The Leftovers

Grand finale is approaching. We are three days away from the end of this glorious series. It will be very hard for them to end this in a way that pleases everyone. Anyone have any predictions on what we will see this Sunday? My prediction is that I will cry when it ends. Kevin Garvey is one of the greatest characters in television history.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4LRQEzVaNw8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Matt will be fine. Just..fine ;____;

>Anyone have any predictions on what we will see this Sunday?

the future bby

Jesus 100 percent agree to me this is all about what happens to Kevin. And yes I will cry. I never watched lost so I never get all the theories some leftovers threads have

My theory is that in a few months people will look back and realize they bought into the hype over a pretty mediocre season that had a couple of peaks.

There's always this guy. Give it a rest and breath dude or find another thread, pathetic

Do you dislike the show? If not, then season 1 or 2? I thought this has been the best season honestly.

This will be the finale:

Kevin is not a reincarnation of Jesus and all that "afterlife" stuff was just in his mind He never really died:

>first time he drowned himself the water went away
>The poison that old guy gave him was just some sort of zombie drug
>That dude never checked him when he shot him, he just collapsed
>He was saved from drowning completely
>Everyone just believed Garvey Jr. & Sr. dellusional bullshit until now, with the flood not happening

>Nora finds out the machine is a scam
>Matt already found out everything is bullshit on the boat
>Lori has always believed everything to be bullshit and she hasn't killed herself because of the last second call
>We won't find out anything about the SD
>Everyone will be dissappointed besides me

>glorious series
kek. after the first season it's practically a waste of time.

>the finale is a TEDx talk of damon lindelof explaining why no one understood LOST

They've already set themselves up to believe the series was about "muh characters" the entire time.

Just ignore how the show is mostly plot driven from the start and completely plot driven from s02e01 onward.

This is the only show I can recall from recent history in which, with only one episode left, pretty much no one has any idea how it will end. I'm hyped for sunday.

It's going to be principally a Nora episode. She and Kevin will live happily ever after. None of the mysteries will be explained

The fact that the opening for every single episode in season 2 was 'Let the Mystery Be' says a lot.

I bet it's the opening song for the final episode too

I hope we don't find out anything about the sudden departure because it never really mattered. It's about the people "left over" whoa mind blown.

But really, I think the machine is a scam but it actually disintegrates people. Kevin saves Nora and ends up being disintegrated (cremated) instead. Kevin has no way of "coming back to life" this way. Nora, still believing the legitimacy of the machine, resents Kevin's sacrifice because he got to go where she wanted.

People read Kevin's story. Word gets around that he was disintegrated. People pretend that they still see Kevin perhaps even three days after the disintegration. Kevin is immortal in memory.

LEAKED

This would be terrible
Yeah the machine has to be a scam. I can't see them sending someone where the departures went. I don't think we will get many answers but hopefully it will be more coherent than lost.

Fucking hell

Thank God, I can finally kill myself. I've been waiting til this series ends.

Will you still kill yourself if we get a LOST-tier finale?

This season has been great. No bad episodes and E1, E4, E5, E6 and especially E7 were all great episodes.

kys pretending that the show is any good, literally LOST season 3+ tier

In that case, maybe I should do it before.

>the show is mostly plot driven from the start

But the plot isn't about the Departure, the plot is all about Kevin and the people around Kevin. Identify one story arc that was directly about the Departure rather than its effect on people.

Some user posted a theory that the two realities kevin goes between are parallel universes and when someone dies in one, they get sent to the other. user said something about friction between the two or something that caused the departure from both universes.
Oh and something about Patty and Kevin being trans dimensional demons or something.

>Kevin Garvey is one of the greatest characters in television history.
HOW!? I keep seeing praise for these omg so amazing characters but you guys never actually say how. Kevin is pretty wooden, sure he's a bit of a tortured soul but so is everyone after the departure.

Awful. Would ruin a great series.

