What do you think is your favorite comic of all time?

What do you think is your favorite comic of all time?

What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

It's a tossup between life and times of scrooge mcduck and usagi yojimbo.

The Sandman.

From Hell.

It's funny how I had actually never thought about it. It could very well be pic related series, since I read it at least once a year and I love it every time

My ligga; Maybe Jeff Smith's Bone as well

Solid taste all around.

I cannot choose just one so have my most recent answer

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run

These. Though, if I had to pick a definitive favourite, I'd go with Swamp Thing.

I liked this comic but it wasn't my favorite

Gotta rep. Also: The Spirit, Judge Dredd, Asterix and

Marvels I guess

I've always wondered what your favourite Dredd story was, Judge.

Be honest, anons: Is Cerebus really worth it?

Human Diastrophism

Transmetropolitan.

I don't consider it the "best" comic, by any means. I just hold it pretty deep in me.

Cheers on Swamp Thing. What's your bottom left?

have you read box browns other comics?

A Contract with God

A Contract with God.

Shit man, don't make me choose... It's probably the Apocalypse War, because fuck yeah, Apocalypse War. But in somewhat objective terms of character development and themes, it's either America or the Origins/Tour of Duty sequence.

Yes, definitely.

Talking about Gerber's whole run here, but the Howard for President arc is one I particularly like, and I love this cover.

I really, really wanted to like Eisner back in school. The artwork is great, but the general storytelling, the "delivery" is just too hammy for me

Love & Rockets. It's a brilliant, huge series that would end up being my top 10 if you broke it down to individual stories.

Excellent. Thanks.

yeah, he was already outclassed by underground cartoonists and stories from EC even before he published a contract with god when it came to telling serious stories about real people. the only thing he really had for him was his cartooning. i appreciate eisner but I don't really enjoy any of his work outside of his art.

It's gotta be Jimmy Corrigan: the Smartest Kid on Earth, for me. Something about the story really resonated with me (which is funny, because I have a great dad).

OP here, not my favorite, but it deserves more appreciation on this board.

Honestly don't know how they'll ever top this. It's just mind boggling good

Sup Forums is more into Rusty Brown.

Is their any Marvel series currently that aren't trash?

Hard to choose one but Transmetropolitan, the first volume of Resurrection Man, Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman, The Life and Times of Scrooge Mcduck and The Sensational She-Hulk come to mind

Vision

Literally all of them are great. Probably the best Marvel has ever been. Only filthy cis scum dislike Marvel

Usagi Yojimbo, thanks to some user who storytimed every single issue two years ago over four months or so. I forget what that namefag storytimer called himself, though

(1/2)

(2/2)

Spoopy.

Just did that. I can safely say my ultimate favorite is Shamo. The line between ''favorite'' and ''like a lot'' gets blurry after that. A lot of books gets omitted that way.

Lucifer takes it for me.

It depresses me to think that Eisner's one of those artists that'll probably be forgotten or obscure in the next few decades. His work doesn't really resonate with newer audiences, it seems.

I like plenty of older comics from his era. I just don't think he's a great writer.

Sky Doll

And if I'm feeling like a f/a/g, Solanin.

probably Sandman

I remember now, it was Btype

What's the bottom center one?

All the feels

I think that first one of the Contract with God is very powerful, with the man who's daughter died. There's a lot going on there, this questions of mans connection to God and all that. Just the art of the man in the rain walking home I think it very striking.

The others aren't quite as good as that.

My favorite is probably pic related. It's hard to decide though.

Shamo

What's it about?

Edgy manga about a martial fighter. Good artwork, though and the narrative has its ups and downs.

Dude goes crazy, murder his parents, go to jail, get fit, becomes a fighter. Eventually get out of jail and tries to become a professional. The Prison stuff is bretty gud, but everything afterward is pretty standard Seinen practices.

I would say Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider run.

Bottom right?

Jack and Stan FF
Hellboy
Ultimate Spider-Man

Sub-Mariner: The Depths

It's the Marvel Knights version of Namor written by Peter Milligan. It's a personal choice for me. It's essentially Alien set in the ocean deep with Namor as the Alien.

FF from the 65 to 98

Starman was amazing, I've been meaning to read it again for ages.

