ITT: episodes that came off more depressing than probably intended

ITT: episodes that came off more depressing than probably intended
>Some dickwad left the fridge's box outside
>Daria is spontaneously reminded of when her borderline aspie lifestyle got her parents into the school therapist's office
>Remembers hearing that they fought at night, seeks comfort in a box
>Flashback to present
>Starts isolating herself
>Starts believing that her own borderline aspire lifestyle was making her parents miserable
>Drives away
>Gets into a car accident
>Escapes in a restaurant,
>Some stuff happens, comes home, her hot Mom and dumbass Dad explains she dindu nutin'.
>Episode ends, "La La La La....."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aFgswwugEDs
youtube.com/watch?v=vHO_DhLeQr8
google.co.uk/#q=Alpha++ cities
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump

the ending was nice though
i was in the same box, so to speak, but my parents explained all along that they appreciated me.. and they were glad i was better than the shitty masses, even if it was exhaustingly complicated having a kid like me

I am 100% certain that that episode was exactly as depressing as intended. I might only think that way because I strongly identified with Daria's damage when I was a teenager, though.

i remember people were always worried i was sad or something, just like her
and it's like, no.. just because i judge people negatively doesn't mean i'm unhappy. i think i'm fucking awesome. i do what's right whether it's popular or not, and i'd rather have that than have popularity that's perpetually hanging by a thread
and now that shit's kinda different, but it's the same basic idea.. if you wanna be liked you have to bend over backwards to never offend anyone, so your acceptance is hanging by a thin thread again. fuck it, i don't wanna be liked.

So . . . . Daria thread?

sure, let's
i want to snuggle her

okay so we rarely talk about the comedy aspect but
funniest character? i vote kevin

Theres been alot of daria on Sup Forums lately. Not a complaint, just an observation. Whats your favorite episode? I havent seen it in a while but i remember liking the misery chick alot.

Jake and dimartino were pretty funny too. I also liked it whenever you saw all of mystic spiral together. They were pretty funy.

the one where she works at the nut hut has me rolling most of the time
the babysitting one and the plastic surgery one are good solid episodes.. as is the one where daria and quinn go to try to bail the lanes out of jail

any episode where helen saves the day by talking to the school and putting them in their place is fucking satisfying

the creative ones like the writing one or the renfaire one or the halloween one are always fun watches..

gotta admit i have a soft spot for episodes like the bridesmaid one, the rash one, the piercing one, any one where daria's adorably vulnerable and/or showing some skin

aaand of course the movies are all good

>you can't go below subzero
>sure, it's like, subzero, even colder than that
>look, subzero isn't a number, it's ALL the numbers in the subzero set
>set? isn't that like.. a math term?
>oh maaaaan

Damn i need to rewatch this... i remember all those. The babysitting one especially.

> All of them
> Because you're not them
> And your life is uninteresting, monotonous, same-shit-every-day
> because you are an uninteresting, monotonous, same-shit-every-day individual
> and it certainly doesn't help you don't have any freinds, either

Trent in general is pretty good.
>Hey, help yourself to the hot water.

>this shit
it sure as fuck was too nuanced for my stupid little kid mind and what fucked with me the most was that to ginger it was just a poem and it was everybody else who was freaking out.

i never understood that

youtube.com/watch?v=aFgswwugEDs

atbg had alot of great episodes. though ginger got kinda bitchy near the end..

DiMartino is probably my vote.

We're all in the same boat user

>Goat
My man!

there was also a lot of solidly Mike Judge humor early on, which is funny since he wasn't involved (kinda like the earthworm jim cartoon seeming to ape tennapel's comedic style). i recall an episode where helen tries to get the girls psyched up to see their cousin, whom daria reminds her is three.
then is quinn trying to get her attention and she just wipes her nose on quinn's bellbottoms causing her to flip out

>Whenever Demartino remembers why he loves to teach

When he leads the children in revolt at the camp in "Is it fall yet?" always makes me feel good. And that one time he genuinely complimented Kevin.

it's funny because there's a trope called 'misplaced kindergarten teacher' describing the likes of that substitute who called daria 'darlene' and kevin the q.b. 'cubey'
but really dimartino actually SHOULD be teaching younger kids. because they're less frustrating, and he could probably mellow out

>younger kids
>less frustrating

whatever else they are, perhaps more anxiety-inducing or whatever, they're less FRUSTRATING.
because you dont expect them to know shit
it's not as sad yet that they know so little
in fact the content in each grade seems to remain almost unchanged, making it sadder every year that they can't handle it, especially when they inexplicably could a decade back

You've never had to teach a grade 2 student that doesn't listen, due to the fact that her mom drops him off at school late every other day because she doesn't want to set an alarm, and doesn't care what he does all day so long as it doesn't bother her.

Or that grade 4 student whose mom told the grade 4 teacher "Don't mind if he calls you a bitch, he calls me one too, it's alright." The teacher's comeback was glorious.
>"Well you may be, but I most certainly am not."
When the parent confronted the principal about the comment, he stood up for the teacher saying that the child's behaviour was inexcusable and a direct result of parenting.

