So what happened to him?

everyone hated him until he died from it

Character assassination.
Followed by actual assassination

He was so right, that he died

There are two types of Cyclops haters

People who love hating him

And people who actually hate him, and want him gone

The same thing that made Thor Odinson unworthy of his own hammer.

He got the Phoenix again without turning evil and tried to kill Doom during Secret Wars, but Doom killed him instead. Now there's just Teen Cyclops and some kind of monster clone thing.

God dammit.

Became the Stannis of Marvel.

most of the Secrets Wars deaths got undid. Cyke included.

As far as I know he hasn't been seen.

he was killed off panel flinging shit at the Inhumans

He's should be given a new power set
He should be like superman along with his brother havoc

He wasnt as popular to begin with unlike wolverine I bet people like Gambit or Storm more.

They killed him off in favor of the Inhumans and blackbolt

They killed cyclops off panel. Fucking Bendis

Like Ultimate Cyclops when he uses MGH?

Marvel tried to make him a villain, failed, caused a massive surge in popularity for him, and then argued with each other internally about whether he was a hero or a villain. He was then put into the hands of a writer who, while already being generally unable to move a plot forward in any capacity, kept getting interrupted by event after event until finally throwing his hands up and giving up.

Then Marvel's executives, who have no incentive to make money off their comics because they're more valuable as an IP asset than a money sink as a publishing company, got the idea into their heads that the comics drive box office sales (they don't) and began trying to bury the X-Men franchise because the movie rights don't belong to them and they keep printing money for a rival studio think that it would somehow make the movies less profitable (it won't) and allow them to buy back the rights (they won't).

As a result, Cyclops has been unceremoniously killed off-panel for the time being until any sort of agreement can be made about how to utilize him properly in the future, which may never happen because they couldn't even agree on what to do about him when they WERE using him.

Bendis has a new thing where he leaves interesting plot points in the air forever, only ever alluding to them, because he can't write a satisfactory resolution.

can he write a satisfactory anything these days?

Satisfactory? Bendis?

Honestly, I think he can. He does write the teenage hero archetype well. The problem is that's all he's got, so he writes everyone like a snarky teenager.

Okay, can somebody fill me in on what stories to check out where Marvel tried to make him a villain and accidentally started his popularity?

I've been hearing the "Cyclops was right" meme for a long while now, and I really want to see exactly what he was right about.

He can do snarky teen and street level comics. He cannot do superhero icons and world saving stories for the life of him

That's what people say for his street level heroes and I yet have to see fan of Moon Knight who loved Bendis' issues.

avx mainly? its pretty shit though

He was victim of the classic "writers/editorial push one thing, readers absolutely do not buy into it and actually think the opposite" that's happened a bunch of times.

What's surprising is how bloody-minded they've been about it in Cyclops case. Usually they fold to readers wishes, in his case they doubled down. I'm seriously curious as to who is the one pushing it so hard, the only thing for sure is that it isn't Bendis.

Sup Forums Bendis meme aside, his X-Men run is one of the more editorially compromised I can think of in recent times. I don't blame him for this stuff.

Phoenix Force came to Earth. Cyclops, very reasonably, thought it could be controlled and would bring life back to the mutant population.

Bearing in mind the only time the Phoenix ever went 'dark' was due to Mastermind fucking with it, so he had prior precedent on his side.

But the Avengers just decided fuck the muties, invaded a sovereign state, and a lot of X-Men jobbed unreasonably hard.

Long story short, the Phoenix worked, Cap was wrong

>Sup Forums Bendis meme aside, his X-Men run is one of the more editorially compromised I can think of in recent times. I don't blame him for this stuff.
First few issues were OK but run went off the rails soon after that.
And I wonder was he one who came up with idea of O5 or not.

They tried to paint him as the 'bad' side in the Schism too before that.

Messiah Complex through the end of Gillen's Uncanny X-Men run was where the foundation was set, with Schism especially trying to lean more in the "Wolverine good, Cyclops bad" direction.

AvX in its entirety is where Marvel tried to put Scott in the Civil War Stark position and then bungled it entirely, having him and the X-Men bring about world peace while the Avengers continually poke them with a stick until the writers just went "Fuck it, Cyclops is Dark Phoenix now."

The end result is the Avengers looking like stupid assholes the whole time while Cyclops was, in fact, right about the Phoenix Force undoing M-Day.

Yeah, to his credit, Bendis was the one who stayed pretty resolute about Cyclops still being a hero.

