He's got my axe embedded in his central nervous system!

>he's got my axe embedded in his central nervous system!
Wait what? how did Gimli know what a nervous system was? Did they even know about nerves in medieval times?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.stanford.edu/class/history13/earlysciencelab/body/nervespages/nerves.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ypZLnDaqo1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is this a real quote?

Lord of the Rings actually took place in the Star Wars galaxy, a long time ago and far away.

Yes

yeah it's from the extended edition of Two Towers. After Helms Deep I think

it's set in a fantasy world.

I think human dissection was a thing back then but I doubt someone like Gimli would have done it.

i watched the LOTR trilogy a couple weeks ago and can confirm its real

and i thought the exact same thing as OP when i heard it

Its not set in medieval times.
Did giant evil eyes and talking trees exist in medieval times?

>medieval times

Yes, can you prove otherwise? I thought not

yeah alright fine, dark ages. whatever

Why not, he's a dwarven warrior with a magical axe and cloak commenting how he killed a magically created goblinoid to an immortal elf.

Theories about the nervous system began in the 4th century

web.stanford.edu/class/history13/earlysciencelab/body/nervespages/nerves.html

>In the fourth century B. C., the Greek philosopher Aristotle believed firmly that the nerves were controlled by and originated in the heart because it was, in his interpretation, the first organ of the body and the seat of all motion and sensation. Not surprisingly, he was misled by his confusion between ligaments and nerves in drawing this conclusion. Six centuries later, the Roman physician Galen contradicted him, disparaging those "who know nothing of what is to be seen in dissection." Instead he concluded that the brain was the most important organ of the body, with the nerves emanating from it:

>"I have shown in my book On the Teachings of Hippocrates and Plato that the source of the nerves, of all sensation, and of voluntary motion is the encephalon [the brain] and that the source of the arteries and of the innate heat is the heart."

>Galen saw the spinal cord as an extension of the brain which carried sensation to the limbs. He believed that the nerves controlled the actions of muscles in the limbs, and that the two principal functions of the nervous system, sensation and motion, were governed by two different types of nerves: respectively soft and hard. He further insisted on a curious anatomical feature of the nerves, imagining them to be hollow tubes. Quite logically, he reasoned that this must be so in order for the animal spiritus, the body's principal source of vitality in his system, to circulate throughout the body.

All this is moot because LOTR takes place 6000 years before human history and FOTR in the year 3001, so yeah, 3000 years of recorded history I'd think someone would've figured out the CNS by then

dissected tons of orcs though

yeah but wouldn't all that knowledge have been lost in the dark ages

>yeah but wouldn't all that knowledge have been lost in the dark ages.

No because there was no Dark Ages because it hasn't happened yet.

there's LOTR time line, then our timeline.

Also Gandalf pops in at a local library to research a ring from the Second Age so I imagine there's tons of literature on a lot of other things

No, the arabs learned it too and we got it back from them during the crusades. But since the Pontificate seems to be completely abscent in LotR it probably takes place before the dark ages. "Goddamn dark ages" - Sir Isaac Newton

>i've never paid attention on history classes

Can we honestly stop with the fucking dark ages meme?
There was no loss of information or stagnation of science during the middle ages.

Lord of the Rings isnt historical
its a fantasy

They deleted it, probably because Christopher Tolkien thought it was fucking dumb

>he's got my axe embedded in his central nervous system

youtube.com/watch?v=ypZLnDaqo1M

yes it is true, but they are not in medieval times, they are in the times far far ago in a far far away.

He played a lot of dwarf fortress, he knows how wounds work

>they deleted it

Are you a jackass, jackass?

It was actually lost in the Sino-Finnish Hyperwar

none?

How did Sam know what potatoes are? potatoes come from America and the old world didn't have them

There obviously were texts they lost when Rome fell that they only got back when Constantinople got TURKED, so you're being just as disingenuous as the retards who say everyone forgot everything

>no loss of information
nigger, have you seen how Rome looked at its height?
none in Europe built like that for hundreds of years
the roads they built still stand today

>spot the Catholic

This is middle-earth. Please pinpoint the exact time the "dark ages" occured in middle-earth. Oh wait you can't because none of our religions exist in that universe.

Why was Aragorn's tax system so confusing it could only be explained in song?

>Oh wait you can't because none of our religions exist in that universe
Christianity exists in every universe, fictional or not.

Using swords, axes, shields, trebuchets and living in castles seems pretty medievial to me

The LOTR universe is set in our timeline and we are supposedly living in the fifth age.

Not that user but the reason why Roman style architecture and roads died out wasn't due to a lack of knowledge as to how to construct and maintain them, at least not at first, but instead was more due to the fracturing of the empire leading to a lack of resources.

OK.

underrated

Not really, no.