Code Lyoko

youtube.com/watch?v=2k0lO1x1UCc

A few weeks ago we had a couple of Code Lyoko threads that encouraged me to start watching the series - I'm into Season 2 now and am really enjoying it, so I thought I might try to stimulate some discussion again.

I do like the sci-fi concept (and the plot seems to be getting better now it's no longer confined to being episodic - the Season 2 end credits are hype as fuck for future happenings) but it's the characters that are really making the show for me. They seem more like real teenagers than a lot of cartoon protagonists who are supposed to be around the same age. Their friendships and relationships are by and large treated as real and important, rather than made over the top either for laughs or pathos as a lot of shows would. All in all it seems refreshingly mature for a show about teenagers fighting a malevolent supercomputer in cyberspace.

So, just interested to hear people's general thoughts really. Did you watch it when it was first airing and have you revisited it since, or are you more of a newcomer? Favourite characters and relationships, favourite episodes and plots? Best girl / boy?

youtube.com/watch?v=t7IKtw0z9_Q

Other urls found in this thread:

paroles-musique.com/paroles-Code_Lyoko-Un_Monde_Sans_Danger-lyrics,p18261
youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-X8DkdZhM
youtube.com/watch?v=g0kzVZIU80Y
soundcloud.com/how2bepic/wild-wild-danger
soundcloud.com/dabunky/uptown-lyoko
soundcloud.com/renim_g/a-world-without-tipsy-tooncore
soundcloud.com/projectcarthagesc/code-lyoko-unreleased-music-a
soundcloud.com/rarity-blast/childhoods-ruined
youtube.com/watch?v=FlDs5WoLKR0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Welp. If the thread's not going to be of any other use I'm going to use it to see if OPs can still bump their own threads. I'm guessing no.

Lyoko was quite good at giving the characters progression in their personalities and their relationships, now that I think about it. Then again, most of their relations outside the core group ended up getting erased most of the time...

I've yet to watch this.

Yeah, this was a shame especially where Sissi and Jim were concerned. Some episodes had the gang find some real common ground and understanding with them, but when it all got wiped away it's like they forgot that those characters weren't all bad.

It's a good show and definitely worth a watch even if it is just white noise. There was some good tension because someone almost always dies. it feels like there are real consequences and the characters have good interactions. It has it's problems and DVD/syndication has the episodes out of wack. I haven't seen the revival so who knows about that

Season 1 was forgetable, season 2 and 3 were the best. Season 4 used too many toys.
Every season would be better with less shit middle school humour and without shit characters like Sissi and the sports teacher.
Lyoko Warriors ranking: Yumi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aelita>>>>>>>Jeremy>Ulrich>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wiliam>>>the retard and rat

Oh hey what do you know, they actually can.

I'm conflicted about moving on to the live action stuff after I finish the animated series. I don't think I'll bother - Even if it's good, live action adaptations of cartoon characters are always too weird for me.

It's a shame the show seems to be entirely unobtainable by legal means any more. Someone's made some quite high-quality remux torrents now (but also with fuckhuge file sizes) that are a lot better than the inital DVD rips I downloaded which were jerky and interlaced to shit. You think they could at least put it up for streaming or something though.

Disappointing in the end. I really liked it when it was first airing. Season one was great and the cliffhanger was cool too. I thought they'd do more of it for the next season, but instead they scrapped the idea. In season 2 onward it just seems like every episode is Xana possessing someone. The plot gets repetitive whereas S1 had original ideas. Season 2 was when they started marketing toys, so it was clear that they made it less about the art and more about money.

Question for Frenchfags about the OP lyrics that's been bugging the shit out of me - Does the chorus start "On ira" or "On y va"? And pardon my ignorance but what's the difference?

Bump for OP

"On ira" is a future tense. It means "We will go."

"On y va" is a present tense. It means "Let's go." Sorry if my French isn't up to conjugating the term very well; it seems to roughly be a command literally translated into "there go us" (on = us, y = there, va = go) with a more typical French word ordering. It's a similar sentence structure to "Je m'appelle user" (Je = I, me = me, appelle = call, literally "I call myself user") or for the Dr. Who fans, "Allons-y!" (Allons = to go, as a command "We go!" and y = there).

Note that I'm not a Frenchfag, though, so am hardly an expert there.

Most likely, the term in the song will be "On y va" (Let us go) rather than "On ira" (We will go) based on context.

