Persepolis

Emma Watson has chosen the comic book Persepolis for her feminist book club to read for June.

Is it worth reading, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UnRWKyCW0yE
youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, it's pretty good.

yes it is.
and you're a terrible person for trying to incite another round of shitstorm for no good reason.

What did you drop out of High school? It was required reading at most. Its pretty good I guess from an objective standpoint. I prefer Maus.

>Is it worth reading, Sup Forums?

Yes, it is.

But I suspect you don't actually care about that and are just looking to start some bait and shitposting because you know the word "feminist" triggers Sup Forums

Persepolis and Maus are almost required reading for anybody who argues in favor of comics and graphic novels as an artistic/storytelling medium.

Yeah it's pretty good

It didn't become required until after I graduated, maybe 2010? My sister did read it years after when she was in hs and that's when I borrowed it and read it.

Just watch the movie.

don't listen to this guy, though it's ok too

it's a good argument for feminism and against islam and why the two dont mix
required reading imho

I never knew it to be required reading in high school, but I know there were classes at my university that required it.

It's okay.

i saw and liked the movie, was the book better?

>Persepolis
>now a major motion picture
Is it any good? Never heard of the comic. The only required comic for highschools was Maus and that was for the non AP kids. Which was dumb because I read it anyways in college.

Yes OP. Read it, enjoy it, share it.

Inb4 some goofball says we're all feminists.

>Is it any good? Never heard of the comic.

Both are good.

YOU'RE ALL FEMINISTS

TUMBLR WHALES, THE LOT OF YOU

But user, the movie has beautiful animation and is one of the few animated movies made in the west not marketed to children.

cool

It is. Don't let Emma Watson ruin it for you.

To be fair, Emma Watson is the perfect example of a legitimate and sane feminist.

Shit, she called the Fappening people assholes. They responded they'd release her nudes. Her response was an icy cool "There are no nudes of me, I'm smart enough not to take them."

Rather than focusing on stupid shit like a Black Widow movie or railing against people who think NuGhostbusters looks like it'll suck, she focuses on the places where beating your wife to death for your brother thinking she's hot is okay.

>Not Harley Quinn
>A TRUE feminist icon

Emma c'mon!

>Shit, she called the Fappening people assholes.

Didn't everyone who isn't an asshole do that?

>Rather than focusing on stupid shit like a Black Widow movie or railing against people who think NuGhostbusters looks like it'll suck, she focuses on the places where beating your wife to death for your brother thinking she's hot is okay.

Wasn't she was part of the whole ban-the-word-bossy hullabaloo as well?

>Everyone who isn't an SJW is an asshole
Wow this place really is Sup Forumsmblr.

Yes but there are a lot of assholes out there.

THIS IS FUCKING FAKE, RIGHT

why isn't she black

it's the perfect bait image because of people like you

user cmon!. I spend 3 days storytiming the whole shit so that people like you wouldn't fall AGAIN.

What's the problem? Villains always try to make shitty excuses for their actions.

I'm a pleb who can't afford and won't bother to buy comics so I only watched the movie, but it's absolutely great, so you should definitely give it a try.

He probably knows, he's just trying to start shit again

Being against hacking people's private shit and posting it to humiliate them isn't being an SJW.

is it fake tho

It ain't. Read the storytime for chrissake. It makes perfect sense

first book >second book >movie

Still surprised the second book was so lacking.

Never heard of that, what was it?
It was satirical.

I was almost fucking triggered then I saw that smile and Im no longer triggered

Why did she still wear a Hijab after escaping to France?

Hell, Rick Moranis is surrounded by assholes.

the important thing to take away from persepolis isnt any sjws stuff

it's that islam is toxic and destroys everything

habit. takes a while to adjust once you leave a totalitarian society

Cultural identity.

A lot of shit from the homeland you never think of or even really liked becomes important as a source of identity or comfort in a new country.

Like Mexicans with Mexican flags in California, or Americans with gridiron football team jerseys in London.

>Never heard of that, what was it?
Apparently the idea was that when men take charge they're considered cool and alpha but when women do it they're "bossy". So sjws wanted to put an end to the word bossy. It was stupid on many levels.

He knows that. He's shitposting.

The message is about fundamentalism being bad, since it produces a toxic environment for culture and politics.

You can be devout to anything without bekng a fucking loony destroying your country over being "morally" right. Fuck, after World War 1 Turkey became the single most modern country in the middle east, or Africa. Women were required to abandon burkas. But less than ten years later, they destroyed their new culture and went right fucking back to being nutty all because a few charismatic pricks started railing against secularism.

