Where do you stand on fracking, Sup Forums?

Where do you stand on fracking, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/01/08/Research-ties-Ohio-quakes-to-fracking.html
earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php
profile.usgs.gov/myscience/upload_folder/ci2015Jun1012005755600Induced_EQs_Review.pdf
oldcoloradonews.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/the-denver-earthquake-series-of-the-1960s/
youtu.be/LQCU36pkH7c
youtube.com/watch?v=_zsRrYRMSKo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

DRILL BABY DRILL

I'll frack you.

It's really really really really bad for the water supply. It literally poisons the earth and turns water to plastic.

frack it!

Yeah it also causes aids and abortions

No thanks

I disbelieve that fracking is harmful to the water supply, and if it is, that's not a difficult problem to address.

Lol, granola spotted.

I'm for it.

Fines need to be actually enforced and increased so the cheapest option isn't to just overload the fuck out of the disposal wells and pay the fine if/when they get caught. It will solve almost all of the problems the libtards get their panties in a bunch over.

It's lowered the cost of oil and natural gas, so I'm okay with it.

Why would I ever be against anything I make money on?

We need to invest in green tech but we need to do it responsibly

The frackers use massive amounts of di-hydrogen monoxide to literally poison the earth. Also, large amounts of sand to rub in Mother Earth's wound.

It's so bad for the local water supply, and so little is done about it in courts to hold the companies that cause it responsible, that I believe a local militia would be justified it using armed resistance to stop production of questionable wells.

It extremely rarely causes problems for the water, the actual distance from the fracking to the water table is so massive that only catastrophic failures will cause gas to leak into the water supply

On one side you have granola-fed environmentalist freaks who basically hate everything to do with the energy industry spinning propaganda, and then on the other hand you have people who trust the energy industry unquestioningly. So getting information on fracking that isn't total bullshit isn't easy.

But fortunately for me theres no reason to frack in my corner of the world because I live in a place thats rather reliant on ground water.

God put that gas down there for us to extract

/thread

100% for it.

Despite the progressive and Clinton saying "I believe in science" they are full of shit with the paranoia around fracking.

It's extremely safe. You'd have to intentionally fuck to cause any problems

Earthquakes hazards are bullshit. At worse you'll have local tremors that are undetectable by 99% of people and cause 0 damage. Kek at hippies saying they effect fault lines.

The flaming water is also bullshit and had been disprove time and again as a hoax. The pipe is thousands of feet bellow the water table and below impermeable bedrock. So no chance of seepage. Any seepage that does occurr in the area is natural and happens before during and well after the the project.

The only true hazards that can occur is if tanker truckers transporting the fracking fluid spills. That's has happened but it's pretty rare and as long as the roads are clear and weather kept an eye on its a non issue and has a much of a chance of happening as any other job sight. That said the fracking fluid generally is 98% sand and water. With the other 2% being various chemicals. So while it's low and not to much of issue unless spilled where it can seep into water, it still needs to be cleaned up which isn't that bad.

t. Engineer

>Earthquakes hazards are bullshit

dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/01/08/Research-ties-Ohio-quakes-to-fracking.html

sorry there friendo, but I've spoken with too many Geologists with PhDs that say it's a real threat. Either post some source to back up your contrarian position, or shut your whore mouth

Here you go.

earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

The over depleting water causes most "earthquakes"

Like I said the "earthquakes" from fracking are localized tremors from collapses of the caverns. There pretty far underground and pretty insignificant. Anyone who says the cause earthquakes by messing with fault lines is pants on head retarted. If that was true than every project that requires deep drilling (ie oil, natural gas, sulfar, etc) would have killed us alread. Here's a hint: most of those also using fracking too and have for decades

>Fact 2: Not all wastewater injection wells induce earthquakes.

>not all

see the issue with your source?

Holy Fuck did you not read my post after the link? I explained all of that. Wtf kind of earthquakes are you imagining?

Oh, I read it.

Anyone against fracking is either some retarded hippie or a saudi shill. USA energy independence soon.

>Geologists Robert Skoumal, Michael Brudzinski and Brian Currie, combed through seismic data and found 77 earthquakes ranging in magnitude from 1.0 to the 3.0
AKA a nonissue.