I love Trent's voice actor talking about how Trent's evolution is basically...

Lower. And Slower.

youtube.com/watch?v=vHO_DhLeQr8

>i think i'm fucking awesome

And very humble too.

yeah but see, yeah. the principal and whatever. what you said
i'm just saying dimartino wouldn't have his issue where kevin's fucking stupid and it frustrates him and he gets a free ride because football
it'd be like oh well he doesnt get this shit but whatever he'll be in school for many more years, whatever
in dimartino's case it devastates him that this guy is nearing the END of his education and is still unteachable

he only did that one voice, too. most of the others did multiple parts
and he never appeared in anything else ever
yes, that too. humility is knowing you're awesome and not valuing yourself any higher than others despite that.

whereas whenever he talked to kids, like in that camp, he kinda understood them. their honesty and readiness to just openly express when they feel shitty and frustrated. he fucking iDENTIFIES with them

>it'd be like oh well he doesnt get this shit but whatever he'll be in school for many more years
That's not how education works.

The most frustrating part is grade 7-8 kids being stupid to be funny or avoid work, not realizing that if they keep it up, they will become stupid.

>They hit grade 10 and do not understand how metric works because they were too busy being "funny"

Kevin just needed to apply himself, something he was never forced to do. ANd by the time he grade 12, he was in classes that without tutoring or special attention AND applying yourself, you couldn't succeed.

Gotta bring back holding kids back, but unfortunately that has a bunch of unintended consequences too.

>7th-8th graders
maybe so. but earlier than that, and i think Mr. D'd be better off.

bump

i just want to hug daria and tell her everything will be alright
and i like her just the way she is

this episode fucked me up honestly

>the one where she works at the nut hut has me rolling most of the time
The scene where Tiffany tries to tell Daria about making friends is probably the funniest one in the entire series.

I think one of my favorite lines is when Kevin says, "It's not as S&M thing, Mrs. B" when they're at the Mall of the Millennium for that field trip

his stupidity in the earlier seasons is pretty great

>you... tooo.. can learn to... make....
yes-
>friends
>making.. friends... iiis..
fun?
interesting?
impossible?
>important
>Friends.. can be... very...
useful?
supportive?
PURPLE?
what!?!
>Making friends... iiiis... important..

and hey, in the process of looking that quote up, i found out mtv.com has the show.. you can just watch it. i wonder if the music is intact

> i wonder if the music is intact
it's not. it isn't on the DVDs either. I do have some episode from season one and two that I torrented that have the original audio restored though

funny because as i understand the bullshit lawyershenanigans that made them extrapolate 'tv and vhs rights don't equal DVD rights' would not apply to free internet release

not cartoon but still

I don't get it either honestly.

it's entirely possible they simply dont HAVE the originals any more, or they didnt bother to refine the audio of the originals to go with the presumably cleaned-up footage they put on the DVDs

>you will never comfort Daria while in a box together

I have fantasized about this many a time
hands go wandering
i discover she isn't into underwear or shaving either
we both appreciate how natural we smell.
awkward kissing and handys occur

Someone explain to me the weird fascination
I am genuinely curious

weird fascination with being cozy and intimate with a cute girl with a personality similar to ours?

True I guess?

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2AD5E2C91CABAD928D0AC7FDD579EEA63BB33B50&dn=daria+restoration+project+tv+complete&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

>the Daria thread

I always liked the little bits here and there where the Morgendorfers showed how much they really did care about each other. Like when Daria and Quinn had a moment, or when Helen did something cool for Daria.

Jake seemed to barely get any of these moments. I guess that's to be expected, poor guy was the only penis in the house.

I want season 5 Quinn with the smiley face shirt or Daria's clothes.

What show is this?

Quinn

Is that a pore?

yeah the morgendorffers were great. i always appreciate it when a show remembers that a genuine elite has an elite family, usually.* even if they don't show it. i resonated with that HARD. my parents did what it took to fit in and make money and support us, but on the inside they were people like me, to the max. and my sister was being a dumb teenager but she had tons of hidden depth
at least jake was funny as fuck, even if he didn't get to grow much. his problems were sort of simultaneously shallow and deep. you know he'll feel better the very second he gets to retire and/or gets a less stressful job.
*worst example i can think of is the huxtables. i realize it makes for good conflict, but you don't have two fantastically successful and intelligent parents and then have a gaggle of disrespectful, shiftless, D-grade-gettin' sitcom kids. except the oldest, who was fine.

she didnt wear that shirt in season 5?
she was somehow 'season 5 quinn' in season 5 but not in the others? was there a change in her character model i didn't notice? shirt aside?

I don't remember if she ever wore this shirt again.

Southside or something like that. Some of the same people who made that also did Megas XLR and Metalocolpyes.

i honestly never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out, but now i can't stop noticing it.