>they were the suddenly departed all along

>in another world 98% of the population disappeared. nora's family is wondering where she went and there's a baby abandoned in a clinic somewhere

Well the acting of Theroux is incredible. But Garvey is a tortured soul who has been through nothing but hell. You could argue not many have had it worse than him and Nora so it's not shocking to see them gravitate toward one another. Yet despite all of this he still has goodness in his heart and wants the best for his family and those around him. He goes above and beyond for the ones he loves with little or no regard for his own life. He can handle mostly anything thrown at him. When he dies and goes wherever the hell it is he goes he says over and over again that he doesn't want to die and that he wants to leave that place to get back home. The episode when he's at the karaoke bar singing the song proves that what he says is true. You can also tell he's extremely pissed at Nora for wanting to go to wherever her children went because he is clearly in love with her. He's probably the most unselfish man in a mostly selfish world.

>The whole series is a flash-sideways of the real timeline

Or you can wait until the next Lindelof shitshow ends ;)

I think the place we see old Nora in is the departed world, there are no cars and it looks pretty empty. And what a tragedy it would be that she is in the same world as her family but can't see them.

DUDE ACCEPT THE MYSTERY LMAO

So it basically boils down to him being a good person? I guess. In the book, which I highly recommend it nails the small town guy trying to hold his little corner of the world together a lot better.

I honestly think Leftovers fans love it when anyone questions the show so they can all gang up and circlejerk over omg so kino! Dramatic violin music and characters screaming and crying!

I would not be disappointed by this at all. It's best case scenario for me. I always wanted as few supernatural explanations as possible.

>final scene
>the back rows get filled with leftovers character

Seasoon 1 is so much better than turrd 2 and 3

Man, I just watched Episode 7 and fucking hell. What a good fucking episode. Really, really enjoyed that. Solidifying the fact that Kevin is the best and the first opening theme is the best.

You really think so? Why?

Why was God killed by the lion? I mean, looks like he wasn't, but he was!

Save Nora, save the world.

Uh what

I realise how this opinion sounds edgy af but i actually agree. I feel like season 3 hasn't had good flow. Personally I enjoyed season 1 the most. I still watch it passionately but it just doesn't have that dark, serious, melancholy inducing tone that season 1 had. Peak of the season so far was Laura's suicide.

>Not being okay with mysteries not being solved

Enjoy living a shitty life.

Fucking Kevin looked prettier than Nora in that scene.

Name a more interesting antagonizing group that you've ever came across in a series than GR.
protip: You can't.

On a more serious note, would you join the GR Sup Forums? Apart from the no talking bullshit, i feel like their ideology is so spot-on... and honestly every time pati talked to explain it (to kevin or laurie) I could never think of a counter-argument, Pati was always to the point.

Do they really make too much sense or am I just that far gone into depression?

I think season 1 is the best looking back but it took me a long time to get through. I binged season 2 and loved the world building. Season 3 has been good but everything just seems a bit ridiculous now.

No, cause it's fucking depressing and honestly the people seem pretty cunty and rude. I also HATE white clothes. I mean, a shirt, sure, but all white? Fuck that. Also hate cigarette smoke. And the whole no talking part can fuck off too. I'm no social butterfly but I sure as fuck like my life with some colour and liveliness.
Then again none of my loved ones have been transported into the great unknown so who knows.

Also, you might just be that depressed.

Home, where my love lies waiting

Silently for me

Just another of the 100's of reasons Season 2 is the GOAT of all TV.

OG bus and his spaghetti monster pops come down from space and abracadabra the rest humanity away

Feels

People's families become that group.

Who talks to anyone any more? Tolerate those closest to you, sub the smokes for a cell phone.

It's hard to know without the last episode but I'm convinced that scene will bring context to the rest of the season.

Kevin Garvey: What do you want?
Patti Levin: I want you do understand.
Kevin Garvey: Understand what?
Patti Levin: Ever think about the fourteenth? The fourteenth of October? The great vanishing, the Sudden Departure, the clusterfuck of the modern era. When's the last time you really thought about it?
Patti Levin: I don't.
Patti Levin: Me, I think about it every fuckin' waking moment. I mean come on, what else is there to think about?
Kevin Garvey: So you know where they went- what happened?
Patti Levin: It doesn't matter what happened! But the difference between you and me is that I accept that it did. And while you push it aside, while you ignore it, we strip ourselves of everything that distracts us from it. We strip away the colorful diversions that keep us from remembering. We strip away attachment, fear, and love, and hatred, and anger, until we are... erased. Until we are a blank slate. We are living reminders of what you try so desperately to forget. And we are ready. And we are waiting. Because it's not gonna' be long now.

