I already saw the animated film, should i read it anyways?

I already saw the animated film, should i read it anyways?

>should i read it anyways?

yeah

Yeah, usually animated films leave out a lot because they have to be 90 minutes long

The film is a disappointment. The comic is way better.

Yes. The animated film leaves out a LOT to squeeze everything into a 75 minute runtime.

It's one of the best comics every written, you should definitely read it.

If you liked the movie, you didnt understand the book.

The writing is the worst part, as a sort of concept art book it's great but it isn't a well written story

I think the Martian Manhunter stuff is all written well same with Rick Flag Sr. I relay didn't care for anything involving Hal or that weird subplot about the guy fighting the KKK that seemed to be put in just to go " Hey look, racism!" and then tease Steel at the end

I think the subplot w/ the KKK was part of pointing out the issues with society at the time. Also, it tied into the Martian Manhunter plot pretty well, because why would J'onn think humans would be cool with him when they can't even get along with other humans?

People always say this but never elaborate and because we're dealing with comic fans here I'm always suspicious it's for some non-reason that boils down to not muh x. Why didn't you like it?

Books way better friend. You missed a lot of the relationships between the heroes.

Great art
Some cool characters and scenes
The ending is kind of lame

Worth reading for the art alone

I'm reading it right now and it's easily one of the best things DC has ever published.

>Worth reading for the art alone
RIP

and tear

>. I relay didn't care for anything involving Hal
but he was the best part

This so fucking hard, the movie IMPROVED on the book in key ways

Not that guy, but I like the comic but acknowledge the writing is weak. It's all surface, there no depth to it, everything is just very blatant even when dealing with heavy issues like racism, 20th century American politics, etc.

That said, mad props to be an actual work of comics, not this bullshit writer/artist split.

Its very poorly written as in it wasnt written. Cooke just freestyled cool shit he liked, character arcs development and the like are short shafted for a stream of conscious concept album of a book.

Like it barely has a plot, its a bunch of pretty but mostly pointless vigbettes.

It was bullshit. He had no arc or even agency, he just plodded along thru the plot, doing nothing until fiat shits him the ring out of nowhere.

The whole pacifism angle set up in the big opener NEVER becomes relevenr.

The film vastly improved it by having him go on the flying cloud because it makes Hal the center of the peace and war themes of the story, gives him an actual arc, gives an in reason purpose for him geting the ring, and is a great climax of the entite Ferris Air storyline that dovetails perfectly into Martian Manhunter and Kings Epihany.

Cooke really should have pulled a ross and gotten a skilled writer to work with his cool concepts

Bullshit? Collaboration like that goes back to the dawn of comic books?
How many great album s and films have been made by creative parynerships?

Not every great artist is a great writer and vice versa? A.work isnt "purer" for being a solo piece.

I think it's just the one guy who says it.

If you listen to the commentary for the movie, you can see all three of them talk about the issues in adapting a book that was almost plotless.

Yeah, it's kind of nuts how with even like 400+ pages of comics he wasn't even able to fully explore everything since the pacing is really fucked, I don't know about getting a writer since he might not have wanted it but it should have been a series of minis instead of just a single one.

Its at least 3.

More if you count the guys who worked on the film.

It is very underwritten

The books wasnt scripted it was drawn as he went along, it is basically freestyle.

And it shows

I feel you, folks told me the book was better so as I read the extra stuff I was really hyped for the Hal fight, then he doesnt even get on the ship and I felt like it cut a key part of the story.

Shocked that wasnt from the original.

Coole boarded that scene for the movie though, so perhaps he thought of a better idea.