Why are tonal languages so disgusting?

Why are tonal languages so disgusting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c7P_ZLnh3b4
youtube.com/watch?v=MQasAsvyqfE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_language_is_a_dialect_with_an_army_and_navy
ethnologue.com/about/problem-language-identification
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The rapid changes in pitch are very annoying.

Every Thai guy sounds feminine tbf, makes me feel kinda gay for wanting them

What an awful map. Punjabi, several other Indian languages, and many African languages are tonal.

I think people who speak tonal languages are just trolling the rest of us. Do they actually understand each other just by changing tone?

Punjabi is the worst Prakrit language. It has been so degraded from its ancestral Sanskrit (a language that the white man brought to India) that it has become an agglutinative mess.

t. singapork

perro don't bully my cousin

Khmer is tonal, Cham is not.

Wtf???

Khmer has no tones.

is not japanese tonal

???

We can distinguish some words by tone (like 雨&飴)but not tonal language.

Kinda how English words like "estimate" differ depending on if it's a noun or verb

???
i thought korean and japanese are just an remote offspring of chinese, much like vietnamese

No, they just all got heavily influenced by chinese. Japanese and Korean are not tonal languages per se, but they do use pitch accent, Wu chinese also use pitch accent. Vietnamese on the other hand is totally tonal.

>his """language""" doesn't have tones
brainlet language detected

chinese are smart

but you are stupid

>implying I'm not chinese

Absolutely abhorrent post, no one speaks Cham there anymore except in the highlands and Khmer isn't tonal.

>chinks
>smart

korean, mongolian, japanese are different with other asian languages we no speak disgusting tonal sounds

Every phonetic language has tonal sounds retard, Korean, Mongolian and Japanese are non-tonal because they don't use tones to distinguish individual words.

>hurr we no speak different sound

Pitch accent is not tonal, it exists in European languages too if you want to associate with whatever you precieve as "beautiful"

youtube.com/watch?v=c7P_ZLnh3b4

Eww, cinak lancau babi kazen nko eh. Balik cino bhai

>Khmer
Fucking jesus wtf

Because they all sound chinky and no one except insane chinks can actually differentiate those tones.

kek the one they use for us is a comedy news magazine show, its not airing anymore.

He's reporting about a fetus going up a building using an elevator

alright we all agree tonal languages sound like shit, which is the best among them then

Burmese.

youtube.com/watch?v=MQasAsvyqfE

>googles where burma is
wow, that's a surprisingly big country. this doesn't sound bad at all

>American education

>googles where burma is

SHOULD i know what that is? lol what goes on there

>>googles where burma is
>american education

Burma's been in the news a lot lately because of the Rohingya situation and Aung San Suu Kyi's response. Dumb mutt

don't reply to me chink insect

t. John Rodrigo Herdandez

glebargh

dont reply

not to me

insect

yorblerghl

seething

korean, thai, vietnamese and the different chinese languages sound the same
japanese is different
indian languages sound arabic to me
khmer, laos is ????
filipino sounds very distinct
malay - sounds arabic

But it's Myanmar, not the country of Burma
Been a long time gone country of Burma
Why did country of Burma get the works?
That's nobody's business but the military junta that ran the country until quite recently,

>h-heh your only only making f-fun of my stupidity because you're angry

he's still at it

In general - Europe and India share a massive language group. Don't think a non westerner will think Indian sounds more like Arabic than European languages. Maybe you think so because you are more used to European languages, but Arabic is a semetic language and is quite distant from European languages.

Japanese and Korean are a bit of a mystery. People used to think they were related to Turkic languages, but now thats been discredited and people are not sure.

Mongolian and Korean sound very alike

I think the problem is you can't tell where a word begins and where it ends. A entire sentence in mandarin can be just a long sound, no pauses, no consonant breaks, no left/right heavy indication.

>I think the problem is you can't tell where a word begins and where it ends
But you can though.

korean, mongolian, jurchen(manchurians)are kind of cousins manchurians are mixed with koreans and japs are ancient korean mixed ainu, austronesians

>what is a sprachbaum
Phylogeny isn't the only thing that influences how a language sounds.

>I don't know anything about Mandarin
Dumb horse meat eater

Lao and Thai is basically the same language

t. Lao speaker

Jurchen/Manchurian also sounds interesting. It’s like a mix of Chinese, Korean, Japanese

Can confirm, in addition to this Laos is rightful Thai clay.

I think languages from indochina, are by far, the most disgusting languages in the world.

Even the african clicking shit is better.

Mongolian is best.

I'm not the same guys but:

in the news they refer to "burma" as myanmar, not Burma. Burma is the colonial name.

Burma is also not an important country at all. Nobody give a shit, and it's not necessary to know, you guys acting like it's something important.

>t. based fingolian warrior

In Asia I'd say it's as important as Hungary

I kind of agree. It sounds brutish in a cute way.
At least for the girls.

I am aware they changed their name to Myanmar in the late 1980s, but literally no one I've talked to IRL has ever called it Myanmar. IIRC the name Burma is derived from the dominate ethnic group there, the Banmar.

Burma is still used by numerous foreign agencies to refer to the country, pleb. Many people don't recognise the junta's name of Myanmar as legitimate.

It was renamed Myanmar to include the other ethnic groups there such as the Shan, Kachin, Mon and Chin. But the name is very controversial.

