Why do comic fight scenes look so stiff, static, and awkward compared to fight scenes in manga?

Why do comic fight scenes look so stiff, static, and awkward compared to fight scenes in manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

mangasee.co/manga/?series=Berserk&chapter=179&index=2
mangasee.co/manga/?series=DragonBall&chapter=201&index=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Honestly?

I think its the use of motion lines.

Sometimes they lack the willingness or ability to 'break' the design and anatomy a little to create a sense of force, impact, speed, and action.

agree, I have yet to see a fight scene in comics as fluid and dynamic as the one in this chapter

mangasee.co/manga/?series=Berserk&chapter=179&index=2

Maybe some artist just never learned to smear their lines intentionally... Or the division between pencils and inking/coloring leads to "Make this easier to color in later" drawings.

This one specifically is a still... Like the whole point is to show the weight or size of the battle. There are PLENTY of other great comic books that also have those fluid fight scenes...

To be fair Alex Ross never does depict action all that well even outside of this panel. It's just not his strength.

I prefer Alex Ross as a cover artist than one who draws the entire comic desu.

I can barely tell what's going on in this.

Seems, ultimately, american books try to be more photo realistic than fanciful and as a result...

You get action pages that look like this one.

Comic fight scenes really are pretty terrible

A mutant kingpin that had multiple heads and multiple arm sprouting from his massive torso would actually be a pretty freaky-cool design.

Like some sort of AU where everything has gone nuclear post-apocalyptic.
The Kingpins?

And yet a comic like Eden: IAEW looks better on a technical rendering level and has really fucking dynamic action scenes as well.

300+ replies here we go

>it's a west vs east thread
here we go again

I feel like Ross is a poor example to use, because he specifically works in a more photorealistic, "painter" style that by design won't have much of the stretching, blurring, etc. that you see more in manga.

ON YOUR OWN

GOING DOWN THE ONLY ROAD YOU'VE EVER KNOWN!

To me this honestly looks messy. And berserk is on of the better mangawhen bit comes to clear action. But nothing about those pages looks like a fight to me. Just a series of line filled poses and clashes.

Don't post a page or nothin'.

Dragonball had amazing action desu

mangasee.co/manga/?series=DragonBall&chapter=201&index=1

Do you also prefer your meat cooked as opposed to raw?

Look up legend of luthor strode, if u want some awesome action sequences.

I think the design ethos for both are as follows.

American Books - Sell the Impact
Japanese Books - Sell the Motion

See? Its all about how hard they hit, not how often or how they went about getting the hit in.

didn't she get raped hard?

Thanks for the suggestion m8

I guess. I mean his covers for astro city were superb but I wouldn't like if he drew the entire comic, haven't read marvels yet though.

Who's she?

>LINESLINESLINESLINESLINES
>so fluid and dynamic
Take your shit taste elsewhere, weeb.

>There are PLENTY of other great comic books that also have those fluid fight scenes...
Denys Cowan's work on The Question immediately comes to mind. I'm sure there have been plenty of other great action artists, but it's not something I tend to keep in mind, since action is often ultimately not as important as everything else.

She got fucked up by King Torture pretty bad yeah, don't remember if she got raped though. She was a cool character though.

Okay now granted I haven't seen ALL the show, but I don't REMEMBER her getting raped. Like, beaten up and captured a couple of times I think but...

Flamenco Girl from Samurai Flamenco

>Cherrypicking: The Thread
Thanks OP, you stupid faggot.

Because that's Alex Ross' art. For all his greatness, he displays zero sense of motion or kineticism between panels.

Yeah, this looks awful. It looks like two people spamming in Street Fighter.

post a more well drawn comic action scene

I'm not trying to shit on manga but do you seriously think that is a good example of dynamism ?

I think action in manga can sometimes bog down the pace of the stories. I'm reading seven deadly sins, and the character interactions and plot points are more interesting than the well drawn but boring fighting.

No speedlines/blur effects.

this is like the third one today?

wrong picture

Here's one of my favorite one-page action scenes from Cowan's Question. Actions are simple and clear, with a well defined sense of motion. You can see exactly how Question took these chumps out in like 3 moves.

Deadly Sins is shonen. The action is what the primary audience is there for.

Not a "fighting" action scene but Slam Dunk was great.

im not even sure if this even contributes to the east's argument but this was a really fucking good fight

>American Books - Sell the Impact

Read One Piece. Oda makes you feel every punch.

>tfw i always hope these threads are just full of awesome fights from East and West
>Is always just shitposting

DECOMPRESSED STORYTELLING
E
C
O
M
P
R
E
S
S
E
D

Luffy is based like that. That scene when he punched a celestial dragon was awesome.

I have yet to see a fight scene in either comics or manga as engaging as Punisher against Barracuda from Ennis' Max. I love how it's less about punching and kicking and more about creativity and utilizing the environment to defeat a larger opponent.

I used to not like JoJo's art, but it grew on me a lot recently. It's one of the few manga that I think would benefit from being colored, seeing Araki collab with Gucci solidified that in my mind.

That looks like absolute dogshit.

you need speed lines

sorry for your shit taste m8

Fuck off weeb thats such bad art

No you need to fucking crazy like Tradd Moore

The scene where here punched through Don Krieg's spiked cape made me feel it in my fist.

>hating on Berserk

We've reached the apex of trolling.

Can someone please storytime this?

True, I'm impressed by the art during those moments, although plot wise they tend to be constantly on a big scale. I felt his previous Bancho manga scaled the stakes in a fairly gradual level that made sense.

Honestly, it's more the decompressed nature of the fights (usually chapters long while in the west they are only a few panels or pages), plus the way the fights convays motion when it comes to stances (in the west fights are attacks then return to an action stance then new attack, in the east it's a series of continuos strikes that imply contant motion) plus whole pages like that just show a reaction and look fucking awesome.

It's not trolling. Why don't you read some comics instead of magna so you learn what good art is?

Even if you don't like Berserk as a story or whatever, hating on the art is just retarded.

Yeah, this shit

This Is awful weeb shit. Overstylized pretty boy characters making ridiculous faces and stupid over exaggerated attacks.

Honestly this isn't a great example of a manga since it's naturally chaotic.

Something like Tekken Chimni is a bit more clear.

Really bad example.

These are way better You could do better with Berserk.

That honestly doesn't look very hard, but that has to do with the tone of the scene more than anything.

I felt this one.

shit buttbaby i'm so sorry someone insulted your precious berzerk but how about you deal with it like a man instead of crying? I like Berzerk but people like you almost make me ashamed of it.

that's true

I want to leram how to smear the lines but it is a shitty thing to do with a tablet.

I think this is actually even less clear.

Are they just twirling around in that same pose, like a standoff? Or is something actually happening here?

If it is just a standoff, it's kinda silly to make it look like they're dancing in a circle so fucking fast.

>continuing to shit on Berserk

Okay, NOW this is the apex of trolling.

I don't know what's going on here.

What is this and where can I get more?

That's your fault.

I could never get into Berserk.

What now, fâm?

Exactly. Weeb shits could take a lesson from Quitely or Burnham on not over stylizing.

He's not even shitting on beserk or even really the art per se, just that that specific action sequence is bad, or cluttered, busy, and hard to follow.

You're just being way over sensitive.

Is it less clear? I actually read the manga so maybe that helps, but
>Are they just twirling around in that same pose, like a standoff?

You're already getting it, so it works doesn't it?

Why don't we all just use a better example of berserk

well, I had to stop and try to parse it to come to that conclusion, because like I said, it feels silly for a standoff, tensiony kind of scenario to involve twirling around really fast.

Holly shit Abe, what the hell?