The Legend of Korra

Be honest

When you heard the series was going to star a brown muscle girl, be set in 1920s Hong Kong, and have its main antagonist be voiced by Steve Blum, you thought this show was going to be the best thing ever

Of course I did.

We all did.

Literally everyone on this board did. That was part of the problem.

Sure, but I also thought a movie starring Batman and Superman would be the best thing ever.

God, I remember looking at the art and being so fucking excited.

I still don't get how they managed to fuck that up.

Yeah, it's a fucking great idea,

Just like And many others that makes people wonder how the fuck they manage to fuck it up.

When the giant robot showed up that was the moment this series died for me. It was like a roller coaster of quality. S1 was good. S2 bad. S3 good. S4 was a trainwreck.
>inb4 arguements about each season quality
Its just that robot, fucking christ.

Right about here was when I stopped watching Korra unironically

Oh god i forgot about that. Thats the moment i lost hope. An evil avatar! Cool, maybe hell use all four elements but will be bad at it cuz he didnt train! But no, we get giant spirit fight.

Too few episodes which limited character development and world building thus forcing the plot to be rushed along and on top of that the flaws from the first Avatar were still lingering around and magnified by the shorter season

It was such a simple premise and they fucked it up so bad

>people love relationship drama, right? lets put it in
>People like Katara and Sokka so lets just make the male leads an over exaggerated version of the two
>fuck Asami just animate her standing in the corner, we might need her for something later
>what about a focusing on sports in stead of a plot
>should Korra learn her season long lesson about patience? Nah, fuck that. That sounds boring
>M. Night did ATLA but I was disappointed with the lack of a plot twist
>Hey, remember that deus ex machina people loved at the end of ATLA, lets do another the season finale

>Too few episodes which limited character development and world building

Not an argument

After Man of Steel it's your own fault if you got your hopes up.

Originally I'd say they got dicked around by the network, in that they were only told they were getting an extra season after they had already wrapped up the planning on the current one, which is why the pacing is so disjointed. But wasn't S1 Korra also pretty disappointing on its own?

I got red flags when the title revealed the new main character was going to be a woman.

The concept and design of the character are okay.

Heck, Korra's deisgn is pretty fucking great.

Too bad they think that never listening to anyone and always start punching things is the same thing as personality.

The new main character being a woman was what everybody was hype about though

he has a point though. there's a reason we hardly have female leads other than in ensembles. female leads are hard to write. you walk between the lines of being too safe or not safe enough. tell me the last female Sup Forums female leads that Sup Forums likes? cutesy waifu-baits or well written compelling female characters?

Katara romance aside, Aang could've been drawn as a female and it would've worked.

It'd just have to be exactly the same: No more emotive-ness, no cutesy eyes, no girly giggles, the same 'maybe I'm not right' atittude, the peacefulness of him.

It can work, you just can't make shit aggressively female without taking a stance, which is what alienates people from female leads. It's never not political because they try to make her 'just like the guys' instead of 'just as deep as the guys'

The only example I can think of well written female cartoon characters of the top of my head are Kim Possible and Tina Belcher. Because they let them be feminine AND flawed.

The comic-con trailer for the show was so hype. Then realizing everything from the trailer was in the first episode, and each following episode was more of a letdown. I couldnt watch passed the first season.

It was still pretty good, don't kid yourselves. I wish the avatar universe would come back again.

Starfire and Raven?

Not really, no.
I didn't even give it a watch until season 3.

How? There's nothing to that premise, and even good premises are easy to fuck up.

But I liked Man of Steel a lot, and assumed BvS would have less flaws and Snyder would learn from the mistakes he made on it. But it's overall a worse film.

>No more emotive-ness, no cutesy eyes, no girly giggles
Aang did all that though.

>tfw small, physically weak gf instead of glorious buff delicious brown gf

Yeah, no more than he did it. It wasn't a thing in most episodes.

Sure. Never really watched TT, but I'm sure there are more examples. Those were just the ones I could come up with.

I think writers just become lazy with female MCs because they receive praise just for making them

Same with the Korrasami shit - they didn't have to develop that relationship because the uniqueness of having a lesbian couple on a kids show garnered tons and tons of praise -

EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T FUCKING KISS

It was going to be cool.

and it was

>movie starring Batman and Superman would be the best thing ever.
That project was stillborn from the very idea.

You could see it from how they announced it as "Batman VS Superman" and the people involved

S2 was the only bad part. Korra was good, you all were just way too picky as a result of MUH NOSTALGIA even though AtLA suffered from many of the same problems.

>S2 was the only bad part
That and the S1 and S4 finales.
Man, Bryke can't write a finale for shit. They are amazing at build up though.

>Madoka

just awful

Christ, the fact that you actually lasted this long means you must have the patience of a saint. I quit around season 3 due to it being simultaneously boring and infuriating somehow.

S4 finale was great. Korra finally talks down a villain after three seasons of people screaming about how she just punches everything, and people aren't happy with it? C'mon.

Not like the robot was any more ridiculous than the ZEPPELIN DEATH ARMADA in ATLA.

You're giving them too much credit.
The first season had way too much time dedicated to shipping, pro bending when there was so many more interesting things and characters to focus on, if it felt rushed they only had themselves to blame.

Pro-bending was used exclusively for character development, familia.

The love triangle was awful, no argument there.

>Korra finally talks down a villain after three seasons of people screaming about how she just punches everything
Yes but Kuvira's motivation was so shit it made me sour about the whole thing. Not to mention Korrasami was shit.

Madoka's a great story, but it has virtually no worldbuilding and a tiny cast in comparison to ATLA/Korra.

The zeppelin death armada was something that was foreshadowed two books prior.

Of course I did. This show was like the Hindenburg. The incredibly flaming disaster it became was shocking.

Too much emphasis on the wrong things.
>Too much romance when it shouldn't have been there
Korra's focus and drive should've been centered around bending, training and fighting. She should've been bros with the Bros.
>Too much probending when it should've been in the background.
The Probending was fun to see, but if shouldn't have taken up so much of the plot for so long. It could've been something Korra tried but it should've been less prominent.
>Too much Korra failure.
They made Korra too much of a failure. I get that they were trying to make her Not-Aang, but she should've had more tenacity. She could still be a bone-head and not be a failure. She needed to have a philosophy of "Fall 7 times, Stand up 8." Instead she falls, gets discouraged and gives up and cries and then the problem is fixed for her by someone else or by magic.
>Great villain becomes piss-poor villain.
Amon was probably one of the best villains in cartoons for like 10 episodes, then they ruined it. There was no need for Tarlok and Amon to be two different characters, Tarlok should've been Amon.

the creators tried to do something different, going beyond your confort zone isnt always the best option

But you still finished the show """"""""""""ironically"""""""""""", right?

It's their own fault they wasted time on pointless things when they had fewer episodes. It was their incompetence that forced the plot to be rushed.

>and people aren't happy with it?
Not really no, because it was a very weird conversation that Kuvira certainly shouldn't want to engage in, nvm how nothing they said to eachother felt meaningful for either of them,

>When the giant robot showed up that was the moment this series died for me
So when it was pretty much over?

>originally meant to serve as a mini-series
>added more seasons
It's like they wrote the rest by the seat of their pants and made it up as they went along.

There was no cleverness to the Legend of Korra, no joy to it either

I remember in ATLA they had this recurring stupid but fucking hilarious gag about Toph being blind

No such thing in LOK

>but it has virtually no worldbuilding and a tiny cast in comparison to ATLA/Korra
Wait until the second season.