I fucking adore this artist. hasnt changed one iota in years. seriously amateur in some ways, yet genuinely appealing aesthetic at all times.

user, serious question and not at all trying to keep you down or anything, did you ever actually did something that qualified you as "better than the shitty masses"?
I ask because I was a complicated "gifted" kid with an alternative view on most things.
One day my mother became an alcoholic and I left home, got married and right now I'm living on a shitty rented home working a blue collar job. I come home to drink beer and watch sports with the other tenants, all of whom have limited education and equally "shitty" jobs but here's the weird thing: I've never felt happier.
I finally feel normal. I don't need to be special or magnificent at anything. No one expects me to cure cancer with my gifted intellect or do anything.
What I'm asking is whether you truly feel distanced of the masses due to being actually exceptional or just because you've been categorized as different?

doing things is for people with something to prove
actually it never occurred to me that i even could do shit. i had a very.. grounded and realistic sense of my own potential accomplishments. i knew i couldnt go to the moon, couldnt be president, couldnt make my own cartoons.. so i just did a whole lot of nothing and tried to shrink the gaps between time spent watching tv / reading / drawing / etc. escapism was pretty much the focus.
funny how it still is, but what i'm escaping now is how much i've wasted my life

still rather be me than you though. glad you're enjoying it but that aint for me.

wow most of that didn't come out right at all
i guess what i mean is my brain's addicted to interesting input, and always will be. and even though i've burnt out on being able to work and have had to move into mom's basement at 30 after a decently successful office job career because i straight up can't work anymore, i still feel good as long as i have more tv to watch and more drawings to do, stories to tell, that kinda shit. i would be fucking miserable in your shoes. and yeah i'm lonely, but i feel just as lonely surrounded by people without a thought in their head beyond the next mindless sports play, who consume beer to keep it that way

and really most of the reason i burned out was a severe breakdown of my endocrine system accompanied by sudden and drastic worsening of my congenital cataracts. couldve happened to anyone.

I am, I've found that hard shitty works are the diametrical opposite of escapism.
They're all about actually doing shit. I sort electronics, so when Intake a fucking toaster or a printer and chuck it in a dumpster, I did it through effort. And somehow it feels a thousand times more meaningful than watching a million CGI buildings explode.
You feel me?

U and I, dude

i understand the value and satisfaction of hard work, absolutely
it just sucks i get bored so easily. the satisfaction lowers every time i do it. i could never do any job that's the same thing every day, and yet i get crippling anxiety if anything about my job changes, because i need to know exactly what's going to be expected of me, and that I can definitely do it without thinking conciously about it... i guess because i know my conciousness is going to wander, shut off randomly, need recharging...
fuck i'm writing this down, my therapist will like this

oh and this is why i'm a voiceover guy (just an out of work one). because it's never the same thing twice, always reading something different. but the ACT of reading (with various inflections or whatever) is fucking easy and i know i can do it on autopilot in my sleep. and while i have a little anxiety about my ACTING chops not quite being up to snuff (and i don't improvise period), most of the biz is commercial stuff.. and in the meantime, i have faith and confidence that my acting ability can improve / become more second nature.

What do people outside of America think of Daria?

I personally felt there was always a culture barrier. But I was still able to relate to a lot of the characters. Although the more depressing/political episodes were kinda were hit and miss.

Fuck man, too bad.
In defense of your lifestyle I probably could've taken a carpentry workshop or something instead of burning my suburban upper middle class life.

Most of the people I'm surrounded by have no other choice. Some could try to escape "the struggle" but they lack the financial education, working habits and just general smartness to keep a business afloat.

Why I chose to talk about this was because experiencing the lifestyle of "the masses" makes me believe that their experiences can be much more powerful than those of people with the luxury of watching movies and art every day. They just lack the language skills and time to convey them.

If you can, I invite you to take up some hobby that leaves your hands sore and that if you do it often, it'll leave them calloused. It might give you arthritis but fuck it.
I've found that when you do these things it's very hard to get bored.

I'm from a third world shithole

I just like the show

People who could watch Daria usually had cable TV which is mostly dubbed and subbed American shows, so the references to how disgusting and mockable mainstream media is were there.

Yeah, weirdly South Park is more #relatable.

It's called Downtown. It was on for 1 season on MTV. It was excellent and died too soon.

bretty gud
I don't really find a cultural barrier but that's probably because I was raised in an East-meets-West sort of place. Though I kind of have to agree with you on the last part.

Did 3 months of student teaching in an elementary school, never drank harder in my life.

I cried.

>tfw you when never see a female fiction character as perfect as Jen from Downtown.

She was the waifu supreme and that show was like nothing else before or after it. The director's commentary on the DVD was fucking amazing as well.

One day I will create a British version of Downtown set in London. It's the only city on Earth like NYC, multi-ethnically.

>multi-ethnically.
> London

I meant that NYC and London are just about the only two cities where you can find citizens of every nation on Earth.

google.co.uk/#q=Alpha++ cities

Was Jen supposed to be Asian or Native American?

He's a fucking joke. Posts his work all over the place as if it's good and gets pissy when nobody likes it. The kicker is he's 40 and I've seen work on deviantART by teenagers that looks a million times better.

It's still regularly shown on UK television