Wow this movie is really... boring

wow this movie is really... boring

Other urls found in this thread:

rogerebert.com/scanners/no-country-for-old-men-out-in-all-that-dark
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's No Movie For Young Boys

You are probably a sociopath

It really is. Anyone saying otherwise is a mad redditer.

t. boring person

it's literally 'nothing: the movie'

Fargo, True Grit, Burn After Reading, Inside Llewyn Davis. All of these movies have some substance to them. Plots, character development and study, something.

In ncfom, it's just Tommy Lee Jones, whose name I don't even remember, going 'welp violence is kinda bad I guess and I don't like it.'

Why does Antoin get hit by a car? Who fucking knows

No Country for Plebs

Move along son

I wish you had a trip so I could filter you and your shitty opinions.

literally no arguments, wow; just repeating what reddit and critics think

No Country For Old Men is the Coen brother's best film. Sorry you were too retarded to understand it, despite the fact that it's actually fairly simple.

What part of the post implies that anyone doesn't understand the film? It being boring doesn't mean you don't get it. You're just a retarded parrot who only likes movies that are critically acclaimed because you can't think for yourself.

I shouldn't spoonfeed you but oh well. By the way, "it's boring" isn't a legitimate criticism. It only makes you sound even more retarded.
rogerebert.com/scanners/no-country-for-old-men-out-in-all-that-dark

Why does Chigurh shoot the random bird?
Why does Chigurh get hit by a car?
Why does Chigurh kill his employers?
Why doesn't Llewelyn just leave with his wife in the start of the movie after he escapes?
Why did the gas station clerk not bother calling the police after his encounter?

Is it just a general rule that people who complain about this movie definitely didn't read the book

>We may think we're looking at a sunset at first, but the next few shots show a progression: The sky lightens, the sun rises above the horizon to illuminate a vast Western expanse. No signs of humanity are evident. And then, a distant windmill -- a mythic "Once Upon a Time in the West" kind of windmill. So, mankind figures into the geography after all.
>The law. (Do these images look sterile or "technical" to you?)
>How salty was my beautiful then... Hey, I specifically asked for a regular cheeseburger, hold the ketchup and no "style"! What does the "craft" (not Kraft) taste like? Isn't the "technique" also part of the texture?
>"Chinatown" is also a period American detective noir and "Caché" is a modern French intellectual puzzle and "No Country for Old Men" is a contemporary Texas Western chase movie, but they're all inquiries into the nature of knowledge and existence. They all ask: "What do we know and how do we know it?" Is there a more worthy or essential question?
>Boots on the ground. Many shots of feet, from overhead or boot-level. You can't quite tell where they're going or what may intersect their path.
holy shit the amount of reaching in this article is insane

yes because to enjoy a movie, you should do something other than watch the movie

In no way did I imply in that post that it was a requirement to read the book before enjoying the movie.

Op BTFO

Millennial child detected

>Why does Chigurh shoot the random bird?
What random bird?
>Why does Chigurh get hit by a car?
Because he crossed the street without looking.
>Why does Chigurh kill his employers?
Because they hired Wells to kill Chigurh
>Why doesn't Llewelyn just leave with his wife in the start of the movie after he escapes?
He sent his wife to stay with her mother while he hid out. Seems like a reasonable plan
>Why did the gas station clerk not bother calling the police after his encounter?
Because he didn't do anything illegal

I agree op I played Candy Crush almost the whole way through. Boring movie and what was it even about anyway?

I thought it was boring when I first watched it, and I just happened to rewatch it last weekend.

It's really slow, but that's not really the worst thing you could say about it. The lack of compelling dialogue between the main characters hurts what's essentially a character piece. Sure, Tommy Lee Jones goes on his tangents about the world being scary, but an old man griping about the changing times doesn't make compelling cinema. There are some good thrilling moments in it, but you don't really learn enough about Josh Brolin's character to give a shit what happens to him. Woody Harrelson's character is a throwaway. Javier Bardem is a psychotic enigma that's entertaining to watch, but essentially pointless (because the point of him is that he's just the walking embodiment of mindless violence).

All of this is exacerbated by the, IMO, always boring desert setting that usually needs some pizzazz to make it visually interesting. It's not a bad movie, but it's not this great "pleb-filter" movie that people try to make it out to be. It's far from the best Coen Brothers movie.

