Can Sup Forums redpill me on this character? Why is she hated and does she have ANY good comics?

Can Sup Forums redpill me on this character? Why is she hated and does she have ANY good comics?

She has several decent comics, but nothing particularly great.

Sup Forums hates her because for the past few years not counting the post Secret Wars her writer absolutely fucking sucked as hard as its possible.

>>redpill

Fuck off. We don't need the cancerous excretions of That Board on Sup Forums.

Redpill means to inform one of a truth held by a minority of people. What you are asking for is just general information or a consensus.

Hi Tumblr.

In addition to this, Marvel has been shilling her like crazy in an attempt to create a Wonder Woman that they have film rights to.

>Sup Forums is made up of users from around Sup Forums, including Sup Forums
>no one has ever joined Sup Forums for Sup Forums except for tumblr trying to raid it
>yet Sup Forums is the one infiltrating Sup Forums
Does it hurt being this new?

you can not escape Sup Forums for it is right
Sup Forums is always right

Yes, it is alt right isn't it?

I thought it was fun when she went off to work on a space station and then just has diplomats arrested because fuck aliens.

>That Board
Sup Forums isn't fucking Voldemort, you faggot.

Why is Sup Forums so easily triggered? If it really jostles your johnnies so badly just ignore it/hide it.

Writers screwed her, she is a genocidal dike.

>Why is she hated

KSD is the worst writer ever.

>does she have ANY good comics?

No.

>Fuck off

Why are sjws so obsessed with this term?

>>>/tumblr/
>>>/reddit/

And stay there.

she's a violent alcoholic who has a lot of memory problems stemmed from these characteristics. may or may not be the father of her best friend's son.

>does not remember when Sup Forums was love
>does not remember when Sup Forums wasn't NEET memesters.

You will always be a newfag.

You don't belong here.

Redpill isn't exclusive to Sup Forums and you're really fucking retarded for getting trigger over it.

you need to find another board

Honestly you can pretty much regard everything before KSD as a different character. Like tomorrow of Marvel did a big "This was Carol from a different universe all along" Retcon it would not be a surprise, and nay in fact fix a lot of problems.

She's not terribly interesting, but marvel is oh-so-determined to make people interested in her.

Maybe the MCU will actually make her good.

I mean they did it with Civil War

Honestly, I think it's hilarious, since the Warchowski sisters have outright said it was an allegory for whether to come out as trans or ignore the truth of how they felt. It makes every time someone uses the phrase a laugh riot.

Mostly this OP. Carol used to have a decent personality and was openly considered to be incredibly sexy by Tony, Eric O'Grady, etc. But when she was chosen to be a "feminist icon" she had to lose all those traits.

In order to have a character representing everyone/or every female, they can't have any depth or real personality because having any unique edges would "alienate" her from being an icon. Carol's current personality consists of being strong, being a woman, and being brave. If she had anything more than that like vices or non bland opinions she wouldn't fit what a lot of women/Feminists want in a Feminist Hero.

Most of the folks around here hate her because she's not a character anymore, she's an agenda. If you want any good stories of Carol, you'll need to go back to her Ms. Marvel days. The older stuff isn't brilliant but it's decent. Hope that clears it up for ya.

Boy, this. I liked Carol when she was kind of a C-list fuck up, but out of the blue they started pushing her as MARVEL'S GREATEST SUPERHEROINE when she wasn't even anyone's favorite female Captain Marvel.

Wow what a clunky obtuse metaphor.
But then again that's the Matrix.

>I mean they did it with Civil War

They did what with Civil War

because it wasn't interesting.

I remember when it was called /n/. For the life of me, I don't know why moot let those faggots have a third board.

>We will never get a marvel version of ds9/Babylon 5

God fucking dammit

Carol Danvers best showing was in the 90s X-Men cartoon, a C-list super-heroine turned into a vegetal by a Southern Belle mutant.

Kind of a shame that her most memorable stories are getting her powers stolen by a more popular character and giving birth to her rapist.

So do they just pretend all that never happened or what? It's so mystifying how she went from "that lady who got drunk and tore a wing off a plane" to "lives in the Statue of Liberty, little girls everywhere look up to her, first lady of Marvel whoo Carol Corps"

They pretend it didn't happen.
To be fair they were pretending the rape thing didn't happen LONG before she got Cap'd.