Kevin Garvey: Laurie didn't join you to become a living fucking reminder.
Patti Levin: Then why did she?
Kevin Garvey: Because I failed her.
Patti Levin: Oh, you think she came to us because of you? Because of what you did with your dirty dick? Yes, Kevin, there was a time when I told Laurie everything. And then there was a time when she told me everything. But she came to me because I could offer her something that you could not: purpose. That's all any of us want now, every single one of us. Not answers, not love- just a reason to exist. Something to live for. Something to die for.
Kevin Garvey: Did Gladys have a purpose?
Patti Levin: Ah, you remember her name!
Kevin Garvey: Of course I remember her fucking name.
Patti Levin: Well Kevin, that was the point! That woman was brutally murdered- death by a hundred stones- and now, she can't be forgotten.

>But she came to me because I could offer her something that you could not: purpose. That's all any of us want now, every single one of us. Not answers, not love- just a reason to exist. Something to live for. Something to die for.

Are you telling me these words didn't resonate within you? Holy shit that dialogue between pati and kevin s01e08 really was the highlight of the whole series to me, and I believe that it conceals the quintessence of which the series was built to put across the audience.

I will not be attending an Ariana Grande concert with you anytime soon.

Nope. What I'm getting out of that is people should dress up as Towers to remember 9/11. That's the gist. Maybe I don't want to remember what happened. Maybe I DO want to forget. Purpose? What fucking purpose? Purpose is whatever I want. I'm not lost enough to throw away all emotions. I like being attached, I like fear, love, hatred, anger, fucking everything.

Buuuut like I said, no one has disappeared in my world and I just don't have the ability to put myself in the shoes of the GR a 100%. Sure, I get their point somewhat but I don't agree with it really.

:( What do i do to get motivated user? I really don't wanna do anything but watch series and eat all day. I've cut back on the eating and I've been hitting the gym again for 3 weeks now and I literally couldn't feel more empty. Everything just feels like such a drag. What do?

>Purpose is whatever I want

No. You either serve a purpose or you don't.

Talking really helps. I'm not trying to meme. It genuinely does help. And laugh. Just laugh at stuff. Even fake laughter can get you into actual laughter which makes you feel better. Listen to some music. Walk around here and there. Look at cool shit. Just watch the clear sky even. It's fucking beautiful at night. Especially if you're not near a City.

And who the fuck is the GR to give me purpose? Fuck their purpose. I want MY purpose. And my purpose is whatever I want.

>my purpose is whatever I want

Sure. But what is it.

Being happy and not letting some unexplainable bollocks control my life till I get genuinely depressed. I don't find happiness in the GR's purpose. Just not for me.

>Being happy

That's not a purpose. That's a state. It contributes nothing, it achieves nothing but itself. A purpose can make you happy but personal happiness is not a purpose.

For you achieving happiness may not be your purpose. For that user it is.

What do you find happiness in? What do you do when the things that you find happiness in are really self-destructive? Food disorders, drugs, sex addiction with strangers.

It is to my understanding that happiness is a process and a painful one at that too. So what do you do if you just can't be bothered to partake in it? What if what makes you feel ok/happy just causes calamity to you and the people around you? E.g. getting fired, not passing your Uni courses etc.

Tl;dr how do you just "be happy", when we live in an era that "just being" equals to failure and constant anxiety and pressure?

No, I strive to be happy. I work towards being happy. The reason why I continue to live is to become happy. I'm not saying I'm happy now. A purpose is the reason why you do something, no?

People are disappointed with 99% of all series finales. So just looking at the odds, this will probably be disappointing

i can understand the GR because i know that feeling that it's comforting to wallow in your grief and not move on, I like how they were characterized in the show too, especially with Pattti.

