Hellraise

I'm currently going through the series and what the fuck happened here. 1 and two are okay, but this one is just a fucking mess. I'm honestly doubting to even go through the straight to vhs ones.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1M4FG1UXH5w
imdb.com/title/tt5476182/
youtube.com/watch?v=FOFFrDPo9Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=0W9jZQetuB0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>10$ entrance fee
>for a concert
>club
>high end restaurant

Also, these two had sex on the first night, right?

Watch blood lines then read about what it was going to be before the studio got involved.

The others are either laughably bad or psychological thrillers turned into a Hellraiser movie. Watch at your own discretion.

I was always a fan of the first two and decided to subject myself to the others last year. It doesn't get any better. I refuse to watch Revelations.

>Revelations

I looked at the first ten secs then walked away. Found footage films are ass and don't belong in the Hellraiser franchise.

Horror franchises were a big thing in the 80s so of course Hellraiser would become one too.

The only one after the first two that is interesting at all is 5. Still pretty amateurish. What happened was they just recycled failed scripts that originally had nothing to do with Hellraiser and shoehorned Pinhead in. Sad fate since the original is a masterpiece. Sad!

The only good one is 1. Hell on Earth is already firmly treading schlock territory, but it is indeed the only worthwhile sequel

that one looks like hot garbage in a pool of boiling shit.

Oops, I meant Hellbound is the worthwhile sequel. Hellraiser II, not III

The thing that pisses me off in general is when a movie has "revelations" but nothing is "revealed" that we don't already know about.

>that one Hellraiser in which the way to counteract the cube is locking Pinhead on a spaceship that's engineered to be an anti-cube device which locks the cenobites

Literally the _____...In Space! meme

Absolutely nothing is added from them being on space. Nothing fun is done with the setting

Bloodlines.

There was apparently another finished version of that movie, starting at the past then working its way to the future. But then the studio decided to mess with it, doing reshoots of the future part and a different edit of sequences without the director's knowledge. He only found out at the premier.

Angelique was the only good thing about that movie

>get dealt with dogshit
>try to clean it up
>your bosses literally spread their ass holes and shit on your clean floor
This shit happened to The Crow 2

>World Star Cenobite
>Walk Man Cenobite
>Bar Tender Cenobite
They remind me of the Xenomorphs, only sillier.

these two are why I can't totally hate hellraiser III

I honestly don't get why people like II so much. The only thing good about it was Leviathan. I prefer V over II, even though it was one of the "How can we turn this random script into Hellraiser" ones.

>le scary monsters torture people wooooow so scary!

If you're not a 5 year old this franchise will have zero appeal for you.

V (Inferno) is the only one worth your time beyond the third.

>watching an escapist media instead of going out and helping your community
Someone get this hothead outta here!

I liked the retarded twin security guards tho.

What is the cenobites deal again? they like inflicting pain for sexual reasons?

Close, they are masochist/sadists who no longer have a clear defined line of pleasure and pain. The configuration is to achieve ultimate pleasure. Unfortunately, it is the cenobite version of pleasure.

So people's thirst for pleasure desensitizes them to normal means so they start delving into darker shit like dominance, bdsm, and cutting. The cenobites are in the extreme where pain becomes the only pleasure and go after anyone who wants to experience their pleasure (pain).
Basically, you want your steak rare but you will get the entire live cow, skinned and pierced.

>used to read goosebumps as a kid
>read one where the monster is an human anatomical body (without skin) that has come to life.
>nightmares
>watch first hellraiser when older
>see my nightmare visualised.

Hellraiser vs Doomguy when?

Why stop there?

DOOMGUY v EVERY FUCKING THING DEMONIC

You've never gone to a show that's only like $10?

>mfw Pinhead was suppose to fight Freddy and Jason in hell in the Freddy vs Jason sequel

Wtf, look at the cast for Hellraiser 8 (havent seen it).

Doug bradley (the original pinhead). Henry Cavill (superman). Lance Henriksen (alien). Maybe that one is worth a watch, lol.

I recently saw one on tv where pinhead was played by another actor and holy hell it was terrible. Oh, just checked. It was Hellraiser 9 (revelations).

Hellworld is pure shit. Better than revelations, but still shit despite the cast.

In the end, there were no cenobites, just Lance's character being a douchebag.

Hellraiser, II, III, IV and V are worth watching as there's at least some good elements to each.

Anything after V is not worth watching.

I tried to meme post that but it didn't work out

3 is a masterpiece compared to the ones that come after

Yes they got progressively worse the more the Americans got their grubby mitts on them.

>watching horror movie sequels

>fucking men

I enjoyed the detective ine and the one with the mick from Oz.