Hail Sup Forums for it's the greatest board on 4 Chan.
Elite guard of the God emperor Trump , keepers of the legendary redpill, masters of the meme magic and the terror of Tumblr
Deus Vult!

I honestly highly doubt that. There is literally nothing in the movie to make an allegory like that work. If they said that, I'd bet my life savings that it's just then trying to sound progressive long after the fact.

Also, you're retarded for getting so triggered by a term that has no inherent connection to Sup Forums.

The civil war in the MCU was much more interesting than that clusterfuck in the comics.

Marvel wants to make her relevant so all the money they wasted on her to keep her name away from Shazam, the rightful owner, is not in vain.
Her being hamfisted everywhere is all for a name, when other better female heroes can take her place on that spotlight.

Didn’t Ms Marvel start as a feminist hero until that got dropped later on?

their magics are getting out of hand. yesterday those madmen made the victim of a murder/suicide publish a paper on the affects of getting shot in the face...a decade ago. also they transformed a white man into an Indian one.

It's mainly because she gets pushed really, REALLY hard by Marvel because they want their own "great feminist icon" like Wonder Woman, when she isn't that popular (that they're mainly marketing her to that one crowd Sup Forums really doesn't like is not helping), and the only storyline about her that people remember is the one about giving birth to her own rapist and leaving with him to another world to start a family. And you can guess we don't remember that one because it was good.

Honestly I've never read Ms. Marvel's starting run/series. I only picked up a couple of odd issues long after she was established and saw her mostly in Avengers/Guest Spots. And a Google search doesn't prompt anything about her being an early feminist icon until recently. For reference she began as a sidekick and typically female characters that started that way(in her time period) were made to either bait female readers or add a love interest which I believe she was to the original Captain Marvel/Mar-veil

>For reference she began as a sidekick
What? No she didn't. Mar-Vell didn't even show up until like issue 10. And she was explicitly a feminist superhero, her name was Ms. Marvel and she was basically Gloria Steinem fanfiction.

Kek

Carol predates the Ms Marvel series by a good decade or so. She was just a pretty damn minor character before they decided she should get superpowers and a series because why not.

She adopted the Ms. Marvel name from Mar-vell's Captain Marvel and worked with him for a while following her introduction as Ms. Marvel. Again her origin series isn't my strongest area of expertise but didn't she fill the role of sidekick for a while if not immediately following her origin?

Carol started as a side character in 1968, only became Miss Marvel in 1977.

That sounds like something a fucking degenerate mudblood would say tbqh.

Gloria Steinem worked formthe CIA, some Conspiracy theorists think feminism was a Govenrment promotion.

>the only storyline about her that people remember
You forget her donating her powers to best Rogue

Well, if she's going to be another soft but tough chick look at Widow and Hill for how far that goes.

It sort of worked for Peggy, but Peggy's Peggy. It doesn't feel like it carried over to Sharon for example who is meant to be Peggy 2.0. so there you go on repeat success. I'll give Gamora benefit of doubt until GotG2

Wanda is interesting precisely because she is consistently uncertain but allows herself to confide in others regularly, drawing later strength from showing initial weakness. It's compelling compared to just switching from silent & sarcastic badass to flirty to lost little girl bringing up sterility while spontaneously planning to elope mid-disaster. Which just makes me wonder if there are 3 Black Widows running around.

Look at Bucky, Steve and T'Challa in comparison. They're often capable but always vulnerable. That image is in now. You get behind these people not because they're leaders or have a great ass but because you want to follow their journey to overcoming a personal conflict. Everyone doing something cool during action scenes is great, but when Cap and Bucky have a silent moment in the quinjet and T'Challa appears to be restraining himself to learn from failure and become wiser while listening to Zemo and reflecting you actually care because it's less about what feats they can do with ease and more what they struggle with but are determined to try to accomplish.

So I ask, can Carol Danvers pull that off?
Is she a woman out of her era of morality? Did she fail to prove herself at a crucial point and now lives with the shame of the first failure creating subsequent success of countless atrocities on her hands? Is she a young heir who failed to protect their queen mother, now tasked with shouldering the responsibility of acting as avenger, protector and successor?

