Does anyone here actually hate this movie after the Assembly Cut?

It's my favourite of the trilogy now, still flawed of course, but a good movie regardless.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_x9W1xKng
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's just a retread of the first movie but not as good. By far the worst of the series. Even worse than resurrection

I never hated it and was surprised to see so many people who did when Covenant came out, but I'm not sure which versions I've seen, whatevers on the region 2 Quadrilogy DVD and special edition blu ray, so probably theatrical and director's.

What's wrong with it other than killing off the actors they couldn't get to return?

Hey guys let's kill Newt in the beginning of the movie and off screen!

Fucking brilliant man.

pleb

Nothing really, except that stupid running around sequence near the end. The problem seemed to be, normies really liked those characters for some reason.

Convincing argument user, you've swayed me! GREAT MOVIE GUYS!

What would she add to the story? How would you like her to be killed off in the prison?

1992 was a different time, killing children wasn't something you did in movies unless you wanted to be #1 Edgemeister General

>Even worse than resurrection
i seriously dont understand this pleb opinion at all
weird thing is its not the first time ive heard a faggot say it

I actually love it. Along with Alien Resurrection. Both are great. Not as great as the first two, but not that as bad all the critics say. I love the franchise. The older, the better.

Alien 3 (with avp and resurrection) is waaay better than Prometheus and Covenant. Even AVP is great. Requiem is shite, tho.

It's okay if I just watch it if it's on TV or something but if I watch it shortly after Aliens I kinda hate it yeah

>What's wrong with it other than killing off the actors they couldn't get to return?

Because the only cool concept it introduced to the mythos was the Alien taking on characteristics of the host. Other than that it does nothing but eliminate any development Ripley had from the previous, better movie while trying to do the same thing the original did.

And a "queen" chest burster is dumb as shit.

>And a "queen" chest burster is dumb as shit.

What is smart then?

The problem isn't that it was poorly made, it's that it was a totally unnecessary sequel that killed off any potential the franchise could have had.

Anons, what about something I heard about this shit being non canon now?
Something about Newt not getting killed and becoming Ripley's disciple or something... Next gen Ripley? Is it tru?

It doesn't eliminate her development, she just takes as different direction. Ripley in 3 is broken, and depressed. She needs to slowly come to terms with what needs to be done and still do the right thing in the end.

It's way more interesting for me than "She has a family now!" implied by the ending of 2.

Resurrection didn't even make sense.

>The only Alien queen in the movie gives birth like a human
>There's a scene half an hour before this where they get trapped in a room full of eggs

>And a "queen" chest burster is dumb as shit.
How should she have been born?

>the only cool concept it introduced to the mythos
I liked that the alien could survive molten lead, the prison mining planet idea was great and added some actual scale to the world.

There were plans of a sequel to Aliens directed by Neil Blomkamp that ignored 3, with Newt and Hicks etc. Probably isn't going to get made after covenant flopped.

Kind of a good thing imo. It felt likeslap to the face to anyone who liked 3, also the director of Chappie would probably make something worse, and erase 3 from the canon at the same time.

>1992 was a different time, killing children wasn't something you did
I KNOW RIGHT nowadays everyone is killing children all day for fun, different times man

I liked the original idea of the alien turning the crew members into eggs. Although that's not canon.

Having them more like some species of ants where females become the queen after the original queen dies would've been better than a special face hugger that only makes queens.

She was already broken at the start of Aliens. Granted, it's explored a smidge more in the deleted scene with her daughter being dead but Aliens further developed her character showing her maternal side and Alien 3 just threw that all away for no real reason other that to have Ripley be isolated.

Another thing i'd forgotten about Alien 3 is that when the movie was first being teased it implied the Aliens were finally going to come to Earth which obviously never happened which may have resulted in a lot more hate for the movie in the finished product.

>Next gen Ripley? Is it tru?

thank fuck it's not

dipshits trying to undo A3 from existence are faggy idiots who were probably pampered a little too much throughout their lives

Now everyone has a boner for killing main characters, often without a good reason, because Game of Thrones. Different times.

I love it too. It's not super original, but I really don't mind. It's still a good movie.

I never understood the stupid edgyness people attributed to killing chindren
>omg the kid died
So what? It's the same as any other human dyring, only with less birthdays.
Peoply dyring isn't supposed to give everyone boners, even though le edgelords are actually a thing now.

user, i think you might be a psychopath if you can't comprehend the difference between a child being killed and an adult.