>what random bird?
KILL YOURSELF!

i was young when this movie came out and i liked it then

It's the most worthy Best Picture winner since Gladiator

>The lack of compelling dialogue between the main characters
Imagine being this wrong. The scene between Ed Tom and Ellis is one of the best in modern cinema.

chigurth killed his employers because they hired the mexicans AND him to find the money, which he took personal offense to. he literally says this in the scene where he kills him

>one scene

What other compelling dialogue-filled scenes occurred, user?

Sure sounds like you were just sleeping through all of Chigurh's dialogue, which while not as arcane as it was in the books, was all pretty good.

the dialogue between
>TLJ and the old man about his dream
>Sugar and Woody
>Sugar and the gas station attendant
i could go on. there was a lot going on. Coen cucks know how to make movies

>and the old man
this is how boring this movie is, even as a fan you can't remember the name

Well, the final scene is fantastic too. Pretty much every scene with either Chigurh or Ed Tom is great. I'm not going to spoonfeed you a list of scenes, if that's what you're expecting. The writing in the movie overall is pretty god tier.

I do think this is a great movie but honestly, it's definitely not even close to being my favorite Coen brothers movie. It was like a high 8/10.

Because he's in a single five minute scene and his name is only mumbled once by Ed Tom.

i saw the movie once

>one of the greatest scenes in the movie guys
>dialogue including a no name character that only exists for one scene
TRULY THE GOAT

I said
>dialogue between the main characters

Sugar had at most one short convo with each of the main chars but Ed Tom. I'm not expecting several scenes shoehorned into the plot where everyone's sitting in someone's living room sipping on sarsaparilla waxing philosophical about the movie's themes. It's that most of the characterization was silent and the way it was executed didn't compel me toward the characters as much as I could've been otherwise.

With Brolin, we get him silently hunting, finding the stash, going home, sitting in front of his TV, and going on the run without saying much. I think his longest bit of dialogue with someone who wasn't his wife was with pool lady.

I can understand why others enjoyed it as much as they did, but personally I didn't find it too compelling. It was good, had a lot of great moments, but ultimately it's not my cup of tea.

No Country for Old Men is a testament to the fact that great writing alone can't make up for a lack of an engaging plot or well-developed characters

>>dialogue including a no name character that only exists for one scene
Please explain why this disqualifies it from being the best scene in the movie. Also the character has a name, you fucking retard.

well it's time to sage this thread this guy is a fucking retard

>no arguments
>w-well guess im leaving

I worked at a movie theater and got a free baseball hat with the name of the movie on it.
It got dusty and was cheap so I put it in the garbage.

I keep going on about the lack of dialogue between main characters being my problem with it, but I think this is more of what I was feeling.

This post is basically the movie.

You fundamentally misunderstand the function of the characters in the narrative if you keep trying to pick apart the "main characters." They interact with each other through nonverbal means and you need to pick up on this throughout the movie. Alternatively read the book and you can enjoy it on a different level while already understanding the main goal of the story.
Also, if you have already selected several characters as the "main" character, why would Chigurh not count as one of them?

The movie isn't a character piece, Llewellyn isn't as important as Ed Tom or Chigurh, and neither Ed Tom or Chigurh need to interact at any point for the film to succeed in its impact thematically. In fact, it works better if they don't, because to Ed Tom, Chigurh is the embodiment of an evil and nihil beyond his ability to understand or combat.

>Let's add a "deep" and "emotional" monologue at the end of all our movies to send a message

reminder that this movie is a masterpiece and you do not have a leg to stand on by saying otherwise

>the entire point of the movie went over my head and I didn't understand the one scene that pretty much sums it all up
This

What was Alec Baldwin's character's name in glengarry glen ross?
Answer quick. No google.

I never said Chigurh wasn't a main character. Hell, he's practically THE main character next to Ed Tom since we almost start and end with his antics.

To someone who hasn't read the book and is taking the movie at face value, we get a series of scenes with him either having tense chit chat with nobodies (where they could or could not be murdered) while chasing down a case of money then murdering Brolin's wife because he's a psycho. He's juxtaposed with a lot of boring scenes of an old man complaining about the changing times. Mixed in is a hothead running around with the satchel and making bad decisions and ultimately ending up getting got by Mexican gangsters.

