Why are all the relationships in this show so unhealthy?

Why are all the relationships in this show so unhealthy?

These two are in a codependent relationship. They can't function at all without the other. And Garnet had the nerve to blab to Pearl about being independent?

Then there's also Steven and Connie who are probably going to start dating before Connie made a friend her age other than Steven.

And if they push Lars and Sadie again, that will be one super toxic relationship.

Other urls found in this thread:

xfirecorex.tumblr.com/post/144979712122/lapis-larsuli-xfirecorex-lapis-larsuli
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the difference between an unhealthy co-dependent relationship and a healthy co-dependent relationship?

I don't think there is such a thing as a healthy codependent relationship by definition. It's the excessive emotional or psychological reliance of your partner.

An interdependent relationship is much healthier. As each person is more able to handle their issues on their own without the constant need of their partner.

A co-dependent relatiomship can't be healthy

I think you might misunderstand the situation here.
It would be unhealthy if one of them only relied on the other. But they always rely on each other and enjoy each other's company a lot.
And as Garnet they are objectively more functional than they are on their own.
Yeah, their affections are pretty annoying when they split, but so long as they don't have a situation where the relationship is severely lopsided, I don't see the problem.
I don't think there is such a thing as being pathologically in a loving relationship.

Sapphire and Ruby are in a completely different situation than Pearl and Rose were. For one, relationship Sapphire/Ruby has is equal and fully reciprocated. 99% of the time they exist as one person anyway. There's also little to suggest they couldn't live independently, as they once did.

Compare that to Rose and Pearl, unequal and unrequited (at least, they had different love for each other). A lot of Pearl episodes revolve around her moving on from Rose and accepting she wasn't Rose's special snowflake.

Sun shines, birds fly, and Pearl is shit at relationships. Rose aside, the way she projects onto Steven, almost brainwashed Connie, deceived Garnet and generally doesn't get along well with people indicates she might be just a little BPD. In these examples her behavior was portrayed as negative and hurtful.

So I disagree, OP. I think the show's relationships are pretty OK for the most part. Even Lars and Sadie I'd say isn't toxic, just has growing pains.

>There's also little to suggest they couldn't live independently, as they once did

They literally can't though. That's been established already with the most recent episode, they're obsessed with each other to the point where they almost lost a fucking game of baseball because of it and completely blew their cover. You can't call what they have healthy, it's a two-sided obsession.

>I think the show's relationships are pretty OK for the most part

No, that's not even remotely true. The relationships, and the drama that comes with it, is always the worst part about the show. The only relationship you can even remotely call healthy is Connie and Steven. Even Greg had to call Rose out on the fact that their relationship was nothing more than a shallow farce before they decided to take it seriously.

>Even Lars and Sadie I'd say isn't toxic, just has growing pains

HOW?! She kidnapped him and Steven and put them in danger just so she can rape him. I'd argue that what she did was actually worse than the Sardonyx incident.

If you don't like it, watch Spongebob.

Dramatic, aren't we?
Sadie maroon ingredients them on a tropical island was fucked up, but rape?
Come on. She was trying to make Lars finally commit to something and that pretty much worked.
And then she fought an invisible monster with a stick to defend her husbando.
I will agree that their relationship is a train wreck, but that's kinda just who they both are.
And they still work together every day, so it can't be that bad for either of them.
You act like relationships need to be this perfect thing of measured affections and permanent mutual agreement to work.
Have you never seen a French movie?

>She was trying to make Lars finally commit to something and that pretty much worked.
The ends cannot justify the means when the means and ends are both selfish. She put all their lives at risk just because she wanted him to change.
>so it can't be that bad for either of them.
Convenience for the sake of plot and, once again, ends before means. Just because what she did was depicted as working for her does not make it completely selfish and reckless.
>You act like relationships need to be this perfect thing of measured affections and permanent mutual agreement to work.
No, but there needs to be some sort of baseline of healthy behavior and effort towards it so that the bad things stand out better. Remember, this is a show for children, and they're romanticizing unhealthy relationship behavior and standards. There's a reason beyond cliche that people have complained about kids wanting "a Romeo and Juliet relationship". Kids often take what they see depicted in media as a standard for their lives, which has led to an entire generation disappointed that life isn't composed of convenient events and punctual life lessons.

>I don't think there is such a thing as being pathologically in a loving relationship.

