Why did David help them?

the bastard could have had them trapped with the Alien easily and watched them being slaughtered on live television

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wK8kK4hY6PA
avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/deleted-scenes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He wanted to preserve their bodies to experiment on and refine the Xeno into what we see in later movies.

This scene was dumb because it basically spoils that Walter is David, when he almost starts to jerk off looking at the xenomorph

Anyone who didn't guess the twist right away probably didn't notice that either

The part where they cut away from Walter and David's fight rather than showing us the ending gave it away already.

Yeah, the cut was a heavy giveaway, but I was honestly expecting a better tweest. Some funny shit like Walter secretly smuggling David's severed head on the ship would've been better.

That would've been a nonsensical and restarted twist for a twists sake.

There is 2000 people on this ship, he doesn't need the extra crew members

I think he has fallen 'in love' with Daniels the way he claims to have loved Shaw from Prometheus and wants to use her body especially.

I think he wanted to not give away his identity too soon. If they somehow managed to kill the Xeno on their own then they would have come after David. Also maybe he wanted to see just how perfect the Xeno was, clearly not that perfect if it was killed by a Redneck and a Dyke.

He saw it as a numbers game. If the Xeno killed them, what's stopping it from getting the other 2000 passengers or destroying a vital part of the ship. What's one Xeno when you could potentially have 2000 more?

He probably also didn't want to risk the Xeno not obeying him or trying to kill him. Maybe he grew attached to Daniels as he did with Shaw seeing as Walter liked her.

How the fuck did the alien know what a camera was, and how to attack it so david couldn't see him?

How did Daniels know it was him toward the end,seems like she said "Can you help me build my cabin" & then had a sudden revelation

Because David had no clue what the hell she was talking about.

Walter would have known that Daniels was planning to build a cabin, especially since the wasted the resources to load a ton of fucking WOOD into the covenant ship.

She talked about building a cabin with Walter. When she brings it up to David he reacts like he doesn't know what shes talking about.
You fucking idiot.

I've come to realize that a lot of the problems that people seem to have with Prometheus and Covenant are from simply not paying attention to the details or even the things characters say.

Prometheus and Covenant are both pretty straightforward movies although to be fair the plot is often times advanced by the sheer stupidity of the characters.

I agree 100%, though Prometheus has some really stupid character shit in it that still bothers me. I don't think it was as big an issue in Covenant, but it was still there to be sure.

t. brain embryos.

My biggest issue with Prometheus is the fucking Geologist and Biologist characters.

Like what the hell, you're a fucking geologist. You should be used to being in dark caves and mapping unknown terrain. Why the fuck can't you find your way or calm the fuck down.

And the fucking Biologist. You're supposed to be able to detect aggression signs on animals. That snake like xeno was showing prime signs that it didn't want to get fucked with. Like most snakes on our planet. I know they're another species but there are some baselines that you should be able to follow.

I guess somebody needed to get killed I suppose.

>but it shits all over the established """canon""" of AVP, which we all know is the best alien movie

>IF DAVID MADE XENOS IN 2179 HOW WERE THERE PREDATORS FIGHTING XENOS ON EARTH FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS

AVP already shits all over the real canon because if xenomorphs were already on earth for thousands of years, why would anybody give a shit if one xenomorph landed on earth in Alien Resurrection?

I agree, although I think people overstate the characters' stupidity. People don't really perform well under extreme stress in real life; if anything, movies have conditioned moviegoers to expect unrealistic, hyper-competent characters.

Funnily enough, in a deleted prometheus scene the crew encounters similar sneks first who are perfectly cool with humans prancing around them.
Fuck knows why they deleted that

He was observing how his creation hunts. Looking for weaknesses and ways to improve it.

Yeah pretty much. This fanbase is absolute cancer so it's no surprise they bitch and moan about every little detail.

Because Ridley Scott, by his own admission, shoots an movie he loves that's 2.5 hours long, and then he sits and cuts the movie down to 2 hours.

Not all geologists work in the field. And ethologists, not biologists, are trained in animal behavior.

4,5 hours more like

I forgot about that. Either way, you shouldn't treat all species as the same or a different situation the same.

Let's say that all the movies are canon with each other. That means there is some time travel fuckery.

>why would anybody give a shit if one xenomorph landed on earth in Alien Resurrection?

1. Both sites where Xenos appeared got destroyed.
2. All the information retained by Weyland and Yutani Corporations.
3. So as it concerns 99% of the population knows nothing about the Xenomorphs or the Predator species.
4. A potential unwanted outbreak of the Xenos on Earth could prove catastrophic for the seat of the human civilization that is Earth on 2179

For those reasons, yes it would be a huge deal if one or more Xenos got loose on Earth.

>For those reasons, yes it would be a huge deal if one or more Xenos got loose on Earth.

