7. 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
8. The Seventh Continent
9. Cache
10. Funny Games
11. Benny's Video
12. The Castle

Haven't seen the rest.

best: the white ribbon
worst: Funny Games (i hate that he made this one just to show the audience how perverted they are for watching it)
underrated: Seventh Continent or Cache
overrated: Amour

Seventh Continent is my favorite film of all time.

Shame he's a cucklord

i love most of his films but he really shoves the marxist propaganda down your throat.
he's part of the regressive champagne-left in Europe.
don't you just love how he never misses an opportunity to condemn upper-middle-class people despite being an upper-class snob his whole life?
i guess the self-hate is strong with leftists.

Cache's whole premise was:
DUDE YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD FOR HAVING A GOOD LIFE WHILE UNEDUCATED ALGERIANS DON'T LMAO

STOP WATCHING MY MOVIES AND TAKE IN REFUGEES INTO YOUR HOME

Maybe it's just me who doesn't look at everything with a political lens but I took away a message of the past coming to haunt you from Cache

as is said, i love his films and can enjoy them despite the heavy handed moral teaching of his. but it's really hard not to notice that he hates upper-middle-class people and loves refugees as they are mostly the moral mouthpieces in his films like Majids son in Cache.

>the moral mouthpieces in his films like Majids son in Cache.
I don't know, the end credits scene gave me a creepy vibe so I didn't get the feeling that his son was the moral mouthpiece for the film

Majids son didn't do anything to Georges kid if i remember correctly? he just approaches him and talks to him a bit, then he leaves and the kid goes back to his friends.
maybe he told the kid the truth about his father and how he fucked over Majid?

The fact is we don't know what he said. But like I said I didn't leave the film with the feeling that Majid's son is a shining example of moral purity.

you think he sent the tapes?
>inb4 it doesn't matter who did

We don't know. Logically it doesn't make make sense how someone was even making the tapes.

the main character made the tapes

Is Haneke's morality rather like that of Lars von Trier, where he is incoherently angry at middle class people for being comfortable?

how do you know this?

Lars von Trier isn't angry at middle class people like Haneke. Lars hates all people the same. That's why i like him more than the moralfag Haneke.

But why, user? Why does Lars hate?
I think it would be funny to see an artfully shot short with a little blond kid accidentally rolling his ice cream scoop off the top of the cone, staring at it on the sidewalk, and then a title card explaining that this is the young Lars von Trier.

I hate everyone and i don't know why. It's just an incoherent rage aimed towards it all.

Best: Funny Games 1997
Worst: Benny's Video

lars had a very hard life. women were very cruel to him...

Which version of Funny Games should I watch?

I don't like any of his films. He's way too cynical and throws in shock value for the sake of seeming like a true artist.

>He's way too cynical
What you need a feel good capeshit film you little reddit piece of shit?

i prefer the US because the Austrian accent of the actors in the 1997 version makes me furious. it's something you can only get hung up about if you're german...

Oh my god. Internationally famous film director, talking like this, to a has been. That nigga needs to take them broken wings and learn to fly again, fo real tho.

Cheech and Chong...Chong was the bomb...

REFUGEES

no you fucking idiot
he thinks you're a terrible person if you were expecting Saw or Hostel when you watched Funny Games.

Also does anyone know where i can watch Happy End? I absolutely hate the message of about 60% of this guys work but as a filmmaker he is a master.

>Also does anyone know where i can watch Happy End?
it debuted one week ago in Cannes. don't know when the theatrical release is due.
according to cannes critics it's one of his weaker films and that says a lot if you consider they've been sucking his dick since more than 10 years...

It's a fake account.

he understood Hitler

the american version
i have no idea why people rate the 97 version higher. on a contextual level watching the american one makes much more sense

yeh apparently is a bit of a re-hash of some of his earlier stuff. which is a shame because the project he was working on called flashmob sounded much more interesting. im sure it will still be one of the best films i see in a cinema this year

I know but I want it to be true.
The only way it could be better is if Dunst herself wrote it.

I don't think his films really have clear messages, he likes asking questions more than answering them.

Obviously it's still a sore spot in France with Algeria and all, but Algeria did a bunch of bad shit too, and Haneke's portrayal of them isn't always exactly favorable (Code Inconnu subway scene).

Caché just wanted to show how swept under the rug all that violence and guilt really is. The main guy had every right to freak out due to those messages he was getting, but the worst part was that it was uncovering a dirty past. It's the ambiguity in his movies that really eats me.

Best: Code Inconnu, maybe Caché
Amour, La Pianiste, The White Ribbon are next
I respect The Seventh Continent but I can't say I ever want to watch it again.
I kind of agree with OP, I don't think it was supposed to be enjoyable at all.
Honestly, don't watch it. It's Haneke's worst imo, and he's notorious for intentionally going against what the audience wants to see. This one takes it to such an extreme that you are literally questioning what you're doing with your life while watching it. I wrote a thesis on Haneke and mentioned Funny Games as little as possible because it really is just a fuck you to the horror industry. Not a good watch, and this is coming from a big fan of his.
even if it's fake, it's still funny

this. the movie was developed with western audiences in mind. he just couldn't get american financing so he decided to relocate the project to Austria.

why was that flashmob film abandoned? in 2014 i heard that it was due to pre-production then he left it all of a sudden

i'd love to read your thesis man. any way for me to get it without you disclosing your identity?

>on a contextual level the American one makes much more sense

What does that mean?

Funny games is great, some people like to be disturbed and watch people do their best to survive despite the game being rigged so to speak

I'd be happy to upload it, but I did it during study abroad in Paris so it's actually in French