American Gods

>American Gods
>All the Egyptian Gods are black

Explain this shit

Also we haven't gotten any Native American gods

WE

WUZ

AMERICAN GODS

Isn't the buffalo a native American god?

Can you whitebois keep your buzzword Sup Forums replies out of this

Thanks

Idk is it?

brazilian gods when

>>All the Egyptian Gods are black
That's the point, idiot

The Gods take on the belief/appearance/mannerisms/whatever of the people who believe in them.
The "real" ancient Egyptian gods in America have been "corrupted" into "We Wuz" versions

Just like Wednesday is a whole lot different from the Odin Shadow meets in Iceland

We run this, you're the outsider.

You have to be 18 to post here, darling

This is ours. So we're going to do whatever we want to do. Lefties are not loved.

So how does the "regionality" of gods work? At what point does the same god require two different versions for two different places? Is it distance? Language? And if there are so many different Jesii then how come that same effect is not seen on less popular gods, since everyones faith differs to some degree even if they believe in the same thing? Why would things like media and internet and technology and globalism be gods since literally noone thinks of them as gods in any way? The black lady from the first episode should be stronger than them lmao. Also if the affairs of gods are truly dependent on humans then why do even gods bother going around trying to increase their power n shit when their ultimate fate is decided by humans? Let's say some other god kills Media will entertainment industry collapse? No it won't lmao. The only chance any old god has to survive is a literal downfall of human society. The whole concept is pretty dumb tbqh lads.

It's a fantasy show, no?

Yea, dumb desu, you could theoretically make your self a God

None of that shit matters. A group of people believe and sacrifice something valuable, viola, a god appears. Gods then want something from you, and in return they give you something back. Anansi freed the slaves to kill their Dutch Captors but gains a large boost when they kill themselves in his name. So if a slave ship went to Britain and a bunch of slaves believed in Anansi and prayed to him, there'd be a British Anansi. Remember the Sphere? Well this world's the sphere and everything you believe in can possibly exist. It reminds me of a disc world story. Hog father or something.

Egypt is in Africa

The Gods have agency in the world.
If the Old Gods killed Media, then there'd be nothing to stop them from trying to make humans worship them.
They're magical remember? And have powers.

I haven't read the book for a while, but where is Jesus?

Native Gods were in the beginning of episode 5

>ITT: triggered Sup Forumstards

Jesus' bit was cut from the book, but included in the back of the extended edition.
He shows up when Shadow's on the tree, dying, and talks to him about how it's difficult to be everything for everyone. It's ultimately inconsequential.

the native american god was literally brought up in the last episode

It should have been in the regular book.

It makes sense for Jesus to be there but not really care about the squabbling of the dying/growing Gods

It would have made things seem more "real".
You got all these remnant gods and all these fancy hightech gods.
But the big bitch himself isn't mentioned?

I think Gaiman didn't like the way it fit into the book.
And to his credit, it really didn't.
But against his credit, because it wasn't written all that urgently and, like I said, really wasn't important.

I think it was important
Not for the plot, but for the worldbuilding

Like if you set a book in 1942 Germany and on't mention the Nazis in someway, it feels off
The same with having a book about religion set in modern America and not mentioning Christianity
It's at the back of everyone's mind.

I haven't read the extended edition or what not, but having Jesus show up and be like "Shit's hard dude. I feel for you" but then back off and let the minor players squabble would be good.
It at least acknowledges that Christianity is King

>Sup Forums newfag who came here circa 2016 calls someone an outsider

>I think it was important
Oh, no, I agree.
I meant, what he wrote wasn't important, not the topic itself.
Though I suspect he avoided Jesus just to avoid making the whole story about him, which it seemingly should be if we're talking about modern era religion, and those gods it benefits.
>"Shit's hard dude. I feel for you" but then back off and let the minor players squabble would be good.
That's more or less what happens.
And I honestly hadn't read it that way, and now enjoy it a little more.
Thanks, user.

#WOKE

I'll have to pick up the "extended edition" or whatever, for my re-read after/before the show.

I think that Gay Man cut the Jesus stuff because he wanted to get published.
He's a smart man and he's a good writer. He's aware of tropes and the meta-context of things.
He'd know that Jesus should have a position in the story or at least be mentioned.

The fact that Jesus was absent means that Gaiman cut him out deliberately. Which means he thought that he probably didn't think he'd get published.

Then again Pullman got published with his blatantly anti-Christianity books. So maybe Neil was being paranoid

am i supposed to sympathize with the old gods? they all seem like fucking assholes, which makes sense actually.

meanwhile the new gods are based as fuck and completely reasonable, and appear way more powerful and useful.

For now what we are supposed to see is: the new gods just keep people occupied. They don't offer anything but distraction. Whereas the old gods would make people do shit but people would get shit in return.

So it's up to you to decide what you think is more reasonable or just or whatever you want. Old? New? Both? None?

>They don't offer anything but distraction.

so technology, media, and a global economy doesn't give you anything? you're saying the new gods provide nothing?

meanwhile, what did the old gods even give? the first episode Odin made his devout followers torture then slaughter each other for some fucking wind. anansi convinced a bunch of nigs to kill themselves.

within the setting, the old gods definitely got more out of us than we did out of them.

Yeah the passage he wrote was pretty Christian, Christ is busy with being powerful and the guys a pacifist anyhow. But it breaks the flow of that hectic last act. I dunno maybe should have been included with some editing.

yes and no, their are native american gods like whiskey joe, but we won't see them for a while prob 1/2 through s2

They aren't egyptians, they are american.

Jesus fucking christ, it's there in the title, how fucking dense are you

not the way they looked at it, it was an acceptable sacrifice to get back home, either 1/2 of them make it or none of them do

i seem to remember it is implied not all gods are falling for Odin's plan, nor all "new gods" falling for Mr World's either.