Chinese was not originally a tonal language but it was influenced by SEA languages to the point where it became tonal. Korean also used to be a tonal language. Tones seems to be something easily developed or dropped.

so, largely irrelevent?

Burma and Myanmar have the same etymological origin and nowadays most people, organizations, etc. do call the country Myanmar, and to an extend it makes more sense given that the Burmans only make up about 70% of the country.

>indian languages
>sounding remotely like arabic

Damn, I'd hate to guess who is the kosovo, or albania of asia.

I'm aware. I refer to burma as burma, but the news use the official name, which is myanmar.

Then, you want to give people shit for not knowing the colonial name that is basically unused by the news.

>foreign agencies
And why do you think user will know about those? You are giving people shit for not knowing about some irrelevant ass country that hasn't even made up it's mind on what name to use.

>You are giving people shit for not knowing about some irrelevant ass country that hasn't even made up it's mind on what name to use.
I probably know a lot about your state even if it's irrelevant, people should be given shit even if they know a lot about a place because that's how people become more knowledgeable.

Yes, you know what language is undergone tonogenesis? Khmer, now in colloquial Phnom Penh Khmer, the /r/ in consonant cluster is lost, resulted in a tone.

I didn’t know there was more than one Chinese language

I'm saying they don't. Hindi sounds more like English than Arabic.

"Language" is a political term. That's why Cantonese is not considered a separate language from Mandarin, but Serbian and Croatian are considered separate languages.

In reality Chinese is actually a very big continuum that encompasses a whole bunch of mutually unintelligible dialects.

Yes, which is exactly what the guy was doing. googling burma,seeking info. And you guys acted like it was something he should known by heart.

Also, you can't know everything. most people on Sup Forums know about most of the big to medium countries, but don't know squat about a lot of other nations.

Manchu is quite different from other Tungusic languages in that it has been heavily influenced by Mongolian and Mandarin.

>And you guys acted like it was something he should known by heart.
He should desu, world geography is basic knowledge

Being an Sup Forums poster, one should know pretty basic geography

>...nowadays most people, organizations, etc. do call the country Myanmar
Maybe over there, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case over here.

Maybe he did know, just hadn't heard the second name, burma.

There is 200 something nations. You can't know everything about all of them. Especially not something as specific as alternate names, etc.

I knew capitals and what not in middle school, but I forgot most of them.

Raw memorization is one thing, and actual interest and knowledge on the world is another.

I won't fault someone for not being interested in myanmar. Maybe he knew about burma and just forgot. It happens when you don't care about some irrelevant ass nation.

>Especially not something as specific as alternate names, etc.
Basic knowledge desu, you should at least know all former names and capitals in the last century.
>I forgot most of them.
Pleb

It may be basic to asians, but it's not basic to people in the other side of the world.

If I went to thailand or some random asian nation and made them point in a map, puerto rico or paraguay. They for sure wouldn't fucking know. Even big countries like chile or peru.

lol wtf, Vietnamese was actually a non-tonal language and it was after the massive influence of Chinese that it became tonal, Japanese pitch-accent was also developed because of influence of Chinese, and no, tones are not something that can be either developed or dropped easily, they are just another linguistic feature that can be influenced by a lot of factors, and by the way Chinese developed tones (tonogenesis) when some syllable final consonants were lost, this is something common among languages for example Punjabi (an indo-european language) developed tones from breathy voiced consonants that were lost.

See

>Basic knowledge desu, you should at least know all former names and capitals in the last century.
You are delusional. Just because people don't have your drive for geography, doesn't mean most do or should.

>just because Americans don't have basic knowledge doesn't mean you shouldn't criticise their >education
It's like you're new or something

If you point to an American city above 55,000 residents, or any single incorporated place in the southwestern three states, I can identify it.
More people should be held up to this standard desu, makes life more fun.

just because irrelevant countries like yours have to know about america doesn't mean americans have to know about irrelevant backwaters like burma

>I didn’t know there was more than one Chinese language
***sign***
Look, if you're really interested in sociolinguistic and in how one defines the line between language/dialect/topolect you can read these two articles en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_language_is_a_dialect_with_an_army_and_navy ethnologue.com/about/problem-language-identification

Language relatedness isn't necessarily making them sound similar or the other way around. For example Finnish is not related to IE (or very distantly), but it still sounds somewhat similar like Swedish if you don't speak either, while Hungarian sounds Slavic, so areal features matter more

>me country relevant
>you country no relevant
>me no have to learn anything outside me country
So this is the power of American education... whoa...

I can name all the states of Burma.
I can also name the departments of Paraguay, something that my country has no relation to.
More people should be held up to this standard.

it's true. you can complain about it all you want but that's just reality

He never mentioned Vietnamese? What are you talking about? Chinese did develop tones by interacting with SEA languages.

Are Americans really this >educated so as to think that Singapore is irrelevant?

East Timor?

East Timor is probably Asia's San Marino. Nothing can be more irrelevant.
>Maldives
Small, but very often visited.
>Bahrain
Punches above its weight because of oil.
>Armenia
At least people know about them.
>Tajikistan
Some people actually go there.

>Japanese pitch-accent was also developed because of influence of Chinese
Also I’ve never heard of this and request sauce

>american education

Split it in half, you greedy fuck. Same with Campuchia if you want clay.

name one internationally famous singaporean thing