There's just not a whole lot going on. Yeah, I'm not going to discount that there's deeper shit between the lines, that the little dialogue we get is poignant and relevant to the themes, that it's filled with thrilling moments--and as someone who got a chunk of flesh gouged out of his arm, I would say the best gouge gore I've seen in a movie--but it's not a particularly enjoyable movie to watch, for me. I don't think a movie has to be slow or lack a compelling narrative in order to be deep and meaningful. This movie is like eating a steak with no seasoning on it.

blake

Now *that* movie is a fucking masterpiece.

You're supposed to pay attention to what the characters are saying in those scenes, user.

chigurth isnt a character, he's a force of nature

I understood it, I just didn't give a shit.

>protgaonist killed off screen
>"damn that was fucking shit and anti-climactic"
>"YOU JUST DONT GET IT!"

That's on you. Don't blame the movie for your short attention span.

>Llewellyn
>Protagonist
In this case you actually, genuinely didn't get it.

>doesn't enjoy the movie
>must be a short attention span

Nice reach, you should play basketball

>It wasn't compelling
>It was slow
Again, don't blame the movie for your short attention span.

knew that was coming. Yes in all senses of the word, he was the "hero" of the story. He is the guy you're rooting for while being chased by the sociopath. I knew the "lmao you thought he was the hero" was coming. Who was the hero? and I mean the character you root for, identify with, want to see get away, want to see live. And if you reply there is no character like that then its a shit nihilistic movie about shit people who die and who cares life goes. Garbage nihilism. Most people wanted llewellyn to get away.

ed tom was the protagonist but couldnt beat the bad guy becuase the movie is about how time changes, not about stealing money from mexicans

B-b-but user, you just can't understand it's majesty

Agreed. It's no raunchy summer flick

well he was a sidelines hero

whatever you want to call llewellyn, killing him off screen was shit and I can't understand defending it.

>Who was the hero? and I mean the character you root for, identify with, want to see get away, want to see live.
So this is what capeshit does to people?

protagonist =/= guy you root for. in many cases they are the same person, but they aren't the same thing. llewelyn if you actually think about it had no influence on the plot whatsoever. he was completely superfluous to the story, even though the movie made it seem like it was HIS story. that's what's so fucking good about it

>The guy we're rooting to win is just some fucking guy and he dies and joke is he's not even the main guy, ha

B R A V O
R
A
V
O

user, let's take a little quiz: what did you think this movie was about?

>this thread
NCFOM really is a fantastic pleb filter

Fuck you I'm watching this right now for the first time. And it's unsettling.

no matter what I say you'll say lmao you didn't get it

but what from what I can gather, its about the fact that sometimes the bad guy wins, sometimes the sheriff doesn't ride of into the sunset, the world can be a cruel and unforgiving place full of random chance and things that can really draw you into a nihilistic point of view, in other words, its no country for old men™

It's learning

youre not far off the mark, but you also missed the crucial part about the sheriff being stuck in an age where good vs. evil was well defined, and as he gets older he is seeing the world becoming full of things/crime he doesn't understand/can't explain (Anton). But you've basically got it, especially the nihilistic part.

Now, what do you think Llewelyn has to do with any of that? What does he do related to what the movie is about that you think makes him central to the action/thematic conflict of the film?

there was no plot

The pretensions of these frogposters

>highschool-tier literary analysis is pretentious
How dumb do you have to be to think this?

This is one of my favorite films and I never read the book. What u gonna do abot it fagot

He wasn't talking about you

It's realistic action movie

yup

I know

If you cannot see the connection between the "tense chit chat" and the "boring scenes" then you did not get the main message of the movie and that's what I'm trying to get across here. You keep referencing "the themes" without identifying them and that makes me suspicious that the bigger picture is eluding you.
Not all movies have a hero and a villain, some have a cast of characters with intersecting goals that interact in varied ways, especially in ways that don't require them to be on the scene together or speaking together.
That's completely okay. Like I said I never implied one has to read the book to enjoy the movie or get a lot out of it.
Missing additional one key point about the conclusion to Bell's arc

read the rules. no women allowed on Sup Forums

what key point about Bell user?