Thanks for the explanation, I have only a passing knowledge of French (which I would really like to improve). From the time I've spent in France I've heard "on y va" used a lot but not "on ira" and I just can't work out which it's supposed to be in the song. Most sources suggest it's "on ira" but given how useless a lot of lyric transcriptions by non native speakers are I don't exactly trust them, and I'm sure I can hear a fucking v sound in there.

Have some OC.

frenchfag here
It says "on ira".
>On ira, on saura sauver notre existence
I also checked some french sites (because I don't totally trust my ear)
paroles-musique.com/paroles-Code_Lyoko-Un_Monde_Sans_Danger-lyrics,p18261

Season 1 had a few good episodes, the gravity one was pretty intense, as was "Ghost Channel"

More what? Nothing was scrapped. Season 1 clearly indicated that XANA would have to confronted about "infecting" Aelita and that was what the second season did.

The original French and English version are pretty much the same lyrically, with only a few differences. Though compared to the lesser known English adaption, they are more vague about WHAT is being fought where the third version outright mentions XANA.

Fair enough. Thanks for the correction.

Not liking Sissi really should be a criminal offence. Look how happy she is doing her crappy drawing.

That ending always bugged the shit out of me because there was a shit-ton of backstory floating around but it was rarely touched on.

There wasn't that much leftover. The only lingering threads were the whereabouts of Aelita's mom, WHO was beyond her kidnapping (and what they had wanted of Franz in the first place), and explaining things like the "we can't undo death" rule.

The show is good, but there is too much status quo. Only on the last season things change a little.

Also, best girl is sissy, objectively speaking.

those fukkin foreheads tho

They have their uses.

>not wanting a bigger target for the moneyshot.

>sticking your dick in crazy
not even once.

And we all know she would go full yandere.

perverts unite

Been re watching his also. Holds up better well for me but that might be my nostalgia talking. R.I.P Miguzi.

She wasn't crazy, though. Just clingy.

could you just make it foreheads general
/4hg/

>Kids show

>Sissi can just put on a dress and a wig and pass for being Japanese
>Everyone getting mad at Ulrich for using the return to the past to make them 30 million Euros
These last couple of episodes have been a bit weird.

This was a French cartoon? I thought it was an anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-X8DkdZhM

>swimsuit episode and QUALITY VAN
This is more like it. How far are you into your re-watch ?

Just you wait until you get to season 5, shit gets real.

Ulrich looks dead inside and like he really doesn't wants to be there.

The actor's got him down to a T.

up to Cold War

Ah, a little further ahead of me then but not by much. I'm up to the episode with dangerous criminal Peter Duncan, which is hilarious to me because in the UK that's the name of a well know children's TV presenter.

Milly bump before bed.

>RETURN TO THE PAST, NOW!

How fucked are the Lyoko kids when XANA gained access to the Digimon World or XANA when the kids got the it first?

haven't gotten myself to see season 5 yet. Many anons say it meh overall.
Is it on kisscartoon or do I have to rely on a 3 seeders torrent or something?

Why is the new "season" of the show live action? what where they thinking?

probably
>oh shit we've run out of money

That'd be pretty cool to see.

Over time, I didn't like how any legitimate character development Sissy was getting kept getting reset to 0.

I was surprised how often I cared more about Ulrich and Sissy's relationship rather than Ulrich and Yumi

I remember really liking this show as a kid, but every time I get around to rewatching it somebody tries to dissuade me

Shit I don't rember this episode.

It still irks me we never got to see jeremy's form in lyoko, i remember when it happend and they played it for a joke.
>wha..what is it?
>no stop laughing GOD DAMMIT!!
>NOOOOOO!!!

I think the novels they made shortly after the show said something that he looked like Mr. Puck, Aelita's doll.

It doesn't even look that bad, just make it a full body suit to get rid of those leg warmers keep the weird turtle neck with flaps and just shorten that thing around his waist and he looks fine

Got to like how the characters did show some growth. Shame this didn't happen until the final season so the first 3 kind of feel like nothing ever changed beyond the plot.

I dont remember much about william but i remember him being a total dick and constantly getting on ulrics nerves by continuously hitting on yumi, and Xana captured him at one point, does he become a better person by the end?

I like this show because of the characters, honestly. The story was pretty paint by numbers, but the characters are all such lovable little jerks.

