbro title since then, it’s been the same question. Are the Micronauts gonna meet the Transformers? Is ROM gonna meet the Micronauts?

>>What does “Revolution” signify?
>“Revolution” signifies a lot of different things, all of which felt applicable not only to the story here but to the idea of just what we’re doing, making this universe known to people. There’s actually story elements that date back to the very first Transformers comic we did in 2005 that serve as the catalyst for why everything we’ve done exists in the same universe, and why people can be comfortable with everything they’ve followed. It’s just now everybody will be acknowledging each other in a much greater way than ever before.

>To some degree there’s a revision of history. It would be presumptuous to say that in our very first issue of Transformers we seeded the way for this event that will eventually include ROM and Micronauts. But now when we look back, we see that yeah, the story does make sense, and there’s reason for it to exist the way that it does.

>>What will the event involve?
>Revolution is its own thing. It’s a five-part biweekly series that we’re launching in September, and that series will detail the reasons why these characters are all drawn together. It centers around something called Ore 13, which is an unstable version of Energon, the material that gives the Transformers their power and life. There’s a version of that on earth, that has an adverse effect on tech, which adversely affects ROM, and changes the status of him and his villains, the Dire Wraiths. It affects the Micronauts universe in a way they didn’t expect, and then it also gives birth to M.A.S.K., which is a big new title we’re launching out of this.

>So that series details the reason for all these characters to be drawn together. Then all the series will be relaunched with new number ones and this new status quo. The plan is to have the characters go back to occupying their own spaces. I don’t want G.I. Joe or Transformers fans to feel like they have to buy every issue of everything we publish now just to get the whole story. If they do, certainly that’s a nice outcome, but I still want them to read a Transformers book and have it feel like a Transformers book. It’s just, now within that universe, ROM is somewhere in the background and may be drawn back in at some point.

>It’s sort of like the Marvel universe, how Spider-Man’s book can be his own thing but occasionally he may come into contact with the Avengers or the Guardians of the Galaxy. As a kid reading comics, that was actually something I loved, that you could read an issue of Spider-Man and Thor flew by in the background. He had no bearing on the story, but reminded you that there are other gods and heroes in the universe.

>>Beyond Revolution, what’s the long-term plan for uniting these characters?
>The long term plan is just trying to make this as organic as possible. Like I said, we live in a world where contrived universes are being created daily now. We did our best to make this one feel organic to the story we’ve been telling here. Beyond that, we want just a fun universe where people can get into where each of these characters serves a different component. The Transformers are kind of the cosmic level beings, whether here on earth or up in space. ROM, I want to be the dark conspiracy-laden corner of this universe. The Micronauts bring in the tech and science-fiction. G.I. Joe is the closest component to a superhero team book that we’ve got. We wanted a universe where all these kinds of stories can be told in different ways, but also still feel like they belong together and feel part of a larger whole.

>As these things go, you tell individual stories for a while until there’s a reason to bring characters back together again. It really opens up the storytelling potential. I don’t have to rely on ROM carrying a book by himself forever. If at a certain point it makes sense to have Snake Eyes and G.I. Joe in that book, now those characters can easily appear. It opens worlds and a broad universe of story potential.

What a day.

Thanks user, I didn't know that was the better article.

I remember that banner, this is pretty interesting. Are there any other Hasbro properties they could use?

Bump

There's stuff like MLP, Jem, and D&D... but I don't think they'd fit here.

Looks like they have Zoids and the other anime mecha stuff related to Tranformers like Gobots, but I don't think that they're interested in using those.

Actually I think Hasbro has wanted to fit Jem into the shared universe of GIJ/TFs along with Inhumanoids and Micronauts. One of the former Haslabs employees explained this had been part of the plan with TFP before it cratered.

Oh yeah that was interesting, they were thinking of Inhumanoids and Candyland as well.

>pre-pussification IDW Megatron brutally enslaving the residents of Candyland to turn them into energon snacks

Fucking FUND IT. Bonus points if Sixshot or Overlord is in it if it's pre-War ending.

Ha ha ha, what a fucking disaster.
If it weren't for All Hail Megatron and the fact they were trying to fit in preexisting IDW Joe, I could maybe see it working, but as-is we'll just have to rely on John Barber working his insane continuity magic to wrangle everything into position.
Seriously, one billion humans killed off by the Decepticons. How in the FUCK hasn't that been acknowledged by the Joe book if they're going to be canon to each other? Sweet fucking Christ.
NO MORE FUCKING SHARED UNIVERSES. NO MORE ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT #1 RELAUNCHES, EITHER. GO HOME. FUCK OFF.

>How in the FUCK hasn't that been acknowledged by the Joe book if they're going to be canon to each other?

Same way every other comic universe handles shit going down to crazy degrees: Ignoring it completely unless it's a crossover or a "GUEST STARRING SGT. SLAUGHTER" issue or something.