>say I moved the goal post
>I just restated what I said in my first post

God you're retarted. If you want to read the whole paper on it here you go. Here's Justin Rubinstein the Research Geophysicist and Deputy Chief of the USGS Induced Seismicity Project. The problem is with waste water not fracking. And the "earthquakes" that do occur from fracking are fucking insignificant. The same thing I've now said in 3 post hippie.

profile.usgs.gov/myscience/upload_folder/ci2015Jun1012005755600Induced_EQs_Review.pdf

>This is how people who "believe in science" act they find science isn't subjective to thier world view

It causes autism as referenced by the large amount of posters on this website.

That link says wastewater injection wells are the main cause of increased earthquakes. Guess what they do with all that wastewater used in hydraulic fracturing.

>usgs
>pants on head retarded
You shot down your own argument. USGS regularly fails to report on seismic events. They're like the weather channel of seismology. Whenever any drilling of any type goes on, small seismic events occur. Part of the role of a good geophysicist is to locate not only the most likely place to find oil, it's also to find a way to get to it causing as little damage as possible. The instance of man-made earthquakes happening in the midwest is significant not because of the magnitude, but because they're happening because of the fracking. Look up charts on the increase of seismic events in the midwest over the last decade alone. Imagine you have a stack of plates on top of each other and you go and break one. The first break might not do much, but keep pinging away at that one plate until there's nothing left. Now move on and do that another plate in the stack. Over time you're going to cause some serious issues.
>localized tremors from collapses of the caverns
You even said it yourself. I do agree that people saying it's crushing fault lines are sound pretty stupid and little hysteric.

In fairness with oil prices as low as they are fracking is as viable as before. But that turn around soon enough once oil rebounds

If you knew how seismically UN-active Ohio is usually, you would understand why this is a bad sign. Would you prefer we wait until it hits 8.0 then say "well, maybe this was a bad idea after all".

Just to clarify, I'm not against fracking as a whole, I'm against the lack of oversight and punitive measures taken against the companies that cause ecological issues. It CAN be done right; it's OFTEN done sloppily

Have another source. Not as much info, but feel free to dig into the links

oldcoloradonews.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/the-denver-earthquake-series-of-the-1960s/

I'd prefer we switched to nuclear and put serious research into thorium breeder reactors and fusion.

Renewables are all and well, but you need a secure baseline power source that doesn't fuck the enviroment

> disregard me anyway as I own stock in uranium producers that use fracking to obtain U3O8

There has been no known large earthquake linked to fracking. Fear monger somewhere else.

>8.0 from fracking

As long as local government has control

Aka towns or states can ban and supercede the feds

its a waste of time. fracking doesnt supply the nation with significant amounts of natural gas. they have to tear down rigs and put them up constantly

and whats worse is that its just to hide the nations dependency on russian natural gas. its to create the illusion of energy independence

>Flaming water doesn't exist.

I fucking witnessed that

I expect the ad hominem, but damn, you kids should at least understand hyperbole

whoops, I meant to link
not
bad post, my bad

>pretending to have a valid argument
You are just fear mongering. Fracking is a non-issue.

>muh 1.2 earthquakes!

>It's been disproving every case.

Flaming water was found to be from either a) the water well drilled into a natural gas pocket. So it would have happened regardless of the fracking. b) straight up hoax

I don't doubt you've seen it. But I know it had nothing to do with fracking. Doubtful your case was a hoax but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with fracking.

5 cents has been deposited into your shillary account

youtu.be/LQCU36pkH7c

...and you are attempting to dismiss facts by calling them ridiculous.

argumentum ad lapidem

that's three separate logical fallacies (not counting ad hominem) you've tried to ram through instead of providing evidence. Address the premise or be quiet and let the adults speak.

You know what? Do whatever, I'm going to go make a drink and chill with my gf. The thread is yours. Have a wonderful day.

fracking could kill every single person in south dakota and i would still support it cause 2-3 dollars a gallon is significantly better than 5-10

You have not offered any meaningful facts.

It's better business than selling gourmet french fries.

youtube.com/watch?v=_zsRrYRMSKo

I stand to make quite a bit of money on fracking when it's legalized in my state. The only reason it's even slightly damaging to the environment is because oil is so cheap so there is no drive to look into cleaner methods of extraction. Once the saudis are done spite dumping their reserves there will be more interest in it again.

Gets a bad name because it threatens the supremacy of Saudis and arabs over oil supplies.
There is literally nothing wrong with it if it is done properly and with the necessary precautions and proceedures.