Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1947.5

This is a Japanese language learning thread designed by and for those interested in traditional otaku media such as anime, manga, light novels, Japanese video games, etc.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/
Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/rnb1SkfA
nhentai.net/g/185062/
youtu.be/lTGijx1n64o
youtube.com/watch?v=vsO2WxwOeyc&list=RD4grZteJFFQI&index=6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A good way to keep the thread from dying is to argue about Sakubi.

Ohayo DJT

I am an engineer soon to go on a business trip to Japan. How much time will it take me to learn some key formalities and business phrases? I have an interpreter but I will be making the effort to at least introduce myself and conduct basic conversation in Japanese, I want to know how long this will take so that I can set aside the time.
Thanks

When are you going?

Multiple times between February and August.
I might be seconded there for an entire year, beginning November 2018

sakubi?you mean 昨日(yesterday)?

昨日《さくび》・作日《さくび》 - a made-up name

I had a US co-worker in my office and after months of staying he managed to speak like
>>"ブチョウハ ワタシノ オウサマデス"
>>"ワタシハ カイシャノ ドレイデス"

奴隷になりて~

i usually use さくじつ or きのう . I have never used さくび.

it's a made-up name, not a word

アメリカ人じゃなあ…
研修生制度って知ってる?

東方のなんかじゃないの?

Use the Japanese Thread / 日本語スレッド for IRL shit. This is a thread for weebs.

Apologies, that's where i thought i was

If you're planning on learning some of the language there will not be enough time to learn anything of use. Even the most hardcore of hardcore would take at least year to be able to hold a conversation.
Perhaps learn the hiragana and katakana. And read Tae Kim's Grammar guide a few times, it will give you a general sense of the language.

Just focus on cultural customs.

You can learn "watashi wa smith des. yoroshku." in a day, but learning to understand whatever responses you might get is going to take a lot longer. If "soon" is some time within the next few months, then forget communicating with anyone to any meaningful degree. It's not going to happen.

unless you go there right now and spend all day every day trying to talk to people without somehow ending up in jail

正直に言って、女の子のおしっこするのを見たい。ヤバイな~

same

which moon rune is this?

Noted - I'll just learn some formal phrases then. Most of the client's board speak a little English anyway, I just wanted to learn some out of politeness and respect. Only just found out that I'm going so hardly had time to prepare.

I plan to start doing daily lessons and study in my lunch break and evenings, hopefully I'll have something of a foundation if they ever second me.

Thanks to all three of you for replying.

選ぶポイントとか

Why doesn't this sentence translate to "a person that good-hearted doesn't exist"?

implied numberlessness

>>I plan to start doing daily lessons and study in my lunch break and evenings, hopefully I'll have something of a foundation if they ever second me.
Someone made this as an alternative to the main guide over on the /jp/ threads. It's more concise and honestly seems to be better, so give it a look over to avoid wasting your time with inefficient/counter-productive study activities:
pastebin.com/raw/rnb1SkfA

Because that's a literal translation. The implied meaning is what matters.

でけーお尻を見ると、ちんぽはぼっきになるっ!

尻は大きさより形

It could, but it depends on the context. Without it both are valid.

>he thinks Holidays are for taking a break and slowing down
>he promises to give his all next year

>exams
>spend more time learning Japanese than the stuff I'm supposed to learn (math)
Why can I only put effort in learning Japanese when I'm not supposed to?

それはそうと思うだが、二次元の方が好き

>there are people in this world who took yesterday off because it is Christmas.

user, you can easily get to N5 in under 1~1,5 month. Here's my prescription to you, assuming you have 2 hours to spare a day:

- Learn all hiragana/katakana by the end of 2017 (some learn it in a few hours, some take 1 week). Read the TaeKim lessons about it (all of The Writing System unit);
- Read 1 new TaeKim grammar page every day, except for the "Advanced" section. Also review last day's grammar point before studying a new one, it should take only a couple minutes. That's 42 grammar lessons, so 1 month and 11 days. You can do more than a lesson a day, but bear in mind you have to review it afterwards, so piling up too much stuff can backfire;
- Do Core2k on Anki, it comprises 60% of all the language you need. Generally people do 20 words a day and learn all of 2k in 100 days. If you double that amount, you'll be done in 50. That's still pushing it to February 19th, but hey, you can keep doing your flashcards during the trip itself.

PROBLEM:
Within 2 months, the Anki cards will have piled up and you'll probably be doing a LOT of reps, taking maybe 1 hour, potentially 2 if you're like the average brainlet (some DJTers could easily handle it within 30~40 mins). There is also TaeKim, so you'll be juggling a lot of things and it might go over your time frame.
If you have to reduce anything, trim your Anki cards, you'll still know almost 1000~1500 of them by the time you travel (respectively with a 20/30 cards a day), plus the basic conversational grammar by TaeKim.