1/8 of the human population of Earth, though? Has Marvel or DC ever done that shit?

Without actually knowing, I'm going to assume yes, several times, and both companies have done so. I'm sure someone will come along who will provide details confirming my speculation that this has indeed happened just as I've said.

>new number 1s

Great. Let ROM reach what, issue 3? Then start over. Smart.

And MTMtE ending. Smooth.

You're referring to the Hector Ramirez universe, right?

I'm surprised IDW hasn't made an Inhumanoids comic yet. It could make for a great horror comic.

I keep waiting...

Oh well. At least ROM is probably in TF5.

Ryall's said TAAO isn't starting over at #1, so I'm not sure that other books that just started are, either.

And MTMTE's continuing per Ryall's twitter, just probably with a new #1.

Oh, I know the story is continuing. But now it'll never surpass the Marvel comic's 80 issue count.

No I am referring to Hasbro's plans for the Hub and Transformer Prime that fell under the aligned continuity. Expanding it had been part of their plans except the Hub and TFP failed.

>Hasbro properties

Avoid

Wait...

Are they really implying that a billion people died during All Hail Megatron and GI Joe never brought it up? Really?

Hasbro vs. Capcom when?

Ha, can't wait to see the TFWiki try to add all the new articles.

>implying they won't throw a hissyfit and delete them like they did with GoBots

Don't have a choice now, do they?

And damn. Who knew this one little issue would be so important. I'm putting my copy in a vault.

>GI Joe
>US organization
>US ever giving a shit about other places that don't contain people sitting on oil we want

Not quite on that scale, but as both modern Marvel and DC are found of massacres because they mistake heroes failing to stop them for mature storytelling, not all of them can be acknowledged. Out of the big ones, I don't think non-X-books acknowledged the Genosha massacre during Morrison's run at all.

They completely massacred the population of New York.

No one acknowledged when Busiek had Kang blow up Washington, D.C., either.

>Don't have a choice now, do they?
The Facebook GoBots stuff was branded "Transformers" and came from the Transformers Collectors' Club, and they STILL deleted it all.

IDW is about as much of a joke as the big two these days.

"Pre-occupied fighting COBRA".

There, explained.

It's back now.

Bare bones, and no one has any pictures, but they're still there.

Fuck you, Dave Willis.

>No Jem
>No MLP
O-okay

Jem could easily fit, but the movie did too much damage.

>Hasbro is about as much of a joke as the big two these days
FIFY

Everything else IDW has been GOAT

Well, Thanos wiped out half of the universe's population, including half of Earth.

I don't think MLP is dark enough for this continuity. These Decepticons BTFO Earth.

Is there anything besides this that'll make it hard for it to be a shared universe?

Because if they're smart they could make the 1 billion death total into a GI Joe plot point. COBRA can use the destabilization of the world and general atmosphere of fear to gain minions and strongholds around the world. People are afraid of big giant metal aliens, COBRA provides reassurance and protection.

Although isn't Earth owned by Optimus now? Does GI Joe have to report to him?

That could actually be neat. GI Joe works for Optimus Prime and gets Cybertron tech to play with. And it would strengthen the "COBRA hates aliens" angle.

Lets not get carried away here. I thought their stories have been mostly good?

No one in comics ever explores the ramifications of huge massacres except when Grant killed off Genosha and used it as a plot point throughout his series.

When's the last time someone brought up that Ultron murdered an entire country

Wasn't that fixed with cosmic retcon?

Jem works fine. It reminds me of that fancomic where her AI buddy was revealed to be made from Cybertronian tech.

Also adding in Jem brings the universe eerily close to Macross. Pop stars and mecha.

I miss ROM and Space Knight stuff in Marvel so bad.

I think DNA was the only one to actually use Space Knights in Annihilators. And then Hickman murderfucked them all off panel.

Why do the coolest concepts die in the Big 2?

>When's the last time someone brought up that Ultron murdered an entire country

At least it's not as ridiculous as shit like Magneto and Dr. Doom crying over 9/11 given one is a world-dominating dictator and the other is trying to purge 99.9% of the world for a good 30 or 40 years.

That did get acknowledged in a few other books (Rick Jones died in the Hulk), plus it was undone almost immediately afterwards (then Rick came back).

MLP would fit more than Jem would honestly, at least the characters are no strangers to dealing with world ending threats.

What would Jem contribute to the fight?

The most ridiculous person at the site was the Juggernaut who had himself tried to bring down the Twin Towers.

>What would Jem contribute to the fight?

A place for Blaster and Soundwave to crank out some bitchin' tunes. Or a concert for them to fight at.

>I miss ROM and Space Knight stuff in Marvel so bad
I hear ya. Feels wrong for Ant-Man to avoid the mircoverse and pretend half the characters don't exist

Okay I'd really love to see that

>No MLP
Just no.