>mfw the only reason the latest Hellraiser even got made was to maintain licensing rights
>Doug Bradley had a scheduling conflict and couldn't even be in it so they hired some other guy to be Pinhead
>it looked like a student film
This is why I despise copyright law. Studios shouldn't be able to have licenses in perpetuity without maintaining a certain level of quality. They are literally holding the license hostage knowing full well Clive Barker is super disappointed in what they are doing to the brand and most the movies are just reworked scripts with Hellraiser elements slapped in to keep the rights from reverting back to Clive.

I used to collect all the Cenobite figures...until CD Head.

>psychological thrillers turned into a Hellraiser movie
This. They're almost all unrelated spec scripts that got turned into Hellraiser films. The 5th genuinely isn't bad, though.

Isn't clive barker producing some reboot right now?

Why does this shit always happen to horror movies?

Name me one horror series from the 80's that still has the same quality it did back then

I can appreciate the vhs sequels on a meta level in that they are like time capsules of the period they were made in, like there's one that's basically Se7en with cenobites, one that's Scream and the like with cenobites, I'm surprised they haven't done a found footage with cenobites yet.

Aw come on. CD is a swell guy.

CD CENOBITE

Someone link the /tg/ thread...

>Doomguy vs. The Warhammer 40k Universe

Shit was HILARIOUS!

Part one was amazing. Part two was the beginning of pandering to the audience, and the rest is more so while being crapper to make more money with each addition.

Hellraiser III I have a soft spot due to Terry Ferrell.

>Terry Ferrell
She's literally the only reason to watch part 3.

>This is why I despise copyright law.
It is not copyright law - it is licence law, and it was in clive barker's rights when he sold his rights to say it was only X number of films or some sort of quality requirement in sales.

Clive Barker took the cash and signed the dotted line. No one forced him to sign it with those exact requirements.

>, I'm surprised they haven't done a found footage with cenobites yet.
Off to sell the idea to the studios

Paula Marshall was cute too.

Well, yes. Perfect goth girls are always sexy.

Yep. To be fair, she is close to perfection for me, so I never had the hate to III that most have. I am too aroused to hate it.

>And yes, when it comes between Farrell and De Boer for which is the best Dax, I say yes.

Bloodlines is actually pretty decent.

Also, I remember years ago I bought a Hellraiser III comic book -- it was the movie put into comic book form -- in a UCSD store.

Once again, the objective Hellraiser power ranking list.

GOD TIER
Hellraiser 1
Hellraiser 2 - Hellbound
Hellraiser 6 - Hellseeker
These three are something of a complete trilogy, telling the story of Kristy and the Cenobites. If you only watch three movies in the series, these should be it.

OKAY TIER
Hellraiser 5 - Inferno
Hellraiser 7 - Deader
Hellraiser 8 - Hellworld
These were originally intended to be other movies but got entered into the Hellraiser genre. They're not BAD movies, they just don't feature the Hellraiser mythos strongly.

SHIT TIER
Hellraiser 3 - Hell on Earth
Hellraiser 4 - Bloodline
Hellraiser 9 - Revelations
The 3rd and 4th movies are what destroyed the franchise and drove them from theater features to D2V releases. They retconned the Cenobites from extradimensional BDSM travelers who were neither good nor evil but exploring the furthest reaches of pleasure and pain to... generic demons bent on world conquest. There was never a good explanation for the tonal shift or lore rape and the franchise to date has never recovered. The 9th was a shameless garbage flick made to retain rights and is only just barely worse than parts 3 and 4. Distinct for being the only one to not have Doug Bradley playing Pinhead.

A lot of people like Hellseeker but I can't stand it. Most of it feels like an Inferno retread.

what's wrong with the third?

That's basically it. Inferno and Hellseeker are the two best of the D2V listings. Hellseeker usually just hedges Inferno out because they got Ashley Laurence to return to the franchise and had some creative input from Clive Barker. As a film, it's not any better than Inferno, it's just the peripherals that push it ahead.

90's fashion was so sexy. Long hair, clean, tightly fitted clean clothing. Wide long camera shots to see their entire bodies/

No quick chop cuts cramped together to be "confusing" - "artistically" to be cheap.

I really do wish the "Saving Private Ryan" war scene shaky cam, quick chops trend had stopped long ago, but here we are nearly 20 years later, and STILL editing software allows filmmakers to jam pack content so tightly that you can't really feel any sense of immersion into the fictional environment.

It's been explained. One of the major flaws is that the Cenobites undergo a major personality transformation. The first two movies are explicit that they're not evil, they're extra-dimensional being exploring pain and pleasure. They also have a bunch of unspoken rules that hint at a greater mythology. Like taking Channard instead of Tiffany since it was his motivation that summoned them. Or the rules that allowed Frank to escape them and assume his brother's identity via his skin.

The third movie throws that out the window and announces that they're literal demons from literal hell. Also, there's no longer ambiguity about what they want. They're evil and they want to destroy or control everything. So Pinhead becomes a mass murderer with the most memetastic cenobites ever put to film.

can't disagree, would love to have at least something other then the "quick takes"

Also, it most likely a false memory, but I swear the version I saw in the 1990s had a longer sequence when Farrell gets put into the bondage.