Ideally you'd have a few months of leeway to practice listening and reading, but if you can watch some shows/animu in your spare time, just to get used to the sound of it, that's good. Also, pick an episode to listen to over and over throughout the days, switch the subs to Japanese when you feel confident that you know the content. Try to shadow (repeat/imitate on the spot) what the characters are saying. Shadowing the Anki Core2k sample sentences is also a good measure.

ファイト!

>Why can I only put effort in learning Japanese when I'm not supposed to?
Procrastination is a hell of a drug. Sometimes I'd rather clean than do coursework.

is this a subtle brappost?

Should I be doing the 6k deck alongside Genki? Maybe I'm just a brainlet but it's getting too overwhelming for me.Too much new information.
I was thinking about switching to the Genki deck

Genki, mining and 6k.

>he thinks I actually have family and friends to distract me from my SACRED QUEST TO ACHIEVE SATORI IN NIHONGO

because you're procrastinating by justifying "oh I still have to do X" no you don't, get back to studying, x can wait.

Why would people want to learn Japanese?

Korea is booming. A lot of young people, a simpler writing system, a better culture, handsomer people, a more cultured youth and so on.

Korea has a population that consumes shit. Look at kpop views and k-dramas. They're fucking huge.

Japan's time is over.

>Korea has a population that consumes shit
Indeed they do.

Why not both?

Why would people want to learn Korean?

Botswana is booming. A lot of young people, a simpler writing system, a better culture, handsomer people, a more cultured youth and so on.

Botswana has a population that consumes shit. Look at Libertarian views and crops. They're fucking huge.

Korea's time is over.

What does わり mean in this sentence?
それはわりといつもの...良い

This is the bane of my existence. No other card gives me this much difficulty.

産業

For some reason I keep thinking it means "production"

割と: "relatively; comparatively"

this is relatively always ... good ?

Mixing it up with 生産? Just remember from the
kanji that 産業 is production + business and 生産 is new + production.

え?見るだけなの?舐め回したいし飲みたい。

anime

does watching anime with jap subtitles count as learning?

nani the fuck

Yes.

>敷居が高い is an expression
Woah.

I'm having some trouble with this sentence

>歩き通しだったので、日が沈むになるとお腹が減り始めました。
I get that she was walking, the sun went down, and she was starting to get hungry.
I'm having trouble with two things: I know that ので is similar to から but I'm unsure what it's doing here. I'm also unsure what と is doing later in the sentence. Are they both conditionals here? I don't understand how the sun going down can be a conditional for her getting hungry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ので is used because 歩き通しだった is the reason for お腹が減り始めました.
と means "when" here. The whole phrase になると is covered in DoJG and HJGP so you should read both the と entry and that.

Thanks user, I understand now.

>learning useless irrelevant language because of autistic cartoons and overrated video games

how can you be so pathetic?

Anyone here use(d) animelon for mining?

>⻏

WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE

that's the PINNACLE but don't confuse with 㠯 which is MAESTRO

it's only pinnacle when on the left side :^)

>PINNACLE
>pinnacle
you guys mean mound?

thats a cute loli

Here I'll teach you noobs

阪 if you're scared of heights, you're anti- the pinnacle because it's a floating city right out of my jrpgs
障 a cop with a badge checks for hindered/handicapped people at the entrance of the pinnacle
際 pinnacle matsuri is a bar mitzavah because heisig is a dirty jew
随 follow the yellow brick road that possesses everything you'd want
陽 pinnacle is a place of sunshine
防 they warded dirty third world immigrants off the opposite direction of the pinnacle
院 pinnacle has the perfect HOSPITAL institutions
陣 I camped outside the pinnacle in my car
部 that's muzzle, they keep that section of the city muzzled (because it was noisy)
隊 pinnacle is full of war pigs in the military regiment
墜 the war pigs got shot down on the war but managed to safely land their planes on the floating pinnacle
降 my neighbor descends the slope from the pinnacle while wearing cool shades because he's such a cool guy
階 pinnacle has lotsa high buildings with many people standing on every-storey (floor)
隣 america wearing cool shades is our greatest ally
隔 the pinnacle is so isolated you can only see it in photographs
隠 I hid my scarecrow at the pinnacle, I also rest my heart with certainty knowing my wheat is secretly kept at a fort in the mountains 密
陥 the pinnacle is a floating city bound and hanging by chains that if they were to break, the whole city would collapse.

Forgot to mention pinnacle is mexico and america is their NEIGHBOR
Fixed.