That's what society has conditioned you to think.

They are aliens, they have different states of mind than humans.

They literally spend all their time fused into a single being

>These two are in a codependent relationship. They can't function at all without the other.
Uh. Where did you get that idea? Just because they love being with each other doesn't mean they are in a codependent relationship.

Neither of them are hurting the other, even unintentionally.

>They are aliens, they have different states of mind than humans.

See, that answer might work if it wasn't FIRMLY established that what they're doing is completely out of the ordinary for their species.

Drama
Girls like drama.
Girls write drama.
Other girls watch and want drama.
In other words the contribution of the female staff leads to this kind of characterization, personal and romantic drama.

I like the show, but OP really has a point. And the sad thing is, I think the target audience will be more concerned with shipping and lesbian representation than the fact that the show is basically giving kids examples of how to be a horrible possessive partner and feel justified about it instead of showing them what is at stake if you act like a fool.

>They literally can't though. That's been established already with the most recent episode
Not really. Not at all, even.
> they're obsessed with each other to the point where they almost lost a fucking game of baseball because of it and completely blew their cover.
They had the attitude of a loving people pretending to not know each other and being really bad at it. The amount of time they are being separated while not being in a dispute must be extremly rare. Their attitude stem from inexperience, not an unhealthy obsession.

Not the same thing.

>Even Greg had to call Rose out on the fact that their relationship was nothing more than a shallow farce before they decided to take it seriously.
That's actually the sign of an healthy relationship and an actual normal shift for people who have started dating since a few mouths ago.

>HOW?! She kidnapped him and Steven and put them in danger just so she can rape him. I'd argue that what she did was actually worse than the Sardonyx incident.
I'll admit Lars and Sadie are completely unhealthy and it need to be adressed.

I like the idea that the relationships in the show aren't perfect, but it's a problem if the issues aren't acknowledged as such and just thrown in randomly from time to time as a plot device.

>wow I can't believe this show has conflict, why doesn't everyone just get along that would be very interesting to watch

>implying isn't what society has conditioned you to think.

Ruby and Sapphire's relationship doesn't have any blatant problem, though.

Not in most episodes, that is what I'm saying. Garnet is like a mary sue relationship except for when the plot calls for them to have some kind of issue. It would make more sense if even together they had some kind of shortcomings like the other fusions.

Being out of the ordinary doesn't make it wrong, the hatred of mixed caste fusions is purely cultural to the homeworld

>Garnet is like a mary sue relationship except for when the plot calls for them to have some kind of issue
So they aren't the mary sue of relationship.
>It would make more sense if even together they had some kind of shortcomings
Like the one you just mentioned?

You're intentionally being stubborn and missing the point. The relationship isn't supposed to be perfect except for the episodes where they are written to be completely different characters than they usually are.

Not the point.

The thing is that they're not really putting it in a bad light and they're basically just showing that it's okay to depend on someone so heavily out of love, and that you don't need to be independent.

>The relationship isn't supposed to be perfect except for the episodes
I think you are the one being stubborn. You actually point out that there has been imperfection in their relationship. Therefore it's not perfect. you seems to reject it because:
>where they are written to be completely different characters than they usually are.
Except that's completely wrong. Every of their actions and reactions have fit what we know of their characters so far. Nothing has been out of character.

>they're basically just showing that it's okay to depend on someone so heavily out of love
Except this is not what they have been doing. At all. Not a single time do they feature the relationship of Ruby and Sapphire this way.

Keystone Motel actually show that they can be independent and split when they are in disagreement. So no, they aren't really featuring what you are describing.

In the episodes that aren't centered around their relationship, Garnet is a mary sue. She can see into the future, has unyielding resolve and keeps her cool, etc. As if they are so perfect together that it justifies in another episode that they are two people who are unable to function around one another, or if they disagree on something, they split up.

>Garnet is a mary sue.
>I thought violence would be the answer
Wrong. Being competent and being a Mary Sue aren't the same thing.
>they are two people who are unable to function around one another
Not what we have seen. No what was shown.
>or if they disagree on something, they split up.
Yes and? Seeing how we know gem work, it make sense. We have seen Opal work on the same premise. If the two gems that form a fusion can't remain in tune with each other, they split up.
> As if they are so perfect together that it justifies in another episode that they are two people who are unable to function around one another
Not what happened. They are inexperienced with being around one an other. inexperienced is different than unhealthy.