So you're fine with seeing an adult die but not a kid?

No reason to get mad user. I liked A3 but I thought Newt had something more promising of a future after all the trouble in A2. Coul've been nice to see an heiress to Ripley to carry on the legacy. Presumably a fine aryan specimen.
To get it done right though... that's a gamble.

Recently watched Alien and Aliens (2) for the first time, really extremely fun. I was a bit spooked but not too spooked. 1 was better, genuinely was cheering for a fucking android for a while there, then I got twisted. The sense of claustrophobia was just massive there. Also the blue collar space crew was comfy

In 2 the aliens get killed in such droves that they aren't as spooky anymore

Anyway what should I watch next? Alien 3 seems like bit of a slog, should I just watch prometheus? That's what I'm contemplating

In fiction i don't have a problem with either but i understand the difference between the two.

I bet you don't have many friends.

also please respond

this is literally what everyone assumed the character was going to become, including mine

in hindsight I'm glad at what they did

besides more than enough powerfantasy bullshit exists today

alien universe should be better than those, and even with Covenant and Promehtues being somewhat of a dissapointment, at least Ridley is keeping the cold uncaringness of that universe intact

Pls no bully

Reminder this IS fiction we're talking about user
>Difference
What's the difference user?
Are not all human beings after all? Is there age-dependent difference in the worthyness of life to you?

Watch 3 extended cut, if you managed to get through 1 without getting bored by the pacing, there shouldn't be any problems. It's the ending for Ripley's story.

Prometheus is incredibly dumb, with some neat visuals. Resurrection is schlock, and you still need 3 for that. AvP is a travesty.

gotcha

alien 3 isn't a bad movie despite what a lot of people are saying

it just doesn't care about your feelings

Because in western society the concept of a life unlived is far more depressing than someone who's lived to adulthood. Paternal and maternal instincts are far stronger than a person's empathy.

It's always better to see for yourself.
Alien 3 is still worth watching.
Prometheus is hated by everyone, but it you see past it's flaws, it's an attempt to expand the mythology behind the alien ship found on Alien 1 and the Engineers, which imho is one of the main things that made Alien 1 great. The mystery of it, the not knowing where the fuck does it all come from.

I agree

Still, those are instincts and appreciations. Protection, parenthood, motherhood, depression...
It's understandable why would someone care more to protect a child or get depressed by their death. But that doesnt make it a true difference. In 80-90's movies, nobody would give a single fuck if 20 adults died a horrible death in a film, yet a child died in one and everyone looses their freaking minds. Why?

>implying there's any way to make the idea of an alien queen not shit

Cameron only tacked on that shit so he could have his 1000s of space bugs for the meatheads that like his movies

Only people who hates this movie are amerisharts. They like to shit themselves in Walmart for some reason and pretend as if they live in first world country.

You could be actually on to something. I live in a slav country and never heard anything bad about the original alien 'trilogy'. I was actually surprised how much hated 3 is.

>I live in a slav country and never heard anything bad about the original alien 'trilogy'

Probably because your third world shithole is disconnected from the rest of the world?

Not really, people still hate Resurrection or Prometheus. You first world shithole is just full of plebs who can't comprehend a movie going in a different direction than your family friendly adventure.

i like the film. yes its a train wreck but Fincher did what he could we a shit script and major studio interference. there were just too many cooks in the kitchen

>You first world shithole is just full of plebs who can't comprehend a movie going in a different direction than your family friendly adventure.

It's literally the same thing as the first movie. The same reason Ghostbusters 2 was panned.

>It's literally the same thing as the first movie

it's not though

So we've got Fincher to thank for there not being 10 shitty sequels with stupid shit like, "Alien goes to Hell", and "Alien in Space".

>It's literally the same thing as the first movie
In what sense?

>in b4 weapons

Aliens was the exception being focused on the military.

>yet a child died in one and everyone looses their freaking minds. Why?

probably because Cameron concluded Aliens with a fairytale ending and people were expecting the ''ass-kicking, ''bug hunting'''' family dynamic to continue in the sequel

what happened instead was that the audience got punched in their fucking kidneys from the get-go and the entire movie was just a long journey about suffering with release and a brief moment of joy found only in death

and over the years, I've come to really appreciate that it did that instead of going this initially intended route (teaser courtesy of the producers):

youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_x9W1xKng

The assembly cut just makes a shit movie slightly less shit. You can't polish a turd. The people who want you to believe they actually enjoyed it are try-hards and pseuds.