I don't think i would have joined them though

By finding different happiness. Friends. Having a series that you really enjoy following. Music. Sports. Whatever. Most people turn to self-destructive stuff to find happiness but they find happiness again when they let go of that self-destructive nature. I can't tell you to just stop doing bad things cause that's not how life works but I can tell you to try and better yourself. Just keep trying. That's the purpose.
I'm right in that "just being" place and it fucking sucks. I'm a massive failure and it honestly is my fault. That's why I want to get better. So I can live a better life.

I don't know if any of that actually made sense or is applicable to your question. I feel like it needed to be said.

For the finale I predict several flash forwards. The 10th anniversary of the departure, 15th, etc.
Nothing will happen, and the number of people expecting something to happen will grow smaller. Just like the doomsday cult montage that started the season.
Series will end with "old Nora" reuniting with Kevin.

I'm actually at the same place as you are, and I'm trying to get my shit together too. I am in the process of trying to live a better life. For me, food is the biggest problem, so since I decided about a month ago to start exercising and practicing nutrition again, i programme my whole routine around my meals because food is the only thing that I feel fulfills me. And right now I'm just sitting on my computer waiting for time to pass so I can eat the next meal when I actually have TONS of shit to do. I got finals coming up, I got series to watch, I got new music to listen to, I got a boyfriend that loves me and wants to meet up. I have so much stuff that I could do but I can't help but see EVERYTHING as an obligation. Everything except food and weed.

In essence, I'm forcing myself to be happy right now, and it's not working at all. I just feel empty and without purpose. I can't think of anything in my immediate future that gives me some sort of gratification. I just feel this unbearable lightness of existing.

And so I eat till I puke because it might feel like complete shit but then at least i'm feeling something

A part of me almost wishes they didn't get renewed because god DAMN was that an incredible finale, and I would have been perfectly fine if the show ended at the end of that episode.

Mr. Contrarian

If I find Kevin with a beard hot am I gay.
If so where do I find a gay beard Kevin bf

Shit man, sounds rough. Have you tried eating smaller amounts but more often? Shit like that? Food was/is a problem for me too but I just distract myself with games or a cup of tea. I go downstairs. Look at all the food but just put the kettle on instead. Not always cause I don't have high self-control but I still try. But I think about the future a lot and even though the realistic future is completely fucking depressing, I think of some tidbits that'll make me happy. So I just smile to myself keep going. I can't put myself in your shoes so I can't give you any good advice. I'm just going through the motions each day and it's not fun but there are some days where I have a genuinely good day. For me, it my friend. Or playing a game. Or the day the new whatever comes out for a series. Stuff like that makes me keep going.
Again, I feel like 90% of the stuff I've said was bollocks and completely irrelevant but hey.

The point of GR is not to make you depressed, it's to strip you of emotions by stripping you of human connection.
In the post-Departure world connections between people become the most dangerous things, because now you live in a world where your loved ones can disappear at any given moment without any explanation. So to avoid the potential heartbreak you preemptively separate yourself from your friends and family, so that you're emotionally protected in case of another Departure.

Happy together? Hell no.

Yea, see, that's depressing for me. It's like not talking to someone because you're scared they may not like you or whatever.

but they want you to remember.. which is depressing

WILL KEVIN FIND THE CHALICE????????

youtu.be/4LRQEzVaNw8

It's ok user, pour it out, god knows i know it helps, i'm doing it myself.

But anyway this is where I wanted the whole discussion to come down to. GR just makes so much sense. And I feel like Kevin is GR too but keeps resisting it because he's afraid of what the people around him will think. Pati said it and it's evident by his facial expressions too. He doesn't have a purpose. He's empty. And he understands GR. And so do I.

Patti Levin: [picks up a piece of broken glass as Kevin walks toward the door to leave] Kevin!
[he turns to face her]
Patti Levin: You do understand.
[Patti stabs herself in the neck, blood pouring down her body as she collapses]
Kevin Garvey: Oh Jesus! Oh God!
[rushes to Patti and lowers her to the floor, removing the shard from her neck]
Kevin Garvey: What the fuck did you do? What the fuck did you do?
Patti Levin: [last words] You understand...