Does GI Joe IDW even still have an ongoing? They just keep rebooting it.

I agree, why aren't the ponies there so ROM can realize that they're Dire Wraiths and kill them all?

>Megatron genocides their planet
>Sixshot called in for phase 6
>comic is horrifically bloody and violent, reaching Crossed levels of gore

Fund it.

If they're smart they'll say all of this stuff came about BECAUSE of the Transformers running amok in the galaxy/earth, rather than trying to retcon or worse, reboot, Transformers.

As mentioned here, it's Ore-13 that causes all of this. There is kind of retconning in that Transformers now shares the same universe with all of these other comics, though.

>IDW has the freedom to make a Zoids book
Sorry if I sound ungrateful, but jesus christ, why are they just sitting on the rights?

Where does it say they have Zoids?

And why would they? It flopped in America and Hasbro/Takara seem to have no desire to try again.

I wonder if the monsters on this cover are all different forms of the new Dire Wraiths.

Cause fuck you Boco, giant roboy animals are the coolest.

True.

I blame CN.

Actually looks awesome.

>all the series will be relaunched with new number ones

>IDW G.I. JOE is coming back..

Not sure how to feel about this, but that's cool I guess? Or are they actually going to relaunch A Real American Hero (which would suck if they did, I'd rather they keep classic G.I. JOE out of this kinda stuff)?

>FUCK OFF

>using sjw terminology

You're an idiot if you think that.

ARAH isn't taking part in this.

Doesn't matter as long as More Than Meets the Eye is not affected.

It's going to be. It's on the list of books tying in, and it sounds like its numbering is getting restarted.

>not wanting the Lost Light to meet up with ROM, in space

Y-you are lying! Y-you just w-want to hurt meee!

>Synergy is Cybertronian
>Misfits then team up with Soundwave to fight Blaster and Jem and the Holograms in a battle of the bands.
>Cold Slither comes in and challenges them all

As long as they don't go back to Cybertron again.

You don't start a quest, take a few days off and go home, then restart a quest. If you do that, the quest never ends.

I guess this means Marissa isn't or can't be Lady Jaye and Flint's daughter anymore unless they make them considerably older in the GI Joe universe.

Considering the US government and every other government is resisting Optimus' annexation I guess it's more likely that they will fight him at some point.

ROM's mostly Earth-based, though, so that seems unlikely unless Getaway is a Dire Wraith.

I know nothing about IDWJoe. How old are they?

They will rename it the Quantum realm instead of the microverse, pretty sure.

user, please!

That's an insult to the Wraiths.

Errr depends on the character? But Lady Jaye and Flint should normally be like in their late 20's to mid 30's which really wouldn't work if Marissa is in the same universe because Marissa was a college age student when AHM happened and I can't recall how many years ago that was but she should be in her late 20's which means her parents would be hitting their 50's or on their early 50's at the least.

I guess they can make her Flint's sister but that would no longer make her related to Lady Jaye.

IDW TF has a sliding timescale, but the last time it came up Marissa was in college during the Occupy Movement. Whenever that was.

And then if Flint and Lady Jaye ever get a kid they name her after Marissa (maybe she dies at some point or something happens to her, she is kind of losing her few redeeming qualities and I am getting to a point where I would be OK with losing her).

Whats a sliding timescale again?

>What would Jem contribute to the fight?
Clearly you haven't seen Macross

>Jem blaring tunes into a sound setup hooked into both Blaster and Soundwave, using the crushing bass generated by it to explode COBRA tanks

Keeps changing what year it takes place in.

Best example is Simpsons.

Okay so now that they're a shared universe why don't the Mask characters just team up with the Transformers full time, their entire premise is about transforming vehicles right?

IDW Transformers don't particularly like humans. The feeling is mostly mutual.

Makes sense. I haven't really gotten a chance to dig into any of the longer series in the universe. It's a bit dense and I'm coming into it fresh with Rom and Micronauts. I guess Action Man and Mask too.

Inhumanoids.

>not advocating wholesale slaughter of one of the most vile things to come about since Sonichu

IDW better give a good reason for leaving MLP out of this event (other than the excuse of "it's a kids comic.")

You'd think you horsefuckers would be happy because it means they likely won't fuck up your comic like they're going to with all the others.

"We don't want the furfaggotry fanbase."

>Six years
>Still being this asshurt over a series
>A series that likely is finishing it's run after the movie
Give my regards to barnyfig would you?

You'd be surprised how many of us already feel that way about the comic but I digress.

We just want to have fun with the existence of this clusterfuck too.

I was unaware things had happened with that comic that the fanbase was unhappy about.

Guess we're all fucked in one way or another then.

Will it turn out the Galactic Council is so prickish because it's full of Dire Wraiths?

That would be hilarious.