Yumi is best though. Why the hell does XANA keep picking on her?

He sort of mellows out, though he only gets like a few instances before getting enslaved a second time and then sort of being put on timeout by the gang. And while he was a dick to Ulrich, he had some positive traits here and there.

Still amazes me how they never censored the scene once in the time it aired on CN.

Had this been an anime, you know that shit wouldn't have stayed intact.

He knows that forehead is not to be trifled with.

why is her forehead the size of a garbage can

It's not like it was just the once either. They really liked showing Sissi in her underwear, or a bath robe, or a towel. Much more than Yumi or any of the other main characters. But then she does have the best body..

French niggers FTW

Android 18, what are you doing in my French animes?

Bump.

It's not like Ulrich wasn't kind of a dick himself, getting jealous and possessive over Yumi when they weren't even an item.

that kind of counts as a lot though. i mean

>that episode where the Gate tries to drag Jeremy in for violating the principle of equivalent exchange by bringing his waifu to life

He only did that after Yumi pulled the "we're broken up/on hiatus" because she realized they were both shitting spaghetti every time they tried to open up to each other. When William first came around, it wasn't entirely wrong of him to be jealous since William was actively gunning for Yumi's sushi rolls.

>That episode where everyone made out with each other thanks to X.A.N.A.

I think it was fine the way it was, we know that XANA is some secret government project Franz Hopper and his wife worked on then tried to escape.

The series is about schoolkids VS haywire AI while trying to live their regular lives, I don't think I'd have liked it very much if they moved on to fight an underground government or whatever.

The continuation looks great. They got real actors. Cgi is still there. I need to binge watch this. Kabillion airs it though. Wish CN could of acquired it. Still Towerprep bombed and I heard good things about it. Disney XD would be the perfect channel. youtube.com/watch?v=g0kzVZIU80Y

I am gonna watch that. Original too. Hulu has them all for free I think? At least seasons 1 and 2. I am gonna buy the show anyway.

That episode was a fuckin trip man.

[eurobeat intensifies]

The shit you could get away with if you could just 'return to the past'.

Too bad season 5 was utter shit, French fag here, the producer was fuckin poor, the animated series was dying so they decided to make a live action serie, problem they film it in like 2 month with low budget (everything was in post prod animation) and the actor was poorly chose AND!! These racist motherfucker made Samantha and Yumi white ( black and Japanese respectively)

does it at least resolve anything?

>not named C-MOON.gif

>naked 10yo girls wrestling their possessed friends in the showers
France, pls.

soundcloud.com/how2bepic/wild-wild-danger
soundcloud.com/dabunky/uptown-lyoko
soundcloud.com/renim_g/a-world-without-tipsy-tooncore
soundcloud.com/projectcarthagesc/code-lyoko-unreleased-music-a
:^)

soundcloud.com/rarity-blast/childhoods-ruined

>not getting the reference

Seriously, nigga?

As far as I know, it ends with a cliffhanger, while season 4 is a closed end.

Well, good to know I guess
I suppose I'll avoid it when I watch

>The Kiss of XANA
>XANA's plan is to cause relationship drama by macking on everyone
>it almost works
What the fuck am I watching? This was easily one of XANA's better plans too.

How the hell did xana pull off that fucking zero gravity episode? I dont even remember how did that shit!

Don't think too much about it, I mean, the computer can literally rewind time.

It did something to the ground, probably fucking with the gravitational pull or whatever bullshit.

The student body of Kadic has a lot of thirsty fuckers. X.A.N.A. should've used this to its advantage more often.

I remember seeing an out of context episode where it looked like yumi ulric and odd had their lyoko outifts but the animation wasnt the regular cgi, like they were in the real world, can anybody tell me what that was all about?

Use the collective Electromagnetic wave from the power lines around the world to halt disrupt the Planet's magnetic field causing it literally stop moving and hold perfectly still long enough for the planet to lose its gravitational force; though if we're going by that logic, the entire world will break apart, atmosphere, crust and all.

In Season 4 they can materialize in the real world with their Lyoko avatars.
They never do it in Kadic though, just when XANA is fucking up shit elsewhere in the world once it's free from Lyoko.

this sums up alot about how i feel for the show i just wish this could get moved to toonami or something so it could get darker
youtube.com/watch?v=FlDs5WoLKR0

The characters having a literal reset button made it seem like nothing ever mattered.