>They had the attitude of a loving people pretending to not know each other and being really bad at it

Considering the stakes, you'd think they'd tone it down better. They still risked getting caught by homeworld because they couldn't help but do nothing but show P.D.A. It's like the balloon and porcupine from Gumball (whose names escape me so work with me here) but somehow even more obnoxious in the few times they do manage to show up. I'm just saying, from what we've seen, they've done nothing but think about the other. Until there's an episode showing they can actually function independently post-fusion, then I can't exactly call the relationship healthy. It can very easily be interpreted as co-dependant.

>That's actually the sign of an healthy relationship and an actual normal shift for people who have started dating since a few mouths ago

Never really said otherwise, just before they got to that point Pearl was spot-on, and probably would've ended just like she said had she not intervened.

Implying isn't the most societally pushed belief regarding relationships.

>Considering the stakes, you'd think they'd tone it down better
It fit, in a comedy show.
> I'm just saying, from what we've seen, they've done nothing but think about the other.
This isn't inherently wrong.
>Until there's an episode showing they can actually function independently post-fusion, then I can't exactly call the relationship healthy.
Lack of proof isn't proof of lack and you don't make this kind of judgement without solid proof. We'd have to actually see them goes into panic attacks for being apart for your statement to have some ground. And from what we have seen so far it's not the case. In Jailbreak, Sapphire was keeping her cool and while Ruby was acting worried for sapphire it was a justified fear, considering the situation. Later in Keystone, we can actually see them disagreeing and act independently and fully express disaccord with each other on how to handle a though situation.

The "I AM AN ETERNAL FLAME, BABY" is not something that would come out from someone suffering from co-dependency.

>just before they got to that point Pearl was spot-on
Idsagreeing. The whole point was actually that it was something serious for ROse, she just didn't want to admit it up to that point. Kind of putting a front. Her inexperience with a serious relationship didn't help. The thing is, it was serious, but it's only at this point that both truly acknowledged it.

>Then there's also Steven and Connie who are probably going to start dating before Connie made a friend her age other than Steven.

How do you know Connie hasn't made any other friends by now? Throwing in details like that for no other sake than to confirm it would disrupt the narrative.

This is some classic young person criticism right here. Instead of commenting on things like structure and dramatic tension and tone you're complaining about how it hasn't filled every gap you can think of. Despite the fact that some details are always beyond the scope of a work to address while still preserving the things that are actually important to storytelling.

If you want an actual case of unhealthy co-dependent relationship, rather look at Andy and Ollie Pesto from Bob's Burger.

These two's relationship will end up in something really ugly.

>How do you know Connie hasn't made any other friends by now?
Not him, but Connie actually stated she had no friends when meeting Steven first, because her father's job made them move a lot.

But I disagree with him on his opinion that it would result in a bad relationship with Steven.

>high functioning autistic kids are in a co-dependent relationship

Yeah that's my point. How do we know she hasn't made any by now? This shit doesn't have to matter. It's so My First Film Criticism.

I don't think they are autistic. They are just dumb.

>Wrong. Being competent and being a Mary Sue aren't the same thing.

I think the problem the user who called her a Mary Sue is running into is that Garnet seems to be the ONLY consistently competent character on the show and it stands out.

>muh messages

If you're so fucking retarded that you learn how to act from cartoons, you deserve whatever bad things happen as a result.

Lol

See the show is more successful than GirrLover9001's fanfiction because they already know this.

They come exceedingly close to simulating what would be an idealistic co dependant relationship. it's the idealized front of how someone in an unhealthy relationship perceives their own situation.

you should be asking how despite having 0 composition character wise, how everyone gets along and functions socially which is where the magic of the show is really at

>People on the most neckbeard board after r9k arguing about healthy relationships

how many of you assheads have even touched a girl?

sometimes, when I work in team with a girl uni in one of the lab, out hands touch accidentally.

It's soft....

Comic shops actually provide more ample opportunity for social interaction than torrenting or playing video games in your room.

I'd argue this is one of the higher up places for that kind of thing. Not as high as /fit/ or /cgl/, but right under /tg/

because they are degenerate lesbians

prove me wrong.

nope, you can't.

Well, Ruby and Sapphire ARENT Garnet, neither viceversa, so Garnet has a foot to stand on as far as independency goes, but yeah I agree that the grand majority of relationships, even casual friendly ones in this show, are super fucking unhealthy

>torrenting anime
Fucked up there.