Seems like the predators would have a way to monitor that shit in case one of the eggs hatched before they were ready for a hunt

Not really. We know nothing about what the Predators where up to on the year 2434 or after the events of AVP 2. They could have found another Planet to host their games after the disaster that happened on Earth. Even if they are still hunting Humans and Xenos on Earth, how would they monitor Eggs from a Xeno that came out of Ripley in a secured high security research facility off in space?

If the AVP shit was canon, which I'm only entertaining the idea because I'm bored then it would still make sense. Just add time travel and the fact both sites got destroyed and all information about the event kept secret by Weyland and Yutani.

Adding time travel to a story thats not explicitly about time travel to begin with is the ultimate form of jumping the shark.

Gary, is that you?

All they fucking needed to do was show them go "oh look that's pretty neat" and try to keep their distance, but have the snake thing continually and aggressively creep closer to them as they try to back off, until one of them tries to scare it off and it attacks.
All they fucking needed to do.

"muh AVP canon" is a retarded strawman. Literally never see this as a legitimate criticism, everybody knows AVP isn't canon. You're arguing against nobody so what's your point?

I'm nobody and you're arguing against me, so what's YOUR point?

well what's ripley think of the first one?

lol

Because those twenty minutes of xenomorph action were just shoved in for trailer footage.

youtu.be/wK8kK4hY6PA
then we couldn't remake the end of alien again

avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/deleted-scenes/

I also would have preferred they keep the scene where they find the skin of the sneks prior to finding them, it would have helped build some tension.

I'm undecided about the cut Fifield scene where he looks more like a xeno. I think it probably makes more sense but I like how we're not really sure what the hell he's turning into in the final cut.

Which of these scenes would you anons have liked to have seen in the film?

Well let's be honest here: we as the audience already know that the humans should have never fucked with anything to do with Xenos, so I think that makes it harder for us to forgive 'stupid decisions

Their stupid because we know what the Xenomorph is all about. Funny no one gives Alien or Aliens shit for the crew being stupid.

Does anyone have a link?

You were skipping around on a cam copy huh? They chatted about the cabin a couple of times in the movie.

... so why the fuck would you bring such a geologist to a field expedition? stfu

Covenant easily takes the cake for the dumbest crew in the franchise so far
>movie begins with them hilariously losing James Franco in fire
>they willingly endanger lives of 2000 colonists to investigate some dumb planet, there's not even a bonus situation
>their captain is an insane christian
>they don't use hazmat suits
>leave crewmembers behind
>they step on alien spores and just shrug it off
>they don't use scanner thingies from Prometheus to scout ahead
>they blow up their own ships
>"You want me to look straight into this swirling egg-looking thing, Mr. Trustworthy Robot? I sure would love to!"
>their space ship is designed to give full control to random androids despite having functional AI

>movie begins with them hilariously losing James Franco in fire
Somehow they thought it was a spendid idea to suspend their hypersleep chambers from fucking coat hangers on a rack, pump in pure oxygen gas, and build them harder to break into than a bank vault.

To be fair, the captain was james franco who is now dead, so this guy was never meant to be a captain. It's still bad writing, though.

>there's not even a bonus situation

kek

There was a screen next to the camera showing who is on the other side, watching, When the Xeno attacked the camera, David seemed surprised

>Movie begins with them hilariously losing James Franco in fire
I don't see what the big deal is. Shit happens.
>they willingly endanger lives of 2000 colonists to investigate some dumb planet, there's not even a bonus situation
The one guy scans the planet and says it looks better in every way than was predicted for their destination planet, I don't see why this is such a big deal.
He wasn't even the captain, Franco was, and it's stated through dialogue that he was kept from being a captain because he couldn't make effective enough decisions.
>they don't use hazmat suits
Why would they? They're there to colonize and the computer told them it was habitable, if there's pathogens they need to start getting their immune systems use to that shit stat and starting learning how to deal with the illness that appear on the planet. They have to face it eventually, they're not going to be wearing space suits for the rest of their lives.
>leave crew members behind
They all had jobs to do, the chick had to check out the ship after they landed and the other to were doing science shit or something.
>they step on alien spores and just shrug it off
I don't think the characters could actually see the spores, or if they could it just looked like dust.
>they don't use scanner thingies from Prometheus to scout ahead
Fair enough.
>they blow up their own ships
Fair enough.
>"You want me to look straight into this swirling egg-looking thing, Mr. Trustworthy Robot? I sure would love to!"
I don't see why this is such a big deal. They've never seen alien eggs before, nobody cares that Kane did essentially the same thing.
>their space ship is designed to give full control to random androids despite having functional AI
David had a WY security code.

Prometheus
>extraordinary survival instincts, Shaw
As others said, he's probably perfecting them. The xenos we saw in AC where very animalistic.

Good reminder that at least 70% of the people posting in these threads have barely even seen the movie.

Or they half-watched it while playing DOTA 2 at the same time or something like that.

>Why would they?
The movie literally happens only because they didn't.

What Alien movie didn't have stupid people reacting stupidly to advance a story?

