Plastic bag use has plummeted in England since the introduction of a 5p charge last year, the government has said

>Plastic bag use has plummeted in England since the introduction of a 5p charge last year, the government has said.
>If that trend were to continue over the year this would be a drop of 83%.

Why do people act like the free market wouldn't be a complete and utter disaster for the environment? This enforced 5p charge for plastic bags has lead to a huge drop in their use and thus less harm to the environment. Beforehand people were throwing these bags on the ground letting them make every neighbourhood look like shit.

What say you, free market faggots?

>increase in paper bags made from trees
>more trees cut down to compensate for less plastic bags
>good for the environment

Yeah but they're getting used less but produced in equivalent or near equivalent numbers. They all end up somewhere, and they're less likely to be utilised properly now. Instead of ending up in kitchen drawers or being reused, they're going to go straight to landfill.

Unless the supermarkets do the right thing and recycle them

Why not dump all the chemical waste in the ocean? Global Warming is a hoax so it doesn't matter. It's cheaper and better for the economy.

>forestry industry is the same as deforesting the amazon.

Suck my dick

Who the fuck uses paper bags? Reusable bags are the new way to go.

Everyone uses reusable canvas bags now. Have you not been to a supermarket lately?

>Who the fuck uses paper bags?
Americans
Who puts milk in bags?

>littering is legal in free markets
How the fuck did you get to that conclusion?

By next year people will be giving plastic bags to the shops!

fuck off please

No one uses paper bags in the UK apart from in fancy shops.

One major german chain switched to paper bags, no plastic anymore...the fucking things rip the fuck open when you put more than 1kg in it, nice going!!!
They praise themselves for doing good stuff for the environment, while the receipt normally goes right in the trash. So many trees have to die for a piece of paper that only few people actually need, nice going!!!

Aldis charges for bags. Everyone who shops there knows to keep some canvas bags or cardboard flats in their trunk, or you just pay an extra buck for plastic while you're there.

They also don't pay baggers to load your shit, which speeds up check-out immensely. Some retard at Walmart trying to scan everything then having to fuck with the little spindle of plastic bags (which gets two or three items because they tear so easily) takes fucking forever. Aldis cashiers can rip through an entire cart in two minutes. You then throw all the shit back into your cart and take it to a long shelf at the front of the store and bag or box your own shit the way you want it.

They also charge 25 cents for a cart. They all lock together and you put a quarter in to unlock it. You get a quarter back when you return the card and lock it up again. Only 25 cents was enough of an incentive to keep mexicans and niggers from just abandoning their carts in the middle of the parking lot.

I'm OK with this.

>now i have to buy a box full of plastic bags to use for kitchen/bathroom trash instead of just reusing the ones I carried my groceries to the car with

No net benefit.

Because the UK is full of people like pic related.

>They also charge 25 cents for a cart. They all lock together and you put a quarter in to unlock it. You get a quarter back when you return the card and lock it up again. Only 25 cents was enough of an incentive to keep mexicans and niggers from just abandoning their carts in the middle of the parking lot.
Is this unusual in America? In the UK I can't think of a single place where you don't put a pound coin into a cart (we call them trolleys) and then get the pound coin back when you're done with it.

>clueless envirofaggots giving a shit about wasted paper

You know paper comes from a renewable crop, right? Like corn. It literally grows on trees. Which we grow. In farms. You Jewtoon educated monkeys honest think we're cutting down old growth hardwood for paper? Why? Because you saw (((Bugs Bunny))) do it?

And fuck off with your "muh recycling!" too. Recycling paper is literally worse for the environment than growing a new tree.

>in 2030 there will be no paper or plastic bags anymore
>just hemp bags
>there will be a little paragraph on the price tag saying 'biodegradable can be composted"
>2bux plus a 2 dollar tax
>if you use a plastic bag you'll get a ticket

Also this. I have tons of plastic bags I keep for random usage from grocery stores.

Am I the only one who reuses all those plastic bags at home for trash bins and stuff? It's not like they just go straight into the trash. Saves me from having to buy actual trash bags.

And if you guys have problems with idiots throwing trash outside, maybe you should try enforcing your littering laws.

>Recycling paper is literally worse for the environment than growing a new tree.

Is that so? Yeah, it's quite unusual here. There is only one chain I know of that does it. Typically the carts are free and they have parking spots fenced off every so often. They ask customers to please put them back, but if it's more than ten paces away it's too far for an Ameriburger to walk, so they just push them into an empty parking spot, into a ditch, or just send them rolling into other cars to fuck up their paint.

They pay a high school kid to go out once an hour or so and clean up the mess.

>increase in paper bags made from trees
No, people use washable, reusable bags. Some of those bags can be made from recycled disposable bags.

Still, paper bags are actually better for the environment than a plastic bag since you can replant a tree and displace its biomass and carbon content. Trees are carbon neutral.

Aldi's is the only place in America that I am aware of that does this.

>Recycling paper is literally worse for the environment than growing a new tree.
depends on the process used and the source of the "paper". Used cardboard is very suitable for recycling into lesser paper products.

Paper reduction use in general is even better.

Stop acting like that isn't normal, like 95% of American homes have a drawer/cabinet in their home overflowing with saved plastic bags. My sources for this are fuck and you.

What the FUCK america

This is our "poo in loo". We shouldn't litter and make useless waste like Indians need to learn to shit in a toilet.

I'm no fundamentalist when it comes to the environment, but trees are really fucking important for anything. Woods the size of countries get destroyed, and with it everything that depends on them. Not to mention O2 production.

ding ding ding

How about educate the population as to why you wouldn't throw trash in the fucking streets you barbarian.

I do the same. I keep some in the cars too.

WalMart in the US where I live has just started giving people free reusable plastic bags.

Checkmate faggot.

This is hilarious and sad. I've only been to a few larger US stores (Target, Walmart, Vons) and I don't think I've seen such shitty behaviour.

I also now realise why we have to put a quid in it. I always assumed it's to deter people from stealing them, but it's obviously so that people don't fucking leave them everywhere..

Humans are savages.

If that's the case how do these laws benefit the environment, though? People just throw away plastic bags they bought vs throwing away reused plastic bags.

>people stopped using X when X got more expensive
>therefore, the free market cannot work

That seems logical.

You already are paying for the bag idiot.

I am 24 and have never seen a paper bag in my life.

We have a supermarket chain called Publix in the US that stresses "customer service". They pay people to bag groceries, there is no "self-checkout" lanes, they have employees helping you to your car and load your groceries and they have signs everywhere that say "Please do not tip. Helping you is our pleasure".

They have a whole system structured this way to employ a lot of people and give them opportunity to rise in rank at each Publix. For example, all managers, district managers, etc. started from the bottom bagging groceries or working at the meat department etc.

It just depends on the company. Aldi sounds like they have a good philosophy too, like Sam's club- It's Wal-Mart that treats their customers and employees like shit. There is a clear difference in the feeling of their "corporate culture".

All this being said, fuck plastic bags. They are nigger tumble weeds. I need to use my reusable ones every time.

Why do people equate the global warming hoax with a disdain for the environment? It's incredibly disingenuous.

By realizing that man-made global warming is bullshit you can focus efforts on real environmental problems that have an obvious and immediate effect on the planet, instead of a wildly speculative theory of what might happen in hundreds of years time unless we all tax ourselves in to a third-world quality of life.

I never said it would benefit the environment I was just saying this is totally normal for most Americans to do, I don't give a shit about the environment.

This.

>They are nigger tumble weeds.
kek