>Alien in Space

Instead we can enjoy shitty sequels like "Alien vs Predator", "Alien vs Predator 2: Alien Harder", "Alien: Origin Story" and neither last nor least, "Alien: Origin Story: Again"

I do.
I fucking hate it for the sheer fact alone that it kills entire alien 2 cast off screen in a nonsensical retarded asspull.

I hate this piece fo shit movie and i will always hate it. Fucking ruined the series.
In my head aliens was the last alien movie, fuck everything after it.

It focuses on different elements, it's more of a character drama instead of a slasher in space. It has distinct interesting visuals that differ it from the first one. New characters not resembling ones from the first one. Ripley is completely different person now.

The basic premise could be similar, but it's similar in all of them. Far from
>LITERALLY THE SAME THING

Fresh new meme.

sssh Neil s'alright bby

And they are still trying to make them...

You can't just say in b4 weapons because that's exactly what makes it the same as the original. People in an isolated environment trying to fight back from the alien with no weapons.

meant for

>le Assembly Cut changes everything about this dumpster fire of a movie and turns it into a 11/10 masterpiece that also gives you a blowjob for christmas
>le Ultimate Cut changes everything this dumpster fire of a movie and turns it into a 11/10 masterpiece that also gives you a blowjob for christmas

These fuckers belong gassed

>Ripley is completely different person now.
There's no missed time for Ripley between Aliens and Alien 3 though, we're just seeing her immediate reaction to the death of Newt and realising the threat has not been contained and cannot be contained. She wasn't a strong person, she just shut down from the emotional trauma.

They had more weapons in the original, and that one plot constraint doesn't make it "literally the same"

>They didn't have weapons in Clerks, which makes it literally the same as Alien

Daily reminder that the only people who like this movie are contrarians that shit on Aliens and/or David Fincher fags that love to suck his cock although he himself hates this fucking movie more than anyone

Assembly Cut bring a 5 to 7, Ultimate Cut brings 2 to 4. They are right, BvS is just too shitty.

Any of the elements it focused on were done already but done better in the previous films. Aliens showed Ripleys character more and explored her maternal side, while Alien did the isolated environment better while keeping an air of mystery about it.

Alien 3 is tried to do the same as the original but with a cast that you don't even care about while killing off any development Ripley had in the previous entries.

Don't get me wrong user, I didn't like that they killed the kid. Just sayin it shouldn't make a difference that she's a kid or a grown up. I didn't like it because it was the legacy, the next thing to expect, the superior breed future bug-hunting waifu we deserved, it has nothing to do with the fact she was a kid.
And I understand why le edgelords would like to have her dead anyway... fairy tale broken yaddayadda... Some of us happen to like fairy tale endings instead of the dark edgy shit that we get everywhere nowadays. But you can't please everyone.

Why can't I like both for different reasons?

>What's wrong with it other than killing off the actors they couldn't get to return?

They didn't even approach Biehn and Henn. Fincher told the composer that right from the first five minutes he wanted the audience to feel that Ripley was "completely fucked." He did that by isolating her, and then he does it again midway through the film by taking Clemmens away from her. One of the themes of the film that people seem to not notice is, what do you do when you're trapped in a situation with no hope? Ripley is trapped in the worst situation possible in the worst place possible. What do you choose to do?

Fox spent a fortune on this movie. Not getting two actors to come back wasn't a thing.

"Y'know what our movie needs? A tween drowning in seawater while trapped in a glass tube. People will dig it."

Biehn actually got a lot of money from Fox for using his image in the movie without his approval.

user is right, it wasn't a problem with the actors. Just a bold decision that plebs hated.

Alien>Aliens>Predator>Covenant>Predators>Predator2>Prometheus>Ressurection>Alien3>AVP>Requiem

>Assembly Cut
This meme will always trigger me.