Fighting in stead of a predecessor is nice, but if it doesn't feel truly personal and part of character development it's really just par for the course.

She did use to have a whole bunch of character flaws on her hands (including alcoholism) but then in recent years Marvel worked really hard to make her Generic Strong Female Protagonist.
I don't really get why considering Tony freaking Stark propped their movies, the most successful part of the franchise, up to where they are now, but hey.

Honestly I think She-Hulk despite being considered derivative conceptually would work far better especially since they could bring her in as someone who is glad the Avengers tried to help her cousin but also troubled his tenure with them lead to even more trouble and him disappearing for good.

As a someone competent in law she could also be the one to step to Ross, and as a Hulk that would be deliciously tense and poetic irony, and call him on his legal bullshit.

Her taking Hulk's spot to redeem his image and hopefully find him would give her some of that Cap/Bucky push. Add in an inner conflict of her recognizing a need for the hulk power to be of use but concerned that she might end up like Bruce when she starts to lose it during battles.
Plus like Wanda and Zemo due to the activities of the Avengers because of previous Hulk shenanigans there's already a lot to work with without giving her a solo movie and hefty origin. She's here now, here's why, moving on.

she's hated because she used to have a sexy costume and great hair and now she has a shitty costume and dyke hair

>when Sup Forums was love
except now we know that just meant pozzed

woman heroes aren't allowed to have flaws because that might make them interesting

She still has an extremely short fuse and is quick to violence and murder. She's just not a drunk anymore.

I can tell what she's thinking there.
>I hate skrulls
>my feet hurt
>wish I was drunk

Carol started out as a minor character in Mar-Vell's early days, back when he was a spy for the Kree against Earth's interests. She was the security officer at the base that Mar-Vell had infiltrated. He left the base (Carol stayed with the military and didn't find out wtf happened until the incident with the Nerve Gas later) just before being bonded to Rick Jones. Carol never appeared in his series after that point, and she never appeared as Ms. Marvel, to the point where if you went back and read only that, you'd never know about it, even though you see the Psyche-Magnitron incident take place.
Carol was, for the time at least, a feminist superhero. She was "Ms. Marvel" instead of something like "Marvel Girl" which, at the time, meant she was considered equal to a man. Later on, she even got the black costume which, while considered sexist now, 40 years later, at the time it meant even more independence from Mar-Vell, as she had an entirely different color scheme and she even got her own symbol (her lightning bolt, as opposed to his Star of Hala).

The feminism of the 70's wasn't the same thing was it is now.

She doesn't remember being an alcholic. But hating Skrulls? That's literally in her DNA.

In the X-Men cartoon showed Miss Marvel as a traditional super-heroine that got screwed by a evil mutie, she is a vegetal in the bed.

D-death by snusnu maybe?

Mate, people hated her for being bland the only thing she's had is her crazy rape alien baby and that could have been anyone. Literally every minority version of her has been better and should have been propped up over her. She is literally one of a handful of characters who were better off being minority washed. That's how fucking awful she is.

She's been great in ANAD, though.

I love Ed Benes.

>She's been great in ANAD, though.
She really hasn't.

Carol is turbocunt incarnate.

Yeah, ANAD Carol's great. She's got this vicious, aggressive edge that makes her a much more entertaining character than she's been since becoming Captain Marvel.
If they wanted to temper her negative traits to make her more of a positive character, this was the way to do it.

She's been good enough to make me vaguely optimistic that she won't be so fucking bland in the future.

You keep saying that but in every interview they mention the OBVIOUS paralels with gnosticism.

Does you ave any source on it faggot?

>The feminism of the 70's wasn't the same thing was it is now.
Well they didn't have social media to bully everyone who disagreed (or even agreed but expressed it wrong) and hordes of over-educated but underpaid (and under-intelligent) fat landwhales and fake nerdy quirky girls to get buttmad at comics they don't read.

>She's just not a drunk anymore.
They should bring it up more often.
Even though she doesn't remember WHY she stopped drinking.

>She doesn't remember being an alcholic
You sure about that?

Only started reading comic in 2013, I see.

That's the one we want back, user.