This is debatable but it can be said that the world itself is not actually changing as Bell and the other people on the force claim, and that he himself is simply getting too old and tired to keep up with it all. The sections regarding him reading the paper and marveling at the violence occurring are contrasted (at least in the book) with conversations that turn him off from even reading the paper at all anymore. He seems to admit this to himself and come to terms after he retires. Hence the "No Country For Old Men" simply representing the march of time in any country rather than America being an especially fast or violent country by itself.

>didn't get the movie
>shitposts about it "NOOO YOU MUST NOT LIKE IT EITHER"
>non-arguments left, right and center
>challenges people that enjoyed it to waste their time trying to explain something to them that they're only interested in discarding in the first place

grow up first and then come back. it will probably be one of your favorites one day.

>le 2deep4u meme

No. Sometimes movies as just as shallow and reddit as they appear.

interesting claim, i always assumed it was a little of both; the world (not just the US) getting more violent concurring with him getting older, so any new violent thing he sees he has trouble understanding it, partially because it's alien to him, and partially because he can't let go of how things were when he was young and move into the new age when he's old.

But i can see how you would be partially right too, since the sheriff even says at some point either his father or his uncle were murdered pretty cruelly on his front porch by a gang of thugs, which seems pretty comparable to what's going on in this movie.

on the other hand they make a pretty good point in the movie of showing that chigurth is just not like other criminals at all, he's something totally new and alien and even people that know him are unsettled and terrified by him, meaning he could be the "new" thing the sheriff just can't understand.

>an old man griping about the changing times
Almost like it's no country for him?

>this movie
>slow
holy shit what the fuck am i reading

>lack of compelling dialogue between the main characters hurts what's essentially a character piece
>you don't really learn enough about Josh Brolin's character to give a shit what happens to him
>Javier Bardem is a psychotic enigma that's entertaining to watch, but essentially pointless (because the point of him is that he's just the walking embodiment of mindless violence).
oh i get it, you completely missed the point

Some notes on Chigurh, because you are incorrect.

Chigurh is very weird; he's acts almost as if he were pure evil and seems to follow an almost alien code of ethics. But he does follow it, maybe because of his fascination for rules (and breaking the rules of society). He almost has this survival of the fittest philosophy where he goes around testing those around him, and enjoys listening to them flounder in their last minutes of life, a luxury he is clearly aware that only he and a few other people experience. Within the scope of the story he's an insurmountable object of terror to Bell and the others on the force that represents the reality of the violence that they could face around every corner. In the book there is a very telling section where Bell talks about how being an officer in rural Southern USA is so powerful because there is so little keeping you in check. But on the other hand, you face so little violence from rural communities that you usually have very little to fear. Chigurh brings fear and violence to the people who are prepared for it the least, but believe it or not, he's not actually to blame. Chigurh follows the money that follows the drugs that follows those who use them. Without Chigurh, violence would be passed off simply as Mexican drug warring, but as soon as he enters the picture, Bell starts to really understand what is going on around him.

Whoops, I meant to reply to

the purpose of all choen bros films is entertainment, oh brother where out there is an homage to sulivan's travels, the philosophy is that trying to solve the world's problems through 'meaningful art' is foolish and what people actually need is escape and something to think about in a more nuanced sense.

Rather than do michael bay shit to appeal to the masses by giving them what they want, they build the opposite picture of showcasing interesting, intellectual, nuanced, light existentialism but ultimately pure entertainment with no other purpose.

Only a few movies do that. Compare to Kaufman who tries to make 'meaningful art' but admits within that art that such a purpose is hollow and self serving (post modern). Or Donny Darko that think's it's deep and it is interesting but it's actual value is the pure entertainment.

Its a glorified Dog the Bounty Hunter episode: the movie

Fuck you.

That's his name.

>Why does Antoin get hit by a car? Who fucking knows

This is a great and honest review.

I give it a bit more credit than you, but this is very spot-on. Definitely not as good as their some of their other stuff which is very strong.

gay

It's a must watch for people that like Western scenery.

On top of that there's a lot to chew on, Bardem is absolutely gripping. It's like following the grim reaper, pure destruction baby.