What does a scanner see Sup Forums?

What does a scanner see Sup Forums?

Book made me choke up.

literally what does this mean

haven't seen this movie since i was like 14

Into the mind? into the heart?

Does it see into me? Into us?

The book is about self-knowledge and fragmentation of an individual. The question is about whether it's possible to analyze who someone truly is. He imagines a video camera recording a person - does that give us access to the full story about them? If not, he despairs, as we see ourselves poorly; we have little conception of who we truly are, as seen in the splitting of the main character, and also the allusions he makes to past lives he used to have.
Dick adapts a biblical passage about seeing the world through a glass darkly (as if it were a mere reflection) and uses that idea to comment on the futility of self-knowledge and identification

Fuck, now I'm getting cozy deep with this user.

What other deep meanings lie behind the film?

I love this book and film. One line that always stayed with me, and I've thought about a lot, is when she tells Bob, "it's easy to win. Anyone can win". It just seems like such a mournful and bittersweet reflection on the wasted losers the book is dedicated to.

that's a little depressing but interesting

i should read the book (or at least rewatch the movie)

Dick is generally pessimistic I think about being able to identify what makes you *you*. This theme comes across in many other books, particularly Flow my Tears, the Policeman Saif and Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Not to mention of course VALIS, which is an autobiographical account (kind of) of Dicks own preoccupation of the issue, probably stemming from a deep psychotic break he has in which he is not sure who he is.

The same themes are present that Dick is generally obsessed with. the constitution of personhood, the validity of paranoia and madness, the role of the government etc.

A scanner darkly remains one of his best works because it exchanges high sci-fi concepts for human interactions, and ones motivated by his own personal interactions with drug abuse. In doing so he deals with not only the philosophical themes of fragmentation of the self, but also captures a generation of deadbeat addicts and wastemen that he was a part of himself, peoplr disaffected with government and law, living on the fringes of acceptable society

Also i love the rotoscoping effect.

I always thought PKD would be a great candidate for having a biopic about him. He was very interesting.

Thanks user. This means a lot. First time in a long time I've been able to find some real answers and responses to this deep and meaningful film. VALIS sounds very interesting for me personally as recently I started going off anti-depressents and mood stabilizers and I'm starting to rediscover who I once was. It's like I've been living in a complete fog for a number of years. But drugs really will fuck with your head and I can totally relate to the self-revelation/psychotic break downs.

Again man, thanks for all this.

No worries, all the best.
VALIS is an interesting, of somewhat disturbing read, as it really does feel like the first stages of full blown schizophrenia. In any case, it's a great read for anyone whose ever felt like they are multiple people.

scanner darkly is the only pkd book to get a true movie adaptation, which is why i really like it

True. Man in the high castle was a decent, if disappointing, attempt.
Also while minority report is nothing like the short story, I enjoy the film. Same with total recall

Why haven't there been more attempts to make more of his work into film adaptations??

There have been a few. Mostly terrible

dick was a talentless hack, fuck off

>mfw there is a talking Philip K Dick robot.

Bad bait, or you're a severely OCD prosefag.

what does he dream of?

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 13:12

That is true but his madness is an interesting read

go for the later books

lol yeh. this movie is awesum when ur high

>I saw death rising from the earth, from the ground itself, in one blue field... a present for my friends... at thanks giving

there's something so saddening about keanu saying this at the ending
it really gets me

ikr its like wtf man what is even happening lol

desu it's a better PKD adaptation than Blade runner

t. Brainlets

pointless thing to say. so do you feel better?

Straight from the Martian Time-Slip

He was turned into the ultimate mindslave pawn of the institution which had been exploiting him for its own purpose since he lost control of his life.

The same 'death' he was going to bring back to the NARCs is the same substance which made him the mental invalid he needed to be to perform their task.

user, you seem to have a good grasp on dick, could you explain anything about the exegesis of phillip k. dick?

is that the one that said that it would keep humans in zoos once the robot uprising happens?

Straight up scriptural revelation. Its his explanation of the religious epiphany he experienced during a divine vision he attributed to being struck by a beam of light reflected from a jesus fish medallion into his mind by the holy spirit.

Its an epistemology for space and time based on the gospel according to his personal revelation.