It was pretty clear he and Remender were quite openly at odds about the whole situation, too. The whole bit in ANXM where Kitty gave a whole monologue about about why Havok's "just call me Alex" speech was fucking stupid was a huge call out on Bendis' part.

In the Schism, Cyclops was the harder edged pragmatist versus Wolverine as the idealist. The implication was Scott being the Magneto while Wolverine was the Professor X. Wolverine being the 'good' guy is compromised by his opposition to Scott's choices varying from naive to absurdly antagonistic for no reason. Scott's "hard choices". At one point Logan has a meltdown over Scott making a choice that results in the X-Men's main team of heavy hitters not being murdered.

In AVX, it constantly tried to paint Scott and the X-Men as villainous while... they did nothing but act in the worlds best interests as the Avengers constantly antagonize and provoke them, and escalate the conflict for the worse at every turn. The story ends with Scott, literally, being proven right.

>In AVX, it constantly tried to paint Scott and the X-Men as villainous while... they did nothing but act in the worlds best interests as the Avengers constantly antagonize and provoke them, and escalate the conflict for the worse at every turn.
Best scene is when Illuminati gather to see what to do with P5 and Reed is, like, I don't give a fuck, they're doing good work.

Did something terminally stupid but got him killed this time.

Marvel didn't try to make him a villian, They didn't commit character assassination, They didn't kill him off because they had written themselves into a corner.
And Bendis is actually not to blame this time.
In fact, MARK MY WORDS HERE: the reason Scott Summers faked his own death is the same reason he murdered Professor Xavier.
Every all the angst-ridden, self-isolating, seemingly self-destructive behavior of Summer's since then has been in a logical progression in keeping with a narrative subtext peppered throughout the X-Men books for some time now.
They knew what they were doing with Cyclops ever since Grant Morrison (not Bendis) came up with an idea well over a decade ago.
Marvel is really good at setting up long storylines.
And when this twist hits I know almost all of you will react with childish outrage, rejection, and denial. You will make claims of it being a sloppy half-worked-out uncharacteristic bastardization of who Cyclops is, that Bendis "obviously" came up with on a lark, it will not be.
When all that happens do remember just one other thing: I told you so.

He was so right, he left

>Marvel is really good at setting up long storylines.
When was the last time they demonstrated this, when writers left?

You know, I'd buy fuck out of book with him being All New Starjammer.
Even if it leads to inevitable GotG crossover.

That would be wicked, I would buy that too.
Also: I do not know why Babyclops didn't stay in space, Earth has been nothing but misery for everyone in the Summers family.

>83467386
He was so overwhelming right that Authors intent twisted around that fact forever making him not wrong.

Baffled and terrified Marvel had to kill him off page because its the only way he could be wrong. Considering what a pack of dicks the Inhumans are and that the characters shit talking Cyke were doing it before means he's probably still right

Right? Babyclops had fun, now he's completely wasted in All-New O5.
Just take all Starjammers, add Cyclops, Havok and dozen of mutant babes and call it a day.

I'm actually starting to come around to hating Inhumans as much as the rest of Sup Forums, I've been giving the books a chance (good art) but the facts that they're an alien population displacing and killing another people, they claim sovereignty over all new Inhumans across Earth, have an alien arsenal of secret technologically advanced civilizations, and still want to think of this mass global level alien infiltration of Earth culture, biology, environment, and govenment as a good thing makes me want to go to war.

When are those Kree going to show up to kill off all the Newhumans in the Kree/Inhuman War? I'm getting impatient.

Fuck that blonde traitor. You know he's evil, right?

>Kree
Buttfucked to oblivion by Beast, Angel and Gamora.

I like the Inhumans, I just don't think the Slave Owning Super Monarchy is a good fit for a traditional hero role.

Can anyone ITT actually explain to me why forcing the x-gene back into human dna through phoenix magic was the morally right thing to do?

Hey, for all I know, he's working in orphanage now.
They don't have slaves anymore, that guy who Alpha Flighted Chinese superteam has team, iirc.

Pfft! One measley little planet gets worked over a little by three temp-gods and the Kree are supposed to call it quits?
Have you forgotten all those interdimentional Kree out there in the multiverse? They are an industrious war-monger civilization of mutate warriors. I'm sure they can still cobble together a space armada invasion or two.

Mutants were on the brink of extinction

magically bringing back the X-Gene was one of the few ways to avoid that

a strong mutant population is necessary for the survival of life on Earth

>A strong mutant population is neccessary for the survival of Earth
Source?
Other than that, 'mutant extinction' just means little Billy won't be born with spikes coming out of his eyeballs.