Adorable character designs.
nhentai.net/g/185062/

good taste

sick of mining desu

すげい, instead of すごい
すまねい, instead of すまない
じゃねい, instead of じゃない

Is using the E sound like this a dialect thing, if so of where?

I should probably memorize hiragana and katakana before starting on Genki, right?

Yes, you technically only need to know it by chapter 3, but it's better to start getting used to it as early as possible. Learning itself doesn't take long, but being comfortable with reading them does.

You should read the OP.

youtu.be/lTGijx1n64o

成長白

Tokyo

Never heard of it. Is it close to Seoul?

it's actually pretty logical when you think about it

we also have weird stuff that you shouldn't take too literally, I can't think of a good example right now but let's just take french with s'il vous plait = if it pleases you = please

Bump

It's the season of Bounen-kai.

Actually bumped the thread to ask something but I found the answer somewhere else anyway. Might as well share about it.
I learned about adding まくる to indicate something being done "all around" (e.g. 散りまくる is to scatter all around) or done something in a great amount (e.g. フェロモンが出まくる (lit. emit a lot of pheromones; have a strong sexual appeal).

何か忘れたい?

I have Anki on my phone. App is installed to internal storage and I moved all files to the portable SD card.
But it isn't recognizing the deck. What's the matter?

阪 (it's a HILL, just learn it)
障 reading this chapter feels like climbing a hill, it HINDERS my progress, HARMING my studies
随 inanimate (有る) things move down the hill, FOLLOWing its shape, OBEYing the laws of physics
陽 on top of the hill, you can watch a beautiful SUN's rays cover the land and all animals below (think the Lion King scene)

# Welcome to Hilltown!
階 Hilltown, where everyone lives, is built in several LAYERS on the hill, but there are STAIRS between them
部 that SECTION of Hilltown is a bunch of stupid hill people, just mouth-breathers standing around
院 they completed building an INSTITUTION to put all those idiots away
際 town festivals are held on top of the hill, near the altar at the EDGE. but only on OCCASION

# The story of the army!
陣 the army (with chariots) is CAMPed on the hill, in FORMATION, and ready for BATTLE
防 because on top of the hill, the commander can DEFEND on all sides
隊 the commander put the UNIT of pigs on top of the hill as well (easier to grok if you've played Rome: Total War)
陥 oh no, parts of the hill COLLAPSED and FELL down the gaping hole (abyss) below
墜 oh great, some of the pigs fell DOWN (to the ground below) as well

# Our antisocial neighbour!
隣 our NEIGHBOUR's been starting fires on top of the hill every night for over a year
隔 in ISOLATION, on top of that hill, he has to brew his own soup in a kettle EVERY OTHER day, because it's so DISTANT
隠 he's trying to HIDE himself from the world, placing his heart under the rocks on that hill, CONCEILING his true feelings
降 but eventually, he's going to have to DESCEND (walk down) the hill, he can't stay up there for another year

Is that girl with the earrings a halfu?

youtube.com/watch?v=vsO2WxwOeyc&list=RD4grZteJFFQI&index=6

Why are there so many nips in my Animal Crossing instance? I haven't seen like any westerners.

>watching any Nihongo no Mori video
>can understand everything perfectly, feel good about myself
>watching a Japanese drama
>have to pause at every other sentence because I can't understand shit

The worst feeling

I've been fiddling with ポケ森 for the past few days and my friends take forever to help me with ゴロゴロ鉱山. I need all dat おしょうがつのもと...

How long have you been studying?

2 years and I passed the N3 and currently aiming for N2 in the summer. However, my listening comprehension is absolutely terrible. I can read and write just fine though

Yes, invest your priceless time in daddy's Kim's nusclear bomb test site.

I was trying to translate random stuff that I came across, and I saw the relatively cringey line "the kind of face that would be cruel not to kiss". Would it be ok if I said 「口付けしなければ残酷をする笑顔の方/口付けしなきゃひどい笑顔の方」? I'm not sure about the 方, but given that this is kinda an ad hoc thing, that was the first thing to cross my mind.

"The kind of smile" I meant, my bad.

The first thing that comes to my mind is キスしなければひどいほどの笑顔.
口付ける sounds a little too formal/old but you can go with that if that's what you're aiming for.

I honestly tweaked it a little to 「口付けしなきゃ残酷をする笑顔の類だよ」 and posted it in the other thread as a joke. I'm trying to write as much as I can and engage in conversations, hopefully somebody'll eventually say sth. I really have no idea how to use ほど even now...this, など and 当て, mostly because they seem really alien to me. You think 類 is fine though?

Also, thanks a bunch!

How do u guys write り? I've seen a lot people say writing it with two separate strokes is the correct way but writing it connected is easier and looks better imo

It's just preference, like writing a