Why are all epic fantasy movies bad except Excalibur, Conan the Barbarian, the Lord of the Rings trilogy...

Why are all epic fantasy movies bad except Excalibur, Conan the Barbarian, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and maybe Krull?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Db40S82sqic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>The Dark Crystal (Henson & Oz, 1982)
>Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Verbinski, 2003)
>The Princess Bride (Reiner, 1987)
>Star Wars (Lucas, 1977)
>Willow (Howard, 1988)
Are all good.

>Dragonheart (Cohen, 1996)
>Legend (Scott, 1985)
Are guilty pleasures.

And I obviously agree with the ones you mentioned, too.

Excalibur surpasses epic fantasy. The Once and Future King/legend and myth surrounding king Arthur is a staple of western literature.

>surpasses epic fantasy
>it's literally a fantasy epic
I'm sorry you're embarrassed to like fantasy user, but it is literally epic fantasy.

>the Lord of the Rings trilogy
The chasm between the beauty and seriousness of the work, and what it has become, has overwhelmed me. The commercialization has reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing. There is only one solution for me: to turn my head away.

>and maybe Krull
Full retard.

Wrong. Arthurian literature is not lord of the rings. It is not a fantasy genre.

It's text chronicling a "history" that's been fantasized

aka Historical Fiction. Not fantasy.

Sturgeon's Law.

No, that user was right and you're flat wrong. Fictionalized is not fantasized, you utter moron. Historical fiction doesn't add fucking magic. Read a book sometime, stupid.

Nope you are wrong. It's historical fiction.

>Excalibur is pulled from a stone but only by the worthy
>Lady of the Lake
>Merlin and Morgan Le Fay casting spells
>Quest for the Grail
This is pure fantasy, you twat.

You're an idiot.

Because John Boorman had spent years trying to get Excalibur made. It's the definition of a passion project.

But its based on a real period with actual people.

Any chance fantasy had of producing good movies was killed with the "progress" of cgi.

>Historical fiction is a literary genre in which the plot takes place in a setting located in the past. An essential element of historical fiction is that it is set in the past and pays attention to the manners, social conditions and other details of the period depicted.
Do you really believe magic exists in the real world?

Another uneducated, underage fag that knows nothing about culture. It's historical fiction. Learn something about history.

It's historical fiction. Guess you know nothing about English history.

>that
*who

Deathstalker's pretty cool.

Yor is some guilty fun aswell.

>it's historical fact that Arthurian legend happened as described
Again, do you really believe magic exists in the real world?

Good swordshit thread.

yes. It's called witchcraft and it's real.

Chronicles of Narnia is pretty good.

No it's not.

No hes not maybe french and english literature.

No it isn't.

Excalibur is mostly trash though

reddit must leave

Excalibur is a masterpiece

When Sup Forums was looking for movies with medieval settings and armor the best they could come up with was A Knights Tale with that homo druggie from brokeback mountain. I shilled Excaliber and now it's as common as capeshit

This board has always been pleb

It's not historical fiction. Idylls of the King isn't a history book.

Pleb.

>I
literally who?

Excaliburanon, who introduced Excalibur to this lowly board. Check the archives

This place has always had overwhelmingly shit taste because kewl kids starving for validation always name-dropping whatever's obscure/niche that they see getting parroted

Once in a while you see people who actually watch movies and they give you solid recs to watch, like whoever recommended Embrace of the Serpent two weeks ago (mah nigga)

So is Lord of the Rings ;-)

Beastmaster and Kull the Conqueror (not Krull, the one with Kevin Sorbo).

No idea why fantasy is such a shit genre. Maybe costumes are hard, or actors have a hard time taking it seriously?

That armor design is shit.

Say that to my face and not online and see what happens.

Ah, the armchair medieval warfare expert, a staple of every fantasy movie thread.

>excalibur

LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't have the pretension of science fiction, which can be as goofy and as unbelievable as the worst fantasy.

Fantasy's problems are deeply complex but mostly stem from the forced codification of what fantasy is by countless Tolkien imitators after Lord of the Rings got big in the 60s. Everyone copied what was popular so fucking much and often so badly that even the deconstructionist shit like Elric is still stuck in that mold, because to everyone out there, fantasy is a medieval landscape with mythological creatures. Dungeons & Dragons has varied settings full of bizarre stuff (look up Spelljammer) but people still would think 'oh you plays as elves and fight dragons right?'. Only /tg/ hipsters claim otherwise about muh iron age city states trying to look unique when every other small time hack has thought that up.

So if you try to go cray different, people don't like it because fantasy is mostly one big thing with little room for derivation because the masses are going to be confused.

>it's historical fiction

I'm a nationalist and a globalist

>based on a real period with actual people.
That have been influenced by fantasy and mythology so much the historical elements are completely absent. Is Excalibur the story of a Romano-British king (who we still don't have proof actually existed) fighting groups of Saxons? No, it's about a high medieval king who deals with magical problems in a fantasy version of England.

This, and because most of the films are made for kids/SJWs. They need blood, darkness, humour, masculinity, pride, love, adult scenes to be truly godly.

Beastmaster, you gooneybird fuck.

>No, it's about a high medieval king who deals with magical problems in a fantasy version of England.

I'd recommend the series Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell if you fancy a bit of magic in England type stuff.

>Again, do you really believe magic exists in the real world?
No. But my dubs do.

That was a pretty good series. Didn't like the Fairy stuff at all though.

>and maybe Krull?

A romance paperback disguised as a sword & sorcery film?

Yeah...no.

this scene is unironically hella fucking epic

youtube.com/watch?v=Db40S82sqic

>dude latin chanting lmao

At what point does historical epic can be called as epic fantasy?
I'm just thinking back to movies like Troy, the Last Samurai, Gladiator how they are a bit more on the side of not really keeping it historically accurate and romanticing stuff.

Those are called sword-and-sandal movies

Gladiator was fantasy. It portrayed an afterlife.

>dude atheism lmao