Namor back to Marvel

Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada has now indicated that Marvel Studios has the rights back for its first mutant, Namor The Sub-Mariner -- a character whose film/TV rights Kevin Feige previously called "complicated."

comicbookresources.com/article/joe-quesada-says-marvel-studios-has-the-rights-to-namor

Invaders when?

Memento mori

Say what you will about all the marvel women going down to an A cup, and getting ugly "practical" costumes.

That beautiful bastard losing his speedo was the greatest tragedy to befall the marvel universe when the monsters took over.

Illumanti when? Fuck yeah, this awesome news. Maybe Vin Diesel will still play him!

wanna bet how fast they return him to life now with his right back?

Would anyone have a problem with Namor being retconned to be around during WW2 in the MCU like in the comics?

>betting on dead characters returning
In other breaking news, science discovers water to be wet.

who would replace Charles?
most probably a woman
most probably Carol

I didnt even knew he was dead.

How did it happen?

How will he react to HYDRA Cap

Hank Pym and Banner replace Reed and Xavier.

it's already been happening. and Robinson said the plan was never for him to stay dead for what that is worth

Superman decapitated him.

Damn, Hyperion?

Well, they are getting rid of the mutants so they may as well kill the first one as well...

I never really liked Bruce and Pym being there though. To me the Illumanti represents the leaders/figure heads of the various parts of Marvel.

Black Panther made sense because he was a leader of nation. Stark is sort of the defacto leader of the Avengers. Namor is the leader of the Atlantians. Xavier is the leader of the Mutants. Black Bolt is the leader of the Inhumans. Strange is the leading authority of magic.

Banner is what? Pym is what? They're great characters but don't fit the theme. Steve didn't either with Stark already being for the Avengers.

THE ROCK AS NAMOR WHEN

I'd argue Steve being the leader of the avengers and tony being the leading innovator of tech.

Who would Sup Forums want to play him?

Momoa after edgequaman bombs

Illuminatus

>nigga thinks a means small and d means big

fuck, and I really wanted Universal to make a new Waterworld movie

>2016
>MCU team with no wimmin
It's not gonna happen, user. They're gonna put someone who makes sense there, so it's either Carol or Maria Hill.

There aren't really enough characters in the MCU to have an Illuminati

Kek not even the comics have a female supergenious to fit in there

At this Phase you're right. But Post Infinity Gaunstlet it would make sense.

Just Make it Medusa instead of Black Bolt.

He's already confirmed to be returning in Squadron Supreme's Civil War II tie-in. So... next month.

BP is a leader of a nation, that's all
like wtf Obama could be illumaniti if that's the only requisite
Pym makes way more sense

his twin brother

Wait, why when dis nigga is a mutant?

>Quesada replied, "I can't speak for studios...As far as I know, yeah we do. It’s not at Fox, it’s not at Sony...Yeah."
Yeah because it's at Universal. This is blatant clickbait. This is just him going "wait, I thought we did own Namor?" because, guess what, Quesada isn't one of the Marvel studios lawyers.

Same reason Marvel has Squirrel Girl despite her being a mutant.

Because the rights packages isn't "Fox owns everyone that's a mutant." It's "Fox owns everyone that's an X-men character" and Namor is his own franchise considering he predates the X-men by over 20 years.

The Namor rights were at Universal. Last we heard, they reverted to Marvel but Marvel still couldn't use him because he was also wrapped up in the Waterworld rights which is what made things "complicated."

Waterworld?

Wait, Waterworld started off as a Namor movie? Seriously?

Leader of a nation and also one of their superhero buddies

everyone else is the smartest guy in their respective fields
Wakanda doesn't have democracy or participate in globalized capitalism
BP is a retarded

It's a little more complicated than that. Kevin Costner's character was Sub-Mariner, then they realised that the sub-mariner was trademarked under Namor, so they bought the Namor rights so they could use the name, although later just going with "The Mariner."

So it's more like they were going to make Waterworld, halfway through realised it could be a Namor movie, and then ended up getting rid of anything Namor related anyways.

We don't know the specifics since no one outside of a handful of lawyers have seen the actual contracts, but it's apparently a total clusterfuck. Especially since it was more than just movie rights, as it included video games.

Hank Pym
Tony Stark
T'challa
Stephen Strange
Black Bolt

How are Namor and Black Bolt any different from BP?

But none of them are really viewed as leaders (besides maybe Tony and maaaaybe Pym) in the way the Illuminati characters are in the comics.

T'Challa and Black Bolt are literally kings. How are they not leaders?

They doesn't say anything about distribution rights. Universal still has first dibs on distributing Hulk and Namor solo films.

Fox probably still has first dibs on distribution of a solo Daredevil film. They or Highlight Communications a probably also have first dibs on distributing an only Fantastic Four or X-Men film if they let the rights lapse.

inb4 Namor is an inhuman

The Rock
He clearly has experience in playing an arrogant bad guy and looks the part

ruler of entire species, not just tiny country
not human at all

That's still both of them.

I don't believe this, mainly because Joe Quesada is not part of Marvel Studios.

Dwayne the Johnson. He is used to wearing a speedo

>a character whose film/TV rights Kevin Feige previously called "complicated."
Well someone better fucking explain it one of these days because that shit was a point of contestion when my brother and I were playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance and I had to actually try to explain why he couldn't actually play Namor despite being in Atlantis.