Tell me in plain small words, cause I'm an idiot, what the GR is trying to say. What is their purpose? To make people remember? What exactly is it that makes sense to you?

>Fine. We are going to vaporize every man, woman and child on the planet. We're gonna fire our nukes at the Russians, and they're gonna retaliate and that's it. We're all torched. No one wakes up tomorrow dissapointed that nothing fucking happened. We give the people what they're too chickenshit to do themselves, what they elected us for. We give them what they want. And they want to die.

The GR strives to make the people realise that there is no purpose. They are trying to unlearn all those teachings that they had prior to the SD that life has a purpose etc while in the process trying to make everyone else realise it too, and when they have fully arrived at that point, genuinely not caring about anything anymore and understanding with their whole entity that life is meaningless, killing themselves.

But they did a whole lot of fuckery before killing themselves. If people found out that there was literally no purpose then they'd just off themselves. They won't start a club and have uniforms and codes and elaborate plans to annoy others. Patty said that the GR could offer a purpose. That's why Laurie came to her. "Something to live for. Something to die for".
Think about it. All they are doing is making other people's lives miserable so they can have some sense of satisfaction. That's what it boils down to.

Read the comment again, man
>They are trying to unlearn all those teachings that they had prior to the SD that life has a purpose etc while in the process trying to make everyone else realise it too

There's a thick line between knowing that there is no purpose and ACTUALLY believing it. That's why the entirety of GR hasn't committed suicide yet, because even tho they get it, they don't believe it with every inch of their body yet. Because they were taught another narrative their whole fucking life. It's not easy changing those notions.

>If people found out that there was literally no purpose then they'd just off themselves.

They do, remember Gladys' death in season 1.

>Patty said that the GR could offer a purpose. That's why Laurie came to her. "Something to live for. Something to die for"
>die for

You answered your question yourself

Huh. I guess I'm too thick headed to fully understand the GR. It just seems like a waste.

I like the GR in the show but they really come off as the
>too intelligent for...
meme. They seem selfish and if their entire purpose is to prove life has no purpose why not just kill themselves and let others come to a similar conclusion on their own. Harassing people seems pointless.
Also I feel like in real life the GR would be murdered regularly. Nobody would fucking care if they died and if anything people would be happy. I don't think it would take as Long as it did for them to be taken out like the end of season 1.

Also can somebody explain why johns daughter joined the GR, i never really understood it. Was it just because her father was a dick?

>They seem selfish and if their entire purpose is to prove life has no purpose why not just kill themselves and let others come to a similar conclusion on their own.
I think this is what I was trying to get across but I'm shit at explaining myself.

And I think Jill felt like Family was a joke or whatever cause her Mom left and Tommy was nowhere around and Dad was being weird. Then the divorce and stuff and Aimee and etc.

Not OP, I prefer season 1 over the rest. It felt more grounded and complete without any bullshit. Not to say the rest of the show is bad, I genuinely love it, but it feels like it's been the same retread since season 1 where Kevin realizes home is where he belongs and everyone reunites. 3 has been a bit of a disappointment so far because it has episodes based on nothing. Garvey seniors episode was by far the worst of the season because it doesn't do anything. He's unlikable to begin with and is just delusional.

most solo episodes are like that. they learn something imporant, but most of the content is just filler, desu

But even then the other seasons that had episodes like that actually felt important. Nora had the best character episode by far because it's actually relevant to not only the main arc but everyone else, Garvey Senior had an episode with a reveal that could've been guessed from the previous episode. Matt's character episode in season 1 was really good and gave you a grasp of how the departure affected other people but season 3 just has episodes that aren't relevant. Lauries episode was odd because she just randomly commits suicide at the end because it was written in for that episode. There was no buildup because she was completely happy up until then.

The GR are just a bunch of smug, whiny edgelords. Especially Meg.

>all the mental midgets itt
having a pretty good laught to be completly honest

Kek

I'm so excited, and I'm constantly thinking about it.

I'm already getting depressed, knowing that its ending and that the best stuff is behind us. God I love season 2 with all my heart.

I bet he was rubbing her feet the whole time