No he said torrenting games

do it all the time
i work in the delivery room

I guess so, I know a lot of regulars to comic shops that are female. But games also have an abundance of female players now a days.
Steven Universe is the reason I have a gf way out of my league
(because I look like grownup steven)

>He thinks anyone on Sup Forums actually visits brick and mortar comic shops
>He thinks there are any women inside if they do

If you existed as a representation of you and your partner's love for each other for centuries on end, wouldn't you be thirsty as fuck too?

Do you think, if the plot called for it, Garnet would be able to separate in order to have pearl/sapphire and amethyst/ruby fuse? Without them having a meltdown.

Why would you reply then retard

sounds like a perfectly healthy relationship

But we're not Sup Forums.

>Sup Forums
>not Sup Forums

How new.

they are not human, they don't follow the same rules as insane lesbian human females

>function
they aren't functional being together or separated. It's a disaster.

>These two's relationship will end up in something really ugly.
It won't end.
It's bound in blood, not anything as petty as infatuation or shared interests.

>probably would've ended just like she said had she not intervened
I bet Pearl sometimes thinks this to herself.

That's their flaw.

Garnet's flaw is now not bein a '2 lesbian midgets in a trenchcoat' .

I would like to see garnet disagree with Ruby and sapphire on something anything.

Something

Because melodrama sells.

Lesbians can't have healthy relationships.

>most neckbeard board after /r9k/
>other boards call us Sup Forumsmblr

here's your (you)

>Applying minor human psychology issues to alien creatures whose relationships involve them literally fusing and becoming one creature.

Yep. This show is basically an animated soap opera.

I imagined a concept of story where Setven manage to do something Rose would have never been able to do, saving the day (including teamwork).

This lead Garnet to a sort of Breakdown: for the first time she realize, the team and her as a leader, can now manage themselves than without Rose.

It's heart breaking for her because so far, she had always relied on "what would have Rose do" to maintain the team together and manage it. And no she realize, they are doing better. she doesn't need this kind of mental reliance, that sort of connection she still had with her and break the dam.

She can't deal with it anymore and simply can't deal to be her for a time, thus switching back to Ruby and Sapphire, who for once can not have a full idea of the situation, because, unlike Garnet, they have never been in a leader position. It's truly a Garnet issue and despite having no conflict between them, Sapphire and Ruby can't fuse because Garnet refuse to be herself up until she has vented out.

Don't know if it's really what you wanted, but I too have tried to toy with an issue where Garnet is in conflict with her two Gems that compose her.

>These two are in a codependent relationship

They were fucking kidnapped and forcibly separated.

>Why are all the relationships in this show so unhealthy?
>They can't function at all without the other. And Garnet had the nerve to blab to Pearl about being independent?
Sounds realistic to me. I do not know a single couple that I could describe as being in a healthy relationship.
well, except for a friend of mine who's got a qt3.14 underage gf but they're of a higher social status than most people I know without being rich snobs

That reminds me. xfirecorex.tumblr.com/post/144979712122/lapis-larsuli-xfirecorex-lapis-larsuli
(The OP doesn't even say they think lesbians are bad, butt they're getting attacked for it anyway)

THANK YOU!! Their relationship irritates me. It's cute and all, but I don't like how it's supposed to represent the "perfect" relationship. They act more like teens in puppy love than a stable, "married" couple (I mean they've been together for 100s of years so they might as well be married). They can't stand being apart and they don't ever have space for themselves. It unnerves me. Most people with relationships like that end up falling apart

seeIt is actually not a codependent relationship. Neither is it perfect. They actually got into dispute and need to talk things out.
> They act more like teens in puppy love than a stable, "married" couple (I mean they've been together for 100s of years so they might as well be married).
Like said earlier, they acted like a loving married couple that had to pretend they didn't knew each other and were meeting for the first time. Their reaction is on point when it came to play that out.

not to mention, the amount of times they got to be separated without being in a dispute must be quite fews. they look as an inexperienced couple because that's what they actually are. Blame Gem's physiology on that one rather than their relationship itself.

>They can't stand being apart and they don't ever have space for themselves
It has been shown In Jailbreak and Keystone that they can stand it very well and that there are actually times when they need to and act so.
>It unnerves me. Most people with relationships like that end up falling apart
You rally have no reason to be unnerved, as this isn't what their relationship is.