>REEEEEEEEEE, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT'S SHIT NO MATTER WHAT

The assembly cut of Alien 3 is certainly a better movie than either of the previous installments. Aliens is simply bad, and Alien has less substance than Fincher's.

total dogshit movie

Alien>Aliens/Predator>Alien 3/Resurrection>AVP>Predators>Covenant>Prometheus>AVP Requiem

total dogshit taste

Truth, I love seeing Fincherfags get BTFO.

Are Americans just jealous that us Anglos showed them up by making the best Alien movie?

FPBP as always, OP btfo.
Alien 3 is horrible no matter what 'cut'. Resurrection actually tried to innovate ans do something different, and thats where it uas merits. Its not a failed copy of the original.

nah

>Hey guys lets make the first movie again, but instead of in space its in some brown prison that has the same narrow corridors and vents. Its gonna be so fucking original.

No amount of assembly cuts will make this movie good. It might fix some of the really stupid shit, but the movie is still bland,boring and nothing we haven't seen before it.

>nothing we haven't seen before it.

I'll defend Fincher. It's fine to say you dont like the movie, but to say "nothing we haven't seen before" is not entirely true. Alien 3 has something that was never seen before, the pov shots from the aliens. It required the creation of a very unique crane not only capable of rotating at 360° but also able to do traveling shots for more than 30 meters per take. We're talking about a long long crane here with a big rig. Something quite unique too. In the early 90's with the state of camera technology it was a technical tour de force to do these shots.

Why do I get a feeling that you are just a 1 guy samefagging since the beggining of the thread?

Even people who hate it recognise it's not a remake of the first one. That's retarded, not even close.

Well when you get a lot of people disagreeing with your retarded opinion you gotta pull the "samefag" card to try to make yourself less sad.

Yeh but they kil babby and there was no happy ending

t. Amerifat

Upvoted

Killing Newts and Hicks was a GOOD thing. This series doesn't care who you like. Aliens had a very Hollywood cookie cutter happy ending. Alien 3 had characters with the most development in the series character we sympathized with and liked and BAM the xeno would kill them. The alien didn't care what a characters backstory was and how likable they were he did what xenos did kill. That's what this series was suppose to be about. How humans are not the apex predator anymore and Aliens drew away from that Alien 3 simply brought it back and people hated it for it.

This is actually my 2nd favorite behind Alien

Every sequel should expand the narrative in interesting ways and show you new things. Otherwise it's a retread. And that's exactly all that Alien 3 is.

And if you're a true Fincherfag, you hate it with all your heart. Because Fincher himself would rather erase it from existence. Hell, he'd probably spit in your eye if you asked him to sign your copy of it.

you again?

lol of fucking course they killed newt. What fucking alien movie is it going to be if Ripley settles down with a family? She could never do that. Fox would never go for that either. Ripley's entire purpose is to suffer and endure, not to be happy. That's why Newt had to go. And Hicks. And the doctor in Alien3. This is character drama 101 seriously...

Why don't you watch Life, if you like remakes of Alien so much?

It also robbed the movie of a lot of potential suspense, because it essentially leaves Ripley with nothing to lose very early on.

Killing Newt or Hicks isn't a problem. The problem is that Alien 3 is a cavalcade of missed opportunities.

>The problem is that Alien 3 is a cavalcade of missed opportunities.

lol feel free to send a letter to executive producer Jon Landau. Fox green lighted an unfinished script and then spent the whole time tweaking it. Fincher was initially going for a thriller with it, in which the audience wasn't sure who was doing the killing. Was it the alien or was it that crazy prisoner? Fox and Landau rejected the idea during production. I mean we could write a book about how Fox's interference ruined Alien 3.

>It required the creation of a very unique crane not only capable of rotating at 360°

nigga wut?

Watch the Making Of on the blu-ray or Youtube. One of them, I think a producer, says that the steadycam operator flipped the camera on his own initiative during a take. It was not planned. They liked the result so much they told him to keep doing it.

>Fincher was initially going for a thriller with it, in which the audience wasn't sure who was doing the killing. Was it the alien or was it that crazy prisoner?
Yeah cos people would really believe that Alien 3 was about a prisoner going crazy and killing people with small puncture wounds and acid. Sounds like they saved it.

Source on that? I've read a lot about this movie, but never heard anything about Fincher's actual vision anywhere.

yes

i like Alien

i hate the rest, especially Aliens... Alien 3 and 4 are just garbage unworthy of viewing.

prometheus was well presented but a garbage script

covenant was prequel tier trash