Cosmic balance. Phoenix Force would do it anyway. Take your pick.
Yeah, but user! This isn't any planet, this is Kree Throneworld! Or whatever, I probably mix up terms with Skrulls.

The X-Gene was a natural part of human DNA.

The Phoenix was coming to Earth in the first place because the natural order had been disrupted by it's removal.

The Skrull homeworld became a satisfied Galactus burp.
Many ugly green shapeshifters died that day, my friend.
The accursed Reed Richards is to blame!
Also That Shi'ar homeworld has seen better days too...
And let's not forget that Kree rock...

Seems to be a bad age to be an alien civilization's homeworld.

>The Skrull homeworld became a satisfied Galactus burp.
And another throneworld was destroyed by Devos.
Kree lost Supreme Intelligence, as well.
What happened to Spaceknights, their place is gone, as well? I dimly remember them being in Infinity.

Yeah, Bendis. Is he satisfactory?

Spaceknights? Never heard of 'em. They friends of ROM?
I actually don't follow much cosmic Marvel because for the most part that continuity doesn't impact the Earth-based superheros I read, and I can't buy all the comics! : (

Yes, he is a very underrated writer.

>Spaceknights? Never heard of 'em. They friends of ROM?
Yeah, them. Builders wrecked them.

Think of all the times that the earth has been saved solely by mutants

I love the scene in the Vision comic when he recounts all the times he saved, or was involved with saving, the world.
The count was 38.
The X-Men number must be up there in double digits too.

He was too good for this world

Of those, how many of them were caused BY mutants?

Oh, so he's offworld? Did the Starjammers beam him up at the last second or something?

You sound like the average ungrateful marvel citizen

The difference is that Wolverine and Storm's characters were written into the shitter, Gambit literally who, while Cyclops' character growth (and downfall if you think it was) was sensible and interesting to read

I don't run popularity polls but for me Cyclops single handedly kept X-titles interesting for roughly the last decade

Sure, e-everyone is off-world.
Except Gambit and Golballs.

Oh, and Pixie.

>And when this twist hits
>When all that happens do remember just one other thing: I told you so.

Ulysses stop shitposting and go hide somewhere, Stark is looking to fuck your shit up

>In fact, MARK MY WORDS HERE: the reason Scott Summers faked his own death is the same reason he murdered Professor Xavier.

That being? Because the murder of Xavier is the only hting he really hoenstly did wrong in this whole mess (and that he showed and expressed immense guilt over): he let his his anger and the temptation presented by his power get the better of him

Look fella, the very first time Cyclops himself single-handedly saved the world it was the Sentinels who were about to kill and enslave humanity.
Remember who's responsible for those giant racist mutant killing robots existing?
Then there's all those alien invasions...
And demonic invasions...
And Inhumans too before too long...

Literally everyone, including Hickman who killed him off unceremoniously, has written a better Rightclops than Bendis.

>mutant terrorists cause millions in property damage, dozens of lives lost
>mutant paramilitia come to fuck over mutant terrorists causing millions in property damage, maybe lives lost as collateral
>"w-we just want to do what's right"

The Registration Act was right. Superhumans should be held accountable for the power they wield, especially mutants who develop them as childs - teenagers.

>childs
Registration Act is Nazi thing, Cap said so.

>That being?
even if that wasn't all bullshi wouldn't knowing the spoiler ruin the twist?

Well Cap isn't Cyclops, therefore he's not RIGHT.
Besides, these days I'm sure someone's managed to change his mind.

What the fuck does registration have to do with accountability?

Does that imply that there is no way to investigate, arrest, and punish someone if they don't already have an extensive file on record?

It obviously makes it significantly more difficult.

Until you get Norman in charge.

Don't you think it would make it easier? If a murder scene showed, let's say, laser beam marks on the scenery and the bodies, wouldn't it help for the investigation to know exactly who in the neighborhood can project laser beams or has access to laser beam technology?

And it also has to do with accountability because then the guys who fucked everyone's shit up would not be some leather-clad buffoons named Helion or Elixir or whatever, they would have a name and an address to go questioning to

Of course this only applied before everyone knew where all the mutants exactly were

So? I don't have my DNA or fingerprints on file and I shouldn't have to until I commit a crime. Superhumans should have the same rights.

If you can't catch super criminals without a head start, get better tech and training. Don't take it out on them.