They didn't even xray the first guy to get facehugged in Alien or have him feel an alien of that size growing inside him. Why would he be so hungry with an alien inside? it would have pushed against your stomach and bladder to make you feel full
Why did they wear masks with an unattached breathing tube when inspecting the facehugger?

Ash was intentionally hiding the Alien from the others.

It might be because the xenomorph attacked his image. Also, he has to kill people indirectly.

Like the guy said they would have to live their eventually and besides people trust technology very quickly. If I lived in a world with advanced AI I probably would not care about some random microbes the ship had already vetted either.

LET'S NOT WEAR HELMETS ON THIS ALIEN PLANET LOL ITS PROBABLY FINE

In all likelihood they would've noped the fuck outta this planet - it has crashlanded alien ships, giant temple full of incinerated bodies and complete lack of fauna

I don't think humans of that century possess our fear of microbes. Imagine growing up in a world were no one ever dies of disease or gets sick.

>they would've noped the fuck outta this planet
No way. They have weapons, training, and advanced technology. People have died fighting for small patches of land here on earth. Giving up a whole world because it's spooky would be very cowardly.

Scott and Hollywood made 2 dressed up slasher flicks.

Alien was called dismissed by critics as Halloween in space when it came out.
Aliens to was also dismissed as a fun house ride when it came out. Ebert gave both movies like 2 stars on release.

I thought Ebert said it was the next magnum ops of horror?

That was a retrospective re-review from years later.

And this is why I take most surface level analysis on Sup Forums with a grain of salt

assuming you are correct, that still doesn't explain why there's two different Mr. Weyland characters. Charles Weyland founded the company according to AVP, but Peter Weyland founded it according to Prometheus. so yeah, there's either some Time Travel Fuckery® or AVP isn't part of the timeline.

Egg/Facehugger is more efficient than spores?

Vertigo was shat on when it released. Shawshank Redemption was treated as "yeah, it's good I suppose" on release.

Alot of movies that are now highly praised did not get universal praise when released.

This was like 10 years after prometheus where they wore environment suits...

That's because the atmosphere of that planet wasn't survivable for more than like 2 minutes outside the engineer ship.

i asked in the other thread, but should i watch the director's cut of alien 3 first, or start with the theatrical?

Shawshank was nominated for multiple academy awards

>or AVP isn't part of the timeline.
No shit it isn't part of the timeline. Scott only considers Alien, Prometheus and Covenant canon.

>Scott only considers Alien, Prometheus and Covenant canon.

What a garbage move as director.

>takes the cake
The phrase is "bakes the cake" you fucking idiot.

Does he really not consider Aliens or Alien 3 canon? I can understand ignoring Alien: Resurrection.

It seems only "HIS" movies are canon.

But then again FOX wanted Colonial Marines to be canonical.

It was kinda dumb that David didn't just reply 'Yes, of course' to that in the first place.
If they were trying to show she was kind of suspecting something, she should've asked 'Will you help me build my cabin in the mountains?' to see if he'd get it.

Also nice 3s.

Well I guess since O'Bannon died and he's now made the most movies in the franchise I guess it gets to be his call if it's anyone's call at all, like it or not.

that sounds too much like asking for wolfie.

>retards like this are the type of people criticizing Scott

I wonder how he feels about the AvP series.

And you're stupid because you don't know the difference between their and they're. Kill yourself and never watch another movie again.

he was testing his creation

I wonder if he even ever bothered to watch them at all, I mean he must be a busy fucking guy. He probably just skipped them and got someone to give him the cliff notes if wanted to know if they were worthwhile.
I personally regard them with Alien: Resurrection as essentially being fan fiction tier.

Resurrection was a mocking piece of fan service that knew how hammy it was. But it was also just a bad movie. Thankfully it has no impact on the timeline, as late as it is.

But Ridley is making some pretty bad movies; on the same level as Star Wars Prequel bad.

Just skip it altogether.

Because it would fuck up the whole ship while he tries to do his experiments.

He couldn't control the Xenomorph. I was honestly hoping that the movie would end with Mother recognizing David.

>The Engineer Speaks [4:06]
Should have made the final cut. This explains so much.

Some films grow in stature over time, others burn bright then are forgotten as the zeitgeist changes.

Who's to blame? The editor(s)? Director? Studio pressure? Why the fuck did that scene not make the cut....

that scene is terrible.

I'd say studio pressure to keep it approximately two hours and Scott's willingness to comply is to blame. Same with Alien: Covenant, supposedly like 20 minutes was cut from the movie.

But it gave more exposition on the Engineers, which was the entire fucking point of the movie

>Prometheus
>have to watch deleted scenes to get the engineers' motivations

>Covenant
>have to watch interviews with the director to get David's motivations

Not him, but what? The Engineer just asks why they came.

Am I missing something?

He had like 1 line then it's back to going apeshit

David's motivation is curiosity and resentment, I assumed. Does it go deeper?