What's the relation/influence of Scandinavia in England?

What's the relation/influence of Scandinavia in England?

I know that there were many Viking raids in British soil - but is that just it? Did they influence the language or culture somehow?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York
viking.no/e/england/e-yorkshire_norse.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

anyone?

There's a cool documentary on YouTube that I found quite a while ago on the history of English, with quite a few episodes being dedicated solely to Britain
I can't remember the name of it and it's quite old, but there is 7 or so episodes and if you can find it, it's worth the watch

kinda hard to find it with so little info but thanks for the heads up anyway

>English is a West Germanic language that was first spoken in early medieval England and is now a global lingua franca.[4][5] Named after the Angles, one of the Germanic tribes that migrated to England, it ultimately derives its name from the Anglia (Angeln) peninsula in the Baltic Sea. It is closely related to the Frisian languages, but its vocabulary has been significantly influenced by other Germanic languages, particularly Norse.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

>we wuz pure anglo-saxons, my dear friend, don't pay attention to our deeply rooted christian religion and traditions and our french vocabulary. Oh, blimey, it's team time!

Well. the normans was vikings and they conquered England and held it for 1000 years, and created the english language

The Anglo-Saxons mostly came from the Northern Germany and Southern Denmark area, and Old English was very closely related to Old Norse. A good comparison would be the relationship between Swedish, Norwegian and Danish today. A certain degree of mutual intelligibility and ease of learning. For a period of time the Anglo-Saxons were ruled over by Vikings, and as expected this changed Anglo-Saxon culture quite massively. For instance English identity only became a unified thing because of the Norse threat. When the Norse had finally managed to conquer all of England they obviously left an impact, but much of this legacy was wiped after the Norman invasion not long after. I think around 7% of the average modern Englishman's genes originated in Scandinavia, so interbreeding between the two populations was clearly common during this time. The modern day English, while they may not like to admit it, are much closer to the French in mindset and culture than they are to the Scandinavians. The Anglo-Saxon upper class was completely and utterly wiped out, and so all previous links with Scandinavia became history. In the following 800 years the English language would draw heavy influence from French and England would be at war with France almost constantly. It's interesting to hypothesise what England would look like today had the Normans never invaded, but we'll never know for sure.

dumb paki

It's like relation/influence of Turkmenistan in Turkey but weaker

christianity came long before the normans you silly billy

wow, please don't be rude

They heavily influence the language, and supposedly the law system although I don't know much about the latter.

influenced, sorry*

Very interesting post.
I wonder why England always had a feud with France, given their proximity to one another. Was it simply because of power?

Also, if you don't mind me asking - what's the general view of Brits towards Scandinavians?
Positive? Don't care?

we liek them

we would be nordic n sheit

t. john de beaufort-cecil

Feudalism is a very complicated system, but to summarise it, the new Kings and nobles of England all had claims to French land and the French throne. When France had a bad king, one who wasn't supported by French nobles, or one who was simply too weak, the French nobles would instead support the English king or the English would declare war for more land and riches, and a war would start. English foreign policy during this time was essentially preventing any one kingdom in Europe from dominating, so it wasn't always due to rights and claims that the English would fight France. Sometimes it was simple pragmatism. England doesn't have enough land to dominate Europe, so it made sure that nobody else could by allying with whoever they needed to, and betraying whoever they needed to. "Perfidious Albion".

As for how English people see Scandinavians today, it's mostly a neutral-positive view. Tall and hardworking blondes who live in the freezing north.

wow that's actually a really nice and concise explanation. Have you studied Britain's history in depth? That sounds very interesting m8.

Are there museums in England dedicated solely to Anglo Saxons? I like medieval history a lot, even though I'm a philistine monkey.

?

used to be way more prominent until the normans came along

Nah, mostly just a passing interest. I can give you a basic rundown and summary but I don't really know anything specific. Can't tell you much about any Museums in particular but the big ones like the British Museum have a few exhibits for the Anglo-Saxons and Normans.

Some cities have their routes in Vikings settlements

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York
York is very much "MUH VIKING HERITAGE"

have you had a look in the mirror lately?

York looks great.

yes, the dane laws and the scot vikings lived there for a while and ireland too, hundreds of years

In the North we use certain words that are influenced by the Scandinavians
probably the most common one is calling your mother "mam" instead of "mum" like the rest of England does.

viking.no/e/england/e-yorkshire_norse.htm
There's a full list of them here, but this list is more specific to Yorkshire rather than the North in general and a lot of the words are only used by old rural farmers

A lot of Geordie (and especially rural Northumbrian stuff up around Alnwick and the like) is very heavy with the Scandinavian loanwords. Although it's a bit more complicated than that, since there's a question of whether they're Scandinavian or whether Old English was intelligible with Norse and that it's just very, very conservative.

I think people overestimate the viking influences. Sure, they influenced a lot, but it's not like the connection between Britain and Scandinavia ceased after the vikings.

are, leg, axe, window, kill, dirt, muck, rotten
Those are the only words i can think of right now that are derived from old norse

Stfu England is ours

The anglosaxon law school was influenced by normans, no?

Well the thing is everything around the North Sea was based on trade which had no reason to stop after the end of the Viking Age. It's just victors write the history so the Viking Age still looms large in the public consciousness

why