Watch this. Have your mind blown.

youtu.be/UnRWKyCW0yE

>Feminist book club

Was it against the word, or just people using it on female opponents in politics?

Because it seems like something legitimate to complain about if you get labelled for doing something your opponent is doing too.

It's a really good+ self-contained comic.

Also, Emma Watson breathes air.

It's aight

I feel like these panels weren't originally next to eachother.

Wish she'd read something lesser known comics.

>feminist book club

So do they read a book, discuss how it offended them, and then burn it?

not him but I'm only here for the piracy threads

what's the name of the comic?

I don't know if he's wearing some kind of flesh colored socks or if its the angle but he doesn't look like he has toes.

Like what? I'm all for recommendations.

Mostly they talk about female writers or writers that address the problem of gender.

is that really Emma Watson? man she looks really different without makeup. still cute as fuck, but I'm surprised by how much makeup she wears normally.

OP just tossed "feminist" in there to try and start a shitposting storm.

You mean in the writer's script or because someone edited them?. Either way it's original

It's from the Harley Quinn first solo. Specifially A.J Lieberman run

Who is the lady? Considering the last panel there, I'm not sure we're meant to agree with her.

No shit. If he wasn't baiting he'd just ask if the book is worth reading.

It's Harley. Harley is making the joke

>Sup Forums doesn't take the bait for once

I feel something inside me that I thought died a long time ago.

Her time in Iran during the revolution is 10X more interesting than her time wrestling with her feelings and being eurotrash.

They mix weirdly well in Egypt and Indonesia, but Indonesia is weird. They currently have a few Eco-jihad groups.

Persepolis isn't a big 2 comic so the usual offenders probably ignored the thread.

read it back in 8th grade, along with the second.

It's good yeah.

I never read the book but I really enjoyed the movie. You should watch it too.

I hope there's not 300+ replies of shitposting I'm scared to scroll down.

>for anybody who argues in favor of comics and graphic novels as an artistic/storytelling medium.
What would be some other good examples?
I'm looking to expand my current reading list.

In terms of "feminist" material Julie Doucet, Roberta Gregory, Ulli Lust, Phoebe Gloeckner, Jessica Abel, Jessica Abel, Alison Bechdel (though her work is probably as well known as Persepolis) and Wimmen’s Comix in general.

That's because Indonesian Muslims are chill as fuck. They lack he obsession with tribalism that cause middlr-eastern Muslims to become violent loons.

How old am I that no one I know my age read Persepolis or Maus in high school

Asterio Polyp is a solid go-to.

American Splendor

Understanding Comics for an articulation of why comics are art and what sets them apart from other artistic mediums

Watchmen

also the creator of the comic is involved in the movie, doesn't she voices herself when she is an adult in the movie?

I would assume over 25? Because I'm 25 and am in the same boat.

>American Splendor
My black compatriot.

Though it's stories are less emotionally heavy than Persepolis or Maus, I personally recommend the various Blacksad books. Really, really good noir detective stuff.

I also recommend stuff like Optic Nerve by Adrian Tomine or, if you're into the weirder more out-there stuff, I recommend Megg, Mogg, and Owl by Simon Hanselmann. The latter gets storytimed pretty frequently on here.

Sandman

That book about Pyongyang is pretty good.

you really should read it if you havent, op.

not very. I'm 25 and while some high school teachers tried to teach comics they used them with a book. so like a comic adaption of a novel.

I am in fact 25 as well

I don't want to feel old at 25

Not islam user I think you Muslim extremists

Waltz with Bashir is often forgotten about but its still a good contender (mostly because people think its just a movie, not an adaption of a pre existing graphic novel).

27 here, everyone I know read that stuff in college.

Huh, I had no idea it started as a comic. Weird. How does it compare to the movie?

>that part where Marji gets an innocent man arrested

what a wacky girl :^)

>I'm smart enough not to take them."

wow why is Emma Watson slut-shaming

what a bad feminist

>Wrestling isn't Real

youtube.com/watch?v=VYvMOf3hsGA

Its honestly the storyboards to the movie. When you read the comic, you realize that the film is essentially an animated comic.

>victim blaming
I don't think she's a very good feminist at all

Absolutely, Marjane a cute as well

>Then her grandma calls her out for being a stupid bitch as a result

It is good..ish.

When it comes to these type of comics, I think Guy Delisle (mainly Pyongyang about best Korea) , Joe Sacco and Maus beats this.

For someone who is old enough to remember the deposition of Reza Palhavi and the War Iraq-Iran , I was expecting something more.

>I'm smart enough not to take them
Five points Gryffindor.

It's called Pyongyang and it is really good

Yeah, definitely. The movie is good too.