Also All Star Superman, Astro City, and, on a much lower scale, Invincible.

This thread seems to have some great recommendations on non superhero comics though, which I've been meaning to check out more, what else can you suggest?

Oh and I'm very curious, I know nothing about the Life and Times of Scrooge Mcduck, or any of the duck comics for that matter, why is it considered so amazing?

It's more than that. You can read the manga as this standard seinen martial art thing were the main character is an asshole and where the fights are kinda cool. But it's really about the place of man in society. The main character's problem is that he always felt locked from his true self. He's an edgy kid that was always bullied by everyone that eventually snapped and that has to suffer for the rest of his life. He's basically stuck in a circle of violence where he has no-where else to escape since everyone hates him (and he hates everyone in return).

Saying it like this, it sounds like the kind of book an angsty kid would love. But the story and the characters are really well done and you'll find eventually that the manga isn't about the fights but about what's around it. You'll be more fascinated by Ryo's spirals into violence than his next tournament.

Mooracleman
...That was genuinely a typo that I figured was too perfect to correct.

Sounds good, I might check it out when I have the time. I don't mind edgy stuff as long as the characters are more than just edgelords.

Hell, one of the comics I've been enjoying the most recently is Hellper, which pretty much starts off as 100% edgy before it proceeds to file down the edges.

Planetary. Always.

My favorite is probably Superman :for all seasons. Just a simple comfy story of someone trying to find his place in the world, like the rest of us.

>Hellboy
Mah nigga.

It's fucking great whenever he's not making main characters The Marx Brothers or The Three Stooges or whoever

Skim through the chapters until you get to the last book. Then skim through the bullshit god bits of the last book and read the best writing in the entire series.

I can't really put my finger on why but I hate this page so goddamn much.

Second choice would probably be IDW Teenage Mutant ninja turtles, it's a pretty fun ride.

I've only read the first 1/2 or so of Scrooge but it's just really really well done comics and adventure stories.

But Julius is one of the best parts.

>he first volume of Resurrection Man

Mah Nigga.

Honestly, it's this.

It seems surprisingly cluttered for a Cooke page.

Planetary
Hitman

To some, not me. I don't know why I'm allergic to it I just am.
Might have been different if he'd just made the character and not made him look like him, or had him look like him but not taken time out of the story to do his old bits. Just completely ruined the immersion of an otherwise very good story.
They're like Puck and Ishidoro in Berserk, they get in the way but until someone goes through and makes a version where they're almost completely edited out you're stuck with them, there, distracting you.

The China arc was pointless, though.

This for me too.

Grant Morrison's animal man and doom patrol run

Animated series was better IMHO. It adapted the comic really faithfully but improved on it, and gave it a nice ending.

Fuck it I'm doing a top ten in no particular order.

Death of Captain Marvel
All-Star Superman
I Kill Giants
New Frontier
Astro City
Manhattan Projects
Swamp Thing, both Wien's and Moore's
Annihilation
Stan and Jack's FF
Yossel

My dad has a giant poster of this at his home office. Loved looking at it as a kid.

That's my favorite too. The sense of loss I gained when I first truly understood it has been one of the most formative event of my entire life.

(Uncanny) X-Men from Giant-Size 1 to 175 is my second-favorite. I read that run (and all X-Men appearances that fall amongst it) every year.

Yeah, it was in the long run. That arc was still pretty good tough and I'm disappointed Ryo never used these techniques later in the serie.

I just read marvel and dc, what's the appeal of those comics? If they were good I would have heard about them before

They're all bait posts, just ignore them

Surely you've heard of Corto Maltese. It's an island in the DC Universe.

Daytripper by Ba&Moon
or Joe the Barbarian by Morrison&Murphy.

What're bottom left and right?

Just take it from Alan Moore when it comes to good comics that (mostly) aren't DC and Marvel.

How come Pekar's not on there?
Fair enough. Maybe part of it is that I actually encountered the character of Julius before knowing who he was based on.

Bottom's left's I Am A Hero. It's great.

Is there like any essential reading for Fantastic Four? I'd really like to get into them.

This is definitely up there not sure what else would be in my top. Hellboy more than likely and possibly Star Man when I finish them

Id recommend Hickman's run