Story Time- Batman #251 The Joker's 5 Way Revenge

Inspired by another thread hereabouts, I'm going to storytime an oldie but a goodie. It's from way back in the day.
Batman #25 The Joker's 5 Way Revenge By Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams (before he went kookoo and gave us Batman: Odyssey, and The Coming of the Supermen).

"This issue of Batman which hit racks in 1973, diverged from the established conventions of The Joker, his actions and his interactions with Batman, which at that point were more in line with a prankster or mild annoyance more than a wildcard killer. Despite it being rightfully recognixed by many as the measuring stick for a more hard edged take on The Joker, it can often get ordered at the back of the deck, superficially some fans consider the late 80’s where Death in The Family, Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns were gaining Batman and his nemesis a new level of recognition as the defining period for both."

I'm using the scan of the original issue instead of a newer, more cleaned up and recolored version for historical purposes.

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.zippyshare.com/v/ME3oZg6k/file.html
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Batman apologizing for not saying hi
What a strange time.

While this is a good story, I honestly think the only reason it's so famous is because it was the first time in decades that The Joker started killing again. There are definitely much better Joker stories from the same time period such as Laughing Fish (not that that one isn't also revered)

What a jackass that boxer.

Does anyone know in what collections I could find this story?

The end.
Twenty three pages to tell a story that would be stretched over 6 issues and 20 crossovers if published today.

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed it!

thank

Thanks.

True. The Joker moved away from that cold-blooded killer way back in the 30's, and for the next 4 decades was the "Clown Prince of Crime" who continually plagued Batman with his jokes and funny gimmicks.
This was an early, if not one of the first "return to the roots" type of story. And while you're right, Laughing Fish may be a better story, this was the one that set some of the later changes into motion.

Also gets knocked out by a punk with no training, and then by Joker, who's hiding in the room. So much for "The Batgod"

Hey, take your shots when you can! It's not every day you get to belt Batman!

I have never heard of sharks being attracted to red.

Because they're not. It's a myth about bulls, and that one's not even true either.

Another interesting tidbit about this story.
Dear God, I think I'm about to open a can of worms here.

Christ, every mention I ever see of Bob Kane involves him acting like a different kind of tool. Motherfucker must be the whole damn toolbox.

Also:
This piece was used for YEARS on DC inspired stickers, stationary, posters, party goods, etc. In some cases the utility belt was redrawn, but in some cases it wasn't.

That's what's bizarre about it. At least with bulls it's a longstanding old wives' tale.

He was an absolute asshole of the highest caliber
I met him a a con back in '89, and yu could just feel the sleaziness dripping off of him as he sat there basking in the adoration of clueless fans.
The to watch him turn 50 shades of red when somebody would bring up Finger or Robinson, or one of his many ghost artists.

If I ever make it back to LA, I'll stop by Forrest Lawn and pour a bottle of whiskey over his grave. After I pass it through my kidneys first!

The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
It's been reprinted a few times. If you want to buy it, you can probably find it for less than 25 buckaroos. I got it for less than that.

In case anyone wants a download:
Batman 251 (1973) (digital) (Minutemen-InnerDemons).cbr
www3.zippyshare.com/v/ME3oZg6k/file.html
It's also a CMX digital rip.

You could write a fucking book on this epitaph alone.

Every fucking time I see it I want dig the grave and punch his corpse