Tell me about Hank Pym

So I'm making time while waiting and I'm reading this (Mighty Avengers) and I'm having a honestly to heart fun time. I was told Hank Pym was a boring character, but here he's really fun to read. So easily baited, and kind of makes me smile when he goes all offended and depressive, and pedantic. And half the times I don't know if he's a jerk without realizing himself or he's just a very bad case of black humour. In any case, he's no way boring.

Are there any other series in which he's this fun to read? I mean, it's not that I like him, but here is definitively fun.

Also, I'm guessing the pop culture stuff in his dialogue in Uncanny Avengers #9 was a character trait in the end. Is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

waitingforthet.tumblr.com/tagged/hank-pym
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hank Pym, as has been discussed many times here, is a mad scientist who somehow ended up as a superhero instead of a supervillain. He's an absolute train wreck of a human being who none the less gets out of bed every day to try and save the world, often from disasters he created himself. He's the guy who gibbered that the people who mocked him would rue the day, and then he spent a week stuck inside an anthill judo flipping ants that kept trying to eat him until he could grow back. That's his origin story. Then he built a helmet to make those ants his bitch and went out fighting crime with the doppleganger of his dead wife (who went on to become his second dead wife) because she thought it might be fun.

He's one of the few heroes who always has to pay for his mistakes.

He's an ambitious genius with a heart of gold but he has a history of serious mental issues which has led to him hurting the people he cares about the most (mainly Janet).

He's one of my favorite characters along with Cyclops and Catwoman

Also I don't have the updated list, but you should definitely read Rage of Ultron as well.

That makes sense with what I'm reading, him being a mad scientist who wants to do good. It's even cute how he puts himself hight, but doesn't allow himself to put on top. Serious self esteem shit going on there. But what I don't get is how people says he's boring, seeing him in this. And he's far hated by what I've catch until now, but he's not worse than Reed or Stark, or at least, not than them since the last, I don't know, ten years or so. Again, by this book.

What I'm kind of asking is if this is actually true to the whole character or just the characterization of this writer. I'm sorry if I'm not being clear enough. Is late here and I'm not fresh enough.

Thanks a bunch. I'll read it.

Needs Rage of Ultron

Oh God, this is crazy silly, I think I've found another guy to follow now. Thanks, Sup Forums.

>that stagnation of the other characters
It's just fucking lazy, and they still charge out the ass for comics.

If you're looking for more Pym, I have a few recommendations.

Firstly, although it tends to get pretty panned here, Avengers A.I. spun out of the ending of Age of Ultron and gave a pretty good look at Pym dealing with A.I. monstrosities.

If you're looking for a show, Earth's Mightiest Heroes has one of the best written renditions of Pym to ever come out, chronicling his early adventures as Ant Man and continuing to his mental break and formation of the yellow jacket persona.

Lastly, Avengers Academy is a pretty fun series that stars a team of mostly likeable kids and papa Pym trying his hardest to steer them on the right path.

All in all, they're PYMTASTIC!

Thank you, user. Noted. I cannot watch anything in this right now, but I'll also look for the show later.

Google Kisscartoon.
Use jdownloader to rip the videos from the site if you want hard copies.
>OUR WORLD'S ABOUT TO BREAK!!!!

It works.

Bless you. Thanks a bunch.

>Firstly, although it tends to get pretty panned here, Avengers A.I. spun out of the ending of Age of Ultron and gave a pretty good look at Pym dealing with A.I. monstrosities.
Is this the best thing Dogfucker has ever written?

No, the best thing The Dogfucker has ever written is the comic he did about Dogfucking.

I would argue yes, although I do not personally remember reading anything pre dogfucking. My earliest exposure to Humphries was when he started cowriting Ultimates with Hickman, and any good grace I want to toss his way was acredited to hickman. That said President Cap was a stroke of genius that fit the Ultimate Universe like a glove

I feel like I had a stroke. What are you people going on about?

Sam Humphries claim to fame is writing a short comic titled "Our Love is Real", which takes place in the future, where it is legal to fuck pretty much anything.
The main character is a brutal fascist future-cop who is married to a dog.
Hence Humphries nickname, "the Dogfucker"

I liked Avengers AI despite hating dogfucker

I think a small part of my soul just died. Thanks for answering the question, though.

Honestly, it could be considered high satire, but the harder you look at it the more you realize that it's being played straight-faced.

I went back to reading, now not because I'm waiting but because I've got an incurable cough of death and cannot sleep. Look at this: lovely silly phrase. Pym, Barton and Parker should found a club or something. The Lovely Cheap phrases club.

Almost done with it, it has been a fun read. I'll read Ultron stuff next, probably (more on the drama side, I guess?). This felt doctorwho-ish, I enjoyed that.

I think I didn't want to know that.

Oh, crap, I forgot my pic.

It's true to his characterization in the sense that he has a history of breakdowns and screw-ups.

So one of the key stories from the late '60s Avengers has him lose his mind, take on a new superhero identity as "Yellowjacket" and claim to have killed Hank Pym... and then when Jan figures out who he is, she decides to marry him while he's mentally ill and doesn't remember who he is.

There are other characters who went through insane stories like that, but with Hank the stories where he breaks down were the most memorable, just like all the most memorable stories about his relationship with Jan pointed to how terrible their relationship really was.

So writer after writer has built on that foundation and made Hank more of a fuck-up, and even the writers who try to "redeem" him have to acknowledge all the past stories where he fucked up. That's just his thing.

I see. As I said, I definitely like to read him: he's entertaining and I can see interesting stories coming out of his background: there's lot of space to grow. But I guess, given how comics work, it's almost impossible to make it happen, to transition him through a character arc. It's a pity, tbqh.

OP, if you're still here, Mighty Avengers has a sorta-of sequel series in Avengers Academy.

Michael Douglas is jewish like Paul Rudd.

I hate Slott for making me love Hank/Jocasta.

Science Adventurer Pym was great, shame a confident hero Pym out of costume didn't catch on.

Mighty Avengers is pretty much the only comic ever that made me enjoy Hank Pym.

Granted, it's not like I read much of him, but still.

It was entirely mediocre. So, technically yes, but that's a really fucking low bar.

and that was a skrull

No it wasn't. I'm talking about Slott's Avengers, post SI.

oh, my bad

You already got the reading list in this thread, so I offer you something else: waitingforthet.tumblr.com/tagged/hank-pym

I just hate when writers have other characters shit on him just to shit on him. Like Bendis. Fuck you Bendis

Dont worry. Bendis will only be around at Marvel for what? 2... maybe 3 more decades? After that, maybe we can get back to good ol' Pym, and good comics in general

same.

>all the most memorable stories about his relationship with Jan pointed to how terrible their relationship really was.
Even Busiek, who did try really, REALLY hard, couldn't hide how most of it was Janet fault.

Noted, too. I guess I'll read some more drama oriented stuff before, switching mood for more fun afterwards.

It's crazy fun. Really liked the run. I'm one of the Clint fans that wander here and I even had my portion of him on it. I guess the writer did a fine work. And some user said that the drawing sucked because it was lazy, but I also liked it. It wasn't impressive, but it was alright and it was expressive.

I would happily read science adventures with the science magician guy for SCIENCE, absolutely. It kinds of reminds me of pulp sci fi, which is always fun. Besides he may be crazy or mad, but he does seem to usually have a point. He just needs some foil to adjust him.

>waitingforthet.tumblr.com/tagged/hank-pym
Much appreciated.

Exactly. Yeah, fuck Bendis.