I think the difference between what you could personally do and what some superhumans could do is too massive to reduce it to a moral quandary

considering how easy it is to build bombs, not really

Nothing.
Let's suppose Ulterior Motive Man uses excessive force in a fight and destroys an office building in the process of killing a suspect.

A warrant is issued for his arrest in connection with destruction of private property and multiple counts of manslaughter in furtherance of 1st degree murder. If he was registered, they know his name is Theophrastus Bombastus Von Hohenheim and where he used to live, but if he's a fugitive this information is of little use since he's not likely to be there anymore. If he's not registered, they look at the list of people who were reported missing within a few days after the incident because he's probably one of them.

Unless, of course, he stays put and continues going to his day job. But then you still have the likelihood of people noticing that Theophrastus has been acting strange ever since that office building blew up because it's hard to stay calm when you know SHIELD is looking for you over a small matter of a few hundred deaths and a five million dollar building. Also if he's going through the motions of his normal work day, he'd be fairly easy to catch once he's identified. A registered fugitive is going to be hiding as thoroughly as possible.

When you consider that registered fugitives are definitely going to make a run for it, the argument for registration making it easier to hold people accountable is kind of weak.

But supercops exist and super private security. Don't act like the world isn't equipped to handle Joe Schmoe just because he has laser eyes.

Besides, an investigation would likely just involve going to a list of people with laser eyes and arresting the closest one to the crime. How are you going to prove it wasn't someone from out of town with lasers? If you don't have an alibi and you can shoot lasers, you're going to get hardcore fucked by the legal system.

Admittedly for a lot of those cases a Registration Act makes no difference at all.
Let's say Franklin Richards registers. "Hi, my power is, um, literal God-like omnipotence including wishing anything in/out of existence in an isntant"
What do you do then?

You could maybe take out a building with your IED, big deal. The people who can build and control the real bombs are held accountable for what they do on that job. Or they should do, but "people try to circumvent it" is no basis for criticizing law.

THIS.
Most people who are pro-registration are severely underestimating how much destructive potential a normal human actually has. Anyone can walk in to Wal-Mart, spend less than $100, and level a two-story building pretty easily.

A people on the run from the law makes a lot more ripples than someone who can just remove a mask and not be Ulterior Motive Man, murderer and fugitive, until he decides to be again, possibly hundreds of miles form the last sighting.

Suppose old Theo can do just that? Remove his mask and not give a fuck anymore about whatever happened when he was Ulterior Motive Man? Maybe he has two personalities, maybe he self-hypnotizes to help keep his own secret identity, maybe he's just that much of an asshole.

What's better for investigators: looking for a man on the run whose face they know and who can't use any of the old connections we take or granted but make our lives so much easier - no smartphone, no credit cards, no booking flights - or looking for an unknown man in the perfect hiding spot?

Magneto jizzed into his ear while he was sleeping one night. The rest is history, a shit load of being right, and normies being jealous of the most right saviour of mutantkind.

Did you just not read the series? It's 2016, do you not read the comics that are published by Marvel on a weekly basis?

Cyclops was brought back. Black Panther and the Richards family fixed shit. Read an X-Men book. Cyke was killed off-panel because Marvel wants to push the Inhumans more.

You might say he was...DEAD right
*shades*
YEEEEEAH!!

You can break it up into three sections, if you like.

Rightclops Begins (pure hero):
>Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon
>House of M
>Astonishing X-Men by Warren Ellis

The Dark Right (he's not the hero we need, but the hero we deserve):
>Uncanny X-Men by Ed Brubaker (Make sure you read all of Messiah CompleX)
>Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction (Make sure you read all of Utopia/Nation X and Second Coming)

Dark Right Returns:
>Schism
>Uncanny X-Men v1 and v2 by Kieron Gillen
>AvX and AvX Consequences

I bet Cyclops and Jean are both resurrected and out in space with the Starjammers. Or he's gone back to Alaska and said fuck it.

Underrated

He got his neck snapped by Doom on battleworld in Secret Wars, then he presumably came back because deaths on battleworld didn't count and somebody mentioned he was killed by some Inhumans.

Was the leak about him being the one behind Magneto's team right?

huh. I thought Schism was right after Whedon's run

Whedon's run ran from 2004-2008. Schism was 2011ish.

Bendis ending Scott-Emma was already bad (in a bizarre story over Xavier's legacy). Killing him off-screen...

Fuck that man.

This is in incredibly accurate

Scott-Emma ended when Emma fucked Namor and Scott beat the shit out of her in Gillen's Uncanny.

>Emma fucked Namor
Damn, never noticed that. Which ed?