Mad Men

I tried watching this series once before and couldn't get into it for some reason. I decided to try it again since I have nothing else to watch and I'm hooked. I'm only on the third episode of the first season, but man this show has dug its claws into me. The presentation of a bygone era is like a punch to the face. It's the perfect remedy for the bullshit P.C./SJW times we live in.

General Mad Men discussion. What am I in for? Any episodes/seasons I should avoid? Does the quality drop off at any point?

>Any episodes/seasons I should avoid?
Yeah skip seasons 2, 3 and the first 4 episodes of season 5 you fucking idiot.

You're in for a ride, then you get to the last season and they fuck everything up and you'll hate it. Actual spoiler why: he turns into a hippy yoga meditating faggot and then it's over

>fucking idiot
no you. seriously, explain what you meant or stick a pogo stick up your ass and bounce the fuck off

Does the ending make any kind of sense or did it come out of nowhere?

he was burnt out and clearly needed a break
they built up to it

I guess it kind of makes sense, but you're going to get attached to Don because he's a cool whisky-drinkin alpha and dapper as fuck, then your world comes crashing down when he turns into a meditating hippy. It's never nice to see your idols turn into what you despise

I'm glad I know where it's headed. I can already tell that he's jaded and tired of his suburban life so it's nice to know they'll lead it somewhere, even if it is to a strange place.

Lots of people start watching this show for le ebin mid-century ad man drinks a lot but then get disappointed because its actually a pretty deep drama about a man who is lost in a changing world.
This show is perfect in almost every way imo, and the place in time is very much a part of the setting.
You sound like you got Sup Forums'd so prepare to watch this show and wish you only had their problems. But read some history about the time and really consider Don and the other's situations, the show does a great job incorporating "current events" into metaphors and its actually really interesting.
Also, the first two posters are fags don't listen to them. The ending makes sense and was good.

Lol these idiots missed the ending entirely. Dont listen to these guyd OP the ending was alright, dont skip stuff, thatd just lazy. The show gets better with rewatches.

this

I didn't miss the point. I just would have rather the ending was he couldn't be helped/DGAF, and ended with him in bed with a bunch of naked hotties and a glass of whisky and a lucky strike.

Then he breaks the fourth wall, looks at the camera, and winks
>"I guess I'm just a... mad man"

Roll credits

>Sup Forums'd
not at all. aside from the casual racism (which i don't care about either way) i was thinking about the birthday party in episode three and how one of the little boys knocked over a glass and his father's friend slapped him in the face then his dad threatened to give him some more. that sort of parenting is so outdated that some people don't even realize how commonplace it once was. it grabbed my attention to say the least, and it was such a minor scene.

it's not that I was planning on skipping anything, but in every discussion like this someone always talks about the shitty episodes and seasons so i figured i'd ask upfront to get it out of the way

In discussion you're either going to get
>Just watch it, it's good or whatever
>Discussion about stuff you haven't seen yet that you won't understand
>Or general negativity

I'm just being negative since I know you're going to watch it anyway. Don't let me dissuade you, it just may be an opinion that you'll think back to and be like "yeah that user was right. what a load of horseshit. good show though"

Besides, the number of times I've let bad reviews dissuade me from watching something, then eventually watching and realizing it was good is too high to count.

I've yet to be put off by any sort of reviews with shows (especially since it doesn't take much effort to find out for myself if I'll like it.) I've always had the opposite problem where the hype can't match the reality, but I try to ignore the emotion of any review and focus on the content. It seems like most everyone agrees that Mad Men has a lot of depth and character development so I've got that to look forward to.

You'll like it then.

Also drink lots of fluids and stay hydrated, you're going to cum buckets when you reach the zooby zooby zoo and whoever you live will find you passed out with your dick glued to your stomach

Test

When does that occur? I want to prepare myself in advance

nice waste of trips

One scene where I was actually kind of horrified is when after the family has a picnic and they are set to leave, Don just flicks all the trash off the picnic blanket onto the grass in the park.

See, it's details like that that have made me interested. I guess when I first gave it a go I figured it was just a boring period piece about a bunch of caricatures, but I'm glad I've come to see it as more.

Quick search tells me s05e01
That actually brought me back, my generation was right on the cusp (mid eighties) where that was still normal and the whole recycling phenomenon started taking foot. If you had trash, you'd get a bag together on the weekend and chuck it into the woods while you were driving. Everyone did it and it wasn't weird. Typically stuff you'd throw was glass or tin cans.

You're missing everything the show is actually about. Stop now to avoid disappointing and embarrassing yourself.

>enter this thread
>actually become stupider by the second

This board was meant for memes and nothing else

So enlighten me. What is the show about? Also, I have no expectations so I can't possibly be disappointed.

Oh look it's the board police

>It's the perfect remedy for the bullshit P.C./SJW times we live in.
Except everything has a "now we know better" irony and it couldn't be more SJW.

>read this comment
>become a genius

Thanks stranger.

I guess what I meant to say was they don't present it by sugarcoating the past or viewing it through rose-colored glasses (as far as I've seen). It feels fairly honest and stark without trying to demonize the characters (again, not from what I've seen.)

Overall it's a good show. Occasionally it gets boring as shit, not unlike the Sopranos with AJ/Carmela/Meadow scenes, which are quality television but by far the most boring part of the show. You shouldn't skip anything but prepare for some slow moving plots and unnecessary and almost forced relationship drama.

don't listen to this idiot

I think the show should have ended with him jumping out the window like in the intro

It would had been more appropriate if he slipped on a banana peel and his fall to the street was super slow-mo and dramatised like in the intro. Then he gets up and says to his posse "heck, that was really mad, men".

Actually the final scene is Don meditating and then it cuts to one of the most famous Coca Cola commercials ever - implying that Don invented the commercial. It tells us that at the end of the day Don is addicted to his work and is pulled back into the game to make perhaps one last incredible Coca Cola ad - after spending some time as a hippy.