/cosmere/ - it's happening

Last fall, Chinese company DMG Entertainment bought the rights to Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere universe, a huge, interconnected epic fantasy world that includes some of the author’s best-known works. Now, DMG is using VR to pitch the story and world to potential buyers.

The company is reportedly spending “seven figures” to build the 15-minute VR session, according to Variety. It’s apparently based on the first book of Sanderson’s series The Stormlight Archive, The Way of Kings, an adaptation of which is being written by Saw writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan.

Variety reports that DMG is “two months into production on the virtual reality experience,” and that it’ll only be available to studios, although it will eventually be brought to consumers. Sanderson told Variety that “it’s amazing,” and explained that it includes storms, fights, and “canyons filled with alien life.”

While most pitches include the screenplay, artwork, or a sizzle reel to convince studios to pick up a story for a pilot or show, VR as a selling tool is something new. The intent is to show studios the depth of the world, comparing its potential to that of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth or George R.R. Martin’s Westeros.

Other urls found in this thread:

stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Prelude
stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Prologue
stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_1
stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_2
stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I guess Sup Forums is anti-LDS now. Oh, well. This shit's going to be awesome.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>*breathes in*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

brandon is pure shit

>the stormlight shitchive

no thanks

>comparing its potential to that of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-earth or George R.R. Martin’s Westeros.

wew

>post about COSMERE
>uses image for one of the shitties fantasy series that has no relation to the COSMERE

>seven figures” to build the 15-minute VR session
>Stormlight Archive, The Way of Kings,
What in the fuck are they even doing?
They're gonna fuck all these up

>Chinese company

welp

>"Well," Shallan said to the captain, blushing but still eager to speak, "I was just thinking this: You say that my beauty coaxed the winds to deliver us to Kharbranth with haste. But wouldn't that imply that on other trips, my lack of beauty was to blame for us arriving late?"
>"Well...er..."
>"So in reality," Shallan said, "you're telling me I'm beautiful precisely one-sixth of the time."
>"Nonsense! Young miss, you're like a morning sunrise, you are!"
>"Like a sunrise? By that you mean entirely too crimson"-she pulled at her long red hair-"and prone to making men grouchy when they see me?"
>He laughed, and several of the sailors nearby joined in. "All right then," Captain Tozbek said, "you're like a flower."
>She grimaced. "I'm allergic to flowers."
>He raised an eyebrow.
>"No, really," she admitted. "I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles I might have blown free with the force of my sneezes."
>"Well, be that true, I still say you're as pretty as a flower."
>"If I am, then young men my age must be afflicted with the same allergy-for they keep their distance from me noticeably." She winced. "Now, see, I told you this wasn't polite. Young women should not act in such an irritable way."

oh nonononononono... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>The man pulling the machine was short and dark-skinned, with a wide smile and full lips. He gestured for Shallan to sit, and she did so with the modest grace her nurses had drilled into her. The driver asked her a question in a clipped, terse-sounding language she didn't recognize.
>"What was that?" she asked Yalb.
>"He wants to know if you'd like to be pulled the long way or the short way." Yalb scratched his head.
>"I'm not right sure what the difference is."
>"I suspect one takes longer," Shallan said.
>"Oh, you are a clever one." Yalb said something to the porter in that same clipped language, and the man responded.
>"The long way gives a good view of the city," Yalb said. "The short way goes straight up to the Conclave. Not many good views, he says. I guess he noticed you were new to the city."
>"Do I stand out that much?" Shallan asked, flushing.
>"Eh, no, of course not, Brightness."
>"And by that you mean that I'm as obvious as a wart on a queen's nose."
>Yalb laughed.

Beautiful prose?
Witty banter?
Smooth flow?
Characters developed?

Can't tell if you're autistic or what?
Are you really taking all this time to greentext passages from the books?

but Sanderson isn't even on the same level as GRRM or JRRT. Hell, he can't even carry Glen Cook's jock strap so let's not even mention those two.

>>>/sffg/

Get this mormon shit out of here.

dude believing God is so ebin xD

It's being adapted for film/TV and being shopped to studios in a novel way. What's the issue? This is happening.

>Beautiful prose?
it's purple, m'lord

>Smooth flow?

>But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles
heh decent joke sandman, an original image
>I might have blown free
okay we get it dude, you don't have to expl-
>with the force of my sneezes."
jesusfuckingchrist

>Witty banter?
nonexistent

>Characters developed?
nonexistent

the book is garbage from the first chapter.