You're late user

If Marvel wants a white guy, Joe Manganiello. If Marvel wants an Asian guy, Ian Anthony Dale.

inb4 Now he's gonna be the "First Inhuman".

>muhcomics
And Civil War was just 12 guys beating each other on a german airport

Stop this, the MCU is not a carbon copy of 616

>Pym
>agreeing to work with a stark
>EVER

finally an X-Men will be in a Marvel Movie!

Did you read the actual article? He basically said "No comment." and "It's not with Fox or Sony." The fact that we already know the rights issue is because of Universal means that, yeah, it's not with Fox or Sony. He doesn't explicitly say that Marvel actually has Namor back in its entirety.

This is just clickbait.

Universal bought the film, tv, cartoon, and video game rights for Namor, so Marvel can't use Namor in any of their games. Its been confirmed by multiple game devs that they straight up can't use Namor.

Wakanda has the strongest economy on the planet wtf are you smoking?

>We're never going to see a Namor movie because of legal bullshit for a movie everyone totally forgot about.

I want off this universe. There needs to be some kind of "Just fuck it" law where the original creators of the IP can go to court and demand the full rights back because the current owner isn't doing anything with them.

Illuminatus

lol how? they still live in basically fucking tribes
they have no resources besides the one that they refuse to sell

Calm your tits. It probably just means he can't have his own movie without Disney giving money to universal, just like Hulk.

He'll still be able to be in supporting roles.

That's what I went for, but later on I heard someone at Marvel says there's a possibility Universal didn't even actually have as much leverage over Namor use as assumed and no one knew because no one looked into it.

Hence Feige's "it's complicated."

Fucking Waterworld, man. The shitshow that just keeps on shitting.

Great news if true.
Namor is such a great character, he's the oerfect power level for movies as well.
Too bad there was no set up in First Avenger.

>I mean I guess we do?

Joe did not confirm shit.

Don't take it away from us, man.

No, they've always had the rights to Namor, they don't have distribution rights. Universal does. Just like they still do for Hulk.

They do for games at least. They got a huge slap on the wrist because Namor was playable in the GBA version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

>Namor in MCU
All I need now is Moon Knight and Wonder Man and i'll be happy for all time.

Wonder Man is confirmed for GotG2 and Moon Knight I think is getting a series.

>BP v Namor might actually be shown on film
my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

I really want Wonder Man in GotG2 for more than a cameo. I hope he is, I even think Nathan Fillion would be a good Wonder Man.

Fuck the Invaders
I want the Defenders, as in Dr. Strange, Hulk and Namor

>for more than a cameo
I think he'll have more than that. It's Stallone who'll be there for a cameo.

Little Mermaid crossover imminent

Fuck I've never heard of this Ian guy but shit he looks the part and definitely looks like he has the snark to carry it.

He certainly has the brows for it.

DOES THIS MEAN THE VIDEOGAME, MERCHANDISING AND CARTOON RIGHTS ARE BACK TOO?
Will we finally get Namor merch? Will Namor become playable in Future Fight, MAA and Marvel Heroes?

Sam Witwer
No contest.
He's also really good at lashing out in fury.

Mark my words, Namor will be the future bad guy invading earth with a Atlantean Army after Avengers defeat Thanos in the Infinity War movies.

Daniel Henney or Ian Anthony Dale.

some user posted this on the other thread.
Has Aquaman ever done something similar on purpose?

Pym has more experience in the MCU than any of the active heroes.

He'd probably be good.

You've ever seen that map of the Flashpoint-verse where most of Europe is missing? That was Aquaman.
He doesn't do it most of the time because he's not a bad guy.

yeah yeah I know flashpoint but it's almost like a separate universe
I meant normal continuity though

I posted it.
going on with it.

>The sub-mariner has apparently launched a military attack on all of civilization

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

>Namor back at Marvel

Sweet now all we need is the Fantastic Four rights back and we can get a Golden Age Trio movie.

God, Namor's fight with Human Torch 1.0/Jim Hammond has to be my absolute favorite part of "Marvels"

>Namor cucking Reed

I don't understand why the movie rights being at Universal somehow prevented Namor from being in any media or merch since 2006.
They used Attuma in an Avengers cartoon, but no Namor. And in MAA they actually removed a reference to Namor.

It didn't. That user doesn't know what he's talking about. It's only film rights that have been tied up. Marvel/Disney just don't want to use characters for non-movie projects since everything now advertises the movies. As long as a different studio has their properties, they'd rather ignore those characters

They already teased Namor showing the location of Atlantis in a screen of AoU, didn't they?

That doesn't explain it. The X-Men and FF and their characters have shown up in several merch, cartoons and games. Even in recent times they will sometimes slip into things.
Namor on the other hand has been NOWHERE at all since 2006, and I believe a Marvel Heroes exec confirmed that there was an absolute veto by Marvel to not use him anywhere.

i kinda hate that they went with scott lang for the role of ant man
>tfw you will never see hank pym's ( one of the most interesting and first avengers ) story in a movie.

i'd like to see a movie of pym and janet becoming heroes, but i not only will that never happen, but their story is reliant on the first avengers stories so they would probably botch it up