I guess you make some good points, I just personally never really liked relationships on tv where they are shown in constant, gooy love. Maybe I'm being too hard on it, I get why people like it though. I just don't like when people act like they're the best thing ever just cause they're lesbians (not saying you're doing that!! Just something I've seen)

It's tumblr, gay people are god there

>I just personally never really liked relationships on tv where they are shown in constant, gooy love.
I actually love this. To often, it's based on drama drama drama drama drama drama drama drama. I know you write better stories out of conflict, but once in a while I like to see a relationship that is actually going okay.
>I just don't like when people act like they're the best thing ever just cause they're lesbians
I don't think that's the actual justification for most people. They like it because Garnet is cool and they make a cute couple. No need to get on the defensive.

not being defensive, just saying what I've noticed. I just got excited to see op's post cause most people love them and I'm not that into it is all.

>(The OP doesn't even say they think lesbians are bad, butt they're getting attacked for it anyway)
Are we actually reading the same thing?
>>>OP express his opinion
>>gee its almost as if they……love each other
>OP's reply: >#stop trying to demonize lesbian relationships ok
Like what the fuck, the person that replied to him made no mention of gay or lesbian, but OP simply assumed that the other assumed that he didn't like them because gay.

OP make the gay assumption, not the person disagreeing with him. He is like "Oh, you are disagreeing with me BECAUSE YOU THINK I DON'T LIKE GAY?" when the person disagreeing with him made no mention of it, OP brought that up.

It's almost silly, really.

I don't understand why we're supposed to care about Ruby and Sapphire. They somehow accidentally fuse by bumping into each other, then spend a few days (or weeks at most) with each other, then they're an inseparable couple forever? They have barely any character beyond their relationship and they're dragging Garnet down with the constant fusion bullshit.

the stop trying to demonize lesbian relationships ok is a quote from the person they're replying to. On tumblr people often put crap in the tags they don't put in their actual post. It's kind of confusing but yeah op wasn't saying that

>They actually got into dispute and need to talk things out

No they fucking didn't, they only got over it in order to not make it seem like it wasn't Steven's fault, but they never really resolved it.

>It has been shown In Jailbreak and Keystone that they can stand it very well and that there are actually times when they need to and act so

Did we watch the same episodes? Because Ruby was literally breaking down during Jailbreak and hardly gave Steven any thought until they were together again, and in Keystone they were still doing nothing but thinking about each other.

>this is what incels actually believe

Okay that's it you've convinced me I am now in the #LoudCrowd

Gay

What's hilarious is that their backstory actively contradicts the Love Letters episode. Their relationship didn't take time or effort, they just fused one day and decided they were madly in love. Ruby literally had the "love at first sight eyes" when she first saw Sapphire. Christ, the Answer was such an awful episode.

Presumably they got better at the relationship thing over the many thousands of years they were together

All humans are to one degree or another dependent on one another. Isn't drawing a line in the sand saying one level of dependency is healthy and another isn't rather arbitrary?

In the end as much as these gems are made to be so "perfect" unlike them we humans have went thru far worse in our lives then just what they call problems.I mean try killing a saber tooth with a rock and a stick and have on magic healing or powers lol.A problem for Ruby and sapphire is being in a different room with out fusing for 2 days.After these two came in I dropped garnet as a liked character because it star going south.Then their ep The answer was sooo bad i mean who wants to be woken up at 12am on a back of a truck in a barn to be told a lesbian story about how i got with someone by accident?

Yeah, when they had a falling out at the Keystone Motel that was the only time we really saw them interact. And I can totally see that they have disagreements while fused but don't separate over them like Opal does every two minutes.
With Garnet being a constant dialogue, I would say that she can absolutely say that having a relationship requires effort to maintain.
Whenever she seems to just stand around that's probably a discourse we don't see.
As all the difficult things, Garnet looks easy to be after 6k years of doing it.
She's pretty much a professional at keeping up a relationship. Or at least that one relationship.

Honestly seems like earth is just a place to go hog wild for the gems and their "relationships" because homeworld doesnt allow it or something.I mean do you all think they still "protect" earth if rose didnt say too?

Have you tried being coherent?
I heard that works better for most people.

I dont have to be anything when im being constantly reminded that a few rock people is the best thing to happen to the one planet we got.