>copy+paste is hard

>DUDE KILL OFF BELOVED CHARACTERS OFFPAGE LMAO
>DUDE MAT IS LE JOSS WHEADON QUIP DICE MAN
>Forces in his OC donut steal character into the spotlight
>His end to Padan Fain
Sanderson is trash for what he did to WOT

>Sanderson is trash for what he did to WOT
pffffttt
Are you serious? WoT is complete trash.
If anything he made it better by fucking ending it.

>WoT is complete trash.
"no"

So Sandersons life work it now owned by the Communist Party and will be used as a means of propaganda.

Did he think this through?

Make your life better.

I'm sorry buds, but WoT is really really bad, and i've read every single one of those books.
I fucking regret ever picking it up to begin with.

Why would you make a VR experience to advertise a TV show?

Stormlight is alright, but honestly I wasn't that impressed. The world is interesting but the characters are crap and I wanted to strangle the fuck out of Shallan and ESPECIALLY Kaladin

>that scene where shallan exposes her safe hand
>she's supposed to be 16

how are they going to get this past the FCC

>WoT is really really bad
"no"

Dude they are angleing for movie theaters to be come VP theaters. People don't have too buy the hardwere, my guess it is the only way foward they see for theaters. Remember China owns AMC now, they are playing the long game here.

>w-were you staring at my safehand just now you pervert?!

I understand people not being able to afford 5,000 sqft screens installed at home but VR headsets? Why would anyone go to a theater for that?

That's dumb. How many years do they think this whole process will take? It'll be in the decades before they actually get most theaters converted over to that type of thing, and the margins for theaters is already so small.

Hight end VR isn't ever going too be consumer grade. It will happen just like any other tech slowly at first. One screen at a time.
Don't froget, where does all this expenive stuff get made?

>Chinese company
>Sanderson
>VR
>Saw writers
I hope this abomination actually makes it out of the door so I can witness it

I can't install an IMAX screen at home because it would require extensive construction. What is the limiter on high end VR?

just give me an HBO series where they fondle each other when riding out the flood in that hole

t. religious bigot

t. neckbear

Cosmere is already better than Westeros by miles and, seeing as how it gets better with each iteration, might just approach Tolkien tier. So "wew" all you like, lad, but the fact remains that this is a damned good series.

it's fucking anime

No, it isn't. Anime dweebs compare everything to anime because they are completely uncultured and have no other references to draw from besides what they read in high school English.

>Cosmere

fucking christ no it isnt

it's hot garbage

I never read it so can you give me a quick rundown on why its shit?

Ha ha, yeah it doesn't really connect with critics like yourself. It's going WORLDWIDE via DMG Entertainment tho. The FANS have been waiting for a mormony flick like this and let me tell you the VR demo is amazing. This is a project for the FANS. Critics might not get it. Kudos to Brandon, keep CRUSHIN IT and see ya on the top brotha!

So you did read the book then?

Who is vin?

way of kings, in order:

stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Prelude
>some powerful dudes are breaking an "oathpact" but you don't know what's going on so zzzZZZZZzz
>be sure to pay attention because this stuff might just come up after a few books!
>"you want plot in the 1st chapter? fuck you"

stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Prologue
>a faggot assassin is being epic and using a fairly cool magic system to kill someone
>he dresses in white because he wants his assassination target to know he's coming (makes no sense for assassin to have this cultural quirk - this is clearly something sandman thought up that he didnt want to justify. in fact he never justifies his cultural quirks. no, "muh honor" or "muh terrifying" is not good enough. i forget which justification he used.)
>there's an oblique reference to the guys from the prelude as statues, but who cares
>except for a single sentence at the end, zero plot related things happen this chapter and it's all given to animu fights
>"you want plot in the 2nd chapter? fuck you"

stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_1
>there's some battle going on and it's all very vague and boring zzzzZZZZzzzz
>no need to pay attention because kaladin gets captured and there is another timeskip for the next chapter
>ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens this chapter. 100% animu fights.
>"you want plot in the 3rd chapter? fuck you"

stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_2
>TIMESKIP LOL MORE THAN HALF OF THE CHARACTERS ESTABLISHED IN THE LAST CHAPTER ARE DEAD OR OTHERWISE IRRELEVANT (except kaladin)
>kaladin is captured and he meets some spren (wind spirits) which are useless, but he also meets another spren which isn't useless and this confuses him but it isn't actually interesting
>"you want plot in the 4th chapter? fuck you"

stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings:_Chapter_3
>Shallan PoV
>DROPPED

you seem upset

no i dropped it at the 4th chapter because literally nothing happened

Okay so all of his works take place in the same universe and he sprinkles references in each series set in it. Most of these references consist of one liners that don't mean anything to the reader and cameos. Eventually he plans to bring everything together and make these references worthwhile but his Cosmere universe right now is planned to be 30+ books and he wants to finish his epic fantasy series Stormlight Archive, the second mistborn trilogy, and the warbreaker sequel before he actually does something with with universe. The problem is that he's about to release book three of the ten book long epic so it'll take decades for him to actually get anywhere. Also after having read of his books I don't think he's capable of a project with a scope that big

Another mages and dragons story? Ugh

No it's even worse. Sanderson novels are anime in written form. I'm not joking when you read his fight scenes you'll think of an anime you watched.

No, they aren't. You've already been corrected once about this.

they're more boring than anime

>The few bites she’d taken earlier worked within her. She felt the familiar feeling, like a storm in her veins. Liquid awesomeness. The pain faded from her chest as she healed.
>She got going real fast real quick—so fast it was hard to control herself as she relaxed her awesomeness and tried to leap to her feet. She crashed into the wall at the end of the hallway instead, a sprawling heap of limbs.
Sanderson is trash

>anime in written form
Well duh.

JUST

>He kissed the plump mellow yellow smellow melons of her rump, on each plump melonous hemisphere, in their mellow yellow furrow, with obscure prolonged provocative melonsmellonous osculation.

>The visible signs of postsatisfaction?

>A silent contemplation: a tentative velation: a gradual abasement: a solicitous aversion: a proximate erection.
Sanderson is anime trash.

> GRRM is better than Sanderson
> Grouping GRRM and Tolkein
What the fuck is wrong with you

>He kissed the plump mellow yellow smellow melons of her rump, on each plump melonous hemisphere, in their mellow yellow furrow, with obscure prolonged provocative melonsmellonous osculation.

>The visible signs of postsatisfaction?

>A silent contemplation: a tentative velation: a gradual abasement: a solicitous aversion: a proximate erection.

jesus christ sanderson wtf

You were corrected. Don't lash out or it will happen again, and more harshly next time.

>GRRM is better than Sanderson
he unambiguously is, by miles

>Grouping GRRM and Tolkein
it's from the OP

>She felt the familiar feeling, like a storm in her veins. Liquid awesomeness.
What the fuck

Thanks for reminding me that Sanderson somehow made WoT worse

Sanderson is trash. My wife loves his stuff and tried to get me to read the way of kings, but it was just boring as shit.

>My wife loves his stuff
Let me guess your wife is childish and watches anime

>Cosmere is getting a seven-figure VR demo from the only true superpower left now that the US has left the Paris Accord, and will be adapted to satisfy the only true superpower's population which is currently propping up Hollywood
>WoT is being adapted by Sony and some con artists
The 20s will be the Decade of Cosmere

>>Forces in his OC donut steal character into the spotlight
desu Androl by himself was alright but when paired with that fucking Aes Sedai was awful.
The Last Battle should have been a few to tie up each story nicely. The Black Tower was rushed so much and there was fuck all Rand and Padan Fain. What the fuck was he thinking?

>China
>Superpower
Nice joke

*The Last Battle should have been a few books

>What the fuck was he thinking?
He didn't understand Jordan's notes and decided to do what he wanted to do

Unite them.

>understand
*read

>Forgetting him killing off Bela

No, not anime. Her choice in most forms of media is terrible, however.

el justo

WOW WHAT A HIT

Know what series really deserves some love? Way more than WoT or sandersons works?

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie and the black company by glen cook.

Those would be much more entertaining to watch

John scalzi's Old Man's War would make a pretty cool HBO series

but john scalzi is....... uh..... this........... thing

Liked the first one, couldn't get through the second.

Glen cook is miles better then gurm. BS and his tween trash shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as either

Black company def, fuck first law, Joes not as bad as BS but he's still a pretentious hack

You kids need to die, it was shit, from stating out right who killed asmo to mat turning into Lightsong, Brandon can't write 'witty' or 'clever' dialogue to save his life, they really pathetic thing about this is he genuinely seems to belive he's good at it and his babbies first fantasy fans agree

Liked the first one, couldn't get through the second.

bamp

Fuck this, if their going with nu-fantasy make Dresden Files