Dude, you've got to watch it on bluray, there's an edition of it where the video label fucked up so bad that you can see shit that you're not suppoesd to see, like where special effects end in the middle iof the frame, half-finished sets, etc...

it's fucked up, perfect for MST3K episode

>These were originally intended to be other movies but got entered into the Hellraiser genre
wow wtf
how would they be different?
another demon or what?

Anyone else see the Cenobites as very similar to the God Hand from Berserk?

Which edition, I wish to know.

Who knows? Some screenwriter wrote an outline for a horror film, the Hellraiser guys picked it up and had it rewritten enough to fit the mythos. No telling what was added or removed, or even if there was supernatural elements at all originally.

UK BluRay, was in a fancy collector's edition boxset, never got recalled either AFAIK

Thanks, I will have to check it, as I swore that the verison I saw showed the gag being put on Farrell in the BSDM scene. Will see if that one has that.

That and for giggles.

Katharine Winnick (Vikings) too. Pretty good cast as far as DTV flicks go.

There was also a Freddy vs Jason vs Ash from Evil Dead planned.

All I know is it has R-rated and Unrated cuts, like some other countries. What makes this UK bluray special is really just the massive oversight when doing the video transfer. I just checked and it's by Arrow Films and it got released alongside 1 and 2 in a boxset, not sure if there's a single. Happy hunting

No wai!

Binged watched like 5 Hellraiser movies the other day, my favorite one was 3 because the lesbians.
Also, I remember being scared shitless of those movies as kid but when I watched It again got a boner specially with 3.

Is this some well known parallel? I just read berserk for the first time a few months ago and never connected the two.

Which came first and which did better?

It's sad how bad the drop in quality is with the third film. They were trying to be more like Freddy at the time I guess.

The first is such a genuinely great horror film. Despite some amateurish elements it's very strong and one of the best of the 80's horror. It rightfully keeps the cenobites mysterious and uses them sparingly, putting the sadistic human characters as the meat of the story.

Two wasn't as good but it knew it couldn't really outdo the first so it expands things a bit more and has some more fun with it.

Three just takes a massive shit on everything and it wasn't even entertaining schlock for me.

Is Hellraiser III the one with the camera guy Cenobite? That one's so bad it's good.

I knew these movies got worse as they went on, but the last one I watched was Bloodline last year and boy was it shitty.

Remember that time Lemmy beat Pinhead at a game of cards?

youtube.com/watch?v=1M4FG1UXH5w

i hardly remember them except the first one. good practical effects.

I unironically like that movie

I actually prefer the first four to the rest.

The first two felt like boundary pushing, the next two were dumb but gory fun.

The stright to DVD ones felt like wannabe Twillight Zones.

2 > 1 > 4 > 6 > 5 > 3 > ingrown toenail > 7 > stubbing your ingrown toenail > 8 > getting kicked in the balls > 9

anyone here have the slightest hope for Judgement?

Camerahead is dumber but they are all great.

Hellseeker is horribly directed and poorly acted. It looks like someone's home video. The "chaos" guy from the commercials (Kristy's husband) is just awful in it. It feels like a Lifetime movie with some Hellraiser shit slapped in at the last second. Amateur hour all around.

I don't know how anyone could recommend it outside of "the original girl is back!", which does not merit a viewing. That's like recommending H20 because Jamie Lee Curtis came back.

I liked 5, but 6 did the same exact thing, but worse

I recall the artist saying he was influenced by Hellrasier. I do remember he was worried about Army of Darkness because he came up with Gut's hand first.

As for better? Thats pretty subjective.

>Hellraiser without Doug Bradley

Fucking hell, I completely understand how Clive Barker is so pissed at what this has become

Thats a wrap

>AND WE'LL TEAR YOUR SOUL APART

Is this the single best line in horror?

No Doug Bradley, no dice

It's a series that desperately deserves a reboot with Clive involved rather than shitty scripts having Pinhead thrown at them

What about the latest one?
imdb.com/title/tt5476182/

Yeah Arrow Video won't even admit they were in the wrong on that one.

>How you want it cut, pham?

No fucking way, how do they actually justify different actors playing Pinhead? His origin is pretty set in stone and we haven't really seen anyone else with similar wounds to suggest it's a standard in hell

Also, looking at the link, feels more Silent Hill that Hellraiser, though I guess they are similar

That looks more like Texas Chainsaw concept art

youtube.com/watch?v=FOFFrDPo9Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=0W9jZQetuB0

There, now you don't have to be curious about Hellraiser 3, because these there the best scenes.

actually this is the new Pinhead

That's actually not terrible. Better than the last guy at least. Glasses guy looks decent too.