Claremont's X-Men & Busiek's Avengers are her genuinely good comic stories. She has some good stuff in her 2 Ms Marvel ongoings too (by Claremont and Reed respectively) but they're pretty hit-or-misd. This FEMINIST AGENDA shit isn't new, she's been that way since her inception and it shows. That's actually why we got the maligned rapebaby storyline; the Editor in Chief was anti-feminist and wanted to cut her down to size.

>the Editor in Chief was anti-feminist and wanted to cut her down to size.
Citation please, this sound more like some tumblr conspiracy/misunderstanding of what actually hapenned.

I wish Marvel had the balls to publish a story in which Moonstone or someone else comes back, shows Carol how much of a fuckup she was, and tells her that she will never be the best superhero around no matter how hard she tries.

Then Carol starts trying to prove her wrong, but whatever she does she can't remember all the fucks up she did.
In the end, psychologically almost destroyed, she says "Fuck that shit" and start doing good for the pure sake of it, without thinking about proving to be a hero.
And THIS way she becomes the greatest hero Disney's Hercules style

I would read a story like that

That is terrible fanfic user

The one-dimensional, plot-slave, brawlbabe?

the EiC was JIM SHOOTER.

See, what I don't get is the "there were better options!" mindset.

There really weren't.

Historically, she was the first Marvel Superheroine to get a solo run longer than 4 fucking issues. Not even any of the lauded X-Men girls can claim that. Shit, one of the two femuties who did eventually get their own ongoing was originally one of HER supporting characters.

Then there's the fact that its about franchising, not simply having a vagina. Could you spin Hellcat out into a worthwhile trilogy? Tigra? Squirrel Girl? No. Or at least, not easily. You'd have to build so much shit there on the spot. Captain Marvel is a brandname that's gotten as much traction as either Dr Strange or Black Panther have over the years and racked up a lot of material. And Carol was there for it since the very beginning. Which, again, is why she wins out over Monica or Phylla or whichever other female Captain Marvel you think they'd use (besides, you know, being white and straight and safe).

The only comparable options are She-Hulk, who'd be maligned as a subordiante to a male, and Kamala, who's a spinoff from Carol so you might as well hold her off for a few years to make the money go further. Plus neither of them really have a wealth of their own material to draw from, She-Hulk because she gave up decades ago in favour of taking the piss out of everybody else, and Kamala because she's just so brand spanking new and needs time to build it up.

I dunno. It all seems perfectly logical to me.

new custume sucks

She was interesting when Busiek wrote her. And Claremont. Even Brian Reed doesn't look that bad compared to fucking KSD.

Basically, KSD made her almost radioactive bad.

Luckily pretty much everybody else writes her MUCH better and the new series is decent enough-

Honestly, as a DCfag, it's just like, "...who the fuck is Captain Marvel? Carol Danvers? Mar-Vell?"

The only noteworthy 'Marvel' character is Kamala Kahn and even she's basically just your typical teenaged superhero, if written well and very qt. don't see the big deal about Carol freakin' Danvers.

Monica was the better Captain Marvel long before nu-Carol So was Phyla-Vell. So was Rick Jones.

Really don't see how. Both were just as bland. Even in Nextwave, every other character (except Captain) was more interesting than Monica.
Rick I'll give you.

Captain Marvel is Marvel's one true legacy character, which DC has quite a few of.
Honestly I'd say the best comparison is Starman rather than Shazam. Since that's probably their MOST legacy legacy character.

>Monica Rambeau, leader of the Nextwave squad, lies ALL THE TIME.
Sounds like you've got some shit taste, user.

Yeah, that one page is what wanted me want to check out Nextwave.
Turns out it was her best bit in the entire comic.

So her current series is fine?
I wanted to start reading it, since I liked her Ms. Marvel series in the post-Civil War period, but the comments about her "Captain Marvel" period are anything but good

Eh, she's got some other good bits.
You may be right about her not being as funny as the others, but that's hardly a slight on her considering how great Nextwave is.

Yes. It has her being violent and impulsive, shows her being antagonistic towards Abigail Brand and several alien ambassadors, and fully embraces her connection to Mar-Vell and the Kree.

I suppose I can give it a chance, then.
Thanks

How was she with KSD, instead?

She had a cat and there was a little girl who told her how great she is. There was other stuff too, but it's too bland to remember.