Ask a Mexican anything

Ask a Mexican anything

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/11/23/564049914/why-child-marriage-persists-in-mexico
youtu.be/vFu5MHV2vHo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How are you celebrating your Christmas?

I went to visit some family yesterday and had a great dinner
I will visit other family members today and hopefully have a good meal

do you feel odd associated with the other hundred million mexicans?

canada seems to big to have a nationality, I'd feel worse as a mexican

I don't feel odd. But I don't really follow your train of thought. Why would the size of Canada matter?

Sounds comfy, Merry Christmas mexibro.

Merry Christmas to you too my friend.

hi desu,Merry Christmas

Feliz navidad

is mexico THAT insecure? i want to do a trip to CDMX for a month, but i'm afraid to get killed by a cartel or some shit like that... i'm not kidding, i don't have any mexican friend and i do really want to do a trip to mexico.

Yes, it has insecurity as every latinamerican country... but is THAT insecure?

The only really dangerous part of Mexico is the northern part near the US border

Sure? i tought the south was dangerous because of central america, and the north were safest because mexican there are americanized (Enyanquisados) or shit like that...

because how people act 4-5000km away is different than people do on the other side of the county

south is dangerous in the sense of local towns set up roadblocks and shake down tourists
north is dangerous because of cartels fighting

Going to Mexico in a few weeks, where are the best tacos?

The northern part is where the drug trafficking is most concentrated so the cartels are strongest. Idk much about the south desu there might be areas there that you should avoid. But you'll be fine in Mexico City as long as you avoid obvious bad neighborhoods.

Mexico is VERY insecure, yes. But the media does overblown things a lot. Tourists are generally very safe as touristic zones tend to be heavily guarded and isolated from the violence and cartels usually don't go around killing everyone they see, but rather, people who mess with them. Although incidents do happen statistically speaking, as over 30 million people visit us every year, the majority of which leave the country just fine.

Mexico City is one of the states that has been the less impacted by the Drug War, tho, so you would be fine there. Even if the City does have insecure neighbourhoods.

Not necessarily

The Yucatan peninsula and Chiapas (both border Central America) are among the safest states in the country. And border towns in the North are very unsafe. But there are states like Michoacan and Guerrero (in the South) that are incredibly dangerous, yes.

It's complicated. Violence is spread out.

Depends, but Mexico City in general desu

noice, i can't wait to be there and eat some tacos al pastor.

thanks dude, i can't wait to visit cdmx

You should try tacos of "barbacoa", "cochinita pibil", "carnitas" and "suadero" too if you ever come here. In that order.

got it! thanks! cochinita is pork? also, are tacos cheap as fuck right?

Cochinita is pork, yes, but pibil means it is marinated in citric juices and "achiote" sauce (some plant).

And yes, they are usually very cheap.

>because how people act 4-5000km away is different than people do on the other side of the county
Maybe but we all have a lot of things in common. I fit in just fine in every state I have ever been.

Don't most people in Canada all live close the American border? I don't know, Canada just seems very empty to me for the size to matter that much

I can kind of understand why Mexico would be insecure. They neither fit in with South Americans or the rest of North America.

One fact that just kind of blows my mind and feel a bit sad is that the Mexico’s closest ally is basically the US. They’re way down our list in who we view as our closest allies.

Historically speaking, the US has not been seen as an ally at all until very recently. And in my experience, other Latin Americans feel very familiar in Mexico when they visit and I didn't have any problems when I went to Colombia.

we're like 5 countries sharing one
even though vancouver-seattle are closer than toronto-vancouver, toronto has buffalo which it's closer too

We have fought more wars against our actual top ally (The UK) than Mexico.

Also historically one of our best and first long term allies was Russia. A lot of people don’t realize the US and Russia were on very good terms until the Cold War. Even during WW2, we were supporting the Soviets with munitions. FDR and Stalin were BFFs.

What I mean is that until very recently, anti-American rhetoric was the cool thing to do for out politicians. And the general population has always felt very distrustful of the US. The sole announcement of NAFTA draw some people up in arms against the state in Chiapas. It wasn't until Obama that people really started to be more open minded about you, and things are obviously reverting back now that Trump literally started his campaign calling Mexican rapists.

Do you guys get snow up in the mountains every year?

Yeah, some mountains even used to have perpetual snow year-round. forming some sort of glaciers at the top. But they are starting to melt.

Northern states see snowfall every once in while outside of mountain ranges. Some places in the North reach -15-20°C every year.

Even Mexico City used to see snowfal several times a decade due to the Lake Snow effect until it was drained in the 60's.

Age limit of marriage

npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/11/23/564049914/why-child-marriage-persists-in-mexico

Varies by state. The General Law on the Rights of Children and Adolescents 2014 establishes 18 years as the general age of marriage, but allows girls to marry at 14 and boys at 16 with parental consent. At state level, as of May 2017, 22 states have made marriage before 18 illegal, while another ten allow it under certain circumstances.

What is taco filling made of

What do you think of my country?

Everything
But generally: either pork, beef or goat meat, with chopped onion, coriander and different types of sauces

Better Australia

Fuck I forgot, and lime

thanks

Is the American movie''Sicario'' an accurate depiction of Mexico ?

Parts of the movie are accurate depictions of some aspects of certain regions of the country, yes. Some of other parts are highly exaggerated Hollywood tropes. And the whole CIA plot where they are trying to return power to Colombian cartels as they were "easier" to control was downright retarded.

Mexico is much more than what the American media tries to shove down everyone's throats.

What your toughts on:
youtu.be/vFu5MHV2vHo
??????????

my dads bolivian and my mom is irish would i fit in mexico

Not a fan

Do you speak Spanish?
If the answer is yes, then yes, if the answer is no, then no.

barely

Is the usage of the''orange filter'' in American movies depicting mexico accurate ?

Yes

keeeewwll

Are you going to emigrate?

How do you celebrate The Day of the Dead?

1. I don't think so
2. Lot's of "pan de muerto", family reunions, decorations with cempasúchil flowers, pics of family members that passed and the things they liked while they were alive (food, cigars, etc.)

Can you understand portuguese?

Only when it's written, like 99% of it, aside from 1 or 2 words here and there that look weird. Spoken not some much.

Also does it snow in mexico? Or at least where you live

It does, and it snows in hometown sometimes (this year it did) but it hasn't snowed in the place I currently live in 50 years.

Stop sending your own kind over the wall!

1. It's not something I can control
2. Our politicians don't care
3. Americans are the ones who have a demand for low skilled labour, whether they admit it or not, and whether they like it or not.
4. Mexican migration to the US not only has stopped, but has been in fact in reverse (from the US towards Mexico) for the last decade
5. Mexico is currently doing the US dirty work by deporting over 90% of